Ronin S doesn't appear to be doing much of anything
854 8 2018-12-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
wideopen
lvl.1
United States

I've got a 7D with a grip on it. It's balanced and BALANCE TEST shows excellent results on all three sections. SYSTEM CALIBRATION works fine. AUTO TUNE, I'm not sure about. No idea what it's supposed to do but the camera doesn't move while the gimbal shakes on and off for 15 or 20 seconds. It completes with no apparent error.

When using the gimbal the camera does not stay pointed forward. Holding down the trigger to lock it kinda works, at least for a few seconds.

During my "waiting period" before I could post here (what absolute moron thought this up?) I perused a few topics and what little help is provided there always seems to be a request for a video of what is happening. Here it is:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kb9ppwh0bfj14ws/GOPR9953.MP4?dl=0

Brand new from B&H. If the boards are any representation there seem to be a lot of lemons. Would love to get this sorted out quickly so I can determine if my money would be better spent with a Weebill instead...

Thanks and Merry Christmas!

Mike
2018-12-21
Use props
wideopen
lvl.1
United States

I should've mentioned I did update the firmware to the latest that was available three days ago...
2018-12-22
Use props
Itsagoodalife
lvl.2
Flight distance : 402467 ft
United Kingdom

Mine does the same as this doesn’t see, to be very responsive when moving around Iatached to a Sony a6000 balance all excellent
2018-12-24
Use props
DJI-Paul
lvl.4
Flight distance : 41159547 ft
  • >>>
Hong Kong

It’s operating exactly the way it was designed to. You need to try and look at your camera’s screen and shoot a video to see the results instead of just watching the camera. The mode you’re in seems to be profile 1 which is meant to be follow your movements very slowly/cinematically. If you want the camera to always return very close to center after a movement you’ll need to choose one of the modes and turn down the deadband and increase the SmoothTrack speed.
2018-12-26
Use props
wideopen
lvl.1
United States

DJI-Paul Posted at 12-26 05:57
It’s operating exactly the way it was designed to. You need to try and look at your camera’s screen and shoot a video to see the results instead of just watching the camera. The mode you’re in seems to be profile 1 which is meant to be follow your movements very slowly/cinematically. If you want the camera to always return very close to center after a movement you’ll need to choose one of the modes and turn down the deadband and increase the SmoothTrack speed.

This is not my first gimbal and no my first DJI gimbal. If it's working as designed then your design is an utter failure. I don't need to have the camera on to see that the camera is NOT pointing anywhere near forward nor level after movements. It's not even slowly returning. It simplly wanders like my lazy eye.

I've been playing with the settings for 20 minutes and the only thing that changes is the speed at which the joystick will move the camera.

Maybe that first video was not as clear:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/u3nd1ezwmau7271/GOPR9291.MP4?dl=0

It behaves the same way across all 3 axis. It KNOWS where center is. It simply doesn't seem to care.

Settings are attached. I'm open to suggestions but this thing is completely useless right now.

Mike

2018-12-26 08.19.15.png
2018-12-26 08.20.11.png
2018-12-26 08.20.24.png
2018-12-26 08.20.40.png
2018-12-26 08.20.47.png
2018-12-26 08.20.57.png
2018-12-26
Use props
DJI-Paul
lvl.4
Flight distance : 41159547 ft
  • >>>
Macao

Again, it’s doing what it’s suppose to based off your video. You’re tilting up and it’s following your movement. That’s exactly what SmoothTrack is suppose to do.
2018-12-26
Use props
wideopen
lvl.1
United States

DJI-Paul Posted at 12-26 08:27
Again, it’s doing what it’s suppose to based off your video. You’re tilting up and it’s following your movement. That’s exactly what SmoothTrack is suppose to do.

I turned off SmoothTrack for tilt and roll which alleviates the wandering on those axis but no matter what motion I make it does not center itself on the pan axis. EVERY move I make, no matter how large or small, I have to double tap the trigger to recenter the camera. The gimbal knows where center is it just doesn't care. I don't get it...

There's gotta be a way to get a $750 gimbal to work properly? +/- 5° to 10° can't seriously be "working as designed." My Osmo Mobile doesn't have this problem.

Mike
2018-12-26
Use props
wideopen
lvl.1
United States

So no further advice or suggestions? Keeping the camera pointed ALMOST forward is as good as I'm gonna get? I'll need to learn to move PAST my aiming point in order to get the camera centered the direction it's supposed to be pointing?
2018-12-27
Use props
arthurbikemad
lvl.3
Flight distance : 49954 ft
United Kingdom

This has been requested/reported many times before but seems DJI report this is correct. I requested a new button, return to centre, where a mode maybe selected in that it always returns to it's centre point rather than as you say having to watch the framing on screen as to move past the centre point to get the shot your arms should be telling you that you have.
2018-12-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules