Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Waterproof case for osmo pocket
123Next >
71089 117 2018-12-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
RikDingo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2358225 ft
France

The waterproof case is is shown on the osmo pocket page. But we can not buy it on the store. WWhen will it be available ?
I'm waiting for this part to buy the osmo pocket, so hurry up dji !

2018-12-17
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day RikDingo. Thank you for the inquiry and for the interest with the waterproof case for your DJI Osmo Pocket. As of the moment we still have no information when will the this accessory be available. For the latest news and updates for the DJI Osmo Pocket and its accessories please visit out official website at www.dji.com for further details. Thank you for your support.
2018-12-18
Use props
Biggruffbear
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Like RikDingo, I'm waiting for the waterproof housing. I'm going to Australia at the beginning of February, and will be diving the Reef. If the housing isn't available by the time I go, I won't be buying the Osmo. Full stop - too late. I'll do any above ground gimbal shots with my (brilliant) Mavic Air.
2018-12-30
Use props
fans7712ee05
lvl.1
Flight distance : 138376 ft
Mexico

You can not make a flat dome. There will be distortion under water. Need to make a sphere !!!
106B9332-8FDC-45B1-874E-5CE6916BB58F.jpeg
2019-1-8
Use props
Lyagukh
lvl.2
Flight distance : 68179 ft
  • >>>
Ukraine

fans7712ee05 Posted at 1-8 17:44
You can not make a flat dome. There will be distortion under water. Need to make a sphere !!!

I own lots of underwater housings: Olympus 8080, Olympus u720, Hammerhead for Sony handycams, Meikon for Sony RX100, GoPro 3 Black. All of them have flat viewports, none of them gave distortion. What have I done wrong? ;)

2019-1-8
Use props
Let4ik
lvl.1
Mexico

If the distance from the front lens to the dome a few millimeters, then there is no problem. When the distance is longer, distortions begin. The image with a flat dome will be 33% narrower than the real one. The spherical dome refracts light without distortion.
2019-1-8
Use props
mimimomo
lvl.2
New Zealand

If your only use-case is underwater, then you are better off with the GoPro 7 - the gimbal will basically be locked in that DJI housing.. Underwater shots are pretty damped and smooth anyway, so no real benefit to a gimbal in that environ.
2019-1-8
Use props
Lyagukh
lvl.2
  • >>>
Ukraine

Let4ik Posted at 1-8 19:32
If the distance from the front lens to the dome a few millimeters, then there is no problem. When the distance is longer, distortions begin. The image with a flat dome will be 33% narrower than the real one. The spherical dome refracts light without distortion.

It depends not as much on the distance you mentioned but on the lens focal distance. Consider all three kinds of distortions:
- refraction will in effect increase the focal length by approximately 25% - you see the same effect through your mask (and in a typical mask there is more than a few millimeters between your eye and the glass).
- radial distortion (pincusion) will be present with flat port and less so with spherical (or rather hemisperical) dome. It's effect is really noticeable for wide lenses unless we are talking about professional use for which OP is not suitable anyway. Also it can be corrected to some extent in post with one of several plugins for Photoshop
- chromatic aberration - roughly the same logic as for radial distortion

On the other hand hemispherical domes introduce problems with focusing. The port itself works like an additional lens element (and that only underwater) which creates it's own "virtual image". And you should focus on that virtual image, not the real thing. That's one reason why original underwater housing for GoPro Hero had poor underwater performance because GoPro has fixed focus and those housings had dome ports. Many divers including yours truly were forced to replace the dome with flat one. Even if your camera allows focusing, image in the corners may still be out of  focus with dome ports meaning you want to increase DOF by stopping down your lens - and underwater there is never too much light

All in all, unless you want to shoot with really wide lens, flat dome is IMHO acceptable for amateur underwater use.  
2019-1-9
Use props
Let4ik
lvl.1
Netherlands

mimimomo Posted at 1-8 20:01
If your only use-case is underwater, then you are better off with the GoPro 7 - the gimbal will basically be locked in that DJI housing.. Underwater shots are pretty damped and smooth anyway, so no real benefit to a gimbal in that environ.

in underwater photography the problem of stabilization is one of the main ones. It is not clear how well Osmo will work in low light conditions under water. Rhe light under the water is always not enough. Need to try with and without underwater lights
2019-1-9
Use props
RSW
lvl.4
Flight distance : 116736 ft
United States

Lyagukh Posted at 1-9 02:27
It depends not as much on the distance you mentioned but on the lens focal distance. Consider all three kinds of distortions:
- refraction will in effect increase the focal length by approximately 25% - you see the same effect through your mask (and in a typical mask there is more than a few millimeters between your eye and the glass).
- radial distortion (pincusion) will be present with flat port and less so with spherical (or rather hemisperical) dome. It's effect is really noticeable for wide lenses unless we are talking about professional use for which OP is not suitable anyway. Also it can be corrected to some extent in post with one of several plugins for Photoshop

There is one specific difference. Because of the gimbal movement within the housing, the camera angle will be constantly changing in relation to that flat port. You will certainly see the distortion as the gimbal moves. Walk up close to and aquarium. As long as you are looking straight ahead, distortion is minimized. Turn you head side to side and the distortion becomes evident.
2019-1-9
Use props
Let4ik
lvl.1
Mexico

It depends not as much on the distance you mentioned but on the lens focal distance. Consider all three kinds of distortions:
- radial distortion (pincusion) will be present with flat port and less so with spherical (or rather hemisperical) dome. It's effect is really noticeable for wide lenses unless we are talking about professional use for which OP is not suitable anyway. Also it can be corrected to some extent in post with one of several plugins for Photoshop

That's right. The radius of the sphere should be calculated so that the focus is at the correct point. I am sure that the flat dome will not work correctly with the gimbal
2019-1-9
Use props
Lyagukh
lvl.2
  • >>>
Ukraine

RSW Posted at 1-9 14:58
There is one specific difference. Because of the gimbal movement within the housing, the camera angle will be constantly changing in relation to that flat port. You will certainly see the distortion as the gimbal moves. Walk up close to and aquarium. As long as you are looking straight ahead, distortion is minimized. Turn you head side to side and the distortion becomes evident.

If you look at the housing DJI is advertising, it is apparent that it is not intended for large angular movement of the gimbal. Imagine you are going to do the selfie - which part of the housing will get into the view? Right, it will be the black rim You may call it a deficiency and I will not argue.  But it is what it is. And for small angular movements flat viewport will not introduce that huge a distortion.
2019-1-10
Use props
Lyagukh
lvl.2
  • >>>
Ukraine

Let4ik Posted at 1-9 16:41
That's right. The radius of the sphere should be calculated so that the focus is at the correct point. I am sure that the flat dome will not work correctly with the gimbal

We have to wait and see. If the housing will be available by summer, I will definitely buy it and give it a go.
2019-1-10
Use props
Let4ik
lvl.1
Luxembourg

Lyagukh Posted at 1-10 00:59
We have to wait and see. If the housing will be available by summer, I will definitely buy it and give it a go.

I think that third-party manufacturers will make the housing before the summer
2019-1-10
Use props
Lyagukh
lvl.2
  • >>>
Ukraine

Let4ik Posted at 1-10 15:30
I think that third-party manufacturers will make the housing before the summer

Who knows? I would imagine lots of AliExpress sellers will then pretend they have it, then they will fail to ship, people will be  frustrated, etc, etc Consider current situation with PGY phone holder for OP

Also I'm not sure I would trust small garage-like manufacturer ability to produce underwater equipment. While everyone who takes their equipment underwater should be prepared to loose it, probabilities are different
2019-1-11
Use props
Giammi
lvl.4
Flight distance : 847795 ft
Italy

That's why I kept my GoPro Hero 6 Black with Telesin dome along with the Osmo Pocket.. they're complementary products, not substitutes..
2019-1-11
Use props
Lyagukh
lvl.2
  • >>>
Ukraine

Giammi Posted at 1-11 08:01
That's why I kept my GoPro Hero 6 Black with Telesin dome along with the Osmo Pocket.. they're complementary products, not substitutes..

And then it comes to grading, flat/log profiles and D-cinelike
2019-1-11
Use props
Giammi
lvl.4
Italy

Lyagukh Posted at 1-11 09:15
And then it comes to grading, flat/log profiles and D-cinelike

Yes, you're rigth.. but I keep my GoPro only for underwater clips where you do not have to be too much consistent with the rest of the film.. colors are anyway too different..
Different case is to proper color match clips coming from the OP with those from my Mavic 2 Pro.. in that case yes, I definitely need D-Log or D-Cinematic at least
2019-1-11
Use props
Lyagukh
lvl.2
  • >>>
Ukraine

Giammi Posted at 1-11 09:19
Yes, you're rigth.. but I keep my GoPro only for underwater clips where you do not have to be too much consistent with the rest of the film.. colors are anyway too different..
Different case is to proper color match clips coming from the OP with those from my Mavic 2 Pro.. in that case yes, I definitely need D-Log or D-Cinematic at least

Even underwater it strongly depends on lighting conditions. And it is not always trivial to quickly understand where the sun is at the moment. And if you use some kind of artifical lighting - it becomes even more involved. One of the first lessons I learned some 15 years ago - shooting underwater at night is easier
2019-1-11
Use props
Let4ik
lvl.1
Netherlands

What have Gopro? There are hundreds of underwater cameras. Using the gimbal under the water is an evolutionary idea and it is very interesting to try to implement it. After we compare the results and the answer will become obvious whether it is necessary or not.
2019-1-13
Use props
Giammi
lvl.4
Italy

Lyagukh Posted at 1-11 14:59
Even underwater it strongly depends on lighting conditions. And it is not always trivial to quickly understand where the sun is at the moment. And if you use some kind of artifical lighting - it becomes even more involved. One of the first lessons I learned some 15 years ago - shooting underwater at night is easier

Yes, you're right. But I'm not an underwater photographer and I have no heavy equipment. Just taking some clips while scuba diving for fun.
2019-1-13
Use props
Lyagukh
lvl.2
  • >>>
Ukraine

Giammi Posted at 1-13 23:27
Yes, you're right. But I'm not an underwater photographer and I have no heavy equipment. Just taking some clips while scuba diving for fun.

Same for me. But the more you dive the better pictures/video you want Especially if you primarily dive in one and the same location where every moray eel is your personal friend
2019-1-14
Use props
fansae6f449d
lvl.1
United States

It depends not as much on the distance you mentioned but on the lens focal distance. Consider all three kinds of distortions:
- radial distortion (pincusion) will be present with flat port and less so with spherical (or rather hemisperical) dome. It's effect is really noticeable for wide lenses unless we are talking about professional use for which OP is not suitable anyway. Also it can be corrected to some extent in post with one of several plugins for Photoshop

Clear and helpful explanation!
2019-1-24
Use props
El Diablo
Second Officer

Germany

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2019-1-25
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Looks like a cool little gadget
2019-1-25
Use props
Talisa
lvl.1
Germany

Bringing back the original question:
Any update on availability of the DJI case?
in Europe?
I'm going for diving on Zanzibar end February. Would be great to have the case im my hands than. (Otherwise i need to carry my hugh case for my Panasonic with me)
Thx
Talisa
2019-1-25
Use props
OMSO_KRAPS
New
Canada

Talisa Posted at 1-25 02:03
Bringing back the original question:
Any update on availability of the DJI case?
in Europe?

Hi Talisa,

This is my very first post Joined the forum as well for some OSMO pocket tips and updates. I chatted with customer service. Still the same response from the very first post that actually answered the question. "no further information available please go to website". I too bought the pocket thinking to get some underwater shots with the case, this was for early Jan. That trip has passed but man I loved the pocket still got some great shots. Any who its just the waiting game now.
2019-2-1
Use props
Geopixlz
lvl.2

United Kingdom

So the OP got released at the end of November and it’s now February... I sold my black 7 to buy the OP and was going to purchase the underwater case which ultimately would give me a much better footage in shallow depths BUT where is the elusive case ?? Surely if they had it on demo at the launch of the Osmo pocket then why is it not ready for mass production ?? Was it just a not functional prototype ? Are they having heat issues ? To me this is typical DJI... promises and bent truth :/ I’m leaving to go full time travelling in a month time and I need an underwater case ! Had I known the case wasn’t going to be sold anytime soon I would have not purchased the OP and would have kept the GoPro black 7 !! not happy DJI... NOT HAPPY
2019-2-5
Use props
djiuser_ZnSgIVoCzqFr
lvl.1
Japan

Geopixlz Posted at 2-5 04:15
So the OP got released at the end of November and it’s now February... I sold my black 7 to buy the OP and was going to purchase the underwater case which ultimately would give me a much better footage in shallow depths BUT where is the elusive case ?? Surely if they had it on demo at the launch of the Osmo pocket then why is it not ready for mass production ?? Was it just a not functional prototype ? Are they having heat issues ? To me this is typical DJI... promises and bent truth :/ I’m leaving to go full time travelling in a month time and I need an underwater case ! Had I known the case wasn’t going to be sold anytime soon I would have not purchased the OP and would have kept the GoPro black 7 !! not happy DJI... NOT HAPPY

I’m the same. I’ve been wating for the waterproof case since OP came out. I will be gone for long vacation the end of next month. I guess dji has a problem with the port. The port should be bigger to cover the move of its lens. I hope they will start selling asap. Please dji!!! You guys make awsome stuffs. Don’t make me disapointed.
2019-2-5
Use props
StardustGeass
lvl.4
Germany

Been waiting to get an underwater case because on march I'll be going to snorkel.
I hope I don't regret buying this device because of the long wait of promised accessories.

Tbh, waiting as well for the charging case and the stick, but those two can wait.
2019-2-5
Use props
Geopixlz
lvl.2

United Kingdom

DJI ADMINS ?? Any idea when the case is going to be released ? March ? July ? November ? 2020 ? Please give us at least a time frame !
2019-2-5
Use props
Brainbustah
lvl.2

United States

What's the point of having an action camera without a proper waterproof housing?
2019-2-6
Use props
El Diabolico
lvl.4

Germany

Welcome to the waiting impatiently list bud...
2019-2-7
Use props
El Diabolico
lvl.4

Germany

djiuser_ZnSgIVoCzqFr Posted at 2-5 06:00
I’m the same. I’ve been wating for the waterproof case since OP came out. I will be gone for long vacation the end of next month. I guess dji has a problem with the port. The port should be bigger to cover the move of its lens. I hope they will start selling asap. Please dji!!! You guys make awsome stuffs. Don’t make me disapointed.

Please don't make assumptions when you have no proof. There are a couple of demos outhere (in an Expo and just some random guy ) that they show the gimbal underwater and how to insert it on the case and there's no issue whatsoever with clearance.

Companies rarely have availbale all accessories on launch. It happens all the time in the Photography industry for many reasons. Don't forget that we are still in winter, as do the majority of the countries where DJI has the higher sales volumes.
2019-2-7
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Brainbustah Posted at 2-6 23:56
What's the point of having an action camera without a proper waterproof housing?

You do have a waterproof for an action camera, it’s called go pro, lol
2019-2-7
Use props
djiuser_ZnSgIVoCzqFr
lvl.1
Japan

hallmark007 Posted at 2-7 01:59
You do have a waterproof for an action camera, it’s called go pro, lol

Hi DJI! You don’t have to wait until summer!!! We are sure to buy even water is still cold!!! Waterproof case is good in the rainy days too!!! Hurry up please.
2019-2-16
Use props
Brainbustah
lvl.2

Czechia

Guys, while DJI decides when to release this water case... can I use one of these universal cases for phones with Osmo Pocket to dive into the water?
2019-2-16
Use props
v-man
lvl.1
United States

Brainbustah Posted at 2-16 14:46
Guys, while DJI decides when to release this water case... can I use one of these universal cases for phones with Osmo Pocket to dive into the water?
[view_image]

What’s so stinking hard about a waterproof case?  TSMC having trouble with the chipset? Rare earth metals in short supply?  Self driving AI bugs? Chinese union workers on strike? Dilithium crystals cracked?

It’s just a piece of plastic.  Come on now!
2019-2-22
Use props
Serb
lvl.2

Brazil

Brainbustah Posted at 2-6 23:56

The point is cashing in on the hype before year's end/during Xmas when people buy all kinds of crap they don't need, all while dangling the underwater case carrot in front of all our faces, never telling us that they had no means of even producing it in time for anyone who originally purchased it to actually buy and use with their cameras.

And apparently it's easier to product this technological wonder full of processing chips, electronics, gimbals, etc... but making a plastic case for it takes months?

Get outta here, DJI...
2019-2-23
Use props
fansb032203f
New
United States

DJI Stephen Posted at 2018-12-18 08:02
Hello and good day RikDingo. Thank you for the inquiry and for the interest with the waterproof case for your DJI Osmo Pocket. As of the moment we still have no information when will the this accessory be available. For the latest news and updates for the DJI Osmo Pocket and its accessories please visit out official website at www.dji.com for further details. Thank you for your support.

Hi DJI, i know you guys are working hard for Osmo Pocket waterproof case. Do you have estimated date of release?
2019-2-24
Use props
123Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules