7346 38 2018-12-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
snowskier
lvl.3
Flight distance : 246 ft
Portugal

Hi everyone,

Got a doubt...when I'm filming and I try to use the button on the RC to take photos it just don't work! I have to stop filming and take the photo and then I can star filimg again...

Any help on this?
2018-12-20
Use props
1cmathis
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1007 ft
United States

So, you're asking the camera to do two things at once?
2018-12-20
Use props
snowskier
lvl.3
Portugal

1cmathis Posted at 12-20 08:31
So, you're asking the camera to do two things at once?

Yeah! What's so surprising about it?
Most of my Cameras like Canon and Panasonic can take pics while filming video.
Why can't the Mavic do the same?

I read somewhere that this is only possible on the Mavic Zoom. But I'm not sure and that's why I've asked.

Thanks
2018-12-20
Use props
ff22
lvl.4
United States

Somewhere, someone recently asked the same question.  The suggestion was to extract individual frames from the video.
2018-12-20
Use props
1cmathis
lvl.3
United States

snowskier Posted at 12-20 09:05

Are you sure you're not just extracting frames from the video and not actually taking a separate photo?
2018-12-20
Use props
Alex B.
lvl.4
Flight distance : 21105262 ft

Spain

snowskier Posted at 12-20 09:05

Mavic 2 zoom can take pictures while recording????
That’s news to me

Fly safely and enjoy
Alex
2018-12-20
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, thanks for the inquiry. Are you trying to capture image whilst the aircraft is on record? We will check this scenario if this could be possibly done. Thank you for the support.
2018-12-20
Use props
saviour
lvl.4
Flight distance : 604203 ft
Germany

Short answer: No, it's not possible.
2018-12-20
Use props
HedsIc
lvl.4
Flight distance : 478757 ft
United States

You can take still photos while recording video on the Phantom 4 Pro and Advanced, but not on the Mavic series drones for some reason.
2018-12-20
Use props
1cmathis
lvl.3
United States

Not being a photographer, can someone explain how the camera can use the iris for a photo, without interrupting the video?

Can you use two different camera setting s for video and photos when doing both at the same time? Or, is it just grabbing a frame from the video and storing it separately?
2018-12-20
Use props
snowskier
lvl.3
Portugal

1cmathis Posted at 12-20 10:06
Are you sure you're not just extracting frames from the video and not actually taking a separate photo?

That's exactly what I mean! I can do it with an S95 Canon Compact camera 4 years old and it's not possible to do it on a "state of the art" drone?
But with the S95 the frame is extracted automatically just for hitting the button.
Obviously with a video editor you can extract as many frames you want but in several cameras that's possible on camera.

Answering Alex B., man...you're a Pro! I guess when you was born, you knew everything before everyone.

Thanks for your support. AH
2018-12-20
Use props
HedsIc
lvl.4
United States

I still cant answer why but here is the official answer on can it.
Screenshot_20181220-192741_Samsung Internet.jpg
2018-12-20
Use props
HedsIc
lvl.4
United States

1cmathis Posted at 12-20 15:33
Not being a photographer, can someone explain how the camera can use the iris for a photo, without interrupting the video?

Can you use two different camera setting s for video and photos when doing both at the same time? Or, is it just grabbing a frame from the video and storing it separately?
I beleive thats all it is. Quick auto screen grab of the video. Probably why you cant take raw photos while recordong video on the P4A . You also can't use the photo settings while recording a video.
2018-12-20
Use props
Alex B.
lvl.4
Flight distance : 21105262 ft

Spain

snowskier Posted at 12-20 16:50
That's exactly what I mean! I can do it with an S95 Canon Compact camera 4 years old and it's not possible to do it on a "state of the art" drone?
But with the S95 the frame is extracted automatically just for hitting the button.
Obviously with a video editor you can extract as many frames you want but in several cameras that's possible on camera.

Hmm I think I was right here and the mavic 2 zoom can’t take pictures while recording, so...

Fly safely all
Alex
2018-12-20
Use props
El Diablo
Second Officer

Germany

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2018-12-20
Use props
gnirtS
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5712575 ft
Thailand

Thats what's supposed to happen.  You video OR you take photos.  Can't do both at once.  If desperate you can grab a low resolution, compressed, potentially motion blurred JPG from a video frame but its a poor solution.  Do them separately.
2018-12-21
Use props
Just Me0
New

United States

1cmathis Posted at 2018-12-20 08:31
So, you're asking the camera to do two things at once?

Phantom dose that  
2019-8-3
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

All it does is save a frame from the video that is currently being recorded.

From the P4P FAQ's:-

2.What advantages does the Phantom 4 Pro V2.0 have for shooting video?

The Phantom 4 Pro V2.0 can record UHD 4K (4096×2160) at 60fps, at a maximum bitrate of 100Mbps using the H.264 codec and also supports H.265. It also allows you to capture still images while filming.

3.What is the resolution and format of photos captured while recording video?

Photos will be captured as JPEG in the same resolution as the video recording.

2019-8-3
Use props
David Martin Graff
Second Officer
Flight distance : 106566408 ft
  • >>>
United States

I tried taking photos today while recording with my Mavic 2 Zoom and I heard a few flash but when I checked the Micro SD card I couldn't find them, does this mean it doesn't take pictures while recording video?
2019-8-20
Use props
AntDX316
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3394731 ft
  • >>>
United States

It does but then I cannot turn the video off if you demand a lot at the same time.  2.7K60 recording, HD feed mode, RAW image shot, you cannot turn the video off or take more photos, the video file is corrupt.  I get scared to run the P4 in HD mode because it sometimes goes hard into Aircraft disconnected.  The M2P computer is far more reliable and better but for mapping, the P4PV2.0 has given me Zero problems.
2019-8-20
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

David Martin Graff Posted at 8-20 22:02
I tried taking photos today while recording with my Mavic 2 Zoom and I heard a few flash but when I checked the Micro SD card I couldn't find them, does this mean it doesn't take pictures while recording video?

Link below from the FAQs for the Mavic 2, it doesn't grab frames from the video like the P4 Pro can:-

8.Can Mavic 2 take photos while recording video?

No.

2019-8-21
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

AntDX316 Posted at 8-20 23:43
It does but then I cannot turn the video off if you demand a lot at the same time.  2.7K60 recording, HD feed mode, RAW image shot, you cannot turn the video off or take more photos, the video file is corrupt.  I get scared to run the P4 in HD mode because it sometimes goes hard into Aircraft disconnected.  The M2P computer is far more reliable and better but for mapping, the P4PV2.0 has given me Zero problems.

See post 21 for the detail from DJI.

It is one of the advantageous the P4P has over the Mavic 2.
2019-8-21
Use props
AntDX316
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3394731 ft
  • >>>
United States

Aardvark Posted at 8-21 17:30
See post 21 for the detail from DJI.

It is one of the advantageous the P4P has over the Mavic 2.

I know, but I don't need to take photos while I film.  C4K60 and mapping w/ the mechanical shutter is the main reason to have the P4, but someone said the M2P does mapping more vibrantly.  You also don't get barrel distortion so everything is as straight-lined as it should be.  Precision tolerances aren't required for taking photos as some people wouldn't notice.  The colors are far better on the M2P than the P4 because of the imaging processing system that is beyond bit count.
2019-8-21
Use props
David Martin Graff
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Aardvark Posted at 8-21 17:26
Link below from the FAQs for the Mavic 2, it doesn't grab frames from the video like the P4 Pro can:-

8.Can Mavic 2 take photos while recording video?

That is what I also had this understanding that Mavic 2 cannot take photos while recording videos.. Thanks.
2019-8-21
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>

David Martin Graff Posted at 8-21 19:56
That is what I also had this understanding that Mavic 2 cannot take photos while recording videos.. Thanks.

I wonder if DJI could add that with a firmware update?
2019-8-23
Use props
gnirtS
Second Officer
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 8-23 00:26

No.
Change to stills involves changing just about everything about sensor readout.  You have to stop the camera to take a still photo.
Im not aware of any camera that can take a still photo while videoing without a recording interruption.
All the ones mentioned above just take a video resolution screenshot which is not the same thing.
2019-8-23
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Unfortunately it’s not possible on M2, you need P4 pro which will take low resolution photos while filming .
2019-8-23
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

I’m not certain why others choose to give wrong information out.

Whether it’s possible with M2 FW update I’m not certain, but I can tell you with certainty that you can shoot photos with P4 pro as you film, they are low resolution, but yes it’s possible .A photo is exactly that a photo.
2019-8-23
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>

hallmark007 Posted at 8-23 03:40
I’m not certain why others choose to give wrong information out.

Whether it’s possible with M2 FW update I’m not certain, but I can tell you with certainty that you can shoot photos with P4 pro as you film, they are low resolution, but yes it’s possible .A photo is exactly that a photo.

I think the original question was related to the Mavic 2 pro.
2019-8-23
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Extract the still images from the video on the Mavics as you can't capture a still whilst recording - the Phantom 4 Adv and Pro you can but that may have something to do with that camera having a mechanical shutter
2019-8-23
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>

A J Posted at 8-23 04:28
Extract the still images from the video on the Mavics as you can't capture a still whilst recording - the Phantom 4 Adv and Pro you can but that may have something to do with that camera having a mechanical shutter

For me its about the convenience,  if I can grab a still while filming after the flight I can send that to someone,  but getting the still from the video takes much more time.
2019-8-23
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

DAFlys Posted at 8-23 04:06
I think the original question was related to the Mavic 2 pro.

I think I tried to answer your question regarding if FW could be added to allow this feature.
2019-8-23
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 8-23 04:32
For me its about the convenience,  if I can grab a still while filming after the flight I can send that to someone,  but getting the still from the video takes much more time.

It does take a bit longer but the only way of doing it with a Mavic at things stand - not sure if this is due to an electronic shutter limitation
2019-8-23
Use props
David Martin Graff
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Hopefully, that would be helpful..
2019-8-23
Use props
woolfie
lvl.4
Flight distance : 598100 ft
Austria

Some years ago I owned a Panasonic video cam which was able to take a high resolution picture (13 MP) while recording a full hd video (2 MP). So it must be technical possible.
2019-8-23
Use props
dsam
lvl.2
Flight distance : 8360 ft
United States

gnirtS Posted at 2019-8-23 03:21
No.
Change to stills involves changing just about everything about sensor readout.  You have to stop the camera to take a still photo.
Im not aware of any camera that can take a still photo while videoing without a recording interruption.

How do you know this is not an artificially imposed limitation by DJI?
2021-4-11
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

dsam Posted at 4-11 12:00
How do you know this is not an artificially imposed limitation by DJI?

No doubt it is imposed by DJI, and why should'nt they? Taking a still photo while shooting video involves a lot of complex operations to be done in a fraction of a second, so if that adversely affects the video file, then they would be wise to inhibit it.
2021-4-11
Use props
gnirtS
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Simply isn't possible to stop filming, change to the camera, take and write a raw image (and allow for the shutter speed) and return the camera to video mode in the interval between frames in a video.  You'd get 1 or 2 dropped frames at least.
Even more so on the M2P which uses pixel binning and/or line skipping to create a video.  That would show horrible on any photo attempt.
All the cameras that "do" this take an effective video screenshot and just write it as a file.  If you're going to do this, may as well just take a screenshot afterwards.

You'd need far more expensive and higher bandwidth hardware than the M2 has.
2021-4-11
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

gnirtS Posted at 4-11 16:14
Simply isn't possible to stop filming, change to the camera, take and write a raw image (and allow for the shutter speed) and return the camera to video mode in the interval between frames in a video.  You'd get 1 or 2 dropped frames at least.
Even more so on the M2P which uses pixel binning and/or line skipping to create a video.  That would show horrible on any photo attempt.
All the cameras that "do" this take an effective video screenshot and just write it as a file.  If you're going to do this, may as well just take a screenshot afterwards.

"You'd need far more expensive and higher bandwidth hardware than the M2 has."

Correct, and with many SD cards working on the edge of their speed range, you would not be able to write the file fast enough.
2021-4-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules