How could we promote drones as a safe and good idea?
1246 23 2018-12-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Pedro Castelani
lvl.4

Argentina

Every time someone sees me fly my drone in a little, open green space in my neighbourhood, they go like, "Ooooh, it's a drone!" (not out loud), or just stand staring at it, or just walk down the street looking at it, as if they are seeing an UFO, which they don't understand at all. I've been flying for some years and only once or twice did someone really know about them (or at least a bit).
Now, the question is, how do you get those people into trusting the drone, understanding it, and not seeing it as a flying spy craft which only wants to get into their property and film them? How do you make drones appear as a good idea, and get those reports of "Airport closed due to drone", "Helicopter/Plane almost crashed because it hit a drone", "Drone was spying neighbour's window", etc. out of "normal" people's head, showing that those things only happen when UAVs are used wrongly?
Is there some sort of campaign to promote our hobby? Besides the photography guys who sometimes film at events, isn't there another way of showing what we do and that its good?
*Just to tell everyone, I don't currently live in the USA, but in Argentina. Drone regulations aren't too good, and drones are mostly seen as toys or military -grade devices, except for some DJI Phantoms or Mavics.

2018-12-29
Use props
Manxmann
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1178793 ft
Australia

I know what you mean.  Each time I mention drone there's an immediate reaction - and it's seldom complimentary.  What really gets me is;  how many pics are taken on phones & tablets each day --- millions & millions.  That apparently is OK & doesn't infringe anyones rights.  However a drone is a no-no.
It's enough to make you a "closet droner" !!
2018-12-30
Use props
solentlife
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
Latvia

Our Club has a number of various Multi-Rotors .... note the use of the term Multi-Rotor.

In conversations with 'ordinary' people - we have noticed that use the word Drone ... you get a larger % negative reaction. But use the term Multi-Rotor even in the same conversation and we have noted even people saying ... "oh they are ok ... its the drones we don't like".

We do all we can at fete's ... shows ... displays to introduce people to our Multi-Rotors ... we fly them and demo what they can do. We have even set up a tent with displays to stream live video they can watch.

We no longer do the 'tent' thing as its very involved - but the effect was dramatic. The best overall though - was the setting up of an area with static Multi-Rotors so the people could actually get close and see what they are. Plus flying in responsible manner ... aerobatic MR's as well as toy grade .. DJI and others.

Its all down to making the effort to get involved and educate. If anyone thinks a lone flyer in the park trying to 'educate' public is the way ... forget it. You may convince 1 or 2 ... but the other 5 or 6 people staying back will never change their attitude.

The stupid act of 1 'drone' flyer will destroy all the good 100 other flyers do.

Its a bit like the perception of the BMW owner .... for some reason a few Beamer owners think they are Schumacher / own the road ... so the majority of good owners are tarred with that brush. Odd Beamer owners will try talk to odd people to convince they are not the crazies people think. But only when a Beamer Club gets together and 'educates' does it make any difference ... then another idiot does his thing !! (Me ? I drive Volvo ... no way I will have the stamp of Beamer on my back !!)

Nigel
2018-12-30
Use props
Pedro Castelani
lvl.4

Argentina

A way of making people confident in them would be letting them fly the Multi Rotor themselves. The only problem is that I certainly would not do it with a drone that cost me a serious amount of money . I might lend them a small trainer drone I have, but its battery puffed up and had to throw it away (the battery, not the multi rotor). Now I'm still waiting to buy a new one. Really like that drone, was my first one. If I could learn with it and make my family confident in R/C, I suppose it could do the same with others
2018-12-31
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Fly safe and respectfully.

RedHotPoker
2018-12-31
Use props
KennyB
lvl.4
Flight distance : 674137 ft
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 12-31 07:20
Fly safe and respectfully.

I was going to say the same thing Red. This will go the furthest in changing people's perception. Fly safely, follow the rules and don't be a jerk...even if the person coming up to you is.
2018-12-31
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

KennyB Posted at 12-31 08:03
I was going to say the same thing Red. This will go the furthest in changing people's perception. Fly safely, follow the rules and don't be a jerk...even if the person coming up to you is.

Gotta do what’s right...

RedHotPoker
2018-12-31
Use props
solentlife
Second Officer
Latvia

KennyB Posted at 12-31 08:03

The statement is a true one - but so far has had no effect ...

No matter how many times we say it - Fly safe - Fly responsibly ..... the public will just go on as they do.

it takes effort and actual demonstration of the equipment. We do that in our displays - and i suggest it has far greater effect than all the cries of Fly Safe will ever do.

It boils down to simple fact : Most peoples beliefs / perceptions particularly of such as these models, are born of the unknown or what they think is the situation. Not from real life experience. Until they get to see real structured demonstration, they really have no idea.
Even the lone guy in the park who tries to inform interested persons struggles to get through this haze public has.

Sorry but without concerted effort that is more than just saying Fly safe - the situation will never change.

Nigel
2018-12-31
Use props
embayweather
lvl.4
Flight distance : 556667 ft
United Kingdom

An excellent thought. One things i believe is certain it is only the drone/multirotor community that will make the change, the press certainly will not. I always make sue I have some FPV goggles with me when I fly, so if anyone wishes to see what I am up to they can.
But it correct that such actions will not reverse the tide, maybe slow it a little. As a community we need to show, at every opportunity. Sadly we still see applause for dangerous or illegal flying in forums where the pilot has clearly breached safety considerations at the very least let alone VLOS rules. We also see comments asking how to break the EU limit on flight distance for example, and leave the answers without though that they are condoning illegal activity. So as everyone knows it is not the rogue pilot who will suffer it is the conscientious one.
Perhaps there may be a single location, perhaps even within this forum, that simply is devoted to the good things about drone/multirotor flying. Everyone could benefit, even DJI.
2019-1-1
Use props
solentlife
Second Officer
Latvia

Being human ... there will always be those who think they can do what they want .. that mistakes will never happen.

It is those that will create the issues that all will have to face. Only with a lot of effort and disciplined demonstartions such as we did with out club stand any chance of affecting public opinion.

But it only needs one stupid act to be blown up out of proportion by media to destroy all that good work.

I am a serious advocate of losing the term DRONE. For the reasons I set out earlier. If we use the correct term Multi Rotor - the reception I have seen and we had in the club shows was far better than if we used the term Drone.

The term Drone conjures up images of Reapers firing of Brimstone missiles etc. something we must get away from.

This year I am planning to continue discussions in our Town Council about RC events and also to see if we can set up an area for FPV racing etc. Unfortunately the FPV racing boys have chosen the term Drone racing ... so that will have to worked around. The intention is to have spectator involvement and to show the 'good side' of the hobby.
Our show in 2018 at the Airport Open Day was very well received.

Nigel
2019-1-1
Use props
Pedro Castelani
lvl.4

Argentina

People apparently don't understand that drones, besides having a practical use (such as surveillance, inspection, delivery, etc.), may be used to capture beauty. Shooting pictures of a city at ground level is something, taking them from a flying platform, on the other hand, merges height with perspective, and gives you a totally different result. What embayweather said about always taking the FPV glasses is a great idea, since letting them control the drone would be quite hard (and even expensive). It would, however, be much better if there were a way of flying any drone with two controllers, such as those used by r/c plane trainers. One thing is to see another person flying a drone, another thing is to feel as if you were piloting it yourself.
2019-1-1
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

You can’t help what others do, or say.
Only be the very best representative of the sport and hobby or aerial photography business,  as you can.

Don’t bring shame to the community, or the forum. ;-)

RedHotPoker
2019-1-1
Use props
solentlife
Second Officer
Latvia

Pedro Castelani Posted at 1-1 11:47
People apparently don't understand that drones, besides having a practical use (such as surveillance, inspection, delivery, etc.), may be used to capture beauty. Shooting pictures of a city at ground level is something, taking them from a flying platform, on the other hand, merges height with perspective, and gives you a totally different result. What embayweather said about always taking the FPV glasses is a great idea, since letting them control the drone would be quite hard (and even expensive). It would, however, be much better if there were a way of flying any drone with two controllers, such as those used by r/c plane trainers. One thing is to see another person flying a drone, another thing is to feel as if you were piloting it yourself.

There already is a system that you can have multiple AC controlled by one RC (yes it includes DJI gear) and that company ... Latvian ... has a system where Buddy Controller can be connected ... giving similar dual controller for one AC.

The systems are operable - but I have no idea on price and availability. The guys who developed the systems are members of the LARPAS group as I.

Nigel
2019-1-1
Use props
Cradoka
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2530794 ft
Australia

When folk see me using the 'drone' I inform them that I'm using a 'multi rotor camera platform' .
I think that in the long run we are unable to change the taint from all the fear generated from military equipment.
...Much the same as trying to change the image of useful nuclear power from the mania of nuclear weapons.. it's just not going to happen!
No need to stop trying tho'.
2019-1-1
Use props
Alvaro L
lvl.3
Flight distance : 8832 ft
Spain

They will promote by themselves as soon as news start to appear in the opposite direction, which I think is a matter of time.
2019-1-4
Use props
solentlife
Second Officer
Latvia

Nice and Good News unless spectacular is not news worthy as far as media is concerned.

Nigel
2019-1-4
Use props
Edward J Smith
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1852408 ft
  • >>>
United States

I find it interesting that all the posts were by members that are lvl 3 or above. Does that mean anything? Are we not getting the word out to newer operators? Just a thought.
2019-1-10
Use props
Pedro Castelani
lvl.4

Argentina

It depends on when we started using the forum. I started flying a few years ago, but entered the forum in 2018. Furthermore, not everyone enters every single day, makes posts all the time, and answers every message.
2019-1-22
Use props
Pedro Castelani
lvl.4

Argentina

What really bothers me, however, is that people around me can only find extremely cheap drones in small toy stores or DJI tech in official stores. I rarely see a good RC or drone shop which sells a multitude of different level drones, from beginner to advanced.
2019-1-22
Use props
solentlife
Second Officer
Latvia

Edward J Smith Posted at 1-10 11:18
I find it interesting that all the posts were by members that are lvl 3 or above. Does that mean anything? Are we not getting the word out to newer operators? Just a thought.

A campaign was tried by us in Latvia ... distributing UAV guideline brochures via the shops ... and only DJI guys took us up on it. (We means LARPAS).

If forums and guidelines could be in the box - that would be great ... but with product sold worldwide - how ?

We tried to get retailers on side - but 1. too many toy drone sellers ... 2. they just were not interested ..

A few said - give us a bunch of brochures and we'll place on the cash desk for people to take if they want.

If DJI was to promote their own Forum strongly in the box they send out ... maybe a few more members would appear. But think about how YOU came here ...

I came here because I have been a long term member of many RC forums and when I got my DJI - wanted a forum dedicated to it. But I knew such existed. Most people do not.

Nigel
2019-1-22
Use props
Anthony8858
lvl.4
Flight distance : 9711 ft
United States

Like anything else.. It's an abuse of power.

The power to compromise one's privacy.
The power to rise above the crowd
The power to endanger the safety of others from a distance
The power to let the mischievous side come out without the ramifications.

Respect the AC
Respect the people around you and their safety
Know the drone limitations .
What I'm trying to say is that some people make it hard for others
2019-1-23
Use props
DanbyUrgess
lvl.4
United States

I agree, one bad apple can spoil the box. That's unfortunate but true. I also agree that the word drone has more of a negative connotation/vibe, so I always try to say aerial or bird's eye camera. As to the question, what else can be done to enhance the image? Find and share examples of cams be used for good, like proper rescues etc. Put the videos on You-tube, embed them in your websites, FB pages etc. Denounce illegal/improper use publicly  wherever possible.
2019-1-23
Use props
VANR
New
United States

i think like anything people have a fear of the unknown, and as drone pilots we need to teach them that this is a good thing, and not bad as they have been lead to believe so maybe we start with were we live and tell the public we will have a demo on the drone and this should include all drone pilots in the area. then maybe we can take the unknown out of the public and show then the good behind a drone and the pilots who fly them.
2019-1-23
Use props
solentlife
Second Officer
Latvia

VANR Posted at 1-23 10:13
i think like anything people have a fear of the unknown, and as drone pilots we need to teach them that this is a good thing, and not bad as they have been lead to believe so maybe we start with were we live and tell the public we will have a demo on the drone and this should include all drone pilots in the area. then maybe we can take the unknown out of the public and show then the good behind a drone and the pilots who fly them.

That's all good ... but let me suggest ...

LOSE the name Drone .....

When we demo'd Multi-Rotors at our shows - the public were 'friendly' to Multi-Rotors but you could detect an immediate anti'ness when name Drone was used.

I am sorry if I upset some on this - but I honestly think our community has done itself no favours by adopting the name DRONE. Why the ORIGINAL name Multi-Rotor was passed over I can only think is because word Drone is short and some may have thought it clever to have a controversial name.

DRONE name is part of the problem ...

Nigel
2019-1-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules