Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Testing Ronin S + Canon 5d3 (Magic Lantern) + follow focus
2864 2 2018-12-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DmytroK
lvl.4
Ukraine

Hi,
When I was thinking about purchase of Ronin-S, I was worried about, how it will perform with my Canon 5d mark III running Magic Lantern. I've found in the manual, that Ronin was tested with 1.3.5 Canon firmware, but I'm still on 1.1.3 (because of ML).

My current setup: Canon 5d mark III (ver.: 1.1.3)  with Magic Lantern (experimental crop_rec build, published on 2018-07-22). Ronin-S firmware version: v1.7.0.60, and EF16-35 f4 IS

To test follow focus features, I've decided to buy a simple Micro-to-Mini USB adapter (~ $1) and use it with included original MCC-to-MicroUSB cable.

IMG_20181218_180835.jpg

IMG_20181218_181623.jpg

Here is a video:
(Please, turn ON the subtitles to read my comments (press PAUSE if you need)! This video is for test purposes only, so don't judge the overall quality of it.)

When camera is disabled: follow focus blinks red LED
As soon as camera booted, we see the continuous green LED light.
When we reach the limit of a focus distance, we're getting the message on a screen.
The soft limits are on both sides.

After message is gone, the screen "reloads" the image, and we can see a focusing window for a second.

The lens' auto focus works not as usual. It makes loud clicks for each step.

Focus/record button.

It doesn't focus on a half press :/

With a full push it should start a record. But it only goes to a black screen with overlays, and the record timer stays at 00:00
I've waited for a few minutes, but nothing changes.
So, to Start recording we need to press 3 times. With short delays between them.

Nevertheless, it stops recording with only one push. It's nice ))

Most of the times, it started recording after 3 pushes of the button.
But in some circumstances, it could start recording after the first push.

2018-12-18
Use props
DmytroK
lvl.4
Ukraine

Small update: Auto focus actually WORKS on a half press. I forgot, that I use a back AF-ON button on my camera, and it disabled on the main trigger button. So, the only problem with ML is Start recording on a 3-rd press. Without ML a recording starts as it suppose to do.
2018-12-18
Use props
DmytroK
lvl.4
Ukraine

So, I hope I can confirm, that Ronin S works with Canon 5d mark III without ML, on an old firmware 1.1.3 with Micro-to-Mini USB adapter.
So, who wants, can actually buy a dedicated original cable MCC-MiniUSB.
2018-12-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules