Spark safe to fly at night?
7790 23 2018-12-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
TheGemster18
lvl.2
Flight distance : 359413 ft
United States

So, if I wanted to fly at night... lets just ssy... is there anything I can do to safe guard the drone? Is the big problem the VPS sensor on the bottom of the drone?  Can you cover it with black electrical tape?  Just a theory? Any ideas would be great! Tks. In advance,  Joey...
2018-12-23
Use props
Mikehtiger 8
lvl.1
Flight distance : 275013 ft
United States

Never had an issue flying at night. Had a lot of issues in the rain but never at night... Rain I usually get drops on the sensor but a quick thrust forward and backwards in sports mode will usually clear that issue up.
2018-12-23
Use props
Sayhelloforme
lvl.4
Flight distance : 8133219 ft
United States

Amazon and EBay sell strobe lights for safety. I know on the p3p you can turn the VPS off in settings so you should be able too also for spark. You really don’t need to worry about VPS at night, no big deal but if you fly over water trun it off if you fly low.
2018-12-23
Use props
Alex B.
lvl.4
Flight distance : 21105262 ft

Spain

I also have no issues flying at night.

Fly safely
Alex
2018-12-24
Use props
TheGemster18
lvl.2
United States

Thank you guys great information as always, the one thing I'm a little bit confused about is on the spark I don't believe there is a way to shut off the VPS on the bottom of the Drone?
2018-12-24
Use props
Strobing_NYC
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3866470 ft
United States

VPS is IR not visible light so the spark doesn't know if it's day or night when it's flying, you won't get great landing precision but it works fine. I like to fly at night better easier to see LED's and normally less wind .Plus I like night photography. This is a pano with the spark, i normally use the Mavic for my night photography but the spark will work just fine, make sure you use manual camera settings      

moon over hill

moon over hill
2018-12-24
Use props
Sulla
lvl.2

Australia

In some countries it is illegal to fly a drone at night e.g. Australia. Check with your local aviation authority!
2018-12-25
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, thanks for the inquiry. We highly recommended flying your drone in the daytime as the sensor of the aircraft may not work properly during night time and for us to avoid an incident. Thank you for continued support.
2018-12-25
Use props
TheGemster18
lvl.2
United States

@strobing_NYC Thank you my friend,  I also live in NYC. not in the city though,  yes I love night photography as well, I am dying to try this.  Happy Holidays!
2018-12-26
Use props
S-e-ven
First Officer
Flight distance : 5922034 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

Don't tape your vps! The tape could be "ground", that the bird would try to avoid and avoid and .... (you get the picture, methinks)
2018-12-26
Use props
msinger
First Officer
Flight distance : 228255 ft
  • >>>
United States

Right -- definitely don't tape over the bottom sensors.

Making your Spark more visible at night is a great idea. You could attach something like a Flytron STROBON Cree light.

2018-12-26
Use props
pianoplayer7
lvl.4
Flight distance : 259055 ft
United States

If you live in USA (which your profile says you do), then unless you have registered your drone under part 107 of the FAA and have a Remote Pilot Certification, then night flying is illegal. I was just checking on it this morning, and it says it directly on their website. If you have a certification, then you are allowed to with proper anti-collision lighting. If you are only registered under 336 like most people, then you can’t fly at night.
2018-12-26
Use props
FulanitoFlyer
lvl.3
Chile

I've flown at night a few times,  To be honest I didn't enjoy it one little bit.  
2018-12-27
Use props
Gunship9
lvl.4
United States

I think the Spark would be very hard to control and safely get back if it went into ATTI mode at night.  And extra hard to find once it was lost.  Going into ATTI mode is always a possibility.  Flying as if it won't go into ATTI mode is poor planning.  
2018-12-27
Use props
darkfull1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 13114 ft
Switzerland

Strobing_NYC Posted at 2018-12-24 16:05
VPS is IR not visible light so the spark doesn't know if it's day or night when it's flying, you won't get great landing precision but it works fine. I like to fly at night better easier to see LED's and normally less wind .Plus I like night photography. This is a pano with the spark, i normally use the Mavic for my night photography but the spark will work just fine, make sure you use manual camera settings      
[view_image]

very nice pics.
2019-1-3
Use props
Soiboy
lvl.2
Flight distance : 572566 ft
United States

Just tried flying in my backyard at night for the first time. Did not go well, Spark would not hold position and drifted all over the place, especially while landing.
2019-2-16
Use props
Sayhelloforme
lvl.4
United States

S-e-ven Posted at 2018-12-26 06:54
Don't tape your vps! The tape could be "ground", that the bird would try to avoid and avoid and .... (you get the picture, methinks)

I agree with not taping the sensors !,
2019-2-16
Use props
Sayhelloforme
lvl.4
United States

I have no problem flying the spark or my p3p at night. Mostly up to an hour after sunset. The Spark looks like a ufo flying at night when video is on. The front red lights are off and the back green lights blink fast. I have a strobe light I use made by firehouse. You can check it out on Amazon.  
2019-2-16
Use props
djiuser_1CHwymXvVJnH
lvl.1

Sri Lanka

very nice pics
2019-2-16
Use props
pmshop
Second Officer
Flight distance : 8073271 ft
  • >>>
United States

pianoplayer7 Posted at 2018-12-26 16:30
If you live in USA (which your profile says you do), then unless you have registered your drone under part 107 of the FAA and have a Remote Pilot Certification, then night flying is illegal. I was just checking on it this morning, and it says it directly on their website. If you have a certification, then you are allowed to with proper anti-collision lighting. If you are only registered under 336 like most people, then you can’t fly at night.

You have it backwards.
There is no night restriction for section 336 (future part 101E)
https://www.faa.gov/uas/recreational_fliers/

Daylight and civil twilight operations only for Part 107 with anti collision lights
https://www.faa.gov/uas/media/Part_107_Summary.pdf

2019-2-16
Use props
Lysak2003
Second Officer
Flight distance : 500052 ft
Ukraine

Check that you set your camera manually. Once I've flown at night with auto WB so footage had these wierd blinks.
2019-2-16
Use props
pmshop
Second Officer
Flight distance : 8073271 ft
  • >>>
United States

Flies fine at night:

2019-2-16
Use props
ChrisJG
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1725341 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Have flown at night with no issues, though found it almost terrifying. If there’s a large field away from buildings, people , trees etc that you can practice with initially, that would be a good place to start. Spark is easier to see at night because the lights can be more easily seen. Wait for GPS lock and that your home point has been set before take off too.
Good luck.
2019-2-17
Use props
Soiboy
lvl.2
Flight distance : 572566 ft
United States

pmshop Posted at 2-16 23:40
You have it backwards.
There is no night restriction for section 336 (future part 101E)
https://www.faa.gov/uas/recreational_fliers/

So recreational fliers are ok to fly at night? Awesome!
Here and I thought I was doing something illegal, uhm, I mean I thought my friend was doing something illegal.
2019-2-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules