Is my Spark focusing correctly?
1939 23 2018-12-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Dazba
lvl.2
Flight distance : 17188 ft
United Kingdom

Hi all my name is Darren and I recently bought a second hand spark from  Ebay here in the UK. The Spark is 6 months old and flies superbly. Only  issue I have is that focus seems to be set to around 3m not infinity.  Any thing within 3m is in good sharp focus but when I take the drone up  in the air the ground becomes mushy. I have factory reset the drone  using DJI assistant and refreshed the firmware, reset the camera  settings tried 3 different sd cards, calibrated the IMU and compass. I  am using the controller to fly the drone but the issue still remains  without the motors running and the drone stationary? Could this be down  to a crash by the previous owner?

Camera in manual mode ND8 filter ISO 100 shutter 1/100

this video shows that the camera is sharp with objects close to the drone.

2018-12-20
Use props
Wolferl
Second Officer
Flight distance : 23793 ft
Germany

Hi Dazba,

Sorry I can't see your videos (seem to to blocked)...

Cheers,
Wolferl
2018-12-21
Use props
Haggi
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2581785 ft
Norway

Is this footage taken from SD card in Spark or internal storage on your device?
Downloaded one of your video's from youtube in 1080p and the bitrate is only 4.5 Mbps..
2018-12-21
Use props
Dazba
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Haggi Posted at 12-21 02:26
Is this footage taken from SD card in Spark or internal storage on your device?
Downloaded one of your video's from youtube in 1080p and the bitrate is only 4.5 Mbps..

videos straight from sd card and uploaded to youtube, has youtube compressed the file? videos on my device look even worse. bitrate on original file is 24199kbps
2018-12-21
Use props
Wolferl
Second Officer
Germany

Hi Dazba,

I can see your YT videos now. But there are too many artifacts to judge it. Maybe you can put the original video file in a dropbox or Google drive or something?
Have you tested pictures, are they also not sharp?

Cheers,
Wolferl
2018-12-21
Use props
Haggi
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2581785 ft
Norway

Dazba Posted at 12-21 02:35
videos straight from sd card and uploaded to youtube, has youtube compressed the file? videos on my device look even worse. bitrate on original file is 24199kbps

Okay, seem to be a media converter doin stuff on my side. Sorry about that.
Do you have some footage without any filter uploaded at youtube?
2018-12-21
Use props
Dazba
lvl.2
United Kingdom

I have uploaded a video to dropbox, no filter on the camera and straight from sd card.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wju9xf09sxzrjlx/DJI_0210.MP4?dl=0
2018-12-21
Use props
Dazba
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Wolferl Posted at 12-21 02:50
Hi Dazba,

I can see your YT videos now. But there are too many artifacts to judge it. Maybe you can put the original video file in a dropbox or Google drive or something?

photos look a little better too much contrast but sharper than video
2018-12-21
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
Flight distance : 5922034 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

how about, you are doing a couple of pictures?
Panos, too.
Is it there different?
2018-12-21
Use props
Dazba
lvl.2
United Kingdom

S-e-ven Posted at 12-21 05:54
how about, you are doing a couple of pictures?
Panos, too.
Is it there different?

photos don't look too bad not tried pano or shallow focus yet. If I downgrade the firmware and reinstall the latest will that reset the focus?

2018-12-21
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
  • >>>
Thailand

Afaik, it is a fixed focus.
So in case there is something wrong, it is something wrong!
You need to do "better" pictures, meaning better areas for the abilty to check on the focus.
Trees , green leaf pictures are always a bit difficult!
If it is 6 month old, it still has warranty. Do you have the receipt?
Create the "better" pictures and get in contact with DJI!

You have cleaned the lens, no plastic or other stuff on it?

2018-12-21
Use props
Dazba
lvl.2
United Kingdom

S-e-ven Posted at 12-21 07:03
Afaik, it is a fixed focus.
So in case there is something wrong, it is something wrong!
You need to do "better" pictures, meaning better areas for the abilty to check on the focus.

I have only had the drone for two weeks and only been able to take it out twice because of the weather. It still has 3 months DJI Carefresh on it so I will get in touch with DJI support. I used to have a Mavic Pro so maybe I am asking a bit much from the Spark?
2018-12-21
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Dazba Posted at 12-21 07:18
I have only had the drone for two weeks and only been able to take it out twice because of the weather. It still has 3 months DJI Carefresh on it so I will get in touch with DJI support. I used to have a Mavic Pro so maybe I am asking a bit much from the Spark?

Hi Dazba. We're very sorry for the inconvenience caused.  Can you please provide a different video on a different place so that we can check it further? You can upload it using google-drive or Dropbox and provide the link here. Thank you.
2018-12-21
Use props
Dazba
lvl.2
United Kingdom

DJI Natalia Posted at 12-21 09:44
Hi Dazba. We're very sorry for the inconvenience caused.  Can you please provide a different video on a different place so that we can check it further? You can upload it using google-drive or Dropbox and provide the link here. Thank you.

Sorry for the delay, I have uploaded a video for you with not too many trees in it. I have not used the drone much since purchase but hope to get out with it later today. The video was shot in manual with a ISO of 100 and a shutter at 1/100 white balance set to daylight and straight of the sd card.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5co0kjgfcb3uzl1/DJI_0216.MP4?dl=0
2018-12-22
Use props
Wolferl
Second Officer
Germany

Dazba Posted at 12-22 00:53
Sorry for the delay, I have uploaded a video for you with not too many trees in it. I have not used the drone much since purchase but hope to get out with it later today. The video was shot in manual with a ISO of 100 and a shutter at 1/100 white balance set to daylight and straight of the sd card.

Hi Dazba,

I just looked on your video...to me it seems there's not a focus issue, but a jitter issue. That jitter looks like a blurry image. IIRC there is one guy here that had the same problem.

Cheers,
Wolferl
2018-12-22
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
  • >>>
Thailand

You should send a pm to DJI Nathalie.
My guess is: you need to send it in!
2018-12-22
Use props
jmb63
Second Officer
Flight distance : 7009439 ft
  • >>>
United States

As stated above, you definitely have a "jitter" issue! Excessive vibration could cause this.
The Spark has a fixed focus so that is not a concern but I would give the gimbal area a quick look over to see if anything is loose. I remember a post from somewhere that a screw fell out in the gimbal area of their Spark.
Also, check the propellers. make sure they are not chipped, etc or some cheap replacement. A badly balanced or damaged propeller will definitely affect the video!
2018-12-22
Use props
Dazba
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Wolferl Posted at 12-22 03:23
Hi Dazba,

I just looked on your video...to me it seems there's not a focus issue, but a jitter issue. That jitter looks like a blurry image. IIRC there is one guy here that had the same problem.

Cheers Wolfer, I think you are spot on. It is a jitter issue not focus. I will get in touch with DJI support, thank you for your time much appreciated
2018-12-22
Use props
Dazba
lvl.2
United Kingdom

jmb63 Posted at 12-22 05:59
As stated above, you definitely have a "jitter" issue! Excessive vibration could cause this.
The Spark has a fixed focus so that is not a concern but I would give the gimbal area a quick look over to see if anything is loose. I remember a post from somewhere that a screw fell out in the gimbal area of their Spark.
Also, check the propellers. make sure they are not chipped, etc or some cheap replacement. A badly balanced or damaged propeller will definitely affect the video!

Thank you for the advice, I will check the drones gimbal. I purchased e new set of DjI props when I bought the drone. It is very stable in the air, as good as my Mavic Pro was.
2018-12-22
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

We're sorry about this issue, Dazba. Please visit www.dji.com/support to start a case and send the unit in. If the unit is under warranty period, we'll offer you a proper solution according to the data analysis result. In case repair fee needs to pay, you can determine to use the DJI Care Refresh or not at that time. Thank you.
2018-12-22
Use props
Tentoes
First Officer
Flight distance : 6018255 ft
United States

For your jitter, how are the propellers? Perhaps you should replace them for like $20.
2018-12-22
Use props
Dazba
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Just to let people know that DJI replaced the drone using DJI Carefresh Express. The replacement drone is spot on, no focus or jittering issues. Thank you very much DJI
2019-1-12
Use props
Lysak2003
First Officer
Flight distance : 500052 ft
Ukraine

It lands credibility to DJI.
2019-1-13
Use props
Wolferl
Second Officer
Austria

Dazba Posted at 1-12 23:41
Just to let people know that DJI replaced the drone using DJI Carefresh Express. The replacement drone is spot on, no focus or jittering issues. Thank you very much DJI

Hi Dazba,

Perfect! Great you got your Spark replaced. Happy flying!

Cheers,
Wolferl
2019-1-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules