Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Rushed out for Christmas
1021 10 2018-12-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
theprisoner6666
lvl.3
Hong Kong

Anyone else getting the feeling that the Osmo Pocket was rushed out for Christmas sales? There's no accessories available, and no news when they will be. There's issues with compatibility with some Android phones (including my own LG G6+), and the only ones tested are all Chinese brands, which, tbh, pretty much excludes most of DJI's customers around the world. The Mimo app has lots of features missing that were mentioned during pre-release reviews, and even DJI's own advertising. And, admittedly through my own fault, I lost the iPhone adapter, and DJI's flagship store here in Hong Kong have no idea when they can get me a replacement one. I mean come on, 1000s of people are bound to lose these small adapters, so why doesn't a flagship store have bags of these things?

I love the device itself, but as usual, I keep reading about the same issues that have plagued DJI products since the early Phantom series, mainly connectivity and a lack of promised features that are churned out over years in drips and drabs.

Anyway, Merry Christmas all!
2018-12-17
Use props
Mr Sepo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 929334 ft
Australia

I am in agreement with you.  I have a Samsung Galaxy S7.  I was able to activate it with an adaptor from USBC to Micro USB.  However its impractical to use with my phone.  Without the Pro features that come with the software, I am dissapointed with this device.   I am not really willing to go buy a new phone and lets face it that interface is Micky Moused.  Without the accessories that I have to go purchase. Which I will as I know this device will improve.   All in all, it's what I want and it will be much better.... once I can get the damn wireless adaptor and gimbal wheel, ND filters, a mount, and....
2018-12-18
Use props
theprisoner6666
lvl.3
Hong Kong

Mr Sepo Posted at 12-18 00:24
I am in agreement with you.  I have a Samsung Galaxy S7.  I was able to activate it with an adaptor from USBC to Micro USB.  However its impractical to use with my phone.  Without the Pro features that come with the software, I am dissapointed with this device.   I am not really willing to go buy a new phone and lets face it that interface is Micky Moused.  Without the accessories that I have to go purchase. Which I will as I know this device will improve.   All in all, it's what I want and it will be much better.... once I can get the damn wireless adaptor and gimbal wheel, ND filters, a mount, and....

Definitely agree about the new phone reluctancy. All the tested ones aren't common outside China, and I'm now reading more and more comments about connection issues. Without ND filters and manual settings, it's more of a toy at the moment. I know it will happen eventually, but it shouldn't have been released yet; hence my original post about it being rushed out for Christmas.
2018-12-18
Use props
AngularIan
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Agreed, and it’s pretty obvious DJI rushed this release before Christmas to damage sales of the Go Pro Hero 7 at the biggest sales period of the year.

On the other hand, people would be complaining bitterly about not having it for the holiday period if they hadn’t released it. The lack of accessories, or even a date for them is a total pain, but faced with the choice of no Pocket or a Pocket with no accessories I think most would choose the latter.
2018-12-18
Use props
DanielVieira
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4633533 ft
  • >>>
Portugal

I use Samsung S8, that is not on DJI compatibility list and it works without any problem!

As for the accessories im only looking for ND filters...
2018-12-18
Use props
PiteousPlayer
lvl.2
Hong Kong

I agree but I support the decision of rolling the hardware out FIRST at this time of the year --- as long as the software and problems do get fixed and improved as advertised gradually if not shortly. Imagine everything suddenly works on boxing night. Stay with hope........ XDDD
2018-12-18
Use props
Cameleon
lvl.4
Flight distance : 60394 ft
United Kingdom

Standard DJI practice TBH, it was the same when I got my Mavic Air. Send a load of reviewers the product with a beta firmware which has all the features and get rave reviews, then release the current iteration fo the stable firmware with missing features until you get the features stable then release updated firmware. TBH theres not much missing from the firmware to make me regret getting it and being an Apple man, the app works perfectly so far (given its clearly based on DJI Go for the drones anyway). Focus hunting is the only real problem I see so far, but I'll just set it to AFS and manually tap when I want focus changing.

Big shame the accessories are not available but speaking to one local retailer he is hopeful the first lot (expansion pack etc) should be available early/mid Jan and should be getting a load of Pgytech ones to make up for the missing DJI ones (ND filters etc).
2018-12-18
Use props
Jeffuk
lvl.2

United Kingdom

AngularIan Posted at 12-18 00:30
Agreed, and it’s pretty obvious DJI rushed this release before Christmas to damage sales of the Go Pro Hero 7 at the biggest sales period of the year.

On the other hand, people would be complaining bitterly about not having it for the holiday period if they hadn’t released it. The lack of accessories, or even a date for them is a total pain, but faced with the choice of no Pocket or a Pocket with no accessories I think most would choose the latter.

I agree, but as you know it is illegal in the UK to misrepresent a product and DJI have for so many features stated that they are available when they are missing.  I think this is an error of judgement.  The DJI brand value should be bigger than the tactical seasonal sales figures for one product.  It is about trust and confidence in the brand. I do not believe they would have  lost significant sales if they had said in their current advertising that specific functions and accessories would be available "shortly" rather than say that they were currently available when you make your purchase.  There are too many of them for it to be a "momentary lapse".  It feels like a "way of doing business".

I am also somewhat weary when in reply to the specifc question when a feature that was expected to be on the product on delivery will be available we are told "we do not have an exact date ..." and nothing more.   I think we're adult and understand that, but I think saying "We do not have an exact date but our current target date is 31st Secember 2018 ..." would be more useful and reassuring and would be treating us as adults. It might also save DJI having product returned and the loss of customer confidence and goodwill.
2018-12-18
Use props
k9kids
lvl.3
Flight distance : 4951 ft
United States

Agree!

Don’t insult our intelligence by giving us lip-service regarding release dates for accessories.

I’m sure they’ve already turned on their suppliers with orders and manufacturing is well under way.

PGY is probably a subsidiary company somewhere down the chain and they’ll make money via Amazon/eBay in the meantime.

Grow up and put some friggin release dates out.
2018-12-18
Use props
theprisoner6666
lvl.3
Hong Kong

Jeffuk Posted at 12-18 03:01
I agree, but as you know it is illegal in the UK to misrepresent a product and DJI have for so many features stated that they are available when they are missing.  I think this is an error of judgement.  The DJI brand value should be bigger than the tactical seasonal sales figures for one product.  It is about trust and confidence in the brand. I do not believe they would have  lost significant sales if they had said in their current advertising that specific functions and accessories would be available "shortly" rather than say that they were currently available when you make your purchase.  There are too many of them for it to be a "momentary lapse".  It feels like a "way of doing business".

I am also somewhat weary when in reply to the specifc question when a feature that was expected to be on the product on delivery will be available we are told "we do not have an exact date ..." and nothing more.   I think we're adult and understand that, but I think saying "We do not have an exact date but our current target date is 31st Secember 2018 ..." would be more useful and reassuring and would be treating us as adults. It might also save DJI having product returned and the loss of customer confidence and goodwill.
Well said. These issues definitely harm the company's image and reputation.

I also don't see the issue with getting accessories out in time. How long does it really take to make ND filters? They only need to make around 50% of total devices manufactured, as this would easily meet demand because many people are casual users and wouldn't buy the filters anyway. I understand the point of day-1 updates because most devices were already packed and ready to ship while they were still developing the firmware, but surely they had enough time to iron out and test issues that people are experiencing?

It definitely seems they rushed out this device more than the Mavic series. I suppose it's more risky to rush out a device that can fly 500 meters in the air though!
2018-12-18
Use props
WebParrot
Second Officer
Flight distance : 23625 ft
  • >>>
United States

My opinion differs somewhat.  My take would be that the software was lagging behind the hardware!  The lead time on product development, testing, manufacturing, packaging, and distribution isn't something that can be rushed.  It's more likely that the testing of software was pushed before major bugs could be identified (hence some of the activation issues you read about on this forum).   I don't disagree with any of the concerns expressed over the limited compatibility, too.  With our experiences on some of the aircraft releases we have seen that accommodating the Android family of devices is very complicated.  I don't doubt that the open source nature of that operating system has had some effect as well.  Just my opinions.   
2018-12-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules