Seeking advice to popularize YouTube Channel.
1505 19 2018-12-31
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
inetflash
lvl.4
Netherlands

Dear community,

I made a YouTube Channel and i seek advice how to get more views and subscribers! I do my best to publish cinematic style drone footage every week and i hope the quality is good enough. I am gone through all the social "crap" in order to popularize my channel! Hereby i'm looking for some advice from some "experienced" youtuber who have decent (5000 or more) subscriber base. THANKS!

With regards,
Gabor Lonyai
https://youtube.com/c/gaborlonyai
lonyaigabor@gmail.com
2018-12-31
Use props
Bing Err
Captain
Flight distance : 9249964 ft
  • >>>
United States

I don't have that many subs, but it seems like the people who do are ALWAYS traveling (like literally living in a van and driving to amazing places and/or have drop dead beautiful girlfriends that regularly run around in their underwear) OR... go for the gear review and technical side of things and constantly review new products and accesories for drones. Make comparison videos and be the first to buy new product and review it. I'll hit up your channel after work and give you a like and sub. hit me back if you want at http://www.youtube.com/c/bingerr
2018-12-31
Use props
Bing Err
Captain
  • >>>
United States

You could ask the user KlooGee for advice. I think he tries to go after the new tech and review side. He's done some great reviews and has lots of subs. I've also seen his links pop up on my facebook as promotional posts so there's a good chance he's paying for placement, but you'd have to ask him to be sure. But even aside from that, his channel is great and it shows that he puts a TON of work into it. Here's his link I think. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMaYt8kdIR5U3ZwWiZJ6WnA
2018-12-31
Use props
Bing Err
Captain
  • >>>
United States

PS (I know I should have put this all together in one post but that's not how my brain works.)
As soon as I had 100 subs I made a custom URL and made business cards with the web link on it. I carry them whenever I'm flying and if anyone ever approaches me and asks questions about my drone I hand them the card and tell them to visit in a day to see the video and subscribe if it interests them. I think I got 500 cards for $9.99
2018-12-31
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Honestly, I really don't know how to get popular with 'just' drone video's.
There is not a huge demand for this kind of footage.

I have 5 channels going on youtube, but dropped 3 after the stupid 1000 subs rule from youtube since I won't get anywhere near 1000 subs on those.
My main channel has 2 hit video's that keep it popular, but only 2 out of the 250 or so video's really got attention.
1 video I suspected to get popular (I show how to connect my Samsung Tab 10.1 to a monitor. Super stupid, but rather popular with 2mln views or so).
1 other video got viral and I unfortunately don't know why. It got 11mln+ views now and 24K subscribers.
I really don't know what happened with that one, because it is nothing better than the other 250 video's.

My second channel I will keep alive is my trains and trucks channel (you know that one). I believe that has very good content, but still it struggles to get enough subscribers. (still 'only' 880 or so)

If you look at popular channels on yt, they usually don't have content I want to be creating.
Or I don't have what it takes to make this content.
Music video's, re sharing content video's, tech reviews, cats, traffic video's, accidents, military, toys, fashion etc. etc.
Nothing spectacular or what I want to be making.
So I gave up trying to be popular on yt.
I don't have a production team that will help me make super smooth video's and become popular
I don't have a VLOG personality.
I don't want to steal other's content
I just want to make beautiful stuff and show that to the rest of the world.

So my advice is : just do what you like but don't worry about views / subs.
There is so so so so many content being added every minute. You won't stand out.
Even the best film makers I have seen here on the forum 'only' get 1.000 - 10.000 views per video.
Popularity on Youtube is not the same as making good content.
It is just about getting picked up by the youtube algorithm.

I have seen that happen with one of my video's. No real reason why it went viral.
But it did.

You can try to scream for attention, but at the end of the day it won't bring you any satisfaction or real money.

Just my experience after 12 years of Youtube
2018-12-31
Use props
inetflash
lvl.4
Netherlands

Montfrooij Posted at 12-31 01:54
Honestly, I really don't know how to get popular with 'just' drone video's.
There is not a huge demand for this kind of footage.

Thank you for the fast reaction! I don't really want to go into the review side of this but i going to do one about using the dji spark as a handheld camera and how long you can record footage without flying! I plan a lot of travel inside The Netherlands and i going to do a Series "Dutch cities from above" where i going to publish cinematic drone footage, i going to film in a new city every week!
2018-12-31
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi Inetflash, we do appreciate your interest in our products. I'm sure you can get the best recommendation here with our co-pilots. I hope you can get the effective technique on how to get more views on your DJI footage. Good luck and always have a safe flight!
2018-12-31
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

inetflash Posted at 12-31 04:29
Thank you for the fast reaction! I don't really want to go into the review side of this but i going to do one about using the dji spark as a handheld camera and how long you can record footage without flying! I plan a lot of travel inside The Netherlands and i going to do a Series "Dutch cities from above" where i going to publish cinematic drone footage, i going to film in a new city every week!

Nah, I tried it. But not for me....
(review stuff).

Make sure you fly by the rules (of course....)
No need for more cowboys flying around here.....
2018-12-31
Use props
inetflash
lvl.4
Netherlands

Montfrooij Posted at 12-31 13:18
Nah, I tried it. But not for me....
(review stuff).

Hi,

First of all i fly by not just the rules but with keen eye on privacy, you shouldn't be worried about me!

I can ensure you i use my drone only for entertainment purposes what you can see on my youtube channel.

Wish happy new year to everyone!
2018-12-31
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

inetflash Posted at 12-31 13:30
Hi,

First of all i fly by not just the rules but with keen eye on privacy, you shouldn't be worried about me!

Good to hear!
I try to fly by the rules as much as possible.
Sometimes I might fly too close to a road or something, but only the smaller ones (60km etc.)
Privacy is very important for me too. That is why I don't fly away too far from me so people can also see me as a pilot and ask me what I'm doing (or ask me to go away )
I, unfortunately, also see a lot of Dutch pilots making some other choices...
Flying at night, over congested area's etc. etc.
Ruining it effectively for 'us'.....
2018-12-31
Use props
inetflash
lvl.4
Netherlands

Montfrooij Posted at 12-31 13:34
Good to hear!
I try to fly by the rules as much as possible.
Sometimes I might fly too close to a road or something, but only the smaller ones (60km etc.)

For the record i going to fly tonight but from my roof so there is no way anyone can be injured or so.

With this Gatwick "crap" on our shoulder as a community we should be more cautious when we fly or at least try to fly with caution!

Here in the Netherlands we can fly pretty much everywhere and that is a good thing but on the other hand this is luring stupid "pilots" to do stupid things but i hope won't happen a second "Gatwick" scandal at Schiphol.

That would do serious damage to the already strictly ruled drone community!

In my opinion drone is for entertainment and filming or do some amazing memories with your family.

As a civilian we all must respect our civil right for privacy!

Thanks.
2018-12-31
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

inetflash Posted at 12-31 13:47
For the record i going to fly tonight but from my roof so there is no way anyone can be injured or so.

With this Gatwick "crap" on our shoulder as a community we should be more cautious when we fly or at least try to fly with caution!

Everybody is responsible for their own acts right.
I believe you should not fly at night, but hope you don't fly into something and cause too much damage since most liability insurances only cover when flying legally.
Wish you a lot of safe flights in 2019!
2018-12-31
Use props
Bing Err
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Hey inetflash, I had a chance you review your channel today and I have a few words of constructive criticism (but keep in mind I'm no expert). I DO think your videos are shot very nicely, with smooth camera movement and plain but effective editing. However, some of the subject matter is a little boring. A windmill, an office building, a city. Althought this may be interesting to a select few viewers, most youtube users will watch 30 seconds or less before scrolling to a new video. I know this because some of my videos are exactly the same and lack a "Story" and personal elements that would make someone subscribe to your/my channel. Your videos I watched today are relatvely short and have a very limited subject. I think a narrator and interesting subject would greatly improve you videos. Also, edit with a purpose and eliminate similar shots. Try to find the shortest/most creative way I to edit all your footage together without repeating shots. Not sure if any of this is helpful, I hope it is, and you don't take it too negatively. We all started somewhere. Your channel is much better than mine when I first started it, so just keep it up and try to challenge yourself.
2018-12-31
Use props
inetflash
lvl.4
Netherlands

Bing Err Posted at 2018-12-31 17:46
Hey inetflash, I had a chance you review your channel today and I have a few words of constructive criticism (but keep in mind I'm no expert). I DO think your videos are shot very nicely, with smooth camera movement and plain but effective editing. However, some of the subject matter is a little boring. A windmill, an office building, a city. Althought this may be interesting to a select few viewers, most youtube users will watch 30 seconds or less before scrolling to a new video. I know this because some of my videos are exactly the same and lack a "Story" and personal elements that would make someone subscribe to your/my channel. Your videos I watched today are relatvely short and have a very limited subject. I think a narrator and interesting subject would greatly improve you videos. Also, edit with a purpose and eliminate similar shots. Try to find the shortest/most creative way I to edit all your footage together without repeating shots. Not sure if any of this is helpful, I hope it is, and you don't take it too negatively. We all started somewhere. Your channel is much better than mine when I first started it, so just keep it up and try to challenge yourself.

Dear Bing Err,

Thank you for your constructive criticism. I am on the same page on this that my footage need "Story" and we (me and my wife) going to travel a lot this year in The Netherlands and maybe we go to Belgium to shot some awesomely beautiful places.

We also plan that my footage going to have "Subject"

We think 3 elements are the most important. Travel, Story, Subject

I wish you a very happy and productive new year!
2019-1-1
Use props
inetflash
lvl.4
Netherlands

Bing Err Posted at 2018-12-31 17:46

P.S.

I going to do a Review very very soon about the DJI Spark used as a Handheld camera. It's going to be somewhat different than other reviews and you going to see why.

I have lot of creative ideas in mind. Lot of people think that the DJI Spark is only for flying and i have to say that with the Spark you not only have a Drone but a very very good Handheld camera too!

I got my Spark very very very discounted price so that's another reason why i love to work with my "Sparky"
2019-1-1
Use props
Bing Err
Captain
  • >>>
United States

inetflash Posted at 1-1 01:16
P.S.

I going to do a Review very very soon about the DJI Spark used as a Handheld camera. It's going to be somewhat different than other reviews and you going to see why.

That's a great idea to do with the Spark since lots of people have it and it's not a heavily saturated topic. I also look forward to the videos featuring you and your wife. Characters in your story is essential. Good luck!
2019-1-1
Use props
Bing Err
Captain
  • >>>
United States

BTW, here's a link to a similar thread I made well over a year ago when my channel had less than 100 subs, and Montfrooij was giving advice back then too.
https://forum.dji.com/thread-114054-1-1.html
2019-1-1
Use props
inetflash
lvl.4
Netherlands

Bing Err Posted at 1-1 01:23
That's a great idea to do with the Spark since lots of people have it and it's not a heavily saturated topic. I also look forward to the videos featuring you and your wife. Characters in your story is essential. Good luck!

Bing Err,

Can you send me an E-Mail about some of instant messaging? FB, WhatsApp or anything what is more instant? thanks -> lonyaigabor@gmail.com (hangouts also works)
2019-1-1
Use props
inetflash
lvl.4
Netherlands

Bing Err Posted at 1-1 01:26
BTW, here's a link to a similar thread I made well over a year ago when my channel had less than 100 subs, and Montfrooij was giving advice back then too.
https://forum.dji.com/thread-114054-1-1.html

I have a very good feeling about this year!
2019-1-1
Use props
inetflash
lvl.4
Netherlands

inetflash Posted at 1-1 01:29
I have a very good feeling about this year!

For some reason this video have lot of views compared to any other video!

And i know why, making a footage with Tello this steady what i did is very hard, and i achieved some very great shots with a drone which doesn't have any optical image stabilization.

So i guess my upcoming review going to be interesting.
2019-1-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules