Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Request. Simple version of the Z axis for the Osmo Pocket
4613 22 2019-1-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Ray-CubeAce
lvl.4

United Kingdom

I think it would be a nice addition to the list of optional extras and help with that last one bit of movement when walking about.

2019-1-2
Use props
markr041
lvl.3
United States

#Quick Reply Here#A $45 option does exist. See
2019-1-2
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
lvl.4

United Kingdom

markr041 Posted at 1-2 17:06
#Quick Reply Here#A $45 option does exist. See https://youtu.be/ZYPw_em66Hw

Hi Mark.
I have seen this item for sale at Amazon and I had watched this video some three weeks after spotting this for sale. The thing is, it was designed for the larger Osmo and as such the spring may have too much pull and not be as effective as one made more for the weight of the Pocket. I know the spring is adjustable but the force the spring may be too much for a lighter design to work well.
While I'm well into doing DIY builds for parts I don't think I'm up to working out spring forces needed for the best counteracting force needed. Also compared to the one DJI make this one is not as free moving. Look for the DJI Osmo X axis stabiliser video to see what I mean.  If DJI doesn't make one in the future I am looking at RC car parts to make my own.  Something like a rear swinging arm assembly with roller bearings and possibly a damper.
2019-1-3
Use props
DaMa
Second Officer
Flight distance : 889662 ft
  • >>>
Germany

My solution...
DJI_Ronin_2_ls_web.jpg
2019-1-3
Use props
TokyoStreetView
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1211378 ft
  • >>>
Japan

Would love that too!
2019-1-3
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day Ray-CubeAce. Thank you for raising this request today. Rest assured I will forward this request/thread to our DJI R&D Team for further development of the said product. Thank you for your support.
2019-1-3
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
lvl.4

United Kingdom

DJI Stephen Posted at 1-3 10:24
Hello and good day Ray-CubeAce. Thank you for raising this request today. Rest assured I will forward this request/thread to our DJI R&D Team for further development of the said product. Thank you for your support.

That's very considerate of you Stephen. Thank you. For working around crowds at events it would be very useful.
2019-1-3
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Ray-CubeAce Posted at 1-3 14:02
That's very considerate of you Stephen. Thank you. For working around crowds at events it would be very useful.

You are very much welcome Ray-CubeAce. I have already sent this request to our DJI R&D Team. For the latest news and updates regarding the DJI Osmo Pocket. Please visit our official website at www.dji.com. Happy new year.
2019-1-3
Use props
FutureIsInBeta
New
Singapore

haha super funny
2019-1-23
Use props
Joemar7
lvl.4
  • >>>
American Samoa

Ray-CubeAce Posted at 1-3 02:17
Hi Mark.
I have seen this item for sale at Amazon and I had watched this video some three weeks after spotting this for sale. The thing is, it was designed for the larger Osmo and as such the spring may have too much pull and not be as effective as one made more for the weight of the Pocket. I know the spring is adjustable but the force the spring may be too much for a lighter design to work well.
While I'm well into doing DIY builds for parts I don't think I'm up to working out spring forces needed for the best counteracting force needed. Also compared to the one DJI make this one is not as free moving. Look for the DJI Osmo X axis stabiliser video to see what I mean.  If DJI doesn't make one in the future I am looking at RC car parts to make my own.  Something like a rear swinging arm assembly with roller bearings and possibly a damper.

Yeah this thing was on my shopping cart for a while, but then I realized it will defeat the purpose of the osmo pocket plus it will look silly outdoors.  Wife thinks they might confuse it with a gun and someone would call the cops on me if I buy it.  Lol.  She looks for every excuse to save money I guess. Lol

A micro z-axis will be a dream come true.  
2019-1-23
Use props
eYeSkYeYe
Second Officer

Croatia

Now that's what I call proper rig.
2019-1-23
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
lvl.4

United Kingdom

Joemar7 Posted at 1-23 06:48
Yeah this thing was on my shopping cart for a while, but then I realized it will defeat the purpose of the osmo pocket plus it will look silly outdoors.  Wife thinks they might confuse it with a gun and someone would call the cops on me if I buy it.  Lol.  She looks for every excuse to save money I guess. Lol

A micro z-axis will be a dream come true.

I'm not sure I would use a large z axis stabiliser in very crowded public areas on a day to day basis but I do cover public events such as festivals where it would be very useful and for private functions.
2019-1-23
Use props
Upscaleman
lvl.3
United States

Boy did you ever set the bar high on OP future requests...
2019-1-23
Use props
theprisoner6666
lvl.3
Hong Kong

You'd need to be a clown to fit that in your pocket.
2019-1-23
Use props
Tide
Second Officer
South Korea

Same idea here.
I also think about DIY one myself.
Then if there is official one which is small and efficient would be the best.
2019-1-24
Use props
Stan Cook
lvl.1
United States

Check this out: http://bit.ly/2tvsFSL
2019-2-21
Use props
Wiz33
lvl.4
Flight distance : 35994 ft
  • >>>
United States

Watch this video. Although it's in Japanese and I don't understand a single world but it's show how to eliminate most of the Z axis bump just using a mini tripod mount. Skip to the 6:45 mark for actual test footages using varies filming methods.

2019-2-21
Use props
Upscaleman
lvl.3
United States

It's literally the next post:

https://scottymakesstuff.com/col ... th-axis-with-handle
2019-2-21
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
lvl.4

United Kingdom

Stan Cook Posted at 2-21 09:29
Check this out: http://bit.ly/2tvsFSL

Out of the two I would have to go with the mini X-axis.
Mainly because there is more to stability than arm/wrist holding. There is no mention of the walking gait of the operative in the multiple waking video which can vary a lot from person to person.
I've actually bought the third party Osmo X-axis which in all honesty could be much more rigid and is a tad too bulky and heavy negating the Osmo Pockets main advantages of portability and lightness. Plus it needs additional weights and a holder adding even more weight. So I made my own Osmo Pocket holder cutting up old car parts (ignition coil pack covers) epoxied together and adding nuts underneath for 1/4" tripod mounting or in this instance two unused glide-cam weights.

Even then, it's top-heavy in use with one hand so I've had to modify the grip position so the pocket is below my hand height. Now it works reasonably well but is a pain to get much above waist height without excessive wrist strain. At least this mini X-axis mount looks lighter and would be interesting to find out how solid and fluid it really is. Main drawback as far as I can see would be using it with a phone which at least can be done with the one I have.
I've also been in contact with Tai Pan Cinema who are currently looking for UK distributors for their Osmo Pocket cage, as that looks promising for tripod work or fixing somewhere for remote work.
It's a pity Dji isn't faster at bringing out additional supporting kit for the Pocket. They probably could have made as much again selling users additional kit by now.
2019-2-21
Use props
John Baxter
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Ray-CubeAce Posted at 2-21 14:14
Out of the two I would have to go with the mini X-axis.
Mainly because there is more to stability than arm/wrist holding. There is no mention of the walking gait of the operative in the multiple waking video which can vary a lot from person to person.
I've actually bought the third party Osmo X-axis which in all honesty could be much more rigid and is a tad too bulky and heavy negating the Osmo Pockets main advantages of portability and lightness. Plus it needs additional weights and a holder adding even more weight. So I made my own Osmo Pocket holder cutting up old car parts (ignition coil pack covers) epoxied together and adding nuts underneath for 1/4" tripod mounting or in this instance two unused glide-cam weights.

Are we not starting to defeat the main purpose of the OP being compact and unobtrusive with all these add ons?
2019-2-21
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
lvl.4

United Kingdom

John Baxter Posted at 2-21 16:03
Are we not starting to defeat the main purpose of the OP being compact and unobtrusive with all these add ons?

Depends on the required end results.
Adding a phone makes it more obtrusive but helps with more accurate framing and control.
What look do you want your end video to have?
Most of what I do is planned or has a reason to be filmed.
I don't often shoot for just myself except on holiday.
It is just one piece of equipment for me to choose from.
It depends on where I am and what I'm shooting.
Choice is key to me and weight is still light and mainly controllable adding extras.
I have no need to be stealthy.
I prefer stable footage.

2019-2-21
Use props
BeterBan
lvl.4
Austria

John Baxter Posted at 2-21 16:03
Are we not starting to defeat the main purpose of the OP being compact and unobtrusive with all these add ons?

... for an OP + accessory you need either a Cadillac or three sherpas ... or both ...

2019-2-21
Use props
Philosmo
lvl.1
Germany

This would make the Osmo Pocket the perfect camera.
2020-2-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules