Scared of flying at night / in the fog ? - read this
12Next >
3108 49 2019-1-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
TC KABREW
lvl.3

Austria

If you are worried about loosing your drone when you fly at night / in the fog, don't worry i was, but i took the risk, it was hard at first but i got used to it.

here are some tips and tricks

start by flying from 100% battery down to 60% so it won't drop out of sight,
try to move slowly,
stay in GPS mode,
try to stay in sight with the drone,
auto land and auto take off as much as possible.

thankyou and happy flying.

Single SelectVote, Total 15 people participate in voting

Voting has ended

20.00% (3)
60.00% (9)
20.00% (3)
Your user group with no voting privileges
2019-1-1
Use props
Alex B.
Second Officer
Flight distance : 21105262 ft

Spain

I fly at night without any issues, it’s legal here also.
In the fog that’s a completely different thing! I won’t even try it, I have seen videos of the drones going sky high and then not descending in the fog. So I’m not gonna take any chances there.

Flysafely
Alex
2019-1-1
Use props
TC KABREW
lvl.3

Austria

Alex B. Posted at 1-1 14:41
I fly at night without any issues, it’s legal here also.
In the fog that’s a completely different thing! I won’t even try it, I have seen videos of the drones going sky high and then not descending in the fog. So I’m not gonna take any chances there.

ok it's just once i was playing around with a drone in the alps and had to fly for 4 mins in the fog to get back to the take off spot.
fly safe
2019-1-1
Use props
Alex B.
Second Officer

Spain

TC KABREW Posted at 1-1 14:45
ok it's just once i was playing around with a drone in the alps and had to fly for 4 mins in the fog to get back to the take off spot.
fly safe

I think it’s ok to fly with the mavic pro in the fog as you can turn off the bottom sensors.
Those bottom sensors can’t be turned off on the spark and the mavic air however, so I won’t fly with my spark in the fog for sure. Maybe with my mavic pro.

Flysafely
Alex
2019-1-1
Use props
TC KABREW
lvl.3

Austria

Alex B. Posted at 1-1 14:55
I think it’s ok to fly with the mavic pro in the fog as you can turn off the bottom sensors.
Those bottom sensors can’t be turned off on the spark and the mavic air however, so I won’t fly with my spark in the fog for sure. Maybe with my mavic pro.

im not sure if the sensors were off or not but it was my friends mavic pro.
2019-1-1
Use props
TC KABREW
lvl.3

Austria

Alex B. Posted at 1-1 14:55
Those bottom sensors can’t be turned off on the spark and the mavic air however, so I won’t fly with my spark in the fog for sure. Maybe with my mavic pro.

and do you think you will be upgrading to the mavic 2 pro / zoom
2019-1-1
Use props
Alex B.
Second Officer

Spain

Yes I will. I’m just waiting until someone makes the FCC switch and maybe the boost 1.5 watt will also be done later on the mavic 2. But with FCC I’m happy already
I’m going for the mavic 2 zoom, I think it’s better apart from night/low light filming, in that aspect the mavic 2 pro wins hands down.
But I film mostly during the day. And I like the zoom feature A LOT

Flysafely
Alex
2019-1-1
Use props
TC KABREW
lvl.3

Austria

Alex B. Posted at 1-1 15:05
Yes I will. I’m just waiting until someone makes the FCC switch and maybe the boost 1.5 watt will also be done later on the mavic 2. But with FCC I’m happy already
I’m going for the mavic 2 zoom, I think it’s better apart from night/low light filming, in that aspect the mavic 2 pro wins hands down.
But I film mostly during the day. And I like the zoom feature A LOT

and one more thing, do you keep it in 4k or down res to 1080
2019-1-1
Use props
Alex B.
Second Officer

Spain

TC KABREW Posted at 1-1 15:09
and one more thing, do you keep it in 4k or down res to 1080

I film in 2.7k, because at that resolution I can zoom in. In 4K you can’t zoom in.
When I know that I’ll be filming without zooming, then I film in 4K.

Fly safely
Alex
2019-1-1
Use props
TC KABREW
lvl.3

Austria

Alex B. Posted at 1-1 16:27
I film in 2.7k, because at that resolution I can zoom in. In 4K you can’t zoom in.

ok thank you for helping me learn a bit more.

fly safe
2019-1-1
Use props
Alex B.
Second Officer

Spain

TC KABREW Posted at 1-1 16:29
ok thank you for helping me learn a bit more.

fly safe

You are welcome

Flysafely and enjoy
Alex
2019-1-1
Use props
FlySD
lvl.4
United States

Is fog considered a cloud?  USA FAA rule is 500 ft below clouds.
2019-1-2
Use props
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

FlySD Posted at 1-2 10:02
Is fog considered a cloud?  USA FCC rule is 500 ft below clouds.

FCC ?    you mean FAA and FAA only suggest 400 feet AGL as a rule
2019-1-2
Use props
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

if you wish to fly in the fog, disable downfiring vision system (vision positioning system)  i flown in fog many times, and if your drone doesn't have Ultrasonic Sensors + Cameras, but instead uses IR + Cameras it may randomly get confused by the fog and start to auto land because it thinks the ground is right under it.     

i suggest.

1. disable vision positioning system sensors.. fog will trick positioning system and could trigger auto landings, it will also lose track of its height real height if the fog is dense enough.

2. wait for full GPS lock before taking off, this will massively kep keep stability.  

3.  knowing your terrain first, know what high you need to be at to clear trees/homes/obstacles and fly up to that height and dont fly in sport mode stay in position-GPS mode (GPS or P-GPS).

4. use the Minimap if you your getting lost in the fog.

5. do not use RTH or limited RTH use..  better you manually fly it back and land it because you have better control over where it lands or doesn't land..  a full GPS lock may still be off several feet.. without vision system helping it..

6. pay attention to errors, do not initiated RTH if any redundancy failure or exception errors... fly back asap or land it safely (if possible) and go pick it up.. fog/clouds are just suspended moisture condensing in the air, and unlike some rain, the moisture is very small and can easily get sucked into via the cooling fan internally and blown across the internal systems, while unlikely to cause issues, be aware it can it is moisture while shouldn't stick to / condense to those warmer parts, still other parts internal may not be as warm and could condense..
2019-1-2
Use props
FlySD
lvl.4
United States

HereForTheBeer Posted at 1-2 10:34
FCC ?    you mean FAA and FAA only suggest 400 feet AGL as a rule

I don't believe it is a suggestion and I was not talking about AGL.  I was talking about Cloud Cover, the rules is 500 ft BELOW the lowest clouds in the area as well as 2k ft horizontally.

The question was, does the FAA consider Fog a cloud.
2019-1-2
Use props
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

FlySD Posted at 1-2 11:04
I don't believe it is a suggestion and I was not talking about AGL.  I was talking about Cloud Cover, the rules is 500 ft BELOW the lowest clouds in the area as well as 2k ft horizontally.

where does it even say this in the FAA guidelines?
https://www.faa.gov/uas/getting_started/
FAA.png
2019-1-2
Use props
HH1
Second Officer
Flight distance : 73114 ft
United States

I wonder?  Since those batteries are sensitive to moisture, if the Fog would cause any concern?
2019-1-2
Use props
TC KABREW
lvl.3

Austria

fog is not a cloud
2019-1-2
Use props
FlySD
lvl.4
United States

HereForTheBeer Posted at 1-2 11:08

2019-1-2
Use props
HH1
Second Officer
United States

Alex B. Posted at 1-1 16:27

Thanks for the recommendation of 2.7k, I have not played around with doing a semi-serious filming yet, still learning the basics.
2019-1-2
Use props
TC KABREW
lvl.3

Austria

FlySD Posted at 1-2 11:04

it wouldn't make sense if fog was counted as a cloud because you can somewhat predict a cloud but you can't predict fog.
2019-1-2
Use props
HH1
Second Officer
United States

Yes, fog is low clouds - and are made up of moisture I forget if they are Low/High barometric pressure,, perhaps (Low).
2019-1-2
Use props
FlySD
lvl.4
United States

Even if they might not be classified as a cloud, as soon as you lose sight of your drone, you are doing it wrong.  

2019-1-2
Use props
TC KABREW
lvl.3

Austria

HH1 Posted at 1-2 11:14
I wonder?  Since those batteries are sensitive to moisture, if the Fog would cause any concern?

wouldn't it depend on how long you were in the fog for or/and how moist the air is where you are
2019-1-2
Use props
FlySD
lvl.4
United States

TC KABREW Posted at 1-2 11:18
it wouldn't make sense if fog was counted as a cloud because you can somewhat predict a cloud but you can't predict fog.

I am sure the FAA could care less if you can "predict" it or not.  Low visibility and your drone in moisture = against the rules.

People need to stop trying to skirt around them, that is how the hobby continually gets a bad rap.
2019-1-2
Use props
HH1
Second Officer
United States

HereForTheBeer Posted at 1-2 11:08

Good of you to put that up - it helps.
2019-1-2
Use props
HH1
Second Officer
United States

TC KABREW Posted at 1-2 11:23
wouldn't it depend on how long you were in the fog for or/and how moist the air is where you are

Yep, I would say that is a factor, but the battery instructions were very concerned about moisture, so why take the chance?  However, since these aircraft belong to each of us, then the decision is up to the individual - right
2019-1-2
Use props
HH1
Second Officer
United States

FlySD Posted at 1-2 11:23
I am sure the FAA could care less if you can "predict" it or not.  Low visibility and your drone in moisture = against the rules.

People need to stop trying to skirt around them, that is how the hobby continually gets a bad rap.

Good point, and also the FAA recommends that you listen to the Terminal Information on the aircraft AM frequency for the airport closest to you for the current conditions, wind and gusts, visibility etc.
2019-1-2
Use props
HH1
Second Officer
United States

Good point, and also the FAA recommends that you listen to the Terminal Information on the aircraft AM frequency for the airport closest to you for the current conditions, wind and gusts, visibility etc.
2019-1-2
Use props
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

thanks, i assumed this wasn't a part 107 flight and was a Section 336 flight.  you can be a 107 pilot but not every flight falls into 107 category if not commercial or that drone isn't registered for part 107..      

but that being said, very broad spectrum rule..  clouds are fog in the sky, fog is clouds on the ground..   but i think when anyone says cloud they mean above our heads not on the group, maybe over simplifying it a bit
2019-1-2
Use props
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

against the rules isn't against the law..    while yes, i much rather live by rules not by laws that are enforceable, at the same time, not everyone is a absolute menace that does something slightly against the rules.   i fly at night, in the fog, in rain, snow, low visibility, sometimes well over 400 feet AGL...   and the ironic part is my only serious occurrence with my drone happened the other day on a bright clear day, and ~50 feet AGL or something low like that, not a single sole (beyond myself) around.. and i crashed my mavic air pretty hard into a light pole....
2019-1-2
Use props
TC KABREW
lvl.3

Austria

FlySD Posted at 1-2 11:22
Even if they might not be classified as a cloud, as soon as you lose sight of your drone, you are doing it wrong.

if i still have a video feed what's wrong with that?
2019-1-2
Use props
TC KABREW
lvl.3

Austria

i suppose, my bad
2019-1-2
Use props
TC KABREW
lvl.3

Austria

HH1 Posted at 1-2 11:29
Yep, I would say that is a factor, but the battery instructions were very concerned about moisture, so why take the chance?  However, since these aircraft belong to each of us, then the decision is up to the individual - right

yh the decision is up to us, whats the difference between very moist air and fog
2019-1-2
Use props
FatherXmas
First Officer
Flight distance : 4058619 ft
  • >>>
United States

HereForTheBeer Posted at 1-2 11:36
thanks, i assumed this wasn't a part 107 flight and was a Section 336 flight.  you can be a 107 pilot but not every flight falls into 107 category if not commercial or that drone isn't registered for part 107..      

but that being said, very broad spectrum rule..  clouds are fog in the sky, fog is clouds on the ground..   but i think when anyone says cloud they mean above our heads not on the group, maybe over simplifying it a bit

336 no longer exists. They say to keep using them as a guideline until the replacement is released. I imagine whatever they replace it with will be closer to what 107 is today.
Either way, I still wouldn't fly in the fog, these things are not water proof so I'd be worried about frying something because it got wet.
2019-1-2
Use props
FlySD
lvl.4
United States

TC KABREW Posted at 1-2 11:45
yh the decision is up to us, whats the difference between very moist air and fog

Visibility, Line of Sight
2019-1-2
Use props
TC KABREW
lvl.3

Austria

FlySD Posted at 1-2 11:49
Visibility, Line of Sight

i meant the difference between what happened with the batteries
2019-1-2
Use props
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

TC KABREW Posted at 1-2 11:45

fog is is condensed moisture much closer to rain and is beyond air's saturation point, air can no longer hold onto moisture and is releasing it.  that's why it obstructs your view as physically in the way..  also why foix can sometimes be perceivably wet be droplets on you or things around you..      so flying around in densely foggy area will probably form water on parts of the drone maybe issue for some people as less willign to fly if its wet.. where as flying in humid air wont cause issues, other than maybe you sweating
2019-1-2
Use props
TC KABREW
lvl.3

Austria

HereForTheBeer Posted at 1-2 11:53
fog is is condensed moisture much closer to rain and is beyond air's saturation point, air can no longer hold onto moisture and is releasing it.  that's why it obstructs your view as physically in the way..  also why foix can sometimes be perceivably wet be droplets on you or things around you..      so flying around in densely foggy area will probably form water on parts of the drone maybe issue for some people as less willign to fly if its wet.. where as flying in humid air wont cause issues, other than maybe you sweating

okay, i am going to dry all my drones before i fly next.
2019-1-2
Use props
HH1
Second Officer
United States

HereForTheBeer Posted at 1-2 11:53
fog is is condensed moisture much closer to rain and is beyond air's saturation point, air can no longer hold onto moisture and is releasing it.  that's why it obstructs your view as physically in the way..  also why foix can sometimes be perceivably wet be droplets on you or things around you..      so flying around in densely foggy area will probably form water on parts of the drone maybe issue for some people as less willign to fly if its wet.. where as flying in humid air wont cause issues, other than maybe you sweating

Good points all, I'm learning, and thanks for that
2019-1-2
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules