slow shutter response with ronin s button
1880 10 2019-1-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Gadget Guy
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

I recently received my new ronin-s.  I have successfully balanced a few lens configurations with my 5dMK4.  The gimbal is working smooth and quiet.  One issue I am having is with the ronin s shutter / record button when taking pictures, it works well in video mode.  It will focus on a 1/2 press and take a picture, however; to get it to take several pictures quickly it will not do it.  Can only take a picture about once every 2-3 seconds.  The button on the ronin-s is just not responsive, unless I’m doing something wrong.  Not sure how I can be doing it wrong, as its only a button. When I use the ronin s in create mode in time lapse or motion lapse mode it will trigger the camera quickly, at least a picture a second.  I’m using a 5dMK4.  I have the MK4 set for high speed continuous, single shot focus.  Anyone else experiencing this or have a fix for it?  just as a side note, the focus wheel is working well with the canon 5dMK4.  
2019-1-3
Use props
arthurbikemad
lvl.3
Flight distance : 49954 ft
United Kingdom

I've had issues with the start stop button since release. It does not focus in video mode at all, start stop now works after the latest firmware but that's all. DJI have kind of said they are on the case but it's now gone quiet since I stopped posting about it.. (Video mode).

I've not tried shooting stills with my 5D4 but I will have a go next time I have it setup and post back.

I only wish DJI would get a shift on and fix the minor bugs that make a great product flawed by lack of simple working features, I mean, focus and shutter are simple right?? Canon can do it with a wet piece of string and a paper cup.

Come on DJI, you can do it, feel motivated, feel the love, feel the pain, pull it together and get the final bugs fixed....go go go....!
2019-1-4
Use props
arthurbikemad
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Had a quick test in the name of R&D for DJI.

So I assume stills mode, live view, cont drive mode (fast). M mode, ISO Auto, 1/1000, f2.8, not that it matters too much just to get some frames off. 5D4 with 16-35 f2.8 Mk2. Latest FW on 5D4 and Ronin S.
Connected via supplied DJI USB cable. I do have the command unit on the Ronin and the GPS.

Power up Ronin S, Camera in still mode, try AF button on Camera all good, shoot a sequence no problem nice and fast.

AF button on Ronin seems to function in stills mode unlike video mode but it will not trigger the camera to take a shot, if you look at the command unit it changes each press from the stills icon to the video icon, it shows the circles when you half press the record button and focuses the camera but no shutter, keep trying to get it to take a shot and the icon changes to a small video camera or a small stills camera, hard to say what icon will appear but it never triggers a photo to be taken. DJI please don't ask for a video.
2019-1-4
Use props
arthurbikemad
lvl.3
United Kingdom

I won't bother trying motion/time modes etc.
2019-1-4
Use props
Gadget Guy
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Thanks for try on your setup.  The only way I can get the ronin s to take a picture by its button is to hold it down for a couple of seconds and it will eventually otrigger the 5dMK4 shutter. Then you have to take you finger of the button and wait 2-3 seconds before it will allow another long press to actuate the shutter.  Again, when in timelapse the ronin s can actuate the shutter fairly rapidly, I had it doing close to every second.  
2019-1-4
Use props
arthurbikemad
lvl.3
United Kingdom

No problem, just tried time lapse on mine, does indeed fire the shutter, but watching it is weird, I've not tried to edit or run the sequence but it looks like in the situation I am in now, if the camera fails to focus it seems to miss a shot, move, then try and focus again, maybe takes the shot or fails to focus, moves and so on, watching it I am sure it skips a frame as focus was not achieved, I wonder if the Ronin is in aware of the focus lock, I.e it just runs the sequence despite what the camera is doing, I see no other reason why it would go out of sync so to speak.... strange...
2019-1-4
Use props
Gadget Guy
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

I ran into same issue on focus lock and ronin s advancing and missing shot.  A work around may be to configure 5dMK4 focus priority in focus settings or ensure good light and a minimum of 5 seconds between shots. There is alot to be desired in the current state of Ronin s operational capabilities in regards to interfacing with a mainstream camera such as the 5dMK4.  Don't get me wrong, this gimbal setup is some very nice technology for sure, however it could be great technology if it had more robust interface capabilities with the cameras.
2019-1-4
Use props
arthurbikemad
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Gadget Guy Posted at 1-4 06:04
I ran into same issue on focus lock and ronin s advancing and missing shot.  A work around may be to configure 5dMK4 focus priority in focus settings or ensure good light and a minimum of 5 seconds between shots. There is alot to be desired in the current state of Ronin s operational capabilities in regards to interfacing with a mainstream camera such as the 5dMK4.  Don't get me wrong, this gimbal setup is some very nice technology for sure, however it could be great technology if it had more robust interface capabilities with the cameras.
I agree, seems there is no feedback from the gimbal, i.e focus confirmation etc. I guess maybe manual focus and a deep DOF is an idea. As you say the Ronin S is a great tool, so close to perfection, I hope the minor firmware bugs are fixed before the hardware crew develope another model. I have tp admit for me I am only interested in stable video footage, that said its nice to have the full array of tools to hand for creative video projects.
2019-1-4
Use props
Gadget Guy
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

I did some more testing this morning.  When in photo mode on the command unit I see the video icon and the movie icon  when taking a photo with the ronin s trigger button. Seems to me its querys each press to see which mode to trigger because it's not getting feedback as to what mode the camera is in, photo or movie. If this is true, then hopefully they figure out feedback or give us a manual selection via app or command unit to lock either pohoto or vedio camera mode selection.  Hopeful this would improve trigger reaction time.
2019-1-5
Use props
Gadget Guy
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Just tried using the Ronin s with my canon 5ds.  No luck with the comms cable,  would be nice to control 50 mega px on this gimbal.  I have my 100mm canon macro v2 on my 5dmk4 now and that's working sweet.  Taking tack sharp picks at 15 of a sec with indoor weak lighting.  With the 5dmk4 touch screen set st sensitive I can use the touch screen with minimal strain on the gimbal, eg.. activating zoom up to 10x and then using ronin s focus wheel to nail focus.  Be nice if they added 5ds on this setup.   
2019-1-5
Use props
arthurbikemad
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Fingers crossed DJI read the thread and comment etc.
2019-1-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules