Osmo Pocket - is it possible to lock gimbal orientation?
13867 17 2018-12-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
NWmxp2tQ5exZ
lvl.2

United Kingdom

I was trying to use the osmo pocket in the car using a 3D printed mount attached to a gopro mount i have in the car to do a time lapse hoping to get a drive lapse of a short journey i done on the way to work.

When I started driving it all goes well whilst driving in a straight line but when i turn corners or go round a roundabout the gimbal vears off to the left/right depending on the corner. For example if i turn to the right the gimbal goes to the left as if it is wanting to continue filming what is straight ahead in its view. Once the car was back on a straight road the gimbal would catch up and continue filming again what is straight ahead in my view and the cameras view.

Is it possible to fix the orientation of the gimbal and stop it moving when filming?

Maybe this is something they could add in a future update as i think it could produce some really good time lapses when driving.
2018-12-29
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi NWmxp2tQ5exZ, we're sorry for the troubles you had with your Osmo Pocket. However, have you tried enabling Fast Follow>Tilt Locked from the Gimbal Settings menu? You may view and download the User Manual for more detailed information. Hope this helps your query for today and should there be any concerns, don't hesitate to reach us. Thank you.

2018-12-29
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
lvl.4

United Kingdom

If you put the Osmo Pocket into the torch position and have the gimbal in the tilt lock position, the Pocket will keep recentering itself once cornering has finished but there is a slight drift to the opposite direction of movement for a short time until it recenters. Having a fast follow, rather than a slow follow reduces that amount of time although the follow movement is smoother in the slow follow mode.
2018-12-29
Use props
NWmxp2tQ5exZ
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Ray-CubeAce Posted at 12-29 09:33
If you put the Osmo Pocket into the torch position and have the gimbal in the tilt lock position, the Pocket will keep recentering itself once cornering has finished but there is a slight drift to the opposite direction of movement for a short time until it recenters. Having a fast follow, rather than a slow follow reduces that amount of time although the follow movement is smoother in the slow follow mode.

Hi thank you for the replies I will try that out tomorrow. I take it there is no way to completely stop the gimbal movement? I’ll try fast follow and see if that produces better results in the time lapse.
2018-12-29
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
lvl.4

United Kingdom

NWmxp2tQ5exZ Posted at 12-29 10:48
Hi thank you for the replies I will try that out tomorrow. I take it there is no way to completely stop the gimbal movement? I’ll try fast follow and see if that produces better results in the time lapse.

I haven't tried that combo in timelapse mode. Only with recording video. Let us know how it goes.
2018-12-29
Use props
sixthday
lvl.2
United States

Unless you use FOV mode, aany gimbal will be like this.
2018-12-29
Use props
NWmxp2tQ5exZ
lvl.2

United Kingdom

sixthday Posted at 12-29 11:24

It can be done on other gimbals according to this thread about previous models:

https://forum.dji.com/thread-63626-1-1.html
2018-12-29
Use props
NWmxp2tQ5exZ
lvl.2

United Kingdom

NWmxp2tQ5exZ Posted at 12-29 17:28
It can be done on other gimbals according to this thread about previous models:

sorry link didn't work using my mobile:

2018-12-29
Use props
NWmxp2tQ5exZ
lvl.2

United Kingdom

sixthday Posted at 12-29 11:24

FOV mode worked this morning when I tried it. I had it in torch position so had to tilt camera upwards to look out the window. Will need to try it later in upright position on the dashboard.

It was raining on the windscreen so I don’t think the footage will be the best as the wipers will be picked up in the video but at least it worked and I can try again on a dry day.
2018-12-29
Use props
NWmxp2tQ5exZ
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Short example of the driving time lapse I was trying to achieve. Worked out pretty good for night time.

2018-12-30
Use props
h0nzayk
lvl.1
Flight distance : 256096 ft
Czechia

NWmxp2tQ5exZ Posted at 12-30 12:41
Short example of the driving time lapse I was trying to achieve. Worked out pretty good for night time.

https://youtu.be/FzId2l0K3QY

It is god damn too fast. I was wandering to shoot timelapses from car too but the 3s interval is nearly unusable. I ended up shooting normal 30 fps 1080p video snad speeding it up 8 times. The result is much more better and buttery smooth. Not this ultra super speed unwatcheble mess. The problem with video is that you can not shoot at night. It would be awesome to have 1s interval for timelapses.
2018-12-30
Use props
IftiBashir
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

It would be nice to be able to lock the pan motor as well as the tilt, so the gimbal always faces forward irrespective of your movements.
I find the Tilt Lock mode just isn't enough for some scenarios where i am moving in a straight forward fashion......
2018-12-30
Use props
fans0e29c4d5
lvl.3
Flight distance : 79364 ft
  • >>>
United States

“It would be nice to be able to lock the pan motor as well as the tilt, so the gimbal always faces forward irrespective of your movements.
I find the Tilt Lock mode just isn't enough for some scenarios where i am moving in a straight forward fashion......”

FPV mode will do that.
2018-12-30
Use props
NWmxp2tQ5exZ
lvl.2

United Kingdom

IftiBashir Posted at 12-30 14:18
It would be nice to be able to lock the pan motor as well as the tilt, so the gimbal always faces forward irrespective of your movements.
I find the Tilt Lock mode just isn't enough for some scenarios where i am moving in a straight forward fashion......

I ended up using FPV mode to stop the gimbal movement. I tried tilt mode with fast follow like someone said above but that didn’t work.

A 1 second or 0.5 second interval would now make it even better.

You can get 2 second interval if you turn off the saving off the photos and make it just a video.
2018-12-30
Use props
slypikfox
lvl.3
Flight distance : 161322 ft
Australia

The fpv mode is totally useless for me using in a glider as banked at 45 degress turning I would like the horizon flat and the plane banked otherwise I may as well keep using the gopro
.In tilt lock and fast follow the drift makes it very hard to watch
2018-12-31
Use props
karlkrach
New

Germany

is there any update on this?
i want to run the osmo pocket from a tripod and just have it to behave like a normal camera. the closest i've been to this is to manually block the gimble to produce a gimbal error and then press record (which will work) as in this error state all motors are switched off. only, once it displays the error message it will disconnect after a minute also breaking the off the recording.
is there no way to just turn off all motors? do i really need to buy another camera only because of this?!?
k
2020-1-23
Use props
fansfe82067d
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

FPV mode is the nearest to a normal camera.  Movement of the handle will be dampened a bit, but basically the camera head simply follows the handle as if they were in one piece.
2020-1-23
Use props
karlkrach
New

Germany

yes, i tried with fpv and see what you mean, but the motors are still slightly moving - which is too much for my case as i need to do vfx on the shot and really need it to be static. i am aware this use case is somewhat special and not what people buy a gimbal for but …
is there maybe a way to prevent the gimbal disconnecting after one minute when a gimbal error occured? or some other work-around hack i might possibly employ for this case?
2020-1-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules