Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Osmo Pocket Mounted to my motorcycle helmet|Bench Test
6609 18 2018-12-31
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
BIGDZ
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10255860 ft
  • >>>
United States

Im sure the mods wont approve but for any of you MC riders who may be interested in mounting your osmo pocket to your helmet. This is just a bench test, and I have tested the OP out of my car window at highway speeds and it seems to hold up well; footage was amazing, too.
Actual test ride coming soon!
Updated: footage

2018-12-31
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi BIGDZ, thank you for sharing your positive feedback. It is one way of creatively maximizing the usage of the product. However, please bear in mind that this haven’t been tested to use in this way and not recommended as it may block your line of sight while driving. Thanks for your support and understanding. Happy new year!
2018-12-31
Use props
jacksonnai
Captain
Malaysia

Cool! Thanks for sharing!
2019-1-1
Use props
BIGDZ
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

DJI Paladin Posted at 2018-12-31 18:43
Hi BIGDZ, thank you for sharing your positive feedback. It is one way of creatively maximizing the usage of the product. However, please bear in mind that this haven’t been tested to use in this way and not recommended as it may block your line of sight while driving. Thanks for your support and understanding. Happy new year!

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, believe me, it’s doesn’t block my view. Just below visor. So I’m able to clearly see the road on all sides... plan to test on empty road.
2019-1-1
Use props
BIGDZ
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

DJI Paladin Posted at 2018-12-31 18:43
Hi BIGDZ, thank you for sharing your positive feedback. It is one way of creatively maximizing the usage of the product. However, please bear in mind that this haven’t been tested to use in this way and not recommended as it may block your line of sight while driving. Thanks for your support and understanding. Happy new year!

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, believe me, it’s doesn’t block my view. Just below visor. So I’m able to clearly see the road on all sides... plan to test on empty road.
2019-1-1
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Looks nice.
Now for the real test
2019-1-1
Use props
BIGDZ
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Montfrooij Posted at 1-1 13:07
Looks nice.
Now for the real test

Tested today, it worked amazingly well. no jumping, no jello...etc. One thing I wish was the FOV to be wider than what it is. I'lI get the footage up asap.
2019-1-1
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

BIGDZ Posted at 1-1 20:31
Tested today, it worked amazingly well. no jumping, no jello...etc. One thing I wish was the FOV to be wider than what it is. I'lI get the footage up asap.

Good to hear.
I'll be waiting
2019-1-1
Use props
DJI Panda
Administrator
Flight distance : 405039 ft
  • >>>
Hong Kong

Hahaha, interesting test. Looking forward to it. ;-)
2019-1-2
Use props
WebParrot
Second Officer
Flight distance : 23625 ft
  • >>>
United States

Looks interesting.  I'll be interested to see if there is any wind-effect on the gimbal (although that wind screen may mitigate and effect).  
2019-1-3
Use props
BIGDZ
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Montfrooij Posted at 1-1 23:20
Good to hear.
I'll be waiting

Well here is a short rendition of a test ride I did without the shield to protect the gimbal from winds. Although, I didn’t test it on the highway. I managed to reach  speeds up to 65 MPs on one of the empty service streets.

2019-1-3
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

BIGDZ Posted at 1-1 06:56
Thanks for sharing your thoughts, believe me, it’s doesn’t block my view. Just below visor. So I’m able to clearly see the road on all sides... plan to test on empty road.

You're welcome. If you need any help, please don't hesitate to contact us. Thanks for choosing DJI!
2019-1-3
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

BIGDZ Posted at 1-3 08:01
Well here is a short rendition of a test ride I did without the shield to protect the gimbal from winds. Although, I didn’t test it on the highway. I managed to reach  speeds up to 65 MPs on one of the empty service streets.

Osmo Pocket

Nice to see!
Thanks for the reply!
2019-1-3
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

BIGDZ Posted at 1-3 08:01
Well here is a short rendition of a test ride I did without the shield to protect the gimbal from winds. Although, I didn’t test it on the highway. I managed to reach  speeds up to 65 MPs on one of the empty service streets.

Osmo Pocket

One thing I noticed, is that the placement on the helmet makes for the image to swing with your head.
I'm not sure if you can, but maybe placement on the chest would give an even more smooth ride. (it looks like your bike is suitable for that as you are sitting rather straight)
2019-1-3
Use props
BIGDZ
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Montfrooij Posted at 1-3 11:08
One thing I noticed, is that the placement on the helmet makes for the image to swing with your head.
I'm not sure if you can, but maybe placement on the chest would give an even more smooth ride. (it looks like your bike is suitable for that as you are sitting rather straight)

Yes, I’m sure there is a go pro attachment that would work with this set up.
2019-1-3
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

BIGDZ Posted at 1-3 18:39
Yes, I’m sure there is a go pro attachment that would work with this set up.

I am used to attach my phone to the wind screen of the car, which gives super smooth hyperlapses, so at first I was like 'huh' before I realized your head is moving (of course)
2019-1-3
Use props
DJI Panda
Administrator
Flight distance : 405039 ft
  • >>>
Hong Kong

Nice video!
2019-1-7
Use props
CharlieZ
lvl.4
Flight distance : 623432 ft
United States

Cool, thanks for sharing!
2019-1-11
Use props
djiuser_lusXBzswAAWG
New

United States

I also tried mounting the dji pocket 2 to a sport bike. Mounting worked with some parts from a competitor, but sport suspension was just too jarring. I then tried the helmet approach and that seemed to work for a bit BUT when you approached speeds 60mph+, the gimbal seemed to deactivate and go limp. Under maybe 45mph, sure all day. Not sure what’s happening above 60mph. Going to try it with my car window down / video recording and see what happens when the wind hits it. Maybe the gimbal motor inside can’t handle the wind speed. Too bad…
2022-8-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules