Gimbal on Osmo Pocket does not power down when turned off
7794 17 2018-12-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Ray-CubeAce
Second Officer

United Kingdom

Please check this on your own devices.

When I turn my Osmo Pocket off, after two to three seconds the gimbal twists from vertical away from the parked position. There is an intermittent resistance, like a very light spring pushing it away from the vertical position when turned off. I suspect when it is in its case and in a trouser or shirt pocket, the jogging could activate this and if it is powered, could drain the battery flat beyond a point of being able to recharge it. Especially if it hits the sides of the case, in which circumstance I would think, if the gimble is powered while turned off, would keep pushing against the case to try to gain the off-vertical parked position it has adopted.

This may also account for some of the grinding noises some users have been experiencing and not being able to power their devices. A constant pushing of the gimbal motor against the case could I think cause damage.

If this is normal behaviour then  please let me know. I am running the current firmware update. I have downloaded a video to my dropbox account.
The link is here.  Gimble video
Thank you.

2018-12-19
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Hi Ray-CubeAce, sorry for the late response. I've forwarded this to our engineers for double check and will keep you updated on the latest progress.
2018-12-21
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
Second Officer

United Kingdom

Thank you, Dji Susan.
I'm hoping the result is not noteworthy and of no consequence, but if there is a chance the Pocket does somehow leak power to the gimble when off it could explain some issues others have had with power draining or gimble failure.  I'm hoping it was some coding error in the last firmware update that can be fixed or that the movement and consistent resistance to being put into the vertical rest position can be corrected.
Thank you for forwarding this.
2018-12-21
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Ray-CubeAce Posted at 12-21 12:24
Thank you, Dji Susan.
I'm hoping the result is not noteworthy and of no consequence, but if there is a chance the Pocket does somehow leak power to the gimble when off it could explain some issues others have had with power draining or gimble failure.  I'm hoping it was some coding error in the last firmware update that can be fixed or that the movement and consistent resistance to being put into the vertical rest position can be corrected.

Thanks for getting back to us. As for the power failure, I've reported to our engineers. There might be some delay due to the weekend and we'll keep following up.
2018-12-22
Use props
djiuser_UDKDQ5Xp8Vbz
lvl.2
Flight distance : 292612 ft
Thailand

I have also noticed that my Osmo Pocket does this too. After powering off, the gimbal immediately goes into the perfect storage position, but after a few seconds (like 5 secs) the camera will tilt slightly. Is this normal? If not, how do I fix this? I'm on the current firmware and have done a calibration once before.
15456163631408142355122417645772.jpg
2018-12-23
Use props
djiuser_UDKDQ5Xp8Vbz
lvl.2
Thailand

I have also noticed that my Osmo Pocket does this too. After powering off, the gimbal immediately goes into the perfect storage position, but after a few seconds (like 5 secs) the camera will tilt slightly. Is this normal? If not, how do I fix this? I'm on the current firmware and have done a calibration once before.
2018-12-23
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
Second Officer

United Kingdom

djiuser_UDKDQ5Xp8Vbz Posted at 12-23 17:49

DJI Susan has forwarded my concern to their engineering team. Until I hear back or there is another firmware update that seems to correct this behavior I am not putting my Osmo Pocket in its case, but in the cardboard packaging where the gimbal is able to rest at 90 degrees without any signs of resistance when not in use. People on this forum have complained of gimbal grinding noises, power depletion after storage, and gimbals that won't recalibrate. I won't risk mine until either other users report their Osmo Pockets do the same but using the case has had no ill effect over a period of weeks, or that it is confirmed to have been an issue dealt with via a firmware update. It's early days yet os I'm not expecting an immediate reply from DJI.

That's the problem with being an early adaptor to a new tech I suspect.

From my perspective, the Osmo Pocket is an amazing bit of kit to back up my DSLRs video output.
It can do a lot for what is basically the cost of one medium cost DSLR lens.
I don't understand those who have slammed this product for its performance. I'm not sure what they expected. All I can say is they must have come from using phones rather than trying manhandling large DSLRs which weigh a ton in your hand when either trying to stabilize footage with a glide cam or having to constantly use a tripod to get usable footage. To my mind, the Pocket is unbelievable for what it is and its cost. I expect bugs that have to be ironed out and that until such time as a workable firmware update is available, users should take care of something this new. OK the technology itself is not brand spanking new but the miniaturisation of it is. I will be able to do so much more with this than I could before this purchase. The creative possibilities of its use is mindblowing.
So, it has its limits and problems. So does all my gear costing thousands more than the Osmo Pocket does. Heck, I could get five of these for the cost of one medium range DSLR zoom lens.  
As long as DJI do their best to help those with genuine problems I'm happy. If they replace units that fail because of inadequate instructions or failure to have picked up on them themselves that's not ideal but understandable.
DJI must have shipped thousands of these units and with the advertising they have put out, it's no wonder it's attracted a lot of attention from those who think this is a be-all and end-all of all their problems when it won't be.
It's one tool. To be put alongside the others for when it's needed.
It's no Go-Pro. It's not waterproof or hardy. I wouldn't call it an action camera or a low light performer although it tries hard to do a passable job at those tasks.
It will need a lot of adaptors with it to get the best out of it. External sound recording for one, and a good set of exposure filters for another. Possibly some form of X-axis dampening on top to cope with the 'bounce' you get from normal walking. All that aside, I  still think this is a great little gadget well worth investing in.
2018-12-24
Use props
djiuser_NnXAqM7082Ny
New
United States

I used my Osmo Pocket for 1 day, went to charge it, watched the green light blink while it charged, then there was no light so I assumed it was done. Now it wont even power on. I’ve tried everything and I’m so disappointed in my only Christmas gift that my wife bought me. I see others have the same problem and it sounds like a refund is needed until they learn to perfect this device.
2018-12-25
Use props
KEN5423
lvl.3
United States

djiuser_UDKDQ5Xp8Vbz Posted at 12-23 17:48

This is normal if you move the pocket after you turn it off and it gets into storage position.Remember......it does not lock so any movement it will tilt.Just position back by hand to store in it's case.We are getting to nitpicky here people.
2018-12-25
Use props
djiuser_UDKDQ5Xp8Vbz
lvl.2
Thailand

KEN5423 Posted at 12-25 15:37
This is normal if you move the pocket after you turn it off and it gets into storage position.Remember......it does not lock so any movement it will tilt.Just position back by hand to store in it's case.We are getting to nitpicky here people.
Hmm... no matter what position I hold the Osmo Pocket when I switch it off, after 5 secs, the head will mechanically tilt at an angle - as if it is programmed to do so.  I am just wondering why it does this. Yes, I can physically move the head back inline and there is no resistance and doesn't seem to drain my battery so thats OK! Thanks!
2018-12-25
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
Second Officer

United Kingdom

KEN5423 Posted at 12-25 15:37

I don't think it's normal if there is any resistance after switch-off and it keeps active pressure to keep it in an off-parked position to the extent it would place the gimbal against the case sides in storage. This is what I'm experiencing and it is truly constantly intermittent while the unit is switched off. Apart from that, I'm having very few problems with my unit. No weird gimbal grinding or requests from the unit to reset the gimbal, no jumping video footage or power problems, although a slight amount of focus breathing when the camera is static which I think quite a few autofocus systems do when dealing with wide aperture lenses when focusing on relatively bland areas of contrast.
The mods here say they have up-chained the observation to the development team and until I see a firmware update or some feedback from DJI saying this is normal behaviour I'll personally stay on the side of caution.
2018-12-25
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Ray-CubeAce Posted at 12-21 12:24
Thank you, Dji Susan.

Hi Ray-CubeAce, just got an update from our engineers that this is normal. The gimbal will be totally powered off after 5 seconds when pressed the power button and placed it in the case. For the charging issue, our engineers are collecting the information and checking the exact status. If you encounter similar troubles, feel free to contact us.
2018-12-29
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

djiuser_UDKDQ5Xp8Vbz Posted at 12-25 18:35
Hmm... no matter what position I hold the Osmo Pocket when I switch it off, after 5 secs, the head will mechanically tilt at an angle - as if it is programmed to do so.  I am just wondering why it does this. Yes, I can physically move the head back inline and there is no resistance and doesn't seem to drain my battery so thats OK! Thanks!

Hi there, please kindly refer to 12#, this is normal, no worries.
2018-12-29
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
Second Officer

United Kingdom

DJI Susan Posted at 12-29 04:20
Hi Ray-CubeAce, just got an update from our engineers that this is normal. The gimbal will be totally powered off after 5 seconds when pressed the power button and placed in the case. For the charging issue, our engineers are collecting the information and checking the exact status. If you encounter similar troubles, feel free to contact us.

Thank you for the update DJI Susan. I will now start using My OP's case and let you know if there are any problems arising from storage of the Pocket with that method.
2018-12-29
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Ray-CubeAce Posted at 12-29 06:41
Thank you for the update DJI Susan. I will now start using My OP's case and let you know if there are any problems arising from storage of the Pocket with that method.

Thanks for your understanding. If there is anything else we can help, feel free to contact us.
2018-12-31
Use props
fabiofeyh
lvl.2
Flight distance : 6246378 ft
  • >>>
Brazil

Hi, i have the same problem, we tried all the procedures informed and nothing to solve.

The error message continues and you can not use it.
2019-1-17
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
Second Officer

United Kingdom

fabiofeyh Posted at 1-17 08:41
Hi, i have the same problem, we tried all the procedures informed and nothing to solve.[view_image]

No, actually I didn't have that problem. In fact, apart from that one concern, I haven't had any real problems with the Osmo Pocket at all.
2019-1-17
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

fabiofeyh Posted at 1-17 08:41
Hi, i have the same problem, we tried all the procedures informed and nothing to solve.[view_image]

Hi fabiofeyh, you have our sincere apologies for the unpleasant experience with Osmo Pocket, it is recommended to contact your seller or our support team www.dji.com/support to send in the device for further evaluation, sorry again for the inconvenience caused.
2019-1-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules