Video using 4k UHD v HD on a 4k TV?
519 5 2018-12-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Jeffuk
lvl.2

United Kingdom

I'd appreciate opinion. I am simply trying to decide whether to film in UHD or HD.  Heatseekers like me will automatically select the 4K settings because bigger is always better.  But is it?

If my sight is average and I normally sit 9 feet away from a new 65inch 4kUHD Sony screen (that has exceptional upscaling) - and if I presume I will not ever be upgrading the screen to 8k in the future - will I actually benefit much by filming in 4k UHD now or will it really in most circumstances appear to be the same as 1080 HD.  I know the logical reply will be "try it and see" but the eye can lie when controlled by wishful thinking and human bias and I'm seeking dispassionate expert views!

And that decision made ... assuming I'll always be filming in 50hz country .... should I film in 24 - 25 - 30 - 50 or 60 fps for normal stuff presuming I will never be using it for slo-mo. I have been viewing lot's of stuff on Youtube about the romance and cinematic quality of 24 ... but basically I'm recording travel memories and not making a feature film.

I'm an open-minded learner and would really appreciate any debate others are prepared to offer.

Ta muchly,

Jeff

2018-12-25
Use props
El Diablo
Second Officer

Greece

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2018-12-25
Use props
Jeffuk
lvl.2

United Kingdom

El Diablo Posted at 12-25 11:36
Beyond the actual resolution, think about future proofing. Full HDin 5 years will be like watching 480p in an HD TV.

Thanks, but  I’m not interested in future proofing.
2018-12-25
Use props
djiuser_yqKQYbvrrMvT
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1978 ft
United Kingdom

Think file size and transmission; if you have a decent setup to edit it on and don't mind massive files then 4k is the way to go. If you want to do something quickly and not kill your desktop/laptop etc then 1080 should be fine...
2018-12-26
Use props
El Diablo
Second Officer

Greece

2018-12-27
Use props
El Diablo
Second Officer

Greece