Charging Osmo Pocket with 240v (Tanzania)
2138 5 2019-1-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Moni Johnson
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1375846 ft
  • >>>
United States

Good morning, all. As I have never traveled to Africa before, I have no idea where else to look for this information. So, please forgive me if this info is readily available elsewhere. I am planning to take my Osmo Pocket with me to Tanzania. Will I need simply an adapter for my charging bank plug or will I need an actual power converter (if so, what type?)? I am using a standard plug for US outlets now.

Thank you for any insight.

2019-1-6
Use props
Moni Johnson
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Please disregard. I do not see a way to edit this post via a mobile browser.

I was just informed that the compound in Tanzania will have everything I need for my electronic devices.
2019-1-6
Use props
DJI-Osmo-User-1
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Moni Johnson Posted at 1-6 05:57
Please disregard. I do not see a way to edit this post via a mobile browser.

I was just informed that the compound in Tanzania will have everything I need for my electronic devices.

If you do get stuck you could take one of these

Sorry couldn’t resist, as I see you have now solved your own problem.
2019-1-6
Use props
Moni Johnson
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

DJI-Osmo-User-1 Posted at 1-6 06:14
If you do get stuck you could take one of these
  [view_image]

Haha. That would be awesome to see the looks on people's faces when I'm explaining why I brought that along.

"It's so I can charge this."
[Whips out the tiny, little Osmo Pocket.]
2019-1-6
Use props
CruiseHabit
lvl.3
Flight distance : 93225 ft
  • >>>
United States

In the event you find yourself elsewhere with only 220/240v here is a quick explanation:

The Osmo Pocket charges via USB, so really the question is do you have a USB power block that accepts 220/240 (the US uses 110/120).  The great news is that most things manufactured in the past 5-10 years are dual voltage - they'll accept either.  This is because we largely use switching power supplies rather than those using wire-wound transformers (in short, better tech).  This technology is handy for manufacturers, as they now need fewer versions of products than in years past.

You'll need to look at labels though, as there are still some wire-wound transformers out there as well as things that are directly powered (thing, heat-generating gear like irons, coffee makers, etc) that are not dual voltage.

To use dual voltage gear, you'll still need an adapter for the plug, but not a power converter (which are larger, more expensive, and vary in capacity).  

I show examples of the labeling you can look for on your devices at the below link.  Please note I'm sharing as I have info relevant to the original question here - not trying to sell people an adapter (not exactly the ideal audience, I got bigger fish to fry).  Further, Tanzania uses type G and D plugs - not the same as in Europe, so this adapter doesn't work - but again, the information is still relevant.  One of the two plus used in Tanzania is the same used in the UK, so a UK adapter could be handy for you to have.
https://shop.cruisehabit.com/pro ... s-in-your-stateroom

I hope this helps clarify things - reach out with any questions!

2019-1-6
Use props
Moni Johnson
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

CruiseHabit Posted at 1-6 07:46
In the event you find yourself elsewhere with only 220/240v here is a quick explanation:

The Osmo Pocket charges via USB, so really the question is do you have a USB power block that accepts 220/240 (the US uses 110/120).  The great news is that most things manufactured in the past 5-10 years are dual voltage - they'll accept either.  This is because we largely use switching power supplies rather than those using wire-wound transformers (in short, better tech).  This technology is handy for manufacturers, as they now need fewer versions of products than in years past.

That's great information! Thank you very much.
2019-1-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules