Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Phantom 4 Pro Batteries Dead
3483 8 2018-12-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
method007
lvl.4
Flight distance : 110449 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have a Phantom 4 Pro and bought 2 additional high capacity batteries for it.  The Phantom 4 Pro came with 1 battery.  I've had them stored for a few months and tried to charge them today.  The high capacity batteries both don't charge at all, they have no lights.  The one that came with the Phantom 4 Pro is still at 50% charge level.  It's my understanding there was apparently a firmware update, 1.8, that corrected an issue that allowed for the batteries to discharge all the way.

I spoke with DJI support today and they told me that because the batteries are out of warranty - even if it is due to their firmware issue - they still would not replace them.  I've spent thousands with DJI over the years, from the Phantom 2, Phantom 2+, Inspire 1, Phantom 4 Pro, Mavic Air, Osmo, etc.. on and on.  They are not even willing to look at the batteries to determine what the issue is.  

I'm really shocked at this.  How can DJI produce a battery with a software issue that allows it to kill itself, then refuse to replace the battery or even look at them to determine the cause?  These are effectively $170 paper weights and DJI couldn't care less about it.  

Anyone have any advice on how to deal with the situation?
2018-12-27
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Hi method007, we are sorry for what happened to the batteries, did you try to charge the battery for over one hour to see if there is any response?
If not, the battery could be over-discharged since you mentioned you stored them for a few months, it is recommended to fully charge and discharge the battery at least once every three months. Since your batteries have been out of warranty, the warranty service cannot be provided, thanks for your understanding.
Besides, the latest firmware of Phantom 4 Pro is 01.05.0600, which firmware are you referring to that corrected the battery discharge? More details would be appreciated.
GTScreenshot_20181228_111944.png

2018-12-27
Use props
1Eagle
lvl.4
Flight distance : 290348 ft
United States

Hopefully you are not expecting very much out of DJI.......
Clearly by their response, (repeating everything that you stated that pi**ed you off)
They do not give a sh***t.
They had a problem with earlier batteries fully discharging and becoming unrecoverable.
They fixed it with the newest FW.
The fact that they asked you what FW fixed the battery discharge is like saying "what problem?" LOL
I'm not trying to be rude but this is a known problem that they do not want to admit to.
Unfortunately for you and others before you, yes, they are now expensive paperweights.
DJI will not only deny that there was ever a problem they act as though everything is good now.
Hopefully, someone knows of a resurrection trick.
Good Luck.
2018-12-27
Use props
1Eagle
lvl.4
Flight distance : 290348 ft
United States

Found this. See #6

https://forum.dji.com/thread-134111-1-1.html

Hope it helps.

2018-12-27
Use props
method007
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 12-27 19:22
Hi method007, we are sorry for what happened to the batteries, did you try to charge the battery for over one hour to see if there is any response?
If not, the battery could be over-discharged since you mentioned you stored them for a few months, it is recommended to fully charge and discharge the battery at least once every three months. Since your batteries have been out of warranty, the warranty service cannot be provided, thanks for your understanding.
Besides, the latest firmware of Phantom 4 Pro is 01.05.0600, which firmware are you referring to that corrected the battery discharge? More details would be appreciated.
[Image]

I have 20+ other batteries that were all stored the exact same amount of time, they are all at about 50%.  Of course, the two most expensive batteries are the ones that totally discharged.  

I don’t care that the warranty has ended.  I’ve never seen the requirement that I have to discharge the batteries every 3 months and that surely wasn’t stated anywhere on the battery materials.

I’ve defended DJI for years.  I’ve spent thousands on DJI products and deserve better treatment as a customer.  To refuse to even look at the batteries, on my dime, to determine the cause is ridiculous.
DJi doesn’t have 2 minutes of their day to spend on a loyal customer?  It’s unforgivable.   
2018-12-28
Use props
method007
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

1Eagle Posted at 12-27 22:16
Found this. See #6

https://forum.dji.com/thread-134111-1-1.html

Thank you for both your posts, they were equally helpful.  I’m going to try that battery charging instruction right now.  I’ve never had a problem with any of my drones or batteries before so I was not aware of how bad DJI treated customers with problems.  
2018-12-28
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

method007 Posted at 12-28 07:04
I have 20+ other batteries that were all stored the exact same amount of time, they are all at about 50%.  Of course, the two most expensive batteries are the ones that totally discharged.  

I don’t care that the warranty has ended.  I’ve never seen the requirement that I have to discharge the batteries every 3 months and that surely wasn’t stated anywhere on the battery materials.

How to maintain and store the battery properly has been stated clearly in our User Manual and Battery Safety Guidelines: https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/ ... y+Guidelines+En.pdf

No matter what may cause the battery issue, the warranty service cannot be provided after the warranty period according to our After-Sales Policy, we appreciate your understanding.
2018-12-30
Use props
fans7f02bfcb
New

Australia

DJI Mindy Posted at 2018-12-30 03:13
How to maintain and store the battery properly has been stated clearly in our User Manual and Battery Safety Guidelines: https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/phantom_4_pro/20170125/flight+battery+safety+guidelines/Phantom+4+Series+Intelligent+Flight+Battery+Safety+Guidelines+En.pdf

No matter what may cause the battery issue, the warranty service cannot be provided after the warranty period according to our After-Sales Policy, we appreciate your understanding.

There is clearly a fault with the Phantom 4 DJI batteries. I own six genuine batteries purchased between 2017 and 2020, 3 of them have since swollen and bloated. The have 41, 33 and 31 charges each. DJI simply responded with, buy new batteries. For a battery that cost $289AUD, it is NOT good enough. At that rate of failure, I would have to factor in battery replacement as part of my drone hourly rate, to pay for replacement battery every 30ish flights. How long before (someone uses) one of these bloated batteries, and a drone falls out of the sky. I mentioned all this to DJI and still the same "head in the sand" response. My video cameras have batteries that are over 10 years old, I'm lucky to get 2 years out of the DJI drone battery. Not happy!!
2020-12-22
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

fans7f02bfcb Posted at 12-22 16:30
There is clearly a fault with the Phantom 4 DJI batteries. I own six genuine batteries purchased between 2017 and 2020, 3 of them have since swollen and bloated. The have 41, 33 and 31 charges each. DJI simply responded with, buy new batteries. For a battery that cost $289AUD, it is NOT good enough. At that rate of failure, I would have to factor in battery replacement as part of my drone hourly rate, to pay for replacement battery every 30ish flights. How long before (someone uses) one of these bloated batteries, and a drone falls out of the sky. I mentioned all this to DJI and still the same "head in the sand" response. My video cameras have batteries that are over 10 years old, I'm lucky to get 2 years out of the DJI drone battery. Not happy!!

I am sorry to hear about the issue with your battery. Could you please PM me the serial number of the issued battery? I will double-check it.
Besides, a warm prompt, to ensure the battery health, we suggest that you store it at 40~65% power if the battery will not be used for more than 10 days. Totally discharge and charge the battery at least once every 3 months.
https://store.dji.com/guides/battery-care-important-think/
2020-12-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules