1234Next >
32544 153 2018-12-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
CasualDronePilot
lvl.4
Flight distance : 146135 ft
Sweden

Yes +1 on an option to turn the beeps off/go silen mode. Not that I'm particularly annoyed by the sound itself, it's just that trying to get candid footage of my dogs playing around is pretty much impossible. They react to the beep and instantaneously stop what they were doing and come over to figure out what made that noise. Same goes for filming my daughter when she's playing as the beeps makes her curious about what I'm doing.
2019-1-12
Use props
fansd2dc4533
lvl.1
United Kingdom

100% agree the beep needs to be able to be turned off in the settings for when filming in quite places. Please add this in an update.
2019-1-12
Use props
Aavalaakso
lvl.4
Flight distance : 328 ft
  • >>>
Finland

fansd2dc4533 Posted at 1-12 15:36
100% agree the beep needs to be able to be turned off in the settings for when filming in quite places. Please add this in an update.

Yeap, the beep will greatly reduce the number of places where the device could be used. Don't even understand this beep function since it means worse sales for DJI.
2019-1-13
Use props
MichaelDanCurtis
lvl.2
Flight distance : 10705 ft
United States

Personally I am starting to be convinced that DJI is heavily invested in the silent film industry... no external mic, the worlds most annoying beep that can't be turned off, and frankly a pretty terribad internal mic... on top of that , the device HAS A BEEP, but can't playback sound....

Hell a quick fix would be to allow for the use of the mic input on your phone and stream it into the video feed. Problem solved (or even TC the audio file)

... guys, I love your stuff, you make the finest drones, and your osmo pocket is brilliant. That being said, if you need a consultant that has a pair of ears, I could offer my services... here is the first bit of advice for free:

Most anyone will ignore a 40% degradation of video quality but will absolutely not watch a video with 40% degradation of audio. Equally, while just about everyone has been conditioned to ignore the nerd with the video device in an quiet place, that BBBBBEEEEEEPPPPPP set people on fire.

Honestly, you could ignore EVERY OTHER FEATURE and bug fix except the ability to record externally and turn off the beep, and you would double the value of your device.  I know it sounds odd that a video device's success  hinges on the ability to make and record sounds well, but... its just how it works.

Allow me to explain why and put this in perspective for you, its our basic human nature, we are literally evolved to be more critical of sounds.  Look at all the animals in the world, what animals do you know have poor eyesight, many species right? All kinds of animals can overcome the lack of sight and thrive.

Now, what species has managed to thrive without the ability to hear? Snakes and a few insects... and they use vibrations and chemicals....  all other animals have had to reply on an acute sense of hearing to thrive.  Humans are no different, and due to that we are very sensitive to sounds. Its why sound today is so incredibly important today.

I mention this because it seems DJI keeps missing this point on all of your products... even drone footage is hard to create a sync point if you don't know what your doing... (seriously why can't you use the audio feed from the Ipad or Android device? WTH folks?)

2019-1-14
Use props
EdM
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1491814 ft
  • >>>
United States

I must have  a  defective unit.   My gimbal hitting the end points on startup is way louder than my beep.   Beep is virtually inaudible past a couple feet.
2019-1-14
Use props
Upscaleman
lvl.3
United States

How to Mute the Beep:

Step 1: Remove the Osmo Pocket from its protective case.
Step 2: Power up the Osmo Pocket.
Step 3: Connect your Osmo Pocket to your phone.
Step 4: Wait for some future firmware update.
2019-1-15
Use props
hedac
lvl.4
Spain

I want it to have an option to be silent... but today... the double beep was useful to me, preventing me to keep recording while I wanted to stop. Because I thought I pressed the button to stop when.. I didn't hear the double beep I checked and it was still recording. I'll remember to press the button better next time when I put it on silent mode after the next firmware update
2019-1-15
Use props
hedac
lvl.4
Spain

cgbrian.com Posted at 1-15 11:28
Incorrect.. I have multiple videos that include a partial beep at the start, or at the end..

Yes, me too. I have yet to determine in which videos happens... It seems random.

2019-1-15
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

hedac Posted at 1-15 13:56
Yes, me too. I have yet to determine in which videos happens... It seems random.

Well I’ve heard this from a couple, but using it now for over a month or so I have not heard it in any recording, would you mind putting up a short clip or anyone that is having this problem, it might help and moderators might bring this to the attention of engineers, thank you.
2019-1-15
Use props
Aavalaakso
lvl.4
  • >>>
Finland

hedac Posted at 1-15 13:56

Yeap me too. Plenty of videos I recorded I have partial beep in my videos.
2019-1-15
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Aavalaakso Posted at 1-15 22:32
Yeap me too. Plenty of videos I recorded I have partial beep in my videos.

Can you post a video of it happening ?
2019-1-16
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

cgbrian.com Posted at 1-16 15:41
GAH! making a clip to beta test for the engineers! I should be getting paid for the work not paying to do it! lol.. but here is a short clip as you have requested

I really struggle to hear any beeping in that video, I’m actually baffled that you would try to show this with such loud background noise, surely it would have been better to record this in a silent atmosphere.
Unless you just jumped up the sound it’s all very strange I expected to hear the single beep when you started recording and the double beeping. But I don’t hear that.
2019-1-16
Use props
Curt1591
Second Officer
Thailand

WebParrot Posted at 2018-12-24 15:11
" ... cultural preferences ...."  ?   What do you mean ?  Are there cultures where a beep is .... ?

No; there are legal requirements.

Many Asian governments are paranoid. They don't want the ability to record in silence.
2019-1-16
Use props
Curt1591
Second Officer
Thailand

Searcher78 Posted at 1-8 04:42
Good news! Hope they find a solution fast. Can't even film my kittens when playing... when the Pocket beeps, they stop playing and looking at the Osmo.... :-(

Filming weddings with the beep is an absolute nogo....

At every wedding I have ever attended, the beep would be overshadowed by the wedding photographers, blocking everyone's view and dragging their equipment around.
2019-1-16
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

cgbrian.com Posted at 1-16 17:31
Its 100% silent environment.. that (as its description stated) is the same clip repeated 8x in a row.. maybe i went to fast and made it all confusing.. I'm sorry about that... as for the beeping sound?!? umm.. its rather evident.. literally that noise you are mistaking for a loud environment.. is the beep (and yes i raised the audio by 30db as stated in the description) yes this makes the ambient "hiss" louder.. but the beep is clearly there.. like I said maybe the repeat and all was confusing

I think if it’s clearly audible then just record it as normal , and I think that would be the test to do.
2019-1-16
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

cgbrian.com Posted at 1-16 17:48
I thought the sound of a hammer hitting steel was clear enough.. listen to the clip.. that massive beeping sound.. is it.. If it makes it easier for you.. I can upload the same clip that doesnt repeat.. and you will hear that same repeating sound- except once.. I'm not trying to be rude here but the beep is rather evident.. would a visual cue of the repeat like a timescale help you to "hear it"?

It the beep is audible then just put up the clip with normal sound there is no need to raise the audio at all.
2019-1-16
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

cgbrian.com Posted at 1-16 18:21
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKEZ2MyNmcI

Hit replay if its hard to hear

It’s impossible to hear OP beeps once when turned on and twice when turned off and unless you have the ears of an animal it’s not possible to tell that’s a beep, I’ve tried it here myself with 3 other people and they can’t hear it either, this beeping thing is just waffle,
I have also compared it to my Fuji XT3 with its beep sound turned off and it’s exactly the same . I’m not buying this as any problem except that at functions in churches it may draw attention to the person videoing and that’s were the need to be able to mute is needed the rest as I said is just waffle.
2019-1-16
Use props
Ken77
lvl.2
United States

I can’t recall hearing the beep in any of my many videos, but a way to turn it off would be nice.

I laugh at some who think this is the most annoying beep they’ve heard, apparently they’ve never used a Sony camera. Those are about 10x louder, even though you can turn them off.
2019-1-16
Use props
Ken-W
lvl.4
Flight distance : 394626 ft
  • >>>
United Arab Emirates

Curt1591 Posted at 1-16 17:10
No; there are legal requirements.

Many Asian governments are paranoid. They don't want the ability to record in silence.

Could you be more specific? I’ve listed a number of Asian countries where the beep is not a legal requirement in an earlier post, and I’m wondering where you are getting your information from - Japan and Korea, yes, but they are not representative of the whole of Asia.
Here’s more information:

There is no law that requires the shutter sound. It is an industry convention that developed in the early 2000s with the proliferation of feature phones equipped with high-resolution cameras. The three legacy carriers [in Japan], fearing possible government regulation, ordered their manufacturers to ensure that the shutter sound could not be suppressed.

The shutter sound is activated by the phone, based on the SIM that is inserted. The presence of the SIM indicates to the OS that this should happen: the OS selects carrier-specific settings based on the IMSI value of the SIM. Among these are things like 'show 4G instead of LTE', 'always show 3G, not 3G/H/H+', 'show 3G for 2G networks' (hi Sprint!), and 'always play the camera sound'.
For iOS, this is controlled by carrier profiles built into the OS: therefore all unmodified iOS devices will experience the unmutable shutter sound when used with a Japanese SIM.
Edit: iOS devices use the model number (country of first sale) to decide whether the shutter sound will be forced. The iOS image is the same for all devices.
(MCC 440 = Japan; all IMSIs starting with 440 belong to Japanese SIM cards).
Because this is in the standard Android open-source distribution, most devices will include it, and hence most will inherit the 'always play the shutter sound if used with a Japanese SIM' behavior.
On Android, the shutter sound is played using the 'enforced audible' sonification strategy. Device implementers are supposed to ensure that these sounds always make it to the device speaker and are un-mutable, but it's not always tested properly.

Note that this is how the regulation is applied on mobile phones. I can see how/why OP would need to comply for it to be sold in Japan/Korea, but forcing the beep for all countries is not a good idea,  From what I know, the beep is coded into handheld video cameras (consumer) sold in Japan/Korea, but  the same model of camera sold internationally does not have the beep and since there is no GPS or component that would detect the location of the camera, such cameras would record without the beep.
2019-1-16
Use props
Aavalaakso
lvl.4
  • >>>
Finland

hallmark007 Posted at 1-16 14:38
Can you post a video of it happening ?

Hi. I can find video that starts with it. Most of my videos are very long and I don't have time to edit those so I could try to find short one. It is random and it simple starts recording before the beep ends. It is always that first beep. The two beeps at the end are never in videos.

I had exactly the SAME problem with my OSMO PLUS. Pressing start using the handle the beep was in the beginning of the video.
2019-1-17
Use props
Curt1591
Second Officer
Thailand

Ken-W Posted at 1-16 23:39
Could you be more specific? I’ve listed a number of Asian countries where the beep is not a legal requirement in an earlier post, and I’m wondering where you are getting your information from - Japan and Korea, yes, but they are not representative of the whole of Asia.
Here’s more information:

Living under the current junta, I was told that it was mandatory here. I just projected that.

The current government is also why I haven't considered buying a drone. All of Bangkok is a no=fly zone.
2019-1-17
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Aavalaakso Posted at 1-17 00:24
Hi. I can find video that starts with it. Most of my videos are very long and I don't have time to edit those so I could try to find short one. It is random and it simple starts recording before the beep ends. It is always that first beep. The two beeps at the end are never in videos.

I had exactly the SAME problem with my OSMO PLUS. Pressing start using the handle the beep was in the beginning of the video.

I would like to hear the actual beep, some here have said it is the loudest beep they have ever heard, I’m not so sure, I don’t need to just hear camera starting up which you can hear in most video cameras but specifically the beep as I hear it when I push start, in above video it is certainly not audible.
2019-1-17
Use props
Aavalaakso
lvl.4
  • >>>
Finland

RE: How to switch off record "beep"?

Here is picture and video of the Beep. I hope I manage to use this forum post system.
You can clearly hear it and there is Adobe Premiere Elements screenshot. It is visible also in audio.

Beep.JPG

I hope this works.

Many of my family vids starts with half Beep.

Only Osmo Pocket and Osmo Plus does this. All other devices, smartphone, Sony handycam etc GoPro are not doing this.
2019-1-17
Use props
DJI-Osmo-User-1
lvl.4
United Kingdom

I want to first go on record to say that the beep does not bother ME at all, but when the OP is connected to my mobile and the record is triggered from the mobile the start beep from the MOBILE is recorded in the video most times.

But like I said I personally like the beep to start and beeps to stop as a little conformation recording has started.
2019-1-17
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Aavalaakso Posted at 1-17 11:17
Here is picture and video of the Beep. I hope I manage to use this forum post system.
You can clearly hear it and there is Adobe Premiere Elements screenshot. It is visible also in audio.

First thank you but I’m afraid this is not noticeable as beeping, remember others have said that this is the loudest beep they have heard on cameras, and why with mic so close it doesn’t sound like a beep, you have made a great effort, but what you have heard and volume level in premier is what you will see on all cameras starting up, I say this is camera starting up you may think this is caused by beeping, so I think it’s better to agree to disagree and thank you again for your efforts.
2019-1-17
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Tip: The post by the administrator or moderators shield
2019-1-17
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

cgbrian.com Posted at 1-17 14:46
Thank you for telling everyone that hears a beep being recorded that they are all wrong.. and including nothing but insults and cursing to the conversation. Again- I'm sorry you cant hear the beep on my example.. which is rather clear.. But constantly yelling at everyone telling them they are whining and wrong is useless.. clearly you are the one doing those things and I think I can speak for us all when I say please just stop.. we are using the forum to figure out where the beep is coming from.. there isn't a debate as to whether its there or not except from you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxsuTfBQwdU

Your ridiculous, when you start your OP cough, you will notice it will be recorded as a cough clear and understanding to all, but it seems the beep can only be recorded as a hammer hitting a bell, when volume is distorted in post . Start your OP and record the beep with your phone you will notice a clear and distinctive beep sound. Maybe you have an explanation of why it doesn’t sound like the beep I hear when I turn my OP on ?
And maybe you will explain why it’s giving you so much trouble ?
2019-1-17
Use props
Curt1591
Second Officer
Thailand

All I hear is a bit of a repetitive "thumping sound". If there is a beep, I think most would not be too annoyed with it.

As far as my hearing is concerned, the last time I was tested, the doctor was laughing because I was nailing frequencies beyond the normal human range, even with the distraction of traffic noises outside her office.

Maybe the Osmo Pocket beep isn't one of those frequencies.
2019-1-17
Use props
Aavalaakso
lvl.4
  • >>>
Finland

Aavalaakso Posted at 1-17 11:17

I was dealing with this issue with Osmo Plus long time ago and they said that I could avoid the problem using the record button on the Smartphone app when connected to the Osmo+.  If using handle there was a chance that Handles beep was recorded to the video because you cant mute the Osmo Handle. This was the answer from DJI on that time.

I have many videos all over in different situations like this one. I have tried pressing button differently. It does nothing. Sometimes it starts like that.

This is actually the reason why I would like to mute option. Ofc recording in silent places etc but this is just same problem that I had with Osmo+.

For me it is not speakers etc. I have tested it in many different computers.
2019-1-17
Use props
Aavalaakso
lvl.4
  • >>>
Finland

cgbrian.com Posted at 1-17 21:59
I know.. I was just trying to be polite to "hallmark" who says anyone who hears a beep is a "waffle" whatever that means.. But yes, I understand it's evident

I just ignore all human behaviour with different syndromes.

I'm just trying to find solutions to annoying "ZZAP" in the beginning of videos and that I could record in silent places with DJI products.
2019-1-17
Use props
OmeSlikkum
lvl.2
Netherlands

Would be awesome if this could be a choice. I hate beeps. Let me shoot in piece please
2019-1-17
Use props
Yanncd French yellow vest
lvl.4
  • >>>
France

I agree with this. This beep is too much. Can't film in silence places. Hangry faces.
Thanks to make it a choice.
2019-1-18
Use props
fansce59f5d2
New

United States

Pease fix this devs, all other cameras I have every used allow you to turn it off, major issue!
2019-1-18
Use props
hedac
lvl.4
Spain

some stats... yesterday I recorded 51 clips, 3 of them with audio beeps recorded in the beginning of the clips.

2019-1-19
Use props
Joemar7
lvl.4
  • >>>
American Samoa

Out of my 60 clips, 15 had the beep sound recorded at the beginning as well.  What's causing this?  My files were filmed on 1080p 60 fps auto.  
2019-1-21
Use props
djiuser_7hVvgSEQIVQd
New
Canada

THIS NEEEDS TO BE FIXED!
The "beep" sounds like a bomb going off when you are in a quiet event.

VERY EMBARRASSING
2019-1-22
Use props
Joemar7
lvl.4
  • >>>
American Samoa

cgbrian.com Posted at 1-23 20:52
interesting.. Mine are on 1080p 60FPS as well.. Not enough data to make a case study though lol.. Did you notice any correlation to the beeps being recorded when a phone is attached vs not?

I lost track of what was being filmed with the phone or not.  Most clips were filmed without the phone.  I will keep track from now on and will let you know.  I will try with other frame rates as well.  Lets make a case study.  Lol.  
2019-1-24
Use props
djiuser_z3l7j7Ci0Rlh
New

United Kingdom

I just got the osmo Pocket for a WEDDING next week, there's no way I can ruin the ceremony with 3 loud beeps every time I take a video!
All the reviews I've watched don't include the beeps, I didn't know this was a problem.
It's so disappointing.
2019-1-24
Use props
Joemar7
lvl.4
  • >>>
American Samoa

djiuser_z3l7j7Ci0Rlh Posted at 1-24 15:20
I just got the osmo Pocket for a WEDDING next week, there's no way I can ruin the ceremony with 3 loud beeps every time I take a video!
All the reviews I've watched don't include the beeps, I didn't know this was a problem.
It's so disappointing.

Yup.  Unfortunately, there's no way around it except let the OP keep recording without stopping but you will end up with broken clips in your sd card and with huge files if you're recording in 4k.   And those broken clips will have the audio slightly cut off in between.  It happened to me at a ceremony, and I would've preferred filmed with my iPhone instead if I knew better at that time.  I love the OP, but the beeping kills it sometimes.   
2019-1-25
Use props
fans16eab780
lvl.2
Russia

This is really serious. DJI you must make an option straightly in Osmo Pocket to turn OFF that EXTREMELY DISTURBING and ANNOYING BEEP sound. Please do not violate our freedom to operate Osmo Pocket in the way WE WANT, with such limits. I'm adding my vote to everyone here AND OPTION TO TURN OFF THE BEEP SOUND in Osmo Pocket MUST BE.

Dear DJI support, please send this message to your engineers/legal department or whoever are responsible for this intentionally created 'BEEP-problem'.
2019-1-26
Use props
1234Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules