3474 17 2018-12-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Keule
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3733015 ft
  • >>>
Germany

TB50 & TB55 User Guideline   (Updated – 19 December 2018)

Background

DJI   released a firmware update on 16 November 2018 following reports of a small   number of TB50 and TB55 batteries showing incorrect power levels which led to   the loss of power mid-flight. The firmware update addresses a rare issue   involving the battery state of charge (SOC) calculation algorithm by   incorporating the following conservative measures listed below which serve to   enhance the battery management system and optimize power supply during   flight.

On   19 December 2018, DJI released new firmware updates which serve to address a   small number of reports of Matrice 200 Series drone users experiencing early   Return-to-Home (RTH) or Automatic Landing (AL). These cases were the result   of false alarms triggered by the conservative measures DJI implemented in   November. This new firmware update (v01.02.0301) further improves the   algorithm accuracy of the battery management system to enhance user   experience without compromising flight safety and product reliability which   remain DJI’s top priorities.

For TB55 batteries used with M200 series drones, the   firmware update will impose these new battery safeguards:

Additional   battery heating before take-off (S1)

The   additional heating will prevent batteries from turning off unexpectedly at   low temperatures. The temperature of both batteries must now be 16°C (61°F)   or higher before the aircraft can take off. This is because a battery with   low temperature has a higher internal resistance, which causes lower voltage   than in warmer conditions. A battery with low voltage will provide a lower   level of power to the drone, and hence impose higher risk of a power loss.

Improved   battery percentage and fault detection (S2)

The   battery percentage check before take-off has been improved, and users will be   warned when the battery is faulty or the remaining battery charge suddenly   jumps to a false higher percentage. The voltage of the battery will be used   to verify the SOC value by the further improved DJI algorithm in the new   firmware. This SOC value will be compared to the one calculated by the   battery SOC calculation algorithm to determine if there is a “false high” SOC   reading. If there is a “false high” SOC reading, then the aircraft will not   be able to take off.

Enhanced   Return-to-Home (RTH) or Automatic Landing (S3)

When   the DJI algorithm detects a difference in SOC levels (this calculation runs   within the battery and is therefore not visible to users through the screen)   between the algorithm and the actual level that is too large, RTH   (Return-to-Home) will be activated at a detected battery level of 30% and   Automatic Landing (AL) activated at 10% (based on the DJI algorithm).   Previously observed false alarms, that triggered early RTH or AL in a small   number of cases, have been reduced drastically.

For TB50 batteries used with M200 series drones, the   firmware update will impose this new battery safeguard:

Additional   battery heating before take-off (S1)

The   additional heating will prevent batteries from turning off unexpectedly at   low temperatures. The temperature of both batteries must be 16°C (61°F) or   higher before the aircraft can take off. This is because a battery with low   temperature has a higher internal resistance, which causes lower voltage than   in warmer conditions. A battery with low voltage will provide a lower level   of power to the drone, and hence impose higher risk of a power loss.

Guideline

Latest firmware. While the update   is not mandatory, M200 series drone users are strongly advised to update   their drone and batteries to the latest firmware. We ask that pilots allow   extra time before their next flight to perform this update to minimize   disruption to their operations.

Inconsistent Firmware Notification.   For the time being, pilots who are using drones of both the DJI M200 series   and the DJI Inspire 2 with TB50 batteries may continue to receive an   "inconsistent firmware" notification when using batteries updated   with different firmware versions. This may lock the drone. DJI advises that   pilots use batteries upgraded with the same firmware until a new firmware   update is issued in January.

Battery is taking a longer time to heat up. This   is caused by S1. DJI suggests pilots pre-heat their batteries or keep them at   room temperature (about 16°C/61°F) before flying outdoors to minimize the   risk of flight disruption.  

In the rare case that a pilot experiences early   trigger of RTH or AL:

• When a drone starts Smart RTH, pilots can interrupt        and stop RTH by pressing the “X” on the screen
  • When a drone begins AL, pilots can still steer the        drone using the joystick to help find the safest landing location.        Pushing up the throttle can also slow or counteract the descending        aircraft.

It   is important to note that these responses are not caused by any hardware   fault. In the rare case that early RTH or AL is triggered, it is due to the   risk mitigation strategy programmed into our flight controller.

While   DJI, just like any other manufacturer, can never guarantee absolute safety in   every case, we take safety very seriously and therefore are addressing this   situation with an abundance of caution, while we work on a longer-term   resolution to be released in January.  

As   an added guidance, as with all Lithium batteries, there are several factors   that impact the usability of your TB50 and TB55 batteries, including external   variables such as weather and altitude where your flight takes place, as well   as factors in your control such as storage and handling methods.

Listed   below are some tips DJI has prepared for drone operators – especially those   conducting operations in cold weather environments.

Pre-flight

• Make sure that the batteries are fully charged before        use.
  • Preheat the battery at room temperature so that it        reaches 16°C (61°F) (battery temperature can be monitored in the DJI        Pilot /DJI GO /DJI GO 4 Apps).
  • If the environment is too cold, hover the aircraft        for about 1 minute so the batteries can heat up to around 16°C (61°F).
  • Keep battery packs warm:

Hand warmers.

Warm rice is recommended since it stays warm for long        periods of time and is   reusable: microwave about 5-10lb of        dry rice in a large resealable bag. Heat for 5-   10         minutes or until hot. Then place in a high-quality cooler with the        batteries.

Keep the batteries close to your body to use your        body heat to keep them warm.

Preheat the batteries while travelling so that they        can be used immediately when arriving on site.

During flight

• Remember that flight times will be reduced when        operating in cold environments. Make sure there is sufficient battery        capacity to allow for a Return-to-Home. This also applies to the remote        controller as it could power down during the flight if battery levels        are not monitored.
  • Do not fly any partially discharged packs or packs        that have entered self-discharge mode state.
  • When removing the aircraft from a warm environment to        the cold, please let it acclimatize without batteries for at least 10 –        15 minutes.
  • When moving the RC from warm to cold you could        receive a calibration error. If this happens, please turn off the        aircraft and perform an RC calibration via the RC tab in the app.
  • Make sure to bring dry towels and wipe off any        moisture that might build up during flight or in the field.
  • Please make sure all contacts on cameras and        batteries are dry before installing or putting them in storage.
  • Smart gloves are not a requirement but a        recommendation. Smart gloves allow the use of a smart devices without        the need of removing the glove.

Storage

• Do not store charged packs at temperatures lower than        0°C.
  • Never store batteries outdoors in cold temperatures.        Doing so can seriously damage the packs or shorten their life        dramatically. Batteries should be stored in a temperature between 10 -        45°C (50 - 113°F).
  • Always keep packs between 50 - 65% during storage. If        stored for more than a few months, it is recommended to check these        storage levels regularly. It is recommended that packs in storage be        charged once every 90 days and then return them to a storage percentage        of 50 - 65%.

Please   read our Intelligent Flight Battery Safety   Guidelines for more detailed information to help minimize potential   disruption to your operations.

2018-12-19
Use props
Droning.CG
lvl.3
Flight distance : 41083 ft

Poland

I will ask you directly - is this another prosthesis of the software?
2018-12-19
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
First Officer
Flight distance : 1831050 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Droning.CG Posted at 12-19 12:36
I will ask you directly - is this another prosthesis of the software?

Direct answer (on behalf of Kuele): yes, it is.
2018-12-19
Use props
manjochris
lvl.1
Flight distance : 477713 ft
Greece

hello can somebody  from the Dji  explain  the flight behavior of the M200  regarding this paragraph  of "TB50 & TB55 User Guideline   (Updated – 19 December 2018)"

"Enhanced   Return-to-Home (RTH) or Automatic Landing (S3)

When   the DJI algorithm detects a difference in SOC levels (this calculation runs   within the battery and is therefore not visible to users through the screen)   between the algorithm and the actual level that is too large, RTH   (Return-to-Home) will be activated at a detected battery level of 30% and   Automatic Landing (AL) activated at 10% (based on the DJI algorithm).   Previously observed false alarms, that triggered early RTH or AL in a small   number of cases, have been reduced drastically."

????????
2018-12-21
Use props
kozlio#
lvl.4
Canada

Matthew Dobrski Posted at 12-19 16:03
Direct answer (on behalf of Kuele): yes, it is.

Hahaha direct & short and sweet
2018-12-21
Use props
manjochris
lvl.1
Flight distance : 477713 ft
Greece

hello  again can somebody  from the Dji  explain  the flight behavior of the M200 :

TB50 & TB55 User Guidance  23 NOVEMBER 2018

•        Return-to-Home (RTH) or Automatic Landing (AL) (S3)
When the DJI algorithm detects a difference in SOC levels (this calculation runs within the battery and is therefore not visible to users through the screen) between the algorithm and the actual level that is greater than 5%, RTH (return-to-home) will be activated at a detected battery level of 30% and automatic landing (AL) activated at 10% (based on the DJI algorithm). If the difference is less than 5% then no action will be activated.

Updated – 19 December 2018

Enhanced Return-to-Home (RTH) or Automatic Landing (S3)
When the DJI algorithm detects a difference in SOC levels (this calculation runs within the battery and is therefore not visible to users through the screen) between the algorithm and the actual level that is too large, RTH (Return-to-Home) will be activated at a detected battery level of 30% and Automatic Landing (AL) activated at 10% (based on the DJI algorithm). Previously observed false alarms, that triggered early RTH or AL in a small number of cases, have been reduced drastically.

Matrice 200 series Release Notes 2018-11-16

To minimize the impact  to user experience, it is strongly recommended to fully charge battery and make sure the battery temperature is 20 C or Higher before take off

Make sure that the batteries are fully charged before        use.
Preheat the battery at room temperature so that it        reaches 16°C (61°F) (battery temperature can be monitored in the DJI        Pilot /DJI GO /DJI GO 4 Apps).

2018-12-22
Use props
Robert M Serino
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2324268 ft

United States

This is just a brief note on what seems to be a widely-discussed topic...Flew my M200 yesterday with this latest firmware and current GO4 app using sets of both TB50 and TB 55 batts...Outside temp was 40 degrees Fahrenheit (approx. 4 degrees Celsius) and as pictured elsewhere, flying with X4S, separately attached FLIR Boson with integrated 5.8GHz transmitter, and LED White Lights...At that outside temperature and with both sets of batts, the batts auto-warmed from an indicated 14 degrees to 17 degrees Celsius on the M200 before the GO4 app allowed take-off...At the 40 degrees Fahrenheit outside temperature, the TB55 batts flew the M200 for 25 minutes to my pre-set 30% Low Battery Warning (3.60 Volts), and the TB50 batts flew the M200 for 16 minutes to my pre-set 30% Low Battery Warning (3.60 Volts)...Winds we’re a little high during the flights in that a “High Winds Warning” would periodically appear on the GO4 app...There was no auto-RTH (Return-To-Home) and flight performance was OK all-around.
2018-12-25
Use props
djiuser_hivXYsAdZ5zb
lvl.1

United Kingdom

I have had a severe incident with my 210 today, which l believe to be as a result of this update. Our 210 which has had a few niggles with the T55's and T50's the last few months has normally always completed the job and was working great after the UPDATE last week with the T55's. Today we stopped in Newcastle to do a quick job near the racecourse and used the T50's, went through all our checks and flew up to 300ft for 2 small bits of video, after 4 mins in the air and into the second video capture on the Z30 the 210 took off towards the sea. I fought the fly off for a few minutes but nothing would work, switched to ATTI using the FPV .....no good and then at 3000 ft, starting to lose my VLOS and flight time l pressed RTH and it failed and kept flying. I can tell you that the 210 was over a built up area by this time and l was ...ting a brick. To cut along story short, we used the "Find My Drone" which took us to a housing estate and 3 hrs later with the hekp of some locals on a Community Support group we retrieved our smashed up 210, it had fell out of the sky beside a bus stop and one of the blokes there lifted it to his house. Be aware, we have reported it to DJI and are awaiting a reply..  
2018-12-29
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
First Officer
  • >>>
Canada

djiuser_hivXYsAdZ5zb Posted at 12-29 15:44
I have had a severe incident with my 210 today, which l believe to be as a result of this update. Our 210 which has had a few niggles with the T55's and T50's the last few months has normally always completed the job and was working great after the UPDATE last week with the T55's. Today we stopped in Newcastle to do a quick job near the racecourse and used the T50's, went through all our checks and flew up to 300ft for 2 small bits of video, after 4 mins in the air and into the second video capture on the Z30 the 210 took off towards the sea. I fought the fly off for a few minutes but nothing would work, switched to ATTI using the FPV .....no good and then at 3000 ft, starting to lose my VLOS and flight time l pressed RTH and it failed and kept flying. I can tell you that the 210 was over a built up area by this time and l was ...ting a brick. To cut along story short, we used the "Find My Drone" which took us to a housing estate and 3 hrs later with the hekp of some locals on a Community Support group we retrieved our smashed up 210, it had fell out of the sky beside a bus stop and one of the blokes there lifted it to his house. Be aware, we have reported it to DJI and are awaiting a reply..

Firstly, we're sorry to hear about the accident. Secondly, we need to know what exactly to be aware of. Fly-aways are happen in this business and such behaviour is not uncommon. Perhaps flight log analysis will reveal conclusive details. Please keep us posted.
2018-12-29
Use props
Keule
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3733015 ft
  • >>>
Germany

djiuser_hivXYsAdZ5zb Posted at 12-29 15:44
I have had a severe incident with my 210 today, which l believe to be as a result of this update. Our 210 which has had a few niggles with the T55's and T50's the last few months has normally always completed the job and was working great after the UPDATE last week with the T55's. Today we stopped in Newcastle to do a quick job near the racecourse and used the T50's, went through all our checks and flew up to 300ft for 2 small bits of video, after 4 mins in the air and into the second video capture on the Z30 the 210 took off towards the sea. I fought the fly off for a few minutes but nothing would work, switched to ATTI using the FPV .....no good and then at 3000 ft, starting to lose my VLOS and flight time l pressed RTH and it failed and kept flying. I can tell you that the 210 was over a built up area by this time and l was ...ting a brick. To cut along story short, we used the "Find My Drone" which took us to a housing estate and 3 hrs later with the hekp of some locals on a Community Support group we retrieved our smashed up 210, it had fell out of the sky beside a bus stop and one of the blokes there lifted it to his house. Be aware, we have reported it to DJI and are awaiting a reply..

That sounds not good!
But before any assumptions are being made, a log analysis reveals more insight. (i.e. wind speed to large?)
2018-12-29
Use props
Kensson
lvl.2

United Kingdom

djiuser_hivXYsAdZ5zb Posted at 2018-12-29 15:44

Have you heard anything from DJI yet?
2019-1-4
Use props
Canard
lvl.3

Spain

Hi!

Had some problems too with my 210RTK and this update...

Every time it's flying for more than a minute it starts showing a "Flight Controller Data Error - Hardware malfunction". Then, when landed, the error changes to "Battery signal error". It happens with all the sets of batteries and when returning to the previous firmware this errors stop appearing. The drone still flies, but is uncapable of loading waypoint missions, for example.

This makes me guess it's not a real hardware issue but a firmware issue. Anyone else with this problem?
2019-1-9
Use props
djiuser_60lJYy9sNuEp
lvl.3

Spain

Canard Posted at 1-9 03:21
Hi!

Had some problems too with my 210RTK and this update...

Hi!

Yes, I experienced exactly the same problem. The drone throws the "Flight Controller Data Error" when doing programmed waypoint missions, right before reaching the last waypoint. If you switch to the DJI Go app, it says the error is due to Hardware malfunctioning, but then you land and it changes to some batteries issue. We tried also in different sets of batteries, so it seems not to be a real batteries issue. And in fact, if you turn off the drone and turn it on again, the error disappears until a new mission is about to reach the last waypoint.

We also tried to perform a waypoint mission from the DJI Go app and it couldn't even upload the waypoints to the drone. All problems were solved when downgrading to v01.02.0000, so it looks like a firmware problem... Hope they solve it soon.
2019-1-9
Use props
Artemoha
lvl.2
Flight distance : 328999 ft
Belarus

Hello!
The drone 210 RTK cannot communicate with the RTK ground station on the new firmware. Has anyone already encountered this problem? We have to fly only by GPS.
2019-1-9
Use props
lmcindoe
lvl.2

Australia

djiuser_hivXYsAdZ5zb Posted at 2018-12-29 15:44

Hi,
Were you able to get anything in response from DJI regarding this?

We had a similar accident, although ours happened immediately after take off - the drone took off on its own and crashed into a fence at the start of our 2nd flight for the day.

We sent to DJI and they have provided a repair quote, but have 'declined' to look at our log files to see what happened as it is out of the 12 month warranty. This seems very unusual to me - does it mean they don't care if its older than 12 months? Just wanted to see if you had any different experience.

Luke
2019-1-13
Use props
Artemoha
lvl.2
Belarus

Artemoha Posted at 1-9 22:07
Hello!
The drone 210 RTK cannot communicate with the RTK ground station on the new firmware. Has anyone already encountered this problem? We have to fly only by GPS.

Problem is fixed.
2019-1-16
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
First Officer
  • >>>
Canada

That's great, but how did you solve this problem?
2019-1-18
Use props
Artemoha
lvl.2
Belarus

Matthew Dobrski Posted at 1-18 00:45
That's great, but how did you solve this problem?

Hello! I thought the problem was solved. But it is not. The problem appears and disappears. I can not understand the pattern and the reason. Here is a screenshot.

2019-2-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules