Firmware update bricked my mavic pro
3479 11 2018-12-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
TheFlyingDave
lvl.1

United States

I bought a used Mavic Pro several months ago and flew it without problems several times. The controller, drone, goggles and DJI Go 4 app on my iPad all worked flawlessly.

Yesterday as I was getting ready to fly I was noticed in DJI Go that an update was available. I was in good wifi coverage so I started the update. The update got to about 40% complete after which there was no progress. I waited a half hour with no sign of progress so I shut everything down (drone, rc, DJI Go) and restarted them.

It no longer told me I needed to update but when I tried to fly it gave me an error 200: Takeoff failed. I have not been able to get rid of this error and my drone is therefore as functional as a brick.

Things I’ve tried:
  • Restarting everything and flying without the iPad (just the controller): controller says ready to fly, GPS Mode, but when I try to start the motors it says SYS WARNING - SEE APP.
  • I installed DJI Assistant 2 on my mac and reset the firmware on the drone to factory settings.
  • I rolled back the firmware on the drone to an older version.
  • I uninstalled/reinstalled DJI Go on my iPad
  • I *tried* to refresh the firmware on my RC via DJI Assistant but it always says “Update failed”. The same thing happened if I tried to revert to a prior version of the firmware.

I tried all of these things with the SD card inserted and with it removed. It has made no difference.

Needless to say I’m desperate and frustrated and would welcome any guidance.

2018-12-21
Use props
TheFlyingDave
lvl.1

United States

This is the error:

2018-12-21
Use props
TheFlyingDave
lvl.1

United States

Screen Shot 2018-12-21 at 8.55.07 AM.png
2018-12-21
Use props
HereForTheBeer
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

looks like tried many of the troubleshooting steps already with resetting, rolling back and refreshing...    you may have to try one of the jailbreak apps like dumbledor application (i dont know if they have it for mac), just unlock the bootloader, and dont re-roll any firmware or load custom firmware..just update/install whatever vanilla version is the latest for the mavic pro..

not directly advisable and technically agaisnt dji's rules but, ya goota do what ya gotta do... dji likely wanna have you send it in and charge you for repairs otherwise..

2018-12-21
Use props
TheFlyingDave
lvl.1

United States

HereForTheBeer Posted at 12-21 06:03
looks like tried many of the troubleshooting steps already with resetting, rolling back and refreshing...    you may have to try one of the jailbreak apps like dumbledor application (i dont know if they have it for mac), just unlock the bootloader, and dont re-roll any firmware or load custom firmware..just update/install whatever vanilla version is the latest for the mavic pro..

not directly advisable and technically agaisnt dji's rules but, ya goota do what ya gotta do... dji likely wanna have you send it in and charge you for repairs otherwise..

Ok I made some progress. Documenting my experience in case others run into this.

At Thunderdrone's suggestion I tried to update via DJI Go rather than through DJI Assistant. If you open the list of menus and scroll to the bottom three dots menu you'll find About. In there it shows the versions of all the firmware. My RC appeared to be up to date but the drone said update available. I tried updating it several times but it kept failing with error code 00000 (wow that's useful). So I shut everything down including the iPad and started them up in this order: drone, rc, iPad, DJI Go. This time the error 200 went away and I was able to get the motors to start. I was inside so I didn't fly but I'm assuming it would have flown fine because there were no other errors other than No GPS. I updated the firmware successfully via DJI Go and everything seems fine.

Phew... Christmas disaster averted!

Thanks!
2018-12-21
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi TheFlyingDave, thank you for bringing this query to us. We're sorry for the troubles you had recently with your Mavic Pro. I understand you tried everything as stated in your post. However, this error is caused by excessive USB plug-in and plug-out.  Kindly try this solution and let's see if it works.

1.Re-insert the USB cable of the Remote Controller
2.Remove USB cable of the aircraft and SD card
3.Restart the aircraft.

If everything's been exhausted, I suggest sending in the aircraft for diagnosis. Kindly contact our Product Support to assist you. We hope to help you with this. Thank you.
2018-12-21
Use props
HereForTheBeer
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

TheFlyingDave Posted at 12-21 06:42
Ok I made some progress. Documenting my experience in case others run into this.

At Thunderdrone's suggestion I tried to update via DJI Go rather than through DJI Assistant. If you open the list of menus and scroll to the bottom three dots menu you'll find About. In there it shows the versions of all the firmware. My RC appeared to be up to date but the drone said update available. I tried updating it several times but it kept failing with error code 00000 (wow that's useful). So I shut everything down including the iPad and started them up in this order: drone, rc, iPad, DJI Go. This time the error 200 went away and I was able to get the motors to start. I was inside so I didn't fly but I'm assuming it would have flown fine because there were no other errors other than No GPS. I updated the firmware successfully via DJI Go and everything seems fine.

hopefully your drone is okay and not damaged on firmware level.. if you can refresh the firmware successfully, i suggest doing it 2-3 times in a row.. and then repeat for each battery to make sure every module and item in the drone gets updated
2018-12-21
Use props
Alex B.
lvl.4
Flight distance : 21105262 ft

Spain

HereForTheBeer Posted at 12-21 10:14
hopefully your drone is okay and not damaged on firmware level.. if you can refresh the firmware successfully, i suggest doing it 2-3 times in a row.. and then repeat for each battery to make sure every module and item in the drone gets updated

One question, I updated my firmware only with one battery. The rest 3 I did not update, but the app tells me everything is fine, no updates or inconsistent hardware!

Fly safely
Alex
2018-12-21
Use props
HereForTheBeer
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Alex B. Posted at 12-21 18:25
One question, I updated my firmware only with one battery. The rest 3 I did not update, but the app tells me everything is fine, no updates or inconsistent hardware!

Fly safely

Not every firmware update has a battery update, but when having issues or maybe skipping a few updates, good practice to also try refreshing with with each battery as well, just Incase.
2018-12-21
Use props
Alex B.
lvl.4
Flight distance : 21105262 ft

Spain

HereForTheBeer Posted at 12-21 21:34
Not every firmware update has a battery update, but when having issues or maybe skipping a few updates, good practice to also try refreshing with with each battery as well, just Incase.

Thanks for explaining!

Fly safely
Alex
2018-12-22
Use props
fansbc0f1fc8
lvl.1
Martinique

Darn.  I have a similar issue with the MP2
2020-6-12
Use props
RampL Aerial photography
Second Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

I’m not trying to make anyone angry but as you stated you flew it several times without problems, why did you “update”? With these DJI drones I’ve found that if you are happy with the way your bird flys, don’t update because as your finding out, all updates are not good.  Many of these so called updates actually reduce performance..
2020-6-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules