DJI needs to get rid of the auto charging on Android
8014 33 2018-12-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
saviour
lvl.4
Flight distance : 604203 ft
Germany

Normally, I can use my RC controller with all my 3 M2P batteries.

Today I've been flying 1,5 batteries with my drone, at around 0°C, while my phone was at 100% and after those ~35 minutes flight time, I got the warning that my
RC battery is running low. At that point it passed the 20%, so I landed, meaning I couldn't even get my 3rd battery to be used. This literally sucks. There should be
an option to turn off the charging of the remote on Android, else the RC controller gets drained way too fast by some phones.

2018-12-18
Use props
integer
Second Officer
Flight distance : 113355784 ft
Greece

Dji does not hear us
2018-12-18
Use props
Viper Pilot
lvl.4
Flight distance : 31644 ft
United States

Did you start your flying with your Android device fully charged??   
2018-12-18
Use props
ny300z
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2603478 ft
United States

Viper Pilot Posted at 12-18 09:25

even with the phone fully charged it will keep pulling power from the RC as the phone power goes down. This becomes an issue when flying a lot in one day and if you dont charge on the go. The OP is right, this needs to be fixed and its been a very long time coming.
2018-12-18
Use props
saviour
lvl.4
Germany

Viper Pilot Posted at 12-18 09:25

As I said, I was at 100%. Please read more carefully.
2018-12-18
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day saviour. Thank you for raising this concern today. The reason for this concern is it is related to the android system and hardware. The Android phone needs on-going 500mA to maintain the USB connection, so there is no option for the Android device to disable the Charging mode. Thank you for understanding.
2018-12-18
Use props
HedsIc
lvl.4
Flight distance : 478757 ft
United States

On my Note8 I always get a pop up when I plug it in to make the connection data or for charging. I select Data and it doesn't charge my phone at all.  Maybe it's just a Samsung thing and not an Android thing though. Gives me the same option on my GF's S9 when I use it as well.
2018-12-18
Use props
Paul_
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4472 ft
United States

Have used both Samsung S6 an S8, never have received the option of data or charge.
2018-12-18
Use props
ny300z
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2603478 ft
United States

yea i dont get that message either on my s7 or my dedicated samsung cricket phone
2018-12-18
Use props
G_Sig
Second Officer
Flight distance : 9109311 ft
Iceland

Have you turned Fast Charging off?
I fly out 6 battery before charging the controller +-18 min on each.
Samsung S7 or Acer Iconia One 10 .
2018-12-18
Use props
saviour
lvl.4
Germany

As far as for what I've seen, you can't turn off fast charge on Huawei. It will always charge the fastest way possible.

@DJI Stephen: Can't you limit the charging to 500mA then? It would slow down the discharging of the RC significantly, slow enough to use all your drone batteries before having to recharge the RC.
2018-12-19
Use props
HereForTheBeer
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

DJI Stephen Posted at 12-18 11:48
Hello and good day saviour. Thank you for raising this concern today. The reason for this concern is it is related to the android system and hardware. The Android phone needs on-going 500mA to maintain the USB connection, so there is no option for the Android device to disable the Charging mode. Thank you for understanding.

what?  android charges at 1.75 amps and ios at 0.5 amps on these controllers.. plus a bit of simple math you find that 0.500 amp load wouldn't barley make a large impact on usable battery life, where as 1.75 amps will..  

mavic air controller has a 2970 mah battery.. assuming 85% step up DC-DC conversion to 5V's at output amperage of whatever,  for charge circuit means 2524 mAh of the battery is usable because 15% conversion loss...   simple math means just charging the phone alone, no other controller loads anywhere,  means 86 minutes of use time pumping power to the phone. or about 1.44 hours..  but at 0.500 amps that usable time with 85% efficiency curve = 5 hours ...   

2018-12-19
Use props
AlansDronePics
Second Officer
Flight distance : 814751 ft
Guernsey

I use the normal USB lead from under the controller and there is no charging. Remember to unplug the lead to the top left port or it won't work.
The 500ma comment may be true, but the answer given is not helping the op. Try the method I suggested, it is there for that reason.
2018-12-19
Use props
HereForTheBeer
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

AlansDronePics Posted at 12-19 01:00
I use the normal USB lead from under the controller and there is no charging. Remember to unplug the lead to the top left port or it won't work.
The 500ma comment may be true, but the answer given is not helping the op. Try the method I suggested, it is there for that reason.

does not work, been debunked before maybe on mavic 2 but mavic air and below nope.... i actually plugged in a USB power meter to that power to get my numbers   1.75 amps for android and 0.5 amps for iOS.

and side port is a pain.. i need to find my micro USB to OTG adapter  and see what power that's pumping out..but i imagine its similar..
and the bottom port is there for expandability to other devices and mount kits as well as connecting other accessories like the goggles..also there incase your cable breaks...just a backup port overall... if anything full size USB port carries more power as micro is only certified to carry up to 2.0 amp but not uncommon it carries up to 2.45amps where as type A (standard size) can much more and at higher voltages..not entirely sure what its certified for beyond the voltage limit of 24 volts vs voltage limit of micro usb which is 5.0 volts
2018-12-19
Use props
Balaes
lvl.4
Flight distance : 14241171 ft
  • >>>
Romania

Hello,
at Mavic 1 and Mavic 2, if you use the bottom (USB) port on the remote control, the phone's charging does not work. Charging the phone from the remote is work as far as I saw only using the top (microUSB) port on the remote control.
2018-12-19
Use props
integer
Second Officer
Greece

Balaes Posted at 12-19 01:40
Hello,
at Mavic 1 and Mavic 2, if you use the bottom (USB) port on the remote control, the phone's charging does not work. Charging the phone from the remote is work as far as I saw only using the top (microUSB) port on the remote control.

depends on the android device you have
2018-12-19
Use props
Dioden
lvl.4
Sweden

This behaviour does not happens on Mavic only, I have the same issue and I’m still running two PH3Pro and have the same issue, the first one I bought when it came out on the market and it’s growing old now but still works fine.
2018-12-19
Use props
HereForTheBeer
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

currently doing a dull drain test with mavic air RC... because im awake and bored.... so far after 71 minutes i have dropped from 84% on the controller to 33%   using my LG V10 with 100% battery, 100% screen brightness (to mimic typical outdoor use case), no background apps running, just plugged into the bottom port with a quality anker cable.   

84% of 2970mAh = 2495mAh was remaining at the start   and 33% = 980mAh    for easy figuring lets say it use up 50% in 1 hour 10 minutes.. meand 2 hours 20 minutes theoretical if your battery % on your phone is 100% and thus the power coming out of the charger is only powering whatever it costs to run it and maintain it as well as im assuming Dji didnt cheap out too much and the curve is linear for the DC to DC converters (doesnt appear to be the case as its already dropping faster n the controller now im below 30%) ....  that means controller with 100% phone battery and just attempting to maintain it + watever the output of the wifi is on the RC for mavic air is using ~1.48 amps directly off the battery in the RC...  we can maybe assume ~0.3 amps probably going to output of the wifi system alone assuming 85-90% DC-DC power conversion on the RF system assuming FCC power budget (5.8Ghz 1000mw ERP)..   and 50-100mA to run low lele stuff on the RC itself.. so roughly 1 amp is still being pumped out for my LG V10 with a 100% battery, with deeper charging load + phone power budget to run with screen on i can imagine that jumps up more to what i seen on my power meter..

2018-12-19
Use props
Balaes
lvl.4
Flight distance : 14241171 ft
  • >>>
Romania

integer Posted at 12-19 01:58
depends on the android device you have

i tested that on Galaxy S8 and Note 9. On both phones, in the top port of the remote, the charging is working
2018-12-19
Use props
Lucas775
Second Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

Its in the android system that cannot be change by DJI.   
2018-12-19
Use props
integer
Second Officer
Greece

Balaes Posted at 12-19 03:38
i tested that on Galaxy S8 and Note 9. On both phones, in the top port of the remote, the charging is working

in my android device the charging working in both ports
2018-12-19
Use props
HereForTheBeer
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Lucas775 Posted at 12-19 04:15
Its in the android system that cannot be change by DJI.

they can change it, they even claim 0.500 amps is the min needed.. which is about what iOS uses.. however Android as i measured uses 1.0 amps and 1.75 amps

also mavic 2 also apparently has a toggle in the app to reduce or disable charging...however i cannot verify that myself and what it may or may not work with and how much energy is being pushed out because i dont have a mavic 2 :/  
2018-12-19
Use props
HereForTheBeer
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

so some early but frankly prob my last isolated testing results are in for my testing:

all testing done indoors, climate controlled, in same location, and from the bottom full sized USB port using decent/expensive Anker charge cables of same 3 foot length each test was done from 85%-90% RC battery, 100% phone battery minutes each test calculated on 60-70 min run.

Android plugged into Mavic Air RC:  estimated 1.0 amp draw using LG V10 100% battery, 100% screen brightness, all background apps closed, OS is as updated as allowed..  theoretical max runtime of the RC would be 2 hours and 20 minutes.. before completely died..  which lines up as i drew 50-51%  of the RC battery during my slightly over 1 hour test... double it and 2 horus and some change.

iOS. estimated draw is 250mA with iPhone X (latest iOS) 100% battery, 100% screen brightness (but dim camera settings because i forgot AMOLED does not draw power for black pixels DOH).  assuming same 300mA for the output for RF (FCC, 1 watt 5.8Ghz) + same 50-100mA to run low level stuff.. thats 0.65 - 0.70 Amps draw off the battery directly..  and in my hour and small bit of change testing, i used 20% RC battery.. means about 5 hours if even and linear.. and at 650mAh draw rate.. that's about 4.6 hours.. so..again math seems close enough.

to add to this, the my iPhone kept going in and out of charging when i wasn't in the dji go 4 app after finishing my testing. making its charging bong sound thing every 10 or so seconds, leads me to think its less than 500mA power as 500mA is least you need to sustain the charge mode..
2018-12-19
Use props
saviour
lvl.4
Germany

The point is, that in the end, this behaviour needs to be changed. What's the point of having 3 drone batteries when I can only use 2 of them before my RC controller battery is empty?

Just to clarify again, I use the bottom USB port of the RC and I am using a fully charged Huawei P20 Pro.
2018-12-19
Use props
HereForTheBeer
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

saviour Posted at 12-19 07:57
The point is, that in the end, this behaviour needs to be changed. What's the point of having 3 drone batteries when I can only use 2 of them before my RC controller battery is empty?

Just to clarify again, I use the bottom USB port of the RC and I am using a fully charged Huawei P20 Pro.

Dji can change it, i dont understand why they arent..  android pulls 1.0 - 1.75 amps over the RC's USB  and iOS pulls 0.25 - 0.50 amps.  so they have control over the charge system, obviously as iOS will pull same power if provided..

it was stated that android needs 500mA (0.50amps) to keep a connection over USB.. so the question is why the hell is dji allowing the USB to dump almost 4x min needed over USB for android and why isn't there limiting toggle in the app at the very least to limit the power to 500mA...?
2018-12-19
Use props
saviour
lvl.4
Germany

Bumping so that topic doesn't get forgotten
2018-12-22
Use props
djiuser_TvLrt9bABvmL
New
Flight distance : 31896 ft
Sweden

What's new on this topic?
2019-1-26
Use props
Nicoricosancho
Second Officer
Flight distance : 13196 ft
Canada

any solution on this yet ? using Huawei P20Pro as well
2019-3-30
Use props
saviour
lvl.4
Germany

Of course not
2019-3-30
Use props
AlansDronePics
Second Officer
Flight distance : 814751 ft
Guernsey

These will solve the problem.
The first (photo) will be the easiest, because you will most likely have all the parts already.
102531shqjk1h3ijilocqz.jpg
100543hm0fe6lilvosuf1j.jpg
2019-3-30
Use props
pinpin bobis
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1661824 ft
Spain

did anyone tried to borrow iphone and turn it off the charging mode from it and back to android?
2019-10-28
Use props
Jimmy hoffa
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1824291 ft
  • >>>
United States

Yes when u go back to android the app knows....the options for charging (ios) even disapear in the app.....so it knows the difference between ios and android devices
2019-10-29
Use props
Chyna
lvl.1

United States

integer Posted at 2018-12-18 08:06
Dji does not hear us

Welcome to the  Chinese culture ...they will never admit that they are wrong !
When you buy a Chinese product where a foreigner did not supervise..you get crap Chinese products such as the DJI.
2020-2-14
Use props
giuseppe.velard
lvl.1
Italy

If, as one of the moderators in this thread said, the problem is precisely and only with the Android system, for which DJI cannot solve in any way, I wonder: why DJI has developed (or had developed) an app for the Android system knowing that this gap in the automatic recharge of the mobile phone by the remote control is not properly a little gap ?? only to sell his drones in much greater quantities than he could have sold if he had admitted that his remote controls were interfacing correctly ONLY with iOS systems ?? I say there was bad faith ...
2020-9-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules