4k v Superfine
8346 18 2018-12-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Jeffuk
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Hi all.

What is the difference between 'superfine' and 4k please and when would you choose one over the other.

Thanks.

2018-12-19
Use props
Pancaro77
lvl.2
Flight distance : 225866 ft
France

I'd like to know the difference as the "superfine" mode comes with a heat warning...
2018-12-19
Use props
mareklew
lvl.2
Flight distance : 4026 ft
United States

Superfine is higher bitrate. The 1080p or 4k is resolution of the video, the Fine/Superfine is bitrate choice, so how many MB/minute are saved. Upping any of these two choices means more data to be processed per second, i.e. more heat. Maxing both out means max heat and it may be then too much to operate continuously, especially in hot environment.
2018-12-19
Use props
Jeffuk
lvl.2

United Kingdom

.... thanks for your trouble but as a non-techy who doesn't know a bit rate from a dog byte can you offer any opinion as the second part of my question ie >>and when would you choose one over the other.<<

Thanks.
2018-12-19
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
Second Officer

United Kingdom

Superfine just means a higher quality image. More dynamic range, more information captured. Possibly easier to grade after shooting. The downside is it creates huge files and needs more processing power to handle playback or editing of the files.
2018-12-19
Use props
Jeffuk
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Thanks.  I'm sorry my question lacked clarity and appreciate your effort.  Is superfine a higher quality image than 4k?  Why would you choose Superfine rather than 4k.  Thanks.
2018-12-19
Use props
spicemeister
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Jeffuk Posted at 12-19 09:48
Thanks.  I'm sorry my question lacked clarity and appreciate your effort.  Is superfine a higher quality image than 4k?  Why would you choose Superfine rather than 4k.  Thanks.

In the interest of keeping it simple, superfine is basically a better looking image as it stores more data, but the downside is that it will heat up quicker and battery will probably go quicker too.

Because there's more data, if you wanted to edit the colours etc after filming, you could do a bit more colour editing with the superfine option. If you won't be doing too much editing with it and just want it for general consumer use, then you probably don't need to use superfine, save your battery/SD space and record more.
Hope that helps!

Also one last note, superfine is in addition to 4K and not instead of, so you'll still be shooting 4K, just with more data.
2018-12-19
Use props
Jeffuk
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Thanks,  for your help.  Power won't be an issue as on "heavy" days I plan to keep the OP topped up with a power bank.  

So does superfine provide as much data and detail as say raw compared to JPG or is it far less?   

Also on my app it shows superfine as an option along side 1080 and instead of 4k.  In other words 4k or 1080 or 1080+superfine.  Have I misunderstood?

2018-12-19
Use props
FMFlyingMonkey
lvl.1
United States

Can someone help me with the following question- I understand that in order to use the advanced modes or settings you need to connect to a smartphone.  After you connect to a smartphone and change the settings, do the settings remain if you disconnect the phone or do they revert back to whatever standard/auto settings? I am debating whether I want to get the Osmo Pocket but I don’t want to have a phone attached all the time to have control over iso, shutter speed, etc etc. if the settings remain after disconnecting that would be acceptable.
2018-12-19
Use props
mareklew
lvl.2
Germany

Jeffuk Posted at 12-19 09:48

These two options are independent on each other.
1080p vs. 4k is what for a still photo camera would be 2 megapixel image or 8 megapixel image. Pretty much goes about how fine details can still be recognized in the image.
Fine vs. Superfine is about bitrate, so about how much data is saved for each image. For scenes where there's a lot of motion (even small motion, but of many things at once, like a tree with a lot of leaves weaving in the wind), the moving objects will become somewhat more blurry with Fine than with Superfine. Whether you'd see the difference and whether it would matter depends on what you do later on with the video. If you put it on Vimeo or YouTube... not likely much difference
2018-12-19
Use props
mareklew
lvl.2
Germany

FMFlyingMonkey Posted at 12-19 10:28
Can someone help me with the following question- I understand that in order to use the advanced modes or settings you need to connect to a smartphone.  After you connect to a smartphone and change the settings, do the settings remain if you disconnect the phone or do they revert back to whatever standard/auto settings? I am debating whether I want to get the Osmo Pocket but I don’t want to have a phone attached all the time to have control over iso, shutter speed, etc etc. if the settings remain after disconnecting that would be acceptable.

They kind of stay, but don't stick.
Once you unplug the phone, all settings (except for object tracking, I think multi-point motion lapse and such) stay and survive a power off-on cycle. BUT you are stuck in the last used mode - Photo or Video. If you as much as try to switch modes, Osmo will ask you to leave the Pro mode and all settings that are not available on the device directly get reset. This is also for all panorama modes: even if you put Osmo Pocket in Photo Pro mode, Panorama is not available without leaving the Pro mode.
2018-12-19
Use props
spicemeister
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Jeffuk Posted at 12-19 10:11
Thanks,  for your help.  Power won't be an issue as on "heavy" days I plan to keep the OP topped up with a power bank.  

So does superfine provide as much data and detail as say raw compared to JPG or is it far less?   

It will be a lot less data than raw but will allow for a little more colourgrading than without superfine on.

This is what I see on my phone. Resolution at the top, then video frame rate, then choose between fine and superfine. I believe for 4K, superfine is only available at 25fps, not sure about HD though.

2018-12-19
Use props
Pete84
lvl.2
United States

FMFlyingMonkey Posted at 12-19 10:28

There are certain functions that remain.

Currently when connecting the phone to the osmoPocket, you enter pro mode.  You can change shutter speed and ISO.  When you disconnect, the "pro" mode option is retained.  If you hit the multi function button (the non-record button), it'll ask you if you want to exit Pro mode.

There's some items you that stays on indefinitely like file type (MP4 or MOV).  If you choose one, it'll stay permanently until you choose another.
2018-12-19
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, thanks for the inquiry. Advantages: A superfine video/picture has higher definition and less noise. This advantage is particularly obvious when using the Osmo Pocket to shoot night scenes. However, the camera will generate excessive heat and the battery will drain quickly. You may refer to the explanation below. Thank you for continued support.

Shooting with DJI Mimo: Users can enable superfine shooting in 1080P 24/25/30 and 4K 24/25.
Using the Osmo Pocket only: Users can enable superfine mode shooting in 1080P30.
2018-12-20
Use props
Jeffuk
lvl.2

United Kingdom

DJI Tony Posted at 12-20 12:23
Hi, thanks for the inquiry. Advantages: A superfine video/picture has higher definition and less noise. This advantage is particularly obvious when using the Osmo Pocket to shoot night scenes. However, the camera will generate excessive heat and the battery will drain quickly. You may refer to the explanation below. Thank you for continued support.

Shooting with DJI Mimo: Users can enable superfine shooting in 1080P 24/25/30 and 4K 24/25.

Many thanks.  Does the Pocket have  a thermo cut out to protect it from self-damage?
2018-12-20
Use props
mareklew
lvl.2
United States

Jeffuk Posted at 12-20 14:15
Many thanks.  Does the Pocket have  a thermo cut out to protect it from self-damage?

yes. It will shut down if hot. Not sure if it shuts down gracefully (i.e. without data integrity problems on SD card) as I didn't test it.
2018-12-21
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Jeffuk Posted at 12-20 14:15

Hi, thanks for the prompt reply. You mean if the Osmo Pocket will automatically shut down when it reaches the heat limit?
2018-12-21
Use props
Jeffuk
lvl.2

United Kingdom

DJI Tony Posted at 12-21 11:30
Hi, thanks for the prompt reply. You mean if the Osmo Pocket will automatically shut down when it reaches the heat limit?

Yes. ........
2018-12-21
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

We will double check this query with our team for further clarification. Thank you for understanding.
2018-12-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules