Audio Lag
2673 15 2018-12-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Tony0806
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Hi one and all,

Can't seem to find any other threads with the very same issue I am experiencing so I'm putting this down to a potential u/s and defective product.

This is an interrmittent problem (possibly 10% of the time) that I am experiencing with my osmo pocket where the audio when played back either through my I-phone 7 or pc has a very small delay which you can understand is infuriating especially when I bought this to record those special family moments and hopefully holidays together etc.

It occurs both in selfie mode or when the camera is facing front, I have tried recording in both Mov or MP4 and different frame rates but every now and again, the audio lags and is not synced to the actual recording.

I have reported this issue with Amazon who has contacted DJI on my behalf and I shall try a replacement if this is the way it's going to play out.

I would appreciate it if anyone else can advise if they have experienced this same problem as myself and if they have managed to find a work around...? Heres hoping to a successful and professional fix or remedy...

Cheers
2018-12-28
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
lvl.4

United Kingdom

Are you sure it's not your phone not having enough memory to load the files sufficiently during play or the phone not being happy with the Pocket's codec? Have you tried the files on another machine?
2018-12-28
Use props
Tony0806
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Hi,

Thanks for the advice but unfortunately it’s the same on the pc after I’ve transferred the file from the pocket to the pc. I’m open to any suggestion which could resolve this but thanks anyway...
2018-12-28
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
lvl.4

United Kingdom

Tony0806 Posted at 12-28 10:30
Hi,

Thanks for the advice but unfortunately it’s the same on the pc after I’ve transferred the file from the pocket to the pc. I’m open to any suggestion which could resolve this but thanks anyway...

So far I've only been recording clips of less than three minutes, normally much less and haven't personally noticed this. How long are your clips? It may help others to see if they get similar results.
2018-12-28
Use props
Tony0806
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Hi, used it on Xmas day filming family opening pressies etc. So clips in excess of 5+ mins but no more than 15 mins for each. When replaying these via phone, realised straight away that the odd one had this issue where people talked but the audio was a fraction or so of a second out of sync with the movie. Transferred files to pc at the end of the day and it was still there. I’ve since done some tests using selfie mode changing resolutions and frame rates and it happened on one where I’d dropped the frame rate to mid twenties so seems fairly random...it’s a shame as I’d chosen this unit over the go pro hero 7, now I’m wondering if I’ve made the right choice if this continues to ruin the odd clip...it will always be at the back of my mind when I hit record, “is this going to be a audio sync issue or not”....
2018-12-28
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
lvl.4

United Kingdom

It's fairly easy in any decent editing program to resync audio to video. I have to do it on occasion when my microphones are further away from the action than my camera gear when recording live outside performances or using more than one camera to shoot from several angles.  Older computers used to drop frames constantly on long sections of recorded material allowing the audio to drop behind the motion even when adjusted and after correction. I haven't seen it in recent years that often but even broadcasters suffer from it from time to time when using supposed professional gear. It could be that your phone and PC are not using the latest codecs for playback. Have you tried changing the file format to MP4 rather than the default Mov. file system?  
2018-12-28
Use props
Tony0806
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Hi again,

Yes tried both file formats and it does it in both. Never used video editing to correct audio so will look into how I do that and see if I can remedy the issue. If I can do this then I may just keep the unit. However, DJI customer support have been in touch and have given me a telephone number to call but it’s not a working day so no pickup. . Will try them another time to see what we can do. As I’ve never really done any video editing before, I’ve downloaded DaVinci Resolve 15 for free and will see if I can figure out how to realign the audio in the mean time as all I’ve ever used before are the standard windows ones... you can understand that I’m no pro at this so learning as I go...
2018-12-29
Use props
Wiz33
lvl.4
Flight distance : 35994 ft
  • >>>
Hong Kong

Tony0806 Posted at 12-28 10:30
Hi,

Thanks for the advice but unfortunately it’s the same on the pc after I’ve transferred the file from the pocket to the pc. I’m open to any suggestion which could resolve this but thanks anyway...

What res are the videos and what are you using for playback on PC and your PC spec?
2018-12-29
Use props
Tony0806
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Hi,

I've tried this in both 1080p as well as 4k - Now don't laugh at me, but I've only been using the standard windows 10 apps so I've used the "Film & TV" app to play them and I've indulged very slightly using Movie Maker. I downloaded the DiVinci Resolve 15 the other day in order to figure out re-syncing the audio but I've not had a great deal of time to figure this one out yet... Thing is, yesterday I made dummy video's using all of the available resolutions in both basic and pro mode at all the available frame rates and not one of them had this issue!! So for one day, it didn't do this once so I'm totally perplexed...I can guarantee that when I'm with the family for a day out, it'll throw this curve ball at me again... Meh!

2018-12-30
Use props
Tony0806
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Forgot to put my spec's which I think should be more than adequate for what I'm trying to do :-

Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2700K CPU @ 3.50GHz (8 CPUs)
16384MB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 - Display Memory: 10182 MB    Dedicated Memory: 2007 MB

2018-12-30
Use props
Wiz33
lvl.4
Flight distance : 35994 ft
  • >>>
Hong Kong

One other thing I can think of is try another SD card.
2018-12-30
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
lvl.4

United Kingdom

Tony0806 Posted at 12-30 06:17
Forgot to put my spec's which I think should be more than adequate for what I'm trying to do :-

Windows 10 Home 64-bit

That spec should cope as long as you are also using fast hard drives as well. It's best not to have the files residing on your main C:\ drive either but a dedicated drive with a large cache memory and fast access times.  
You've done nothing to laugh at. Files can and do sometimes go out of sync and it is normally the fault of the software reading it or hard drive errors or in the case of everything residing on the same drive, an inability of the hardware shifting all that data around in time to stay in sync.
You could also try defragmenting your hard drives regularly.
You also don't mention your display monitor resolutions.
I would also suggest the best micro SD cards you can obtain such as the SanDisk Extreme V30 U3 A2 cards.  with 160\60MBs read write speeds.
2018-12-30
Use props
Tony0806
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Hi - thanks for the feedback...

Not sure about the hard drive being the issue as we first noticed this problem when we were reviewing the footage when the iphone was hooked up to the Osmo.

The memory card that I bought and have inserted is the SanDisk Extreme 128 GB microSDXC Memory Card with A2 App Performance up to 160 MB/s, Class 10, U3, V30 which I would expect to be able to cut the mustard. I think I shall continue playing and see how often this occurs - as long as I can re-sync the audio easily, it may not be an issue over time...

My monitor resolution is a standard 1080p as I've not got a 4k one just yet but want to watch the footage on the family TV which is a 4k one.

Thanks everso for the assist... I shall continue to persevere and see how it goes...

Appreciated.

2019-1-1
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
lvl.4

United Kingdom

Tony0806 Posted at 1-1 13:33
Hi - thanks for the feedback...

Not sure about the hard drive being the issue as we first noticed this problem when we were reviewing the footage when the iphone was hooked up to the Osmo.

Your SD card is about as good as they get at present and should be good enough. If you are recording at 4k 60fps for more than 6 and a bit minutes then the files get broken into separate takes. One or two others have reported that although the video has no perceptible disruption, that sometimes the audio portion at that point goes out of sync. If so this could be a bug in the Osmo Pocket that needs fixing. I shoot with a DSLR as well for an hour at a time sometimes with no ill effects even though that too splits the files as it records.  The downsides to using my DSLR are it's nowhere near as stable when on the move and weighs a lot more.  Upsides are I can change lenses, zoom, and the output at lower light levels is somewhat better and quicker to focus.  Both have their strengths and weaknesses. I've never seen a camera capable in every aspect of filming and nearly all footage from anything sometimes needs a bit of attention. At least with current technology.
Re-syncing footage is normally just nudging the audio to the frames one frame at a time until they match. Most editors will have a tool that allows you to do this while the clips are playing. That makes the job much easier. Normally done within minutes with a bit of practice. You may have to trim a few frames from the image portion to get them to butt join if that what you want to do and normally it's hardly noticeable to most viewers if they don't know where the join occurs although most people that edit the clips will know and 'see' the slight jitter of the frames as they occur. If its too noticeable then a  crossfade may be preferable.
2019-1-2
Use props
Tony0806
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Thanks for that feedback - I am leaning towards just keeping the unit as I've been unable to contact DJI through their telephone number that they provided and as this is only an intermittent problem which now  hopefully I can correct - God knows how I do this using "DaVinci Resolve 15 (the free version)" unless you can recommend any other free software that may be easier for the novice? I'm only dipping my toes into this area and I am definitely not a pro at film making etc. so do not want to spend a lot of cash on this just yet...

I am really happy with the day time recordings of this unit but low light really does throw a curve-ball which can be a bit disappointing, it's small and easy to carry too so I may just persevere with it and learn how to get around it's "characteristics"...

Appreciated for all the support and info folks...
2019-1-3
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
lvl.4

United Kingdom

Tony0806 Posted at 1-3 04:45
Thanks for that feedback - I am leaning towards just keeping the unit as I've been unable to contact DJI through their telephone number that they provided and as this is only an intermittent problem which now  hopefully I can correct - God knows how I do this using "DaVinci Resolve 15 (the free version)" unless you can recommend any other free software that may be easier for the novice? I'm only dipping my toes into this area and I am definitely not a pro at film making etc. so do not want to spend a lot of cash on this just yet...

I am really happy with the day time recordings of this unit but low light really does throw a curve-ball which can be a bit disappointing, it's small and easy to carry too so I may just persevere with it and learn how to get around it's "characteristics"...

I'm currently using Magix Movie Edit Pro Premium which has all the tools needed for pretty much anything you want to do but any new program will be difficult to begin with.  It's not free, but like the DFS advert, seems to be on constant sale at reduced prices. Vegas which was once Sony's editor is also available at the Magix website. There are tons of editors on the web, most of which do either free versions with limited capabilities but a lot are hard to get into user wise. VSDC Free video editor is quite powerful but a pain to get to grips with. Power Director is not free but easy to get to grips with whereas the editor I use is somewhere between,  not too difficult and more powerful than average. Then there are the editors that come free with Windows or Mac operating systems that do an acceptable job but may not have that many tools.  Have a look at HitFilm products as well. I think they do a free version.
2019-1-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules