1491 7 2018-12-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
gsxcorey
lvl.1
Flight distance : 7690 ft
United States

I'll keep it short.

I am in a gray area off a private airport. I'm in the take off or landing area (two areas that jut off the airport in a v shape).  It's a private airport with little to no activity almost all day. I called them and they will let me fly a drone in small time periods they tell me.  My question is in the go 4 app in the top left it says "gps max altitude 400" or maybe it's 395'.  Is there a way to over ride this since I have permission to be here? I've done research and can't seem to find a way to over ride it. I have approval. I just want to climb and get one sunset/sunrise pic from up high.  

I'm hoping someone can help me out here or is there no way to over ride it?  

Thank you,
Corey
2018-12-24
Use props
Mikem691
Second Officer
Flight distance : 247474 ft
United States

If you are in the US it's my understanding that the rule is 400' max allowable height anywhere.
2018-12-24
Use props
gsxcorey
lvl.1
United States

There is a tower here so I can go higher, but this damn restriction won't let me. I set it to 500m max height in the app, but I still can't go over 395'. I have this yellow warning in the upper right stating my max height. I'm assuming due to the airport gray area on the map when I was researching. Any way to over ride that as I have permission to follow the structure up and go a few hundred feet above it to snap this pic.
2018-12-24
Use props
gsxcorey
lvl.1
United States

I found this online and this is EXACTLY what i'm getting .394 feet warning.  Is it because i'm in the gray area off the airport? Is there a way to over ride it with permission?
2018-12-24
Use props
gsxcorey
lvl.1
United States

Called dji and he said it's because i'm in the area of the airport (right on the edge, but in it) and dji set a 394 limit. Not worth requesting an over ride when I can drive .5 miles and get my shot there.  Just wanted to update this thread so if anyone else gets that warning there is a good chance you're in some form of restricted area (if you can't go over that height and set the app to go over that height).
2018-12-24
Use props
CoreyB10
First Officer
Flight distance : 1665023 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

You have to prove you have permission from the correct authority and put in a code that proves you have that permission. Seen this issue before. Watch this video for if you are in the US - It's all about logging where and what and how long you are doing what you are doing. Appologies for if I have the wrong end of the stick.

2018-12-26
Use props
BumblerBee
Second Officer
Flight distance : 639764 ft
Norway

CoreyB10 Posted at 12-26 03:00
You have to prove you have permission from the correct authority and put in a code that proves you have that permission. Seen this issue before. Watch this video for if you are in the US - It's all about logging where and what and how long you are doing what you are doing. Appologies for if I have the wrong end of the stick.

https://youtu.be/VL8T3HrHv9Q

USA seems to have a really smooth way of notifying tower of a drone flight. Something for us in Europe to look closer at?!

And... those guys can fly like there is no tomorrow!!!
2018-12-26
Use props
FosyBear
lvl.1
United States

Great demonstration of getting FAA approval, thanks.
2019-1-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules