Quality issues blurry area RAW Photography
1967 13 2019-1-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_f22l4WRdAM2n
lvl.2

Germany

Hello,

I have a problem with my new drone and would appreciate your opinion.

I bought a Mavic 2 Pro in a local shop in Hamburg/Germany and noticed a very blurry area on the right side of every photo that I took. I used RAW, an aperture of around 4.5 which seems to be as sharp as it gets, Iso 100 on a sunny day, a short enough shutter time and Capture One 12 as Raw Converter. The lens was clean. I am a professional photographer and knew directly that something is probably not ok with the camera.

I returned the Mavic 2 and got a new one from the shop.

Unfortunately the new Mavic has more or less exactly the same problem.

You can find a link to some sample images here: Sample images[size=14.000000953674316px]

This time I sent the Mavic to the official German repair center in Niederlauer and they strangely did not find any problem at all and want to send the drone back next week as it is.
I called one of the technicians yesterday and he said that the images are all very sharp and he can´t see any problem. I should buy an Inspire 2 if I want better image quality. When I told him that I am very happy with the overall image quality of the small sensor and only can´t live with blurry parts on one side, he replied that there are certain tolerances in the production and this is normal. I was irritated that such a big tolerance seems to be normal. The technician wants to send the images to the development team in China now and they should decide if I get a repaired drone or not.

I am pretty frustrated because I thought they could simply send me a repaired drone or new one because there is obviously a problem with the camera from the beginning on. For me it is clearly a warranty case and they should have to fix the problem.

Don´t get me wrong. I don´t expect full sensor quality. I think the photo quality in the sharp parts of the raw files is very satisfying. For me the blurry area on the right side of every single photo is just not acceptable.

I would appreciate your opinion on my problem. Thank you very much!

Best regards,
Yannik

DJI_0310_Crop2.jpg
DJI_0310_Crop1.jpg
2019-1-5
Use props
QUBO1234
lvl.2
United States

I notice a slight improvement in image quality at the edges by taking the UV filter off.  Perhaps manufacturing tolerances are based on not having the filter on?
2019-1-5
Use props
_Yannik
lvl.2

Germany

Hi, thanks for your reply. My problem is that there is a blurry area only on the right side of every image. Don´t think the UV filter is the problem (it is clean). But interesting to hear that you noticed an improvement in image quality without the UV filter. Did you actually fly without it? What about dust etc.?
2019-1-5
Use props
QUBO1234
lvl.2
United States

_Yannik Posted at 1-5 09:27
Hi, thanks for your reply. My problem is that there is a blurry area only on the right side of every image. Don´t think the UV filter is the problem (it is clean). But interesting to hear that you noticed an improvement in image quality without the UV filter. Did you actually fly without it? What about dust etc.?

Yes I flew without the filter and did not notice any problems.   I think removing the filter just eliminates another layer of possible lens distortion, i.e. light having to travel through one more glass layer.    I put the filter back on and just live with the small amount of fuzziness at the edges, which for me is comparable to diffraction seen at higher f-stops.
2019-1-6
Use props
fansbfff9f57
lvl.1
Flight distance : 506161 ft
Denmark

I'm professional photographer as well and have the same problem with the mavic pro, my photos was blurry in the left side, I went to the shop with my problem after 3 weeks in technical I got a new drone, but then I now have problems with right side og the picture... very frustrating
2019-1-7
Use props
_Yannik
lvl.2

Germany

Small update: DJI checks my M2P again and will hopefully soon tell me what is going on now. At first they just send me a copy paste email that they could not find any problem and will send my M2P back again, even though there is clearly a sharpness issue on the right side of every photo.
2019-1-12
Use props
paul2660
lvl.4
Flight distance : 10331 ft
  • >>>
United States

DJI, is sadly not going to fix this.  They would have to replace the entire gimbal or replace the drone totally.  I have 2 MP2's and both have this issue.  One to the left, other to the right. Usually I can account for it with added sharpening in post.  But I would love to have the 4:3 crop factor, easily give a bit of resolution to get rid of the worst part of the image.  I can easily pan if I need a bigger image.  

Same issues occurred with MPP, but with less overall resolution, issue was harder to see.  

Paul C
2019-1-13
Use props
_Yannik
lvl.2

Germany

Another small update: I will get a new M2P from the DJI support within the next days. I am optimistic now, that the issue will be solved then. Fingers crossed!
2019-1-17
Use props
_Yannik
lvl.2

Germany

Update: I received a new M2P from DJI and this one is even more unsharp than the previous version.  It is my third copy with this problem.  I worked a lot with medium format Hasselblad cameras during my photography education and it is really sad to see how the name Hasselblad is used these days. What shall I do? Send it in another time?

2019-1-25
Use props
_Yannik
lvl.2

Germany

This is my third M2P. The first one that I bought in a local shop here in Hamburg in Germany had a blurry right side. I got another M2P from the shop and it also had a blurry right side. Then I sent the second one to DJI in Germany and got a M2P with an even more blurry right side last week. What should I do now? Pretty frustrating...

2019-1-26
Use props
Ssäsch
lvl.4
Germany

You are not alone... My first copy was really bad, too. Got more luck with the second one, still not perfect but acceptable for the lens / sensor combination.
https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=165897&extra=page%3D1%26filter%3Dtypeid%26typeid%3D541&page=1
2019-1-26
Use props
_Yannik
lvl.2

Germany

I will return my M2P tomorrow in my local shop. I bought my first (from three!) M2P nearly three months ago... I don´t have the time to send the drone back and forth again until I get a good one. In my opinion as a professional photographer the Hasselblad marketing is a big delusion and the quality control at least in my case is a catastrophy. I shot regularly on Hasselblad medium format cameras during my photography education years ago and find it sad what is done in the name of this company today.
2019-1-27
Use props
_Yannik
lvl.2

Germany

Hi, another update: I returned my MP2 and bought a Phantom 4 Pro Obsidian instead. Now I am happy! The overall image quality for stills is much better in my opinion and everything is ok now.
2019-1-30
Use props
Patrick G
lvl.2
France

Hello.

Just to share my experience, I needed to send back two units of Mavic Pro 1 before I have a correct one!
I sent them in repair and DJI changed them directly but a long delay for my second unit. They were aware of this but never admitted it. 1500€ and soft image in corner, I was really upset and spent weeks without flying. They did not even extended my warranty... (because « repair » took less than 2 months... no comment).

It seems that DJI did not learn anything, and still use crappy assembly lines...

Totally crazy for a 1500€ machine...

I sold my mavic 1 but when I read this I would say « never again »....
2019-1-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules