A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 14044577 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Aardvark Posted at 12-20 05:42
"side note, none of the sightings confirmed it as drones..."

It would seem otherwise, given one quote:-

Another sighting this afternoon and the planes remain grounded - it's still the main story on the BBC international news - I can see at least a temporary ban being imposed here soon... This is the biggest detriment to the hobby that I have seen to date. The police are asking for witnesses to step forward and those who know the drone pilots to grass them up - just goes to show they do not have the tech to bring down the drones and remotely identify the pilots. This is very serious for anyone who owns a drone.  
2018-12-20
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

HereForTheBeer Posted at 12-20 05:46
invalid figure with huge extensions of error to use NFZ/flight restrictions on DJI...  DJi and airmaps both are privatized companies enforcing what isn't really required...  DJi locked down the drones, and not one asked them to here in the US...and airmaps works with some of the automated authorization for this stuff on DJI (at-least in the US)...  not required and reason for highest number of complains is probably down that that alone... put a limit where may not be needed..

This has been 100% confirmed , and is now probably the worst incident ever since consumer drones came on the market, by a long way.

It’s people like you with the attitude that nothing bad will ever happen, that will almost certainly cause more than a bit of trouble for the rest of us trying to fly drones.
And regarding parks, anyone wanting to fly drones can do so with the same permission as dirt bikes need.
2018-12-20
Use props
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

A CW Posted at 12-20 05:36
No, I never twisted anything. You stated a list of rules in the US and claim that they have no legal substance and therefore played on words yourself to imply that there are no laws governing the use of drones in US airspace to support your argument that the UK have strict drone laws by comparison. I used the basic example of flying a drone near the Whitehouse to support the notion that what you stated is in fact incorrect and that the US has as much regulation and restrictions as the UK, if not even more i.e. the mandatory requirement to register a drone.
BTW - you CAN fly over people in the UK and you can have regulations waived with permission from the CAA which is how TV productions are made. Not quite sure where you are getting your information from but it is clearly inaccurate and rather ill informed.

your scale and comprehension is way off... and makes no sense.  like comparing a bullet to a nuke being dropped..

i never suggest that because not illegal to fly  drone into an airport or over 400 feet our out of line of sight or giving a crowd a buzz cut is technical legal in the US without asking or requesting anyone of anything.... that somehow it must mean that it is also okay to fly it into a military zone or the white house...?  where was this connection made that i even implied such?

it is far more strict in the UK than it is in the US, i mentioned its strictest sure maybe im wrong, canada is worse even though canadians too friendly to do anything if they caught you...period.  
2018-12-20
Use props
Lamplighter55
Second Officer
Flight distance : 538596 ft
United Kingdom

So far on the event - nothing confirmed by factual evidence only UNCONFIRMED 'sightings' by persons unknown to the general public. So there's more to this story that the 'authorities' are able to say publicly at this time. I question 'sightings' when they are at 3am at night in darkest winter. Evidently whoever launched these drones (2 as claimed again by sources unknown), knew exactly what they were and are doing. The profile of the claims so far indicate one of two things - either there is physical proof of these fly overs or there's a pile of speculation stacked on speculation from the original 'sighting' - and these secondary incursions could be 'copy cat' individuals who think they can get away with it. One thing this incident does throw up is the woeful lack of preparedness by airlines and ground control the manage flight traffic in this situation - having people stuck on a grounded and parked plane at a functioning airport for over 6 hours is incompetent and criminal in it's own way - and which can't just be blamed on the as yet unidentified drone operators.
2018-12-20
Use props
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 12-20 05:58
This has been 100% confirmed , and is now probably the worst incident ever since consumer drones came on the market, by a long way.

It’s people like you with the attitude that nothing bad will ever happen, that will almost certainly cause more than a bit of trouble for the rest of us trying to fly drones.

why are there multiple conflicting reports with confirmation? i seen individual size, consumer drone and industrial....as well as ones cant buy off the shelf..which literally means nothing to me... because thats a sh*t discription.     which is it now?
2018-12-20
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 14044577 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

HereForTheBeer Posted at 12-20 06:00
your scale and comprehension is way off... and makes no sense.  like comparing a bullet to a nuke being dropped..

i never suggest that because not illegal to fly  drone into an airport or over 400 feet our out of line of sight or giving a crowd a buzz cut is technical legal in the US without asking or requesting anyone of anything.... that somehow it must mean that it is also okay to fly it into a military zone or the white house...?  where was this connection made that i even implied such?

No, it is not. And considering you stated that I can not even fly my drone over a person in my country proves your limited knowledge of the legalities of drone use in UK airspace. Perhaps you will be better off sticking with trying to comprehend the laws in your own country rather passing comments on UK regulations that you clearly know nothing about.
2018-12-20
Use props
Lamplighter55
Second Officer
United Kingdom

This is the problem with this type of 'incident' it just gives more air space to this https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-england-sussex-46564814?
2018-12-20
Use props
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

A CW Posted at 12-20 06:08
No, it is not. And considering you stated that I can not even fly my drone over a person in my country proves your limited knowledge of the legalities of drone use in UK airspace. Perhaps you will be better off sticking with trying to comprehend the laws in your own country rather passing comments on UK regulations that you clearly know nothing about.

what the actual f#ck?
2018-12-20
Use props
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

A CW Posted at 12-20 06:08
No, it is not. And considering you stated that I can not even fly my drone over a person in my country proves your limited knowledge of the legalities of drone use in UK airspace. Perhaps you will be better off sticking with trying to comprehend the laws in your own country rather passing comments on UK regulations that you clearly know nothing about.
CAA rules just for 1 specific section... flying around near or over people.. vs litterally entire FAA rules for recreational flying   HAHAHA
FAA rules.png
2018-12-20
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Can you keep my thread clean please, take it to PM if you disagree strongly with others :-)
2018-12-20
Use props
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Aardvark Posted at 12-20 06:18
Can you keep my thread clean please, take it to PM if you disagree strongly with others :-)

sorry bud, just shockingly confused
2018-12-20
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Lamplighter55 Posted at 12-20 06:09
This is the problem with this type of 'incident' it just gives more air space to this https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-england-sussex-46564814?

Yes, it might snowball out of all proportion. But hopefully not as the current rules and regulation along with changes over the next year should be sufficient. The technology to cause disruption is there, and has been for a long time, an RC aeroplane or helicopter would have the same affect.
2018-12-20
Use props
Lamplighter55
Second Officer
United Kingdom

... it might all turn out to just be  ...
2018-12-20
Use props
Lamplighter55
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Getting ridiculous  - []pic.twitter.com/NQExrVR7yt
2018-12-20
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

HereForTheBeer Posted at 12-20 06:04
why are there multiple conflicting reports with confirmation? i seen individual size, consumer drone and industrial....as well as ones cant buy off the shelf..which literally means nothing to me... because thats a sh*t discription.     which is it now?

Your starting to sound ridiculous now, this happened and it happened again this morning, there is nothing conflicting about this, this airport is closed and hundreads of thousands of passengers stranded, it might be time now for you to show a bit of Savvy.
2018-12-20
Use props
Lamplighter55
Second Officer
United Kingdom

hallmark007 Posted at 12-20 06:37
Your starting to sound ridiculous now, this happened and it happened again this morning, there is nothing conflicting about this, this airport is closed and hundreads of thousands of passengers stranded, it might be time now for you to show a bit of Savvy.

The trouble is - regardless of the severity of this particular 'incident' - (which so far, are a couple of uncorroborated 'sightings' ) is the amount of hysterical and sensational reporting and commenting going on. Now some fool reporter has called it a 'Drone Attack'. The general public are going to be so anti drones - and it definitely plays 100% into the hands of the detractors like BALPA who really want exclusivity of air space.
2018-12-20
Use props
BumblerBee
Second Officer
Flight distance : 639764 ft
Norway

That looks to be premeditated and not just some stupid activity. There was talk of multiple drones, and over a longer period of time.
As such, that is a criminal act and not just some fool or idiot.

2018-12-20
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Lamplighter55 Posted at 12-20 06:51
The trouble is - regardless of the severity of this particular 'incident' - (which so far, are a couple of uncorroborated 'sightings' ) is the amount of hysterical and sensational reporting and commenting going on. Now some fool reporter has called it a 'Drone Attack'. The general public are going to be so anti drones - and it definitely plays 100% into the hands of the detractors like BALPA who really want exclusivity of air space.

That’s exactly the point, it serves no good for anyone flying a drone, could you imagine the thousands of people at Gatwick Airport stranded for 20 hours, what must they think of people who fly drones.

This takes a day to happen but months years to get over, I don’t think changing rules for those who fly drones will change much, but the public backlash hate and suspicion around the flying of drones will only serve to hate drones and drone users  that much more.

2018-12-20
Use props
BumblerBee
Second Officer
Norway

HereForTheBeer Posted at 12-20 02:36
forcing bans and ID beacons and all that but wont stop people form building their own racer quads without all that extra stuff....

i personally am starting to wonder if this is an inside job being done to kill off drones as a hobby and force everything through commercial licensing program...   

Interestingly, the thought of a three-letter-agency pulling it off to compromise drones crossed my mind too. Occam's razor, however, dictates that this is more likely to be a "regular" crimianal act.
2018-12-20
Use props
dbparti024
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3343 ft

United States

hallmark007 Posted at 12-19 16:10
I suppose we as drone pilots know that this will always be end result of trying to fly around or close to airports.
Your post says fool but the report seems to be about Fools, more than one.

The NFZ GEO is a great tool, but I have seen people on this very forum complain about having to put up with them.  DJI does a good job with notifications and controls.  But many of the drone manufactures let you fly anywhere as high as the drone will go.  Hubsan, and Yancee are just two example.  We all have to be responsible. You Tube have several examples of very bad and illegal drone behavior that should be prosecuted. Visual line of site does not mean you can fly miles away.
2018-12-20
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

HereForTheBeer Posted at 12-20 06:18
CAA rules just for 1 specific section... flying around near or over people.. vs litterally entire FAA rules for recreational flying   HAHAHA
[view_image]

This set of what is clearly defined as rules, comes directly from the FAA website, it’s clearly headed as rules and bares no resemblance to what you have posted.
While I’m only seeing this on the FAA website and don’t fly in the US it looks pretty close but a bit more imposing on US drone flyers.And there’s a whole lot more of local restrictions also to take into account.

2018-12-20
Use props
BumblerBee
Second Officer
Norway

Lamplighter55 Posted at 12-20 06:23
... it might all turn out to just be  ...[view_image]

Or it may have been Death Eaters on broomsticks, harassing us Muggles.
2018-12-20
Use props
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 12-20 06:37

how's it ridiculous sounding?    lets pretend its the "industrial drone"   ya know sounds ridiculous... spending 5 grand a pop for Matrice and then then doing this....

2018-12-20
Use props
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

BumblerBee Posted at 12-20 07:06
Interestingly, the thought of a three-letter-agency pulling it off to compromise drones crossed my mind too. Occam's razor, however, dictates that this is more likely to be a "regular" crimianal act.

mostly a joke given the ridiculous circumstances.....but not beyond realm of possibilities either.     crazier sh*t has happened and sponsored by government before hell the UK has an island littered with anthrax and is still offlimits to this day...and plumb island here in the US as well has same/similar experiments
2018-12-20
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

HereForTheBeer Posted at 12-20 07:16
how's it ridiculous sounding?    lets pretend its the "industrial drone"   ya know sounds ridiculous... spending 5 grand a pop for Matrice and then then doing this....

Keep digging.
2018-12-20
Use props
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 12-20 07:13
This set of what is clearly defined as rules, comes directly from the FAA website, it’s clearly headed as rules and bares no resemblance to what you have posted.
While I’m only seeing this on the FAA website and don’t fly in the US it looks pretty close but a bit more imposing on US drone flyers.And there’s a whole lot more of local restrictions also to take into account.
[view_image]

thats how its written is as "imposing"  welcome to the US way of things..     however if ignore the tone and realize not really demanding much of you, everything just a suggestion, some stronger than others...     as for local limitations ...i mean not really.    example of local would be if theme park says no drones.. cant take off from within the theme park but, step outside their property line and into public land, nothing they can do (legally) about you flying around there..

2018-12-20
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Dirty Bird Posted at 12-20 07:28
It seems to be most of these alleged & unsubstantiated drone "sightings" occur in the UK.  To my knowledge there is no confirmation or proof provided for this latest mystery sighting.  It is often impossible to prove a negative, hence the reason the burden of proof is on the party alleging something took place.

Drones vs. dirt bikes in National parks is a poor analogy.  It's like comparing someone physically touching you to someone merely looking at you.  Dirt bikes are in direct contact with the ground & clearly have a more significant impact on the park.  Drones simply fly over the park.  Drones do not tear up the land or cause erosion.  Nonetheless, with million of acres designated as National park land, I'm sure they could find some space to accommodate dirt bikers.

Drones cause noise pollution, and a flyaway drone malfunction drone has the potential to cause harm to people or damage to property, we always look at this in terms of one drone flying in an area, but if you open up the gates how many drones would you allow at one time. 1,100, 1000, so potential for damage will increase tenfold.

In 1940 a London borough Council predicted that by 1970 the streets of London would be covered in horsesh#t , they never accounted for the automobile.
2018-12-20
Use props
Roger Shenton
lvl.1

United Kingdom

They are still at it Aardy, aircraft are still being diverted all over the place, there was talk of a marksman shooting it down but discounted later as being too risky.  It may well be the case that for the minute no obvious action is taking place but who knows what the authorities are actually doing covertly
2018-12-20
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

HereForTheBeer Posted at 12-20 07:30
thats how its written is as "imposing"  welcome to the US way of things..     however if ignore the tone and realize not really demanding much of you, everything just a suggestion, some stronger than others...     as for local limitations ...i mean not really.    example of local would be if theme park says no drones.. cant take off from within the theme park but, step outside their property line and into public land, nothing they can do (legally) about you flying around there..

Yes you can do as you feel,

“Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity “
2018-12-20
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Dirty Bird Posted at 12-20 07:36
How does Dr. McKenna's statement conform it is an actual drone?  Was the drone located & retrieved?  Has the pilot been taken into custody?  Are they photographs?  Or is Dr. McKenna simply repeating the same unsubstantiated claims being reported in the press?

Most professional people would judge and comment only upon evidence they had seen themselves, that is why I would take that to be meaningful, otherwise why would he suggest they were commercial drones.
Unfortunately none of us have all the facts to hand, but the authorities are sufficiently satisfied to shut down a major international airport for a prolonged period of time. The government have produced various statements.
Dr McKenna and those with a direct involvement are likely to have much more meaningful information than us mere mortals. I hardly think there would be such drastic action taken were they unsubstantiated claims.
2018-12-20
Use props
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 12-20 07:37
Drones cause noise pollution, and a flyaway drone malfunction drone has the potential to cause harm to people or damage to property, we always look at this in terms of one drone flying in an area, but if you open up the gates how many drones would you allow at one time. 1,100, 1000, so potential for damage will increase tenfold.

In 1940 a London borough Council predicted that by 1970 the streets of London would be covered in horsesh#t , they never accounted for the automobile.

noise pollution is extremely temporary only lasts and long as the drone is airborne. which as probably at most going to bother some birds and startle some deer.     

where as me chewing up trails with a dirt bike or a ATV lasts long terms and can result in landslides, flooding, and draining areas chewing up waterways may not be obvious while riding because maybe dry or just muddy soil.    i have trails on my farm we regularly ride and share with neighbors, and requires maintenance fairly regularly....   which if you are wondering what it takes.. well 1 example is i had to divert 2 natural springs on my properly, as well as build a few bridges because i learned the hard way that over time the water will chew up the trails as it follows path of least resistance.. and and it floods areas and nearly destroyed a pond.  that's just 1 example.. 1 more example was this last summer early fall i dumped over 20 tons of gravel/peddle and moving the trail and cutting another one out to let nature reclaim the old trail because its eroding too fast..   
2018-12-20
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Dirty Bird Posted at 12-20 07:56
Indeed, it is "100% true" that mass hysteria & pandemonium has broken out based on UNSUBSTANTIATED & UNPROVEN CLAIMS of rogue drones in the skies.  

No drones, no drone operators, no videos, not even photos.

That’s a really poor analogy particularly where people’s safety is the prime objective.

You see a drone flying across you land with your own two eyes , but because you don’t have a camera to take a photo it didn’t happen.
I seen a burglar breaking into a house, I didn’t have a camera so it didn’t happen, I think someday these might just be somebody’s last words.
I’m amazed that someone who wants to be as free as a bird would place such stringent rules on others before accepting their word.
2018-12-20
Use props
MagicRide
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6766027 ft
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 12-20 05:38
Maybe your not getting the information there, but there have been many confirmations that it is a drone, Gatwick Airport a major Airport has been closed since 9pm yesterday, now hundreads of thousands of passengers being affected, knock on effects to many other airports with-further delays for thousands of passengers , at a time when many are trying to get home to their families for Christmas ,it is the main story on all news broadcasts, if you think this will not affect both professional and hobbyists who are flying drones for a living and as a hobby your are very removed from any reality.

When I read this today I was very angry as to how irresponsible people can be. Why would anyone need to fly their drone near or close to an airport or anywhere where people's life could be endangered? This will definitely affect everyone from hobbyst's  to commercial flyers. At this point I'm actually thinking about selling my drones and remove myself from the hobby altogether. Even though I always fly in areas that are safe and unpopulated, I'm always in a constant state of paranoia because I may have to justify my actions to any passer by. They look at us at idiots trying to pry into other's privacy with some little toy.
2018-12-20
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

HereForTheBeer Posted at 12-20 07:56
noise pollution is extremely temporary only lasts and long as the drone is airborne. which as probably at most going to bother some birds and startle some deer.     

where as me chewing up trails with a dirt bike or a ATV lasts long terms and can result in landslides, flooding, and draining areas chewing up waterways may not be obvious while riding because maybe dry or just muddy soil.    i have trails on my farm we regularly ride and share with neighbors, and requires maintenance fairly regularly....   which if you are wondering what it takes.. well 1 example is i had to divert 2 natural springs on my properly, as well as build a few bridges because i learned the hard way that over time the water will chew up the trails as it follows path of least resistance.. and and it floods areas and nearly destroyed a pond.  that's just 1 example.. 1 more example was this last summer early fall i dumped over 20 tons of gravel/peddle and moving the trail and cutting another one out to let nature reclaim the old trail because its eroding too fast..

It’s extremely difficult to debate anything with you, simply because your so far off the mark, try keeping it real.
2018-12-20
Use props
Homeyjay
lvl.3
Flight distance : 33606 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I’ve seen the video on twitter and honestly, I just don’t think it’s a drone.
The light halo diameter looks the same as the other lighting in the video and it looks far too big and bright to be any DJI drone that I’ve seen.
I just think it’s irresponsible of the media to accuse drone users when no proof whatsoever has been provided other than “I think it maybe one or two or three drones, possibly but it was dark anyway etc”

Drone manufacturers ought to try and combat this type of sensationalist and unproven headline because, ultimately, it’s their sales figures that will plummet.

Someone just said that the BBC website ran with “Drone attack on Gatwick” as a headline and eventually changed it to something else.
We are now living in an age where proof is not necessary to convicted by public opinion so we MUST insist on proof in all cases. Too many people (even in these forums) accept that it was a drone (or drones) when no such proof has been provided.

If it turns out to be some moron with a drone, I’ll be there with a pitchfork along with the rest of us!
2018-12-20
Use props
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Aardvark Posted at 12-20 07:54
Most professional people would judge and comment only upon evidence they had seen themselves, that is why I would take that to be meaningful, otherwise why would he suggest they were commercial drones.
Unfortunately none of us have all the facts to hand, but the authorities are sufficiently satisfied to shut down a major international airport for a prolonged period of time. The government have produced various statements.
Dr McKenna and those with a direct involvement are likely to have much more meaningful information than us mere mortals. I hardly think there would be such drastic action taken were they unsubstantiated claims.

never really stopped people from lying or extending the truth.   if im honest, it doesn't sound like she has any proof or saw it herself..  it sounds like something she was told..   the fact she also said "something you can't buy off the shelf in the store"  (paraphrased) is WTF at best..         

the physical description "industrial"    ..step2.. WTF is "industrial" look like exactly..?     "something cant buy off the shelf in the store"   ...WTF...   

its like asking someone how has no idea of what they are dealing with and never seen a real drone, to describe a drone
2018-12-20
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Dirty Bird Posted at 12-20 07:48
I see lots of drone claims but no actual drones.  No drones have been collected, no pilots are in custody, not even photos of the rascally flying vermin. It's almost like UFO sightings.  Maybe aliens are operating the drones just to mess with you?   Or it could be those pesky Russians?  Those Russians are always up to something!

Maybe your right, Russians aren’t they responsible for the now sitting president of the USA .
2018-12-20
Use props
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Homeyjay Posted at 12-20 08:06
I’ve seen the video on twitter and honestly, I just don’t think it’s a drone.
The light halo diameter looks the same as the other lighting in the video and it looks far too big and bright to be any DJI drone that I’ve seen.
I just think it’s irresponsible of the media to accuse drone users when no proof whatsoever has been provided other than “I think it maybe one or two or three drones, possibly but it was dark anyway etc”

share the link ?
2018-12-20
Use props
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 12-20 08:08
Maybe your right, Russians aren’t they responsible for the now sitting president of the USA .

and you called me off the mark....
2018-12-20
Use props
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Dirty Bird Posted at 12-20 08:09
So one can make hysterical & unsubstantiated claims so long as they do so under the guise of "safety"?

"It's for the children!"

this is exactly what i hate...  UPVOTED
2018-12-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules