Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

djiuser_jBXOnzT6p8Z1 Posted at 12-20 08:58
Not sure if that will be enough here in the UK.

Are DJI communicating with UK gouvernment or Authorities either for a tracking solution or just to rule out one of their products?

yes, and here is a quick snippet of info:

"While DJI has no independent confirmation of what has occurred or what type of drone may be involved, the company is prepared to offer technical assistance and comply with appropriate requests from law enforcement and aviation regulation officials."
2018-12-20
Use props
djiuser_jBXOnzT6p8Z1
Second Officer
Flight distance : 507087 ft
United Kingdom

HereForTheBeer Posted at 12-20 08:59
yes, and here is a quick snippet of info:

"While DJI has no independent confirmation of what has occurred or what type of drone may be involved, the company is prepared to offer technical assistance and comply with appropriate requests from law enforcement and aviation regulation officials."

Thank you and imho the correct resonse from DJI.
2018-12-20
Use props
djiuser_jBXOnzT6p8Z1
Second Officer
United Kingdom

I do think DJI should contact SKY or the BBC News to that effect.
2018-12-20
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Wellsi Posted at 12-20 01:16
Yep... this will be the wake up call that makes them realise how powerless the security services are against drones.....  Watch out for massive geo-fencing, registration and restrictions coming soon.... and endless arguments with members of the public challenging legitimate drone users when flying....

That is the nub of it, it’s the reflection on drone users everywhere , this is without doubt the worst incident I have seen regarding drone incident and it won’t be without repercussions.
2018-12-20
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Harbourside Posted at 12-20 04:35
DJI as the market leader had been very pro active in drone safety, with every drone since the last of the Phantom 2's having some form of geofencing built into the software.
The best we can hope for is for all other manufactures to be forced into implementing it.
Although those that want to hack the system will always find a way.

It probably now doesn’t need proof, the proof we now have is the sheer potential to cause havoc at a very high level a drone has. If you want a hack for your drone to allow it to eliminate NFZ look no further than this forum, but don’t say the F word or you will be banned.
2018-12-20
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

"Police said the “devices used are of an industrial specification,” an indication that the drones weren’t small, inexpensive machines. "

Think terrorists.  Doesn't always need to be bombs to inflict terror, panic, or be extreme annoyances.

2018-12-20
Use props
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 12-20 09:08
That is the nub of it, it’s the reflection on drone users everywhere , this is without doubt the worst incident I have seen regarding drone incident and it won’t be without repercussions.

i'd call it worst overreaction*    grounding flights indefinitely, and sending out every possible unit...so far after the fact that what are the odds that even realistically find and capture someone at this stage?  

i think smarter if they just quietly had some teams staged up, get these people flights rolling out, compensated for and whatever else needs to get done for them.. and moment another drone sighting decide if should shoot it down to keep things rolling or eliminate risk if getting too close or halt flights, and quietly track it it down and shut down whoever is doing it...
2018-12-20
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

HereForTheBeer Posted at 12-20 09:18
i'd call it worst overreaction*    grounding flights indefinitely, and sending out every possible unit...so far after the fact that what are the odds that even realistically find and capture someone at this stage?  

i think smarter if they just quietly had some teams staged up, get these people flights rolling out, compensated for and whatever else needs to get done for them.. and moment another drone sighting decide if should shoot it down to keep things rolling or eliminate risk if getting too close or halt flights, and quietly track it it down and shut down whoever is doing it...

Stated reason for not shooting down the drones is they are worried about where the bullets would come down at.
2018-12-20
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 12-20 09:16
"Police said the “devices used are of an industrial specification,” an indication that the drones weren’t small, inexpensive machines. "

Think terrorists.  Doesn't always need to be bombs to inflict terror, panic, or be extreme annoyances.

"Police said the drone flights were a “deliberate act to disrupt the airport,” but that there were “absolutely no indications to suggest this is terror-related.”"

No indications?  As in Terrorists / Group / Individual has stepped forward to claim credit...
2018-12-20
Use props
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 12-20 09:23
Stated reason for not shooting down the drones is they are worried about where the bullets would come down at.

but shotguns...i imagine a shotgun with a beanbag or a rubber impact round would knock the drone down and be very limited risk..   assuming i can get close enough, if not, and got empty runway as backdrop they could use buckshot, or hell a slug, even if they miss, not going to go huge distance or be lethal that far away.. not like a normal bullet..
2018-12-20
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

HereForTheBeer Posted at 12-20 09:18

Any idiot that puts one human life at risk is just that. How unfortunate for the brits that you are not heading up the investigation here.
Would not an overaction be when your president arrives in a town or city for the opening of a box of chocolates to stop drones from flying for 3 days, now that’s what can be called overkill.
2018-12-20
Use props
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 12-20 09:28
Any idiot that puts one human life at risk is just that. How unfortunate for the brits that you are not heading up the investigation here.
Would not an overaction be when your president arrives in a town or city for the opening of a box of chocolates to stop drones from flying for 3 days, now that’s what can be called overkill.

all im saying is, their reaction it actually seems counter productive at this point...  very ineffective use of various agencies
2018-12-20
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

Great news folks, being how well the existing Drone Laws with possibility of up to 5-years imprisonment have (not) worked, there are calls for more...

A Labour MP has called on the government to make an urgent statement in parliament on the disruption at Gatwick.
Ian Murray said many of his Edinburgh South constituents ...

In response, Andrea Leadsom, the leader of the Commons, said it was  “awful for passengers”, and highlighted legislation the government  passed to deal with “those who seek to interfere with a plane with a  drone”.
Leadsom said offenders face up to five years in prison and unlimited  fines, but added that after the current incident “we have to do more”.

2018-12-20
Use props
djiuser_jBXOnzT6p8Z1
Second Officer
United Kingdom

HereForTheBeer Posted at 12-20 09:38
all im saying is, their reaction it actually seems counter productive at this point...  very ineffective use of various agencies

Once flights are grounded it will be on social media immediately. After that Authorities need to be seen to do everything within their capabilities to solve the issue.

They didnt have much choice.
2018-12-20
Use props
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

djiuser_jBXOnzT6p8Z1 Posted at 12-20 09:42
Once flights are grounded it will be on social media immediately. After that Authorities need to be seen to do everything within their capabilities to solve the issue.

They didnt have much choice.

already a sh*t storm.. but not much they can do right now, unless that person exposed him/herself or themselves..  just twiddle their thumbs and pretend their busy really..
2018-12-20
Use props
djiuser_jBXOnzT6p8Z1
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Update  

SKY News

A drone operator and Drone FLYBY Representative condemning the irresponsible action by the individual/s responsible.

Good to see ... finally.
2018-12-20
Use props
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 12-20 09:40
Great news folks, being how well the existing Drone Laws with possibility of up to 5-years imprisonment have (not) worked, there are calls for more...

A Labour MP has called on the government to make an urgent statement in parliament on the disruption at Gatwick.

the media circling jerking this is going to grow old fast
2018-12-20
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

HereForTheBeer Posted at 12-20 09:27
but shotguns...i imagine a shotgun with a beanbag or a rubber impact round would knock the drone down and be very limited risk..   assuming i can get close enough, if not, and got empty runway as backdrop they could use buckshot, or hell a slug, even if they miss, not going to go huge distance or be lethal that far away.. not like a normal bullet..

Be better off trying to use a High velocity Shot shell load.  Slug would be nearly as dangerous as regular bullet.  
2018-12-20
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 12-20 09:16

“The reports suggest there are multiple drones, sighted at different times. They’re not necessarily in the air for extended periods of time.”
2018-12-20
Use props
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 12-20 09:48
Be better off trying to use a High velocity Shot shell load.  Slug would be nearly as dangerous as regular bullet.

you want a slow but heavy load,like a slug of some kind for least risk because wont go as far if you miss, but if it hits within effective range it is devastating..  or a a shot that breaks up faster and reduces its energy density more rapidly while at the same time giving you a wider point to hit.. like bird or buckshot
2018-12-20
Use props
Gimpy
lvl.4
United States

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 12-20 09:50
“The reports suggest there are multiple drones, sighted at different times. They’re not necessarily in the air for extended periods of time.”

The closest thing I saw to actual evidence was a passenger on one of the planes (on the ground) who spotted a light in the air after the inital report(s), declared it "a drone", and took video of it using his mobile device. Seems like maybe there was an initial sighting that may or may not have been an actual drone and that things just snowballed from there, just as used to happen with UFOs. Only time will tell, and everything in the meantime is just speculation.
2018-12-20
Use props
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Gimpy Posted at 12-20 10:10
The closest thing I saw to actual evidence was a passenger on one of the planes (on the ground) who spotted a light after the inital report(s), declared it "a drone", and took video using his mobile device (phone?). Seems like maybe there was an initial sighting that may or may not have been an actual drone and that things just snowballed from there, just as used to happen with UFOs.

you got the video link for us rto pull apart?
2018-12-20
Use props
Gimpy
lvl.4
United States

HereForTheBeer Posted at 12-20 10:11
you got the video link for us rto pull apart?

Expand the latest thread of this guy's Twitter feed to see what I was referring to:

https://twitter.com/edwilde/status/1075556804954939392
2018-12-20
Use props
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Gimpy Posted at 12-20 10:15
Expand the latest thread of this guy's Twitter feed to see what I was referring to:

https://twitter.com/edwilde/status/1075556804954939392

that's it?    the hell?  hell to me that looks like a distant helicopter in a search pattern for most of the video!
2018-12-20
Use props
Gimpy
lvl.4
United States

HereForTheBeer Posted at 12-20 10:19
that's it?    the hell?  hell to me that looks like a distant helicopter in a search pattern for most of the video!

I agree. Once the initial report went out that a "drone" had been spotted, everything that COULD be one in someone's mind becomes a "drone". Same thing happened decades ago with UFOs; for a while they were "everywhere".
2018-12-20
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

I sure hope they tell us what they find behind the controller....
2018-12-20
Use props
Mitch Bains
New

United Kingdom

Someone please explain why they cant just follow the dron with another drone. The longest a drone can stay in the air is 30mins at best. So just follow one of them and find out who and where the batteries are being swapped. It simple
2018-12-20
Use props
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Mitch Bains Posted at 12-20 13:13
Someone please explain why they cant just follow the dron with another drone. The longest a drone can stay in the air is 30mins at best. So just follow one of them and find out who and where the batteries are being swapped. It simple

because that would work.....  obviously they dont want to use efficient solutions.
2018-12-20
Use props
Oracle Miata
First Officer
Flight distance : 3759829 ft
  • >>>
United States

HereForTheBeer Posted at 12-20 10:19

Yep, I agree.  That really doesn’t look like a drone to me.  Could be anything.  
2018-12-20
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Oracle Miata Posted at 12-20 13:40
Yep, I agree.  That really doesn’t look like a drone to me.  Could be anything.

There have been 50 sightings of the drone, last sighting 40 minutes ago, I think it’s safe to say it’s a drone or more than one drone.
2018-12-20
Use props
MagicRide
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6766027 ft
United States

Mullheliflier Posted at 12-20 00:54
It is a shame that yet again the idiots spoil it for the majority who behave responsibly. I hope those that were doing this are traced and dealt with appropriately.

Unfortunately one idiot creates a witch hunt mentality in an already sensitive hobby where most are uneducated. Whether you think it's overreacting or not it's the reality, and if it keeps happening the only place we will be able to fly our drones is in our closets.

2018-12-20
Use props
djiuser_jBXOnzT6p8Z1
Second Officer
United Kingdom

I am astonished they could not confiscate/bring down that device. - Technically, Police, Gouvernment and Army must have been asleep the last few years.

Basically, DJI have put more advanced technology in to our hands than any of the above have to counter act misuse. (The incident has likely nothing to do with DJI, jst an example)

Amazing.

I hope this is unique to the UK in order to spare other countries the embarrassment.

Mind, Britain with all the Brexit debacle is already the laughing stock of the world. This hardly adds to it ... .
2018-12-20
Use props
Steeevo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 264882 ft
United Kingdom

I will get my mavic and follow it and tell the police where the operator is.
The airport has been closed for 24 hours!!!!!!!!!!
This is unbelievable, Come on now it cant be that hard
2018-12-20
Use props
EdisonW1979
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1535679 ft
Canada

This is definitely looking more and more like a deliberate illegal flight... That video posted to Twitter could be a drone; I know some here are saying it could be a helicopter, but it's tough to say one way or another.

I foresee bad times for drone operators in 2019 following this stunt
2018-12-20
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

MagicRide Posted at 12-20 14:08
Unfortunately one idiot creates a witch hunt mentality in an already sensitive hobby where most are uneducated. Whether you think it's overreacting or not it's the reality, and if it keeps happening the only place we will be able to fly our drones is in our closets.

https://youtu.be/hDcGjQn_CAE

Rules only work for those who obey , we don’t need anymore of them , but I think main damage that will be done is public perception about drones and the backlash for hobbyists and those who operate within the rules.
Having listened to the media for most of the day, they are not demanding more rules, they are looking for airports to be more secure against these attacks, and I think this will be a wake up call to all international airports that they need to get their ass in gear to prevent this happening to them.
2018-12-20
Use props
EdisonW1979
Second Officer
Canada

Listening to Gatwick Airport's COO Chris Woodroffe avoid answering even the most basic questions from the SKY news reporter about whether Gatwick had any plans in place for dealing with this situation, or what they intend on doing in terms of monetary compensation to passengers who've had their flights cancelled, is maddening to say the least, and obviously the reporter is getting annoyed (by the tone of his voice) that he can't get straight answers out of this talking head...
2018-12-20
Use props
EdisonW1979
Second Officer
Canada

Steeevo Posted at 12-20 14:33
I will get my mavic and follow it and tell the police where the operator is.
The airport has been closed for 24 hours!!!!!!!!!!
This is unbelievable, Come on now it cant be that hard

If this is a "commercial" drone, likely with enhanced range and speed, I'd be getting something like an Inspire 2 or Matrice 210 out to follow this bastard...

And if this is a commercial-grade DJI drone, here's hoping DJI get out there with an Aeroscope and help track this jerk pilot down!
2018-12-20
Use props
djiuser_jBXOnzT6p8Z1
Second Officer
United Kingdom

hallmark007 Posted at 12-20 14:50
Rules only work for those who obey , we don’t need anymore of them , but I think main damage that will be done is public perception about drones and the backlash for hobbyists and those who operate within the rules.
Having listened to the media for most of the day, they are not demanding more rules, they are looking for airports to be more secure against these attacks, and I think this will be a wake up call to all international airports that they need to get their ass in gear to prevent this happening to them.

Some in the house of lords have called for stricter regulations today. The Aviation Minister clearly looked under considerable pressure.

Agree though, I think we all will feel watched and judged next time we're flying in public view ...
2018-12-20
Use props
MagicRide
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6766027 ft
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 12-20 14:50
Rules only work for those who obey , we don’t need anymore of them , but I think main damage that will be done is public perception about drones and the backlash for hobbyists and those who operate within the rules.

I agree with what you say about rules, however if you watch the video from the UK the house of commons is pushing for stricter rules which seems idiotic. Unfortunately as people's fears grow so do their demands on the politicians. To be honest most politicians have no idea how a drone works and most don't care. They just want to look like their doing something.
2018-12-20
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

MagicRide Posted at 12-20 14:59
I agree with what you say about rules, however if you watch the video from the UK the house of commons is pushing for stricter rules which seems idiotic. Unfortunately as people's fears grow so do their demands on the politicians. To be honest most politicians have no idea how a drone works and most don't care. They just want to look like their doing something.

That’s the House of Lords , the House of Commons is where the teal action takes place, there have been new rules set out this year for UK, some very strange ones 1km from major Airports 400ft AGL and not 400ft above ground, so I’m not sure who thought  these up, but they need a second look , they also have new registration and test coming up in 2019.
The rules for drones are pretty good, but the lack of any effort to to police these rules shows that it hasn’t been a major concern, this might change particularly if government gets involved and this may not be that nice for users.
2018-12-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules