Pro Mode- Doesn't retain settings when turned off
1522 20 2019-1-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
vidguy7
lvl.2
United States

I've noticed that the Osmo Pocket will retain settings when disconnected from the phone. As an example, I adjust EV to -1/3 for a better exposure without blown highlights and that setting was retained when I disconnected the unit from my Iphone. However once I turn off the Osmo Pocket and turn it back on, it defaults back to a '0' EV. This occurs despite the unit indicating it's still in Pro mode. I know it's not just my unit since a friend has noted the same thing. This is really unfortunate since the idea of Pro mode is to dial in settings and keep them until the user wishes to change them.

I hope this will be fixed in a future firmware update.
2019-1-5
Use props
UweE
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1016775 ft
  • >>>
Germany

If you would read various tutorials or entries in this forum,  you would know this...
2019-1-5
Use props
vidguy7
lvl.2
United States

Thanks for a courteous, useful response.
2019-1-5
Use props
PG73
lvl.4
United Kingdom

UweE Posted at 1-5 08:41
If you would read various tutorials or entries in this forum,  you would know this...

I didn't know this from what I had read and seen on YouTube, as the Pro settings were retained once unplugged from a phone and only lost when making a setting change on the device, as indicated on the device's screen. If after turning off and back on and the display still shows Pro mode, I would expect all the settings to remain.
2019-1-5
Use props
DJI-Osmo-User-1
lvl.4
United Kingdom

when I started to write this I assumed it was a bug, now I think of it your ev value would only be set in auto mode, in manual mode it’s only relevant to what it’s pointing to for the lighting conditions at that moment.

I have not tried auto mode to see if the ev defaults back after a power cycle which would seem a bit annoying as I often power down between shots.
2019-1-5
Use props
vidguy7
lvl.2
United States

PG73 Posted at 1-5 09:12
I didn't know this from what I had read and seen on YouTube, as the Pro settings were retained once unplugged from a phone and only lost when making a setting change on the device, as indicated on the device's screen. If after turning off and back on and the display still shows Pro mode, I would expect all the settings to remain.

Yes, despite what the poster above said, I just scanned through 8 pages of topics on the OP and there isn't one that I saw that addressed this. Also, a search of this topic yields nothing. I too have seen many reviews on the OP and I never saw this issue addressed either.

I still think the PQ of the unit is excellent, but this issue should be addressed since as it stands now, you'd have to keep the unit powered on or constantly reconnect it to your phone to reset your desired settings.
2019-1-5
Use props
vidguy7
lvl.2
United States

DJI-Osmo-User-1 Posted at 1-5 09:13
when I started to write this I assumed it was a bug, now I think of it your ev value would only be set in auto mode, in manual mode it’s only relevant to what it’s pointing to for the lighting conditions at that moment.

I have not tried auto mode to see if the ev defaults back after a power cycle which would seem a bit annoying as I often power down between shots.

No, that's actually not the case. Adjusting the EV in the OP Pro mode functions the same way as it does for my mirrorless cameras. It sets an EV value deviation that is constantly applied against what the camera's Auto setting would dictate. So if you dialed in an EV of -.7, the camera would subtract that value from whatever the Auto mode determined. This would be a dynamic setting that would change regardless of the brightness of the scene...indoors or outdoors. I've tried it and it works just as it does in my mirrorless cameras. However as I stated, that EV value defaults back to zero once the unit is powered off and back on again.

I use a negative EV value in some cameras because I find their default values to be a bit 'hot' and certain areas become overexposed as shown by the zebras.
2019-1-5
Use props
Rogue0ne
lvl.3
Flight distance : 30322 ft
United Kingdom

Yeah, it’s not just you. It seems the only way to keep manual settings is to connect to the phone every time you use it. It kinda makes sense in that you’ll probably always need to change the exposure value?
2019-1-5
Use props
vidguy7
lvl.2
United States

Rogue0ne Posted at 1-5 17:26
Yeah, it’s not just you. It seems the only way to keep manual settings is to connect to the phone every time you use it. It kinda makes sense in that you’ll probably always need to change the exposure value?

For me, I'd rather the camera keep the setting. Since I generally find that many cameras overexpose a bit at their default exposure, I often run with my cameras at a constant -1/3 EV value from the Auto value. I can always adjust on the fly as needed, but for me that -1/3 is a starting point, much like a 0 EV is for other users. So I'd much prefer to retain the setting than lose it. I can't even understand why the camera remains in the 'Pro' mode upon powering back on, when everything is set back to default anyway. At that point the 'Pro' mode has no meaning.
2019-1-5
Use props
KEN5423
lvl.3
United States

I do not read manuals.But I do know when I set up pro mode on my phone then disconnect my phone to use Pocket as stand alone,then record and shut down.When I boot up my Pocket 3 day's later as stand alone with no phone it still has the same pro mode settings booted.
2019-1-5
Use props
fans75420bd1
lvl.2
United States

KEN5423 Posted at 1-5 20:21
I do not read manuals.But I do know when I set up pro mode on my phone then disconnect my phone to use Pocket as stand alone,then record and shut down.When I boot up my Pocket 3 day's later as stand alone with no phone it still has the same pro mode settings booted.

You seem to be the only one in this thread whose Osmo retains the settings. Are you absolutely sure? The fact that when you boot it up it says “Pro” doesn’t mean the settings were retained.

You can conduct an easy experiment to confirm this behavior. While connected to your phone, adjust the EV to an unmistakably dark setting, one you would never use while shooting video. Now disconnect the phone and the settings should be retained and your screen should look dark. Now turn the power off and back on again and watch the screen. I’ll bet it returns to a normal brightness, not the dark setting you had before you turned it off.

Owners in this thread seem to report this same behavior and my friend, who just bought the Pocket, saw the same behavior when I walked him through what I just described. The fact that the camera is reporting it’s in the Pro mode when you reboot, is not the same as successfully retaining settings prior to shutting down. On the AVS forum, owners there too are seeing the Pocket doesn’t retain the settings after powering down. It’s hard to believe you have the only one that does.
2019-1-6
Use props
CemAygun
lvl.4
Flight distance : 810 ft
Turkey

I have only used pro mode for long exposure time lapse and I can confirm that it retains the manually set shutter speed through on-off cycles for the time lapse mode; as long as pro mode is not cancelled of course. So it can keep the pro settings in some instances... I am guessing loosing other values is simply a bug...

EDIT: Did some further testing and I can confirm that EV setting in auto mode is not retained. Funny enough even the app does not keep that setting through plugs/unplugs. So if you just disconnect the OP without leaving the app and plug again, the EV is reset. Manual settings are not like that, once they are set, they are retained in the app. When you unplug and plug back, the same settings are right there. I recon this is the reason they are also persistent in the OP pro mode.

Bottom line: Probably it is not a bug, but rather an interesting choice by DJI. For some reason exposure compensation in auto mode is not among the significant/stored values, ergo it is not retained by the osmo pocket through on-off cycles in the pro mode.

2019-1-6
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day. Thank you for raising this concern to us. The best thing I can do to help is to forward this concern/thread to our DJI R&D Teams for future development of the DJI Osmo Pocket. Thank you for your support.
2019-1-6
Use props
fans75420bd1
lvl.2
United States

CemAygun Posted at 1-6 04:38
I have only used pro mode for long exposure time lapse and I can confirm that it retains the manually set shutter speed through on-off cycles for the time lapse mode; as long as pro mode is not cancelled of course. So it can keep the pro settings in some instances... I am guessing loosing other values is simply a bug...

EDIT: Did some further testing and I can confirm that EV setting in auto mode is not retained. Funny enough even the app does not keep that setting through plugs/unplugs. So if you just disconnect the OP without leaving the app and plug again, the EV is reset. Manual settings are not like that, once they are set, they are retained in the app. When you unplug and plug back, the same settings are right there. I recon this is the reason they are also persistent in the OP pro mode.

Yes, you are correct. The pity is that many people do use auto in conjunction with an EV bias. All mirrorless cameras from Sony & Panasonic allow this. I would think it’s a very easy fix for DJI to implement and I certainly hope they do. It’s critical for run n gun shooting where full manual just isn’t practical. The Pocket will be used frequently in run n gun situations.

I use a negative EV setting because the Osmo will frequently overexpose at its default as will many mirrorless cameras.
2019-1-6
Use props
Upscaleman
lvl.3
United States

I can't wait until DJI issues a firmware update fixing this and every other issue on this forum so I can watch everyone complain about a completely new set of problems!
2019-1-6
Use props
CemAygun
lvl.4
Flight distance : 810 ft
Turkey

DJI Stephen Posted at 1-6 11:26
Hello and good day. Thank you for raising this concern to us. The best thing I can do to help is to forward this concern/thread to our DJI R&D Teams for future development of the DJI Osmo Pocket. Thank you for your support.

Thank you Stephen. As fans75420bd1 stated, in certain conditions you use a fixed EV throughout different shots and it is vital to be able to maintain the setting, both for speed and error prevention reasons. My LX100 has a physical dial just for EV and that is such a blessing.

So it would be nice if that is at least included in the retained settings; but honestly, given it's importance probably it should be among the main in camera ones. IMHO auto mode is not full without it...

Cheers,

PS: Thanks a lot fans75420bd1 for bringing this to everyone's attention...
2019-1-6
Use props
WebParrot
Second Officer
Flight distance : 23625 ft
  • >>>
United States

If you haven't done so yet, please participate in the Poll I started to support interest in adding PreSets.  More detail here:   https://forum.dji.com/thread-174702-1-1.html
2019-1-6
Use props
WebParrot
Second Officer
Flight distance : 23625 ft
  • >>>
United States

CemAygun Posted at 1-6 16:20
Thank you Stephen. As fans75420bd1 stated, in certain conditions you use a fixed EV throughout different shots and it is vital to be able to maintain the setting, both for speed and error prevention reasons. My LX100 has a physical dial just for EV and that is such a blessing.

So it would be nice if that is at least included in the retained settings; but honestly, given it's importance probably it should be among the main in camera ones. IMHO auto mode is not full without it...

I replied to the Original Poster suggesting the following (sorry for the redundancy).  Noting these issues myself, I started a Poll to gather interest AND gain support for adding a PreSet feature to Mimo that would carry forward to the device Settings page(s).  ALL settings for fps, white balance, and all the manual settings would/could be part of the preset.  You could name your presets to make recognition easier when only using the device.
Please participate in the poll (only 4 days left).  I'll forward the results to Panda and open a Chat Session with Support to reinforce the breadth of interest.  Worth a try, eh?

https://forum.dji.com/thread-174702-1-1.html
2019-1-6
Use props
Cameleon
lvl.4
Flight distance : 60394 ft
United Kingdom

Sounds like a bug to me, should retain the settings, so hopefully the devs will fix it.
2019-1-7
Use props
North Ico
New
Czechia

Osmo Pocket needs at least some fast choice to fixate to preserve automatically measured exposition, ISO etc. when we need it. For example when I shoot people in the room and the window is behind me, everything is ok, but when I need to face towards the window (backlight), I need to fast fixate actual automatically measured values of the current exposition, before I am making that turn. Please add into the menu at least this function, if not complete manual settings. Now it is virtually impossible to shoot people when sun is behind them, without smartphone connected. Thank you.
2019-1-7
Use props
Rogue0ne
lvl.3
Flight distance : 30322 ft
United Kingdom

Upscaleman Posted at 1-6 12:26
I can't wait until DJI issues a firmware update fixing this and every other issue on this forum so I can watch everyone complain about a completely new set of problems!

So people are just supposed to put up with a product that doesn’t work correctly? If you don’t l8ke the posts here, don’t read them.
2019-1-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules