Issue of setting home point to me
6125 24 2019-1-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
CharlieZ
Second Officer
Flight distance : 623432 ft
United States

I'm using a Mavic 2 zoom and my phone is iPhone 8. When I'm trying to set the home point to me on the app, it doesn't allow me to do that because it says GPS signal too weak on my phone. I've tried this in different locations as well but it gives me the same error. Does anyone know why?
2019-1-5
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

The home point is set once the motors start. If I understand you correctly.

Why are you using your phones GPS?
2019-1-5
Use props
CharlieZ
Second Officer
United States

Woe Posted at 1-5 16:40
The home point is set once the motors start. If I understand you correctly.

Why are you using your phones GPS?

My location has changed, so I need to set home point to my location.
2019-1-5
Use props
Phu Minh Dang
New

Vietnam

Yup...i have also got a same problem to set HOME POINT ME like you said, is there anyone know why?
2019-1-5
Use props
HH1
Second Officer
Flight distance : 73114 ft
United States

I haven't tried this yet, but read it here somewhere.  When you start the motors and BEFORE you move the craft, swipe the screen of your tablet/phone to the left and it will brighten the screen and set the Home Point.  Might give it a swipe, like I said, I have not tried it yet.
2019-1-5
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day CharlieZ. I am sorry for the inconvenience. Have you tried a different recommended mobile device to test if the issue still persist? Actually, it is not recommended to fly the drone when there is no GPS, I recommend you to choose an outdoor open area where the GPS is good and no magnetic interference to fly the drone. If there is any further issue, please feel free to let us know, we're glad to help.
2019-1-6
Use props
G_Sig
First Officer
Flight distance : 9109311 ft
Iceland

This is well known with iOS devices. Thought this had been fixed.
Just for those that don't understand the problem,

it is this command which you are using and then get this

The is no easy fix for this unless Dji will do something about it.
2019-1-6
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Usually this is a problem with the gps of the device being used .
2019-1-6
Use props
TVOD
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1680082 ft
United Kingdom

Yes this was fixed but after another update 3 weeks ago it now fails to work, i once thought it was my iPad mini that was at fault but i have seen it work with an update, last update killed it

Cheers Roy
2019-1-6
Use props
jwt-873
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6754350 ft
Canada

Just a guess...  But you might check if your Apple device is allowing DJI Go access to the GPS function.   I have mine set to "While Using".    Not sure how this would work with a non-cellular iPad which doesn't have a GPS receiver.   Below is a screen capture from my iPad Pro 9.7

2019-1-7
Use props
CharlieZ
Second Officer
United States

jwt-873 Posted at 1-7 07:44
Just a guess...  But you might check if your Apple device is allowing DJI Go access to the GPS function.   I have mine set to "While Using".    Not sure how this would work with a non-cellular iPad which doesn't have a GPS receiver.   Below is a screen capture from my iPad Pro 9.7

[view_image]

It's allowed.
2019-1-7
Use props
CharlieZ
Second Officer
United States

G_Sig Posted at 1-6 09:32
This is well known with iOS devices. Thought this had been fixed.
Just for those that don't understand the problem,
[view_image]

Yes, I that's the problem I have.
2019-1-7
Use props
CharlieZ
Second Officer
United States

DJI Stephen Posted at 1-6 08:37
Hello and good day CharlieZ. I am sorry for the inconvenience. Have you tried a different recommended mobile device to test if the issue still persist? Actually, it is not recommended to fly the drone when there is no GPS, I recommend you to choose an outdoor open area where the GPS is good and no magnetic interference to fly the drone. If there is any further issue, please feel free to let us know, we're glad to help.

Hi Stephen,
Please check G_Sig's reply (#7). That is the issue I have. Please fix it.
2019-1-7
Use props
djiuser_ROQojvzAMd4R
lvl.1
Flight distance : 8097 ft
Gibraltar

Hi drone pilots

I own a mavic 2 zoom and every time I try switching between home point to the little man which means it’s supposed to land where ever you are standing with your controlar , it says it can’t be changed due to weak gps signal on my device, I then did the same with my iPad Air which has cellular and WiFi and still it would not let me ,saying the same weak gps signal
2019-1-8
Use props
djiuser_ROQojvzAMd4R
lvl.1
Flight distance : 8097 ft
Gibraltar

Hi Stephen

I also have the same problem with both my iOS devices, it will never let me set my actual location due to weak gps signal please fix as I aswell as many uses use this option quite a lot and it does cuase some inconveniences

Many thanks Graham
2019-1-8
Use props
High Altitude
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2106545 ft
United States

Same issue when changing home point setting with my ipad air 2 says weak gps signal, dji engineers have been aware this is an issue thats not been corrected so must be a latent defect they should either eleimanate the option and/or disclose the problem they cant fix
2019-3-21
Use props
SH59
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4291 ft

United States

I also get that same message. Following thread for resolution.
2019-3-22
Use props
zappy54
Second Officer
Flight distance : 446900 ft
United Kingdom

I to have same issue with iPhone 8 this really needs to be fixed by DJI
2019-3-22
Use props
pcmavicair
lvl.1
United States

I just tried two days ago and it did not work. The DJI Go4 apps actually showed 19 Satellites available at the time. Do we have any DJI employee here to acknowledge the problem and tell us when it will be fixed.  
2020-6-6
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

pcmavicair Posted at 6-6 22:06
I just tried two days ago and it did not work. The DJI Go4 apps actually showed 19 Satellites available at the time. Do we have any DJI employee here to acknowledge the problem and tell us when it will be fixed.

The number of satellites being reported by the DJI Go 4 app are those visible to the aircraft, which has it's own GPS receiver, it has nothing to do with whether your Apple device can see satellites or not. The aircraft will ALWAYS set the home point when it is started up, and the motors are started, as long as it can see satellites. It is NEVER WISE to fly away until you hear confirmation that the 'Home Point Has Been Set'.

If you wish to set a new home point to your RC control unit position, then the RC unit will try to read the position from your phone or tablet, but if it cannot get a good GPS signal from the phone or tablet, then it will not set a new home point.

Apple devices have to be instructed in the settings to use Location Services and also to make that information is available to connected devices, and Apple devices that do not have a cellular connection HAVE NO GPS AT ALL, as the cellular chip and GPS receiver are all in the one chip.

Be aware that if you have the RC device in a vehicle, house or under a roof, the phone will most likely not have a suffiently strong enough signal to set a home point.
2020-6-6
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

pcmavicair Posted at 6-6 22:06

Do we have any DJI employee here to acknowledge the problem and tell us when it will be fixed.
It would be unrealistic to expect the DJI people in this forum to do anything other than fob you off with the usual  meaningless copied & pasted answer.
The issue has been happening for two years now so it's probably not going away anytime soon.

I just tried two days ago and it did not work. The DJI Go4 apps actually showed 19 Satellites available at the time.
The issue has nothing to do with the number of satellites available (there are always more than enough).
It's also not about the Apple device not receiving GPS data from the sats.
It's something that prevents the app from getting the information from Apple devices.
2020-6-6
Use props
pcmavicair
lvl.1
United States

Geebax Posted at 6-6 22:47
The number of satellites being reported by the DJI Go 4 app are those visible to the aircraft, which has it's own GPS receiver, it has nothing to do with whether your Apple device can see satellites or not. The aircraft will ALWAYS set the home point when it is started up, and the motors are started, as long as it can see satellites. It is NEVER WISE to fly away until you hear confirmation that the 'Home Point Has Been Set'.

If you wish to set a new home point to your RC control unit position, then the RC unit will try to read the position from your phone or tablet, but if it cannot get a good GPS signal from the phone or tablet, then it will not set a new home point.

I'm now aware of the difference of the gps satellites reading for the drone and for the phone. I also read this from other posts. Thanks.

However, my cellular connection at the time was strong (full bars), my WIFI also was one. No luck.

I read a post from two years ago that if you unplug the wire connecting to the phone and plug back when the controller is connected to the drone, it could fix the problem. I have not tried this yet.
2020-6-7
Use props
papacosta
lvl.1

Cyprus

This is OBVIOUSLY a DJI GO 4 issue - iOS. I have the iPhone X and have the same issue, never once in any location have I been able to set home point, I tried it after on three different android phones and they could all get RC home point location within 1 minute of taking off in the exact same location. I even tried using google maps while using djugo4 on the iPhone X without being able to update the home point to RC location while in google maps of course I could see that my iPhone as getting my location precise to a couple of meters. so the issue is clearly the way DJIGO4 communicates with the iOS devices as all iPad, iPhone users from 7, 8 ,x, 11 etc are all saying the same thing. and yes I have DJIGO 4 location permission set to ALWAYS.  so please DJI fix this, I don't want to have to go and buy and androad to fly from car / boats. I shoot at sea always and almost lost the drone several times because I'm not able to use return to home. please update us when you will fix the app.

in the meantime though, if any forum users have cheap andrid tablet that can do this please let me know which one, was looking at the T3 or something like that temporary

2020-8-20
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

papacosta Posted at 8-20 23:34
This is OBVIOUSLY a DJI GO 4 issue - iOS. I have the iPhone X and have the same issue, never once in any location have I been able to set home point, I tried it after on three different android phones and they could all get RC home point location within 1 minute of taking off in the exact same location. I even tried using google maps while using djugo4 on the iPhone X without being able to update the home point to RC location while in google maps of course I could see that my iPhone as getting my location precise to a couple of meters. so the issue is clearly the way DJIGO4 communicates with the iOS devices as all iPad, iPhone users from 7, 8 ,x, 11 etc are all saying the same thing. and yes I have DJIGO 4 location permission set to ALWAYS.  so please DJI fix this, I don't want to have to go and buy and androad to fly from car / boats. I shoot at sea always and almost lost the drone several times because I'm not able to use return to home. please update us when you will fix the app.

in the meantime though, if any forum users have cheap andrid tablet that can do this please let me know which one, was looking at the T3 or something like that temporary

"This is OBVIOUSLY a DJI GO 4 issue - iOS."

Nope, it is an Apple issue, has been since DJI first started. Go whinge to Apple.

2020-8-20
Use props
Chook
lvl.2
Flight distance : 999708 ft
Australia

I have the same issue.  Tagging to follow.
2020-10-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules