Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Hello and Goodbye - The shells of doom.
1404 20 2018-12-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
SarahC
lvl.1

United Kingdom

This is just a bad luck story, and how surprised I was on learning a few things after buying my first gimbal held camera drone...

I bought a Phantom 3 Standard as a Christmas gift over a month ago - and it's been in storage since.
After 21 flights, 1 hour 19 minutes of flight - I was horrified to discover one of the motor mounts had cracked. I went online and discovered that it's a very common problem.
But after an hour? Not THAT common.

I read about metal brackets to hold the motor to the arm - which I ordered yesterday - but people have wrote about cracks continuing, and needing to use epoxy and all other kinds of glues to keep it from spreading.

Then unrelated, but another sad discovery - the transmitter is limited in the UK to 500 meters maximum in perfect conditions. Around WiFi spots I could only get around 300 meters.

The gimble kept nodding to the side too! I didn't really care about wonky horizons at this point, but it's another negative. (Online people also point out recalibrating the gibmal works for 20 minutes or so)

As it's past a month since purchasing, I can't get a refund - and I don't want a new shell that's going to fail the same way in a short amount of time.
The extra battery from Argos is in the same situation - past a month for returns.

It's been a sad learning experience for me - from learning the cracks will always happen in the P3 shells, and that UK CE drone ranges are so short you're limited to "spot flights" stood next to items of interest, along with crooked horizons.

Note to self - DO NOT buy tech early for Christmas to avoid stock issues. Warranties run out. It's best to buy before/after and use them straight away.

I wanted fun exploring a mile around the house, with minimal maintenance and risk. I thought for the price even for the basic version that would happen from the market leader.
I was really sad when it didn't!

So it's off to eBay for me, and hopefully minimize my losses.
Hat's off to all of the "Troopers" out there that do battle with these issues with the drones..... I had no idea!
2018-12-21_10-17-59.jpg
2018-12-21_10-18-53.jpg
2018-12-21
Use props
Betamace
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2133 ft
United States

Fourteen months and 232 flights later my refurbished P3s  finally showed a single crack and a  month and one half  later there were several other cracks noticed. I bought a  new shell on Ebay and it's been good during the past summer. The 500 meter range restriction does not apply here so I've flown out over 4130 feet while using a 67 dollar antenna mod.  The range cap for CE vs FCC is GPS enforced but that can be changed easily. If you ask in forums about the shells cracking early you will find that it is not always the case because  the vinyl molding and formulation differs from one production lot to another. The $33 shell that I bought from a no-name supplier in Asia feels a lot more flexible than the original. I really like my P3s but when I find a good deal on a Mavic 2, that's the course I'll take without hesitation.
2018-12-21
Use props
Mark The Droner
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

You should have known the limit was 500 meters - it's right there in the specs.  You can break the 500 meter stock limit in CE mode with an antenna modification.  Make sure you're not in beginner mode.  

That's a bad crack but it can be repaired with plast-aid.  I would build it up from the inside.  

You didn't tell us the problem with your battery.

DJI is making these things more and more adaptable to the general public, but as of now, I think it's still a hobby for hobbyists.  

Good luck

2018-12-21
Use props
Nebuchadnezzar
First Officer
Flight distance : 3440476 ft
Spain

Hello SarahC  my experience as a user made me learn this about stress breaks

The right configuration of Exponentials/ GAIN / brake / ATTITUDE/ etc ....It is essential to avoid those cracks
a bad configuration (in this case the parameter) of the brake, or if it is too rough, could have caused the damages exposed in the photo.

keep it in mind for the future
2018-12-21
Use props
solentlife
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
Azerbaijan

SarahC ............ one month is well inside the warranty period as per EU / UK Rules and you can easily contact Trading Standards to sort it out ... UNLESS you bought online from a dealer outside EU / UK.

As to this ".................Online people also point out recalibrating the gibmal works for 20 minutes or so" .. where did you read that rubbish ?

Contact local Trading Standards Office and get sorted .......
On another item though ... ''I wanted fun exploring a mile around the house, with minimal maintenance and risk'' .... even DJI official specs state clearly a lot less than 1 mile ... for that sort of range - you would need to have at least an Adv or Pro machine and even then in urban location you would not get 1 mile. Do not forget also that rules say you should not fly close to buildings / people etc. in UK .... so flying in a residential estate in UK is not advised !

Nigel

2018-12-21
Use props
Joszhe Tosa
lvl.4

United States

solentlife Posted at 12-21 10:29
SarahC ............ one month is well inside the warranty period as per EU / UK Rules and you can easily contact Trading Standards to sort it out ... UNLESS you bought online from a dealer outside EU / UK.

As to this ".................Online people also point out recalibrating the gibmal works for 20 minutes or so" .. where did you read that rubbish ?

Update us when you replace the shell (whether you replace the lower or the upper or the entire assembly) and update us on how it all goes.
2018-12-21
Use props
solentlife
Second Officer
Azerbaijan

Joszhe Tosa Posted at 12-21 12:13
Update us when you replace the shell (whether you replace the lower or the upper or the entire assembly) and update us on how it all goes.

Why would the operator replace the shell ???

Its DJI job to at that one month age .. there are many reports of DJI replacing shells of Phantoms under warranty ...

Nigel
2018-12-21
Use props
Joszhe Tosa
lvl.4

United States

solentlife Posted at 12-21 12:30
Why would the operator replace the shell ???

Its DJI job to at that one month age .. there are many reports of DJI replacing shells of Phantoms under warranty ...

I did not state (the operator) would be responsible for this. I only stated that once it was done to update us.

I think you're trying too hard for relevancy here.
2018-12-21
Use props
SarahC
lvl.1

United Kingdom

I'm  gunna keep my drone!

I've talked to my housemate about it, and I've realised it's more like keeping a car, than a piece of technology... it needs care and maintenance,  and some  glue!

I had the wrong idea when I first got it - like it was a laptop/phone/TV - that you just turn it on and do stuff. Then discovering it requires a bit of care, and self-maintenance, I was horrified.

I've come around to the idea now - and I'm willing to face the onslaught of Gatwick's fallout, and crazy eyed pedestrians shouting "Mah privacy!".

Many adventures await - it's a good reason to explore!

Thanks for all the words of advice - it really helped in my decision, knowing there's people with creative ideas and supportive words for keeping the drone in the sky.

Thanks all!
2018-12-21
Use props
SarahC
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Betamace Posted at 12-21 04:50
Fourteen months and 232 flights later my refurbished P3s  finally showed a single crack and a  month and one half  later there were several other cracks noticed. I bought a  new shell on Ebay and it's been good during the past summer. The 500 meter range restriction does not apply here so I've flown out over 4130 feet while using a 67 dollar antenna mod.  The range cap for CE vs FCC is GPS enforced but that can be changed easily. If you ask in forums about the shells cracking early you will find that it is not always the case because  the vinyl molding and formulation differs from one production lot to another. The $33 shell that I bought from a no-name supplier in Asia feels a lot more flexible than the original. I really like my P3s but when I find a good deal on a Mavic 2, that's the course I'll take without hesitation.

I see! Thanks for the history - I know what to expect now, and where to look for extending my range. =)
2018-12-21
Use props
SarahC
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Mark The Droner Posted at 12-21 04:55
You should have known the limit was 500 meters - it's right there in the specs.  You can break the 500 meter stock limit in CE mode with an antenna modification.  Make sure you're not in beginner mode.  

That's a bad crack but it can be repaired with plast-aid.  I would build it up from the inside.  

I only read the international info and didn't look too closely at the EU rules. I wonder after Brexit (that'll never happen) - if the UK will get better transmission distances?

Plast-aid? Is that the go-to people have found works best? I shall fill the arms with it!
2018-12-21
Use props
SarahC
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Joszhe Tosa Posted at 12-21 12:13
Update us when you replace the shell (whether you replace the lower or the upper or the entire assembly) and update us on how it all goes.

After a long thought through, I'm keeping the drone, and getting the shell replaced, and some glue and reinforced metal plates for it.

The seller in Europe that I got it from is going to organise the repair - and then when I get it back I'll fit the plates and make sure the screws aren't too tight.

2018-12-21
Use props
SarahC
lvl.1

United Kingdom

solentlife Posted at 12-21 10:29
SarahC ............ one month is well inside the warranty period as per EU / UK Rules and you can easily contact Trading Standards to sort it out ... UNLESS you bought online from a dealer outside EU / UK.

The seller I bought it from's going to use DJI to replace the shell. If there's a DJI center in the UK I'll send it direct instead.

The gimbal post was on the forums, mine skewed sideways about 15 degrees, and found that post, and it said that after re-calibration it can still drop down again if you're unlucky.

I've not experienced that myself though.
2018-12-21
Use props
solentlife
Second Officer
Azerbaijan

Good !!

Merry Xmas and a Happy New Year ... with many flights of your P3 .....

Cheers
Nigel
2018-12-21
Use props
solentlife
Second Officer
Azerbaijan

Joszhe Tosa Posted at 12-21 12:36
I did not state (the operator) would be responsible for this. I only stated that once it was done to update us.

I think you're trying too hard for relevancy here.

No - just making sure the 'right' remedy is used.

Nigel
2018-12-21
Use props
Joszhe Tosa
lvl.4

United States

SarahC Posted at 12-21 20:08
After a long thought through, I'm keeping the drone, and getting the shell replaced, and some glue and reinforced metal plates for it.

The seller in Europe that I got it from is going to organise the repair - and then when I get it back I'll fit the plates and make sure the screws aren't too tight.

Good deal. Please post pictures (if you can) and update us on what you do and use once everything is repaired so we can all check it out.
2018-12-21
Use props
Joszhe Tosa
lvl.4

United States

solentlife Posted at 12-21 20:32
No - just making sure the 'right' remedy is used.

Nigel

Well in that case I'm glad you are the "remedy" authority for us all on here and I hope "the operator" clears the repair process with you beforehand so that it meets your approval. I'd like to have expert knowledge on all future repairs so can I friend you?
2018-12-21
Use props
solentlife
Second Officer
Azerbaijan

Joszhe Tosa Posted at 12-21 21:02
Well in that case I'm glad you are the "remedy" authority for us all on here and I hope "the operator" clears the repair process with you beforehand so that it meets your approval. I'd like to have expert knowledge on all future repairs so can I friend you?

Very funny ...

Nigel
2018-12-21
Use props
solentlife
Second Officer
Azerbaijan

Word of caution ...

When fitting the plates :

1. KEEP the original screws safe in case you ever wish to remove plates and revert back to basic. The screws lengths are different. The replacement screws with the plates are slightly longer and without the plates can catch the motor windings and damage them.
2. Make sure you fit ALL screws including the ones with the short tubes - those ones actually are the ones that prevent arm flexing. There are 4 screws for motor .. and the two with tubes to lock arm shells.
3. Plates DO NOT completely stop cracks appearing - but reduce the likelihood ..
4. It is a good idea to occasionally remove the plates and inspect the arms to see if any cracks have appeared. If you see any start - ZAP them immedaitely to try stop them increasing. I use MEK Plastic Kit weld glue .. its a thin liquid solvent that plastic model kit builders use and apply with thin paint brush. It wicks into the joint and welds the plastic together. Use sparingly !!
5. Please use Plastic Safe thread lock on the four main screws that bolt down motor ... just a tiny bit on thread ends. You will see that DJI use Blue Thread Lock - please use similar Blue - which allows you to unscrew later. Do not use RED - that is permanent !! Local Car Accessory shop is best place to buy Thread Lock ... and don't forget : Blue Plastic Safe Version.

There are many opinions on why the cracks appear and sadly - even the replacement shells by warranty often crack as well ... but NO-ONE actually knows why .. it's just one of those things - that some crack and others can go for long time with no cracks at all. My P3S cracked within about the first 20 or so flights. I glued and plated the arms and it survived hundreds of flights till she went into the river having flown too long on the battery !! My P3P has no plates at present and is at least 2 years old ... near same shell as the P3S ... and no cracks YET !! I have plates - but just haven't got round to fitting ...

Nigel   
2018-12-21
Use props
Nebuchadnezzar
First Officer
Flight distance : 3440476 ft
Spain

Solved ? Nice to hear !!
2018-12-28
Use props
smirnoff9969
lvl.4
Flight distance : 582776 ft
Croatia

SarahC
looking at the photo I would say somebody tighten the screw too tough...there`s no way you can make that crack just by flying!!
gimbal must have been hit by somethnig durin landing or by hand!!

I bough my P3S second hand (in croatia) and didn`t have any issues with it. I made some nice videos (shown here  on forum) and still is in perfect condition.

but I`m glad you manage to fix your problems!!
2018-12-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules