Australian Import GST costs
6622 9 2018-12-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
mpwobbly
lvl.2
Flight distance : 37500 ft
Australia

I have been trying to find out if DJI pay for the GST on items shipped to Australia. They claim to pay the tax on items shipped and refer to VAT but I want to know if the Australian GST is paid when items are shipped here.

I also need to know if the 10% GST, if paid, is shown on the receipt (what we call a 'tax invoice'). If it is not shown on the receipt then customs here will charge the 10% GST whether paid by DJI or not.

Anyone know? I have called DJI customer support and they are not sure what happens?

Thanks
2018-12-17
Use props
Boffin
Second Officer
Australia

Did you notice that local retail prices have not dropped?
Gerry Harvey would be delighted as they still sell the same imported stuff at the same inflated prices but now the Aust. Govt is smiling
2018-12-17
Use props
mpwobbly
lvl.2
Australia

Boffin Posted at 12-17 23:08
Gerry Harvey would be delighted as they still sell the same imported stuff at the same inflated prices but now the Aust. Govt is smiling

I realise you are not happy with 'Gerry' but the purpose of my post was to find out how DJI deal with the 'tax' they say they pay when it comes to the Australian GST. Do you know?
2018-12-17
Use props
mpwobbly
lvl.2
Australia

Boffin Posted at 12-17 23:08

I would prefer my question being answered - we all know Australians are being charged too much here.
2018-12-17
Use props
Boffin
Second Officer
Australia

mpwobbly Posted at 12-17 23:47
I realise you are not happy with 'Gerry' but the purpose of my post was to find out how DJI deal with the 'tax' they say they pay when it comes to the Australian GST. Do you know?

I wish that I did matey.

Still much cheaper to import the goodies  and cop the tax
My Lenovo Tab was listed at $749 in Oz, cost me $226 imported and runs dji Go4 sweetly. Even if it had 10% added it was a bargain

So maybe dji should ship with a 'tax invoice' , I just hope that they pass on the funds to the ATO but who knows?

2018-12-18
Use props
mpwobbly
lvl.2
Australia

Hi Boffin,

I do get your point because I have just purchased an item for $240 Australian from the USA sold here on Ebay Australia (stocked in Australia) for $740. As I said, most people are paying way too much for goods in Australia. I also agree that it, most of the time, does not matter having to pay the 10% GST. However, DJI claim to pay the tax and all I am trying to find out is does that apply to the GST or not. I have chatted online a couple of times and THEY don't know what their own statement means. Someone at DJI could try to clarify what 'Paying the Tax' means for us when shipping to Australia.

Cheers

2018-12-18
Use props
Boffin
Second Officer
Australia

It's maybe because we earn quite decent wages here in Australia. Less than $120 for a roof inspection is not worth the hassle what with insurance CASA fees and workcover a bloke is lucky to earn $75 an hour and then the maintenance costs of the drone need to be factored in so I usually quote $150 for a job and that's using a heavy machine though with a decent camera. Thermal and multi-spectrum jobs double that due to the camera costs that require to be recovered

Not using an (overpriced imho) Inspire btw as I prefer a few extra props for safety but do enjoy the redundancy of multiple dji A3 FCU's and GPS units so built a machine to  do my work.
2018-12-18
Use props
mpwobbly
lvl.2
Australia

Hi Boffin,

I have tried to get across to you that this thread was started to get an answer to the question about tax that DJI state that they will pay. I appreciate you want to talk about everything else but this but it is distracting from what I want to find out from DJI or anyone that has purchased from DJI that lives in Australia.

I don't want to offend you or anyone else but can you please stick to the question at hand and not keep going on about the price differences between the USA and Australia  and wages issues etc.,,  As I said I get it. But it is totally irrelevant to this thread. Please stick to the topic if you don't mind or not contribute if you do not know the answer. Please don't take offence.

Thanks
2018-12-18
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Hi mpwobbly, sorry for the late response. Double checked with the team, tax will be included when ordered from DJI online store directly. For Australia customers, there is no need to pay other fees, please kindly note. If you encounter any difficulties, feel free to contact us with your order number, we'll be here for help.
2018-12-19
Use props
mpwobbly
lvl.2
Australia

Hi DJI Susan,

Thanks for your reply but I honestly don’t understand what you mean by saying “tax will be included” - this is not responding to my question. I received a response from DJI this afternoon and they clearly explained the situation (exactly what I suspected) - DJI does not have an Australian business number and as such will NOT pay the GST nor issue a Tax Invoice (a receipt showing the payment of GST by the Vendor DJI).

DJI states on their website  that they pay the tax but in the Australian context this is not the case - particularly for our import tax called the GST.

I am certain that the problem getting this answered correctly is the lack of understanding of our GST system.

The earlier answer I received is what I expected. I only sought clarification because your website says it will pay the tax - maybe it does, but not the GST.

Thanks again I appreciate your trying to help.

Regards
2018-12-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules