Advice Please
817 17 2019-1-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Gazmg
Second Officer
Flight distance : 195358 ft
United Kingdom

Attached a picture of our local park today,it looks over exposed as in not much colour ? Any thoughts ? Most are set to Auto setings....

Park.jpg
2019-1-6
Use props
ShadyDealer
Second Officer
Flight distance : 983428 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Don't find auto on the MP1 to be very accurate. I tend to manually select 'Cloudy' 'sunny' etc then tweak if needed.
2019-1-6
Use props
Flattman
lvl.4
United States

Maybe an ND filter would help?
2019-1-6
Use props
M2Wair
First Officer
Flight distance : 1192231 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Use manual, set exposure warning zebras, use ND filter will assist.
2019-1-6
Use props
Gazmg
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Comments welcome, which nd filter i have 4 of them?
2019-1-6
Use props
M2Wair
First Officer
Flight distance : 1192231 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Gazmg Posted at 1-6 09:46
Comments welcome, which nd filter i have 4 of them?

ND to use depends on how bright the light is! I generally use from ND16 to ND32 during summer but have used ND64 overseas
2019-1-6
Use props
Gazmg
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Well here in UK its either cloudy or sunny...Pic taken today cloudy...
2019-1-6
Use props
Alex B.
Second Officer
Flight distance : 21105262 ft

Spain

The sky is a bit overexposed. Use an Nd filter and manual settings for the best results.

Fly safely
Alex
2019-1-6
Use props
AG0N-Gary
First Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

In that photo, you have many choices of things to expose for.  You can't expose for all of them.  If you tap on the sky, the exposure will decrease to more or less properly expose the sky.  The grassy foreground will turn darker, and depending on how dark it goes, will have richer color.  You'll lose detail in very dark areas, but that is the price you pay for exposing for the sky.  You can also compromise to get a little darker sky, still losing details in the whites, increase the richness of the color and slightly darken the darks, and go from there.  A ND filter will liven up the color most of the time and darken all areas some.  It will likely help the contrast.  You need to read up on exposure and start practicing with manually setting it.  In tough situations like this where you have a wide lattitude of light, you can gain some from using Auto Exp, but, as you can see, some parts will suffer.  One trick for auto exposure is to be sure to not look at brightly lit objects with the majority of the frame.  In other words, pan down and keep most of the sky out of the frame.
2019-1-6
Use props
RayZorFist
lvl.2
Flight distance : 64793 ft
United States

I'm not sure your level of photography experience.

I'd say your exposure is pretty close to spot-on. The bright area of the cloudy sky is filling the sensor with light and that contributes to decreased contrast overall.

If you are fairly new to photography look up the exposure triangle of shutter speed, aperture, and ISO to get a better handle on how these three items work together.

To build on what AG0N-Gary said...

Auto exposure wants to see everything at what is known in the photography world as 18% gray. Look that up too if you are not familiar with that term.

That means if the scene is bright the exposure is decreased (either faster shutter speed or lower ISO or smaller aperture). The opposite is true if a scene is mostly dark. Then the auto exposure slows down the shutter or widens the aperture or increases the ISO.

I'm not sure how much of the sensor area is used to determine auto exposure so I'm guessing the grass is mostly used as the area the system decided to use.

If you are wanting "more" out of your photos consider using RAW mode and using software such as Photoshop or Lightroom or Pixelmator or Affinity Photo and using the tools there to help "develop" the image to the look you are wanting.

Let me know if you want more info on the photography aspect. I've been taking photos professionally for 18 years.

Cheers!
TJ
2019-1-6
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

Gazmg Posted at 1-6 10:26
Well here in UK its either cloudy or sunny...Pic taken today cloudy...

Cloudy vs. sunny days have an effect on overall Color Temperature of photos.
Clear Day, Sun Above  --- 5,000-6,500k
Heavily Overcast or Shade --- 9,000-10000k

Differences in Color Temp can make a picture appear to be under or over exposed, along with appearing unsaturated (dull) in color.
2019-1-6
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

RayZorFist Posted at 1-6 13:16
I'm not sure your level of photography experience.

I'd say your exposure is pretty close to spot-on. The bright area of the cloudy sky is filling the sensor with light and that contributes to decreased contrast overall.

Another RAW photo editor that is gaining popularity is ON1 (2019 version).
2019-1-6
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

If you are on auto: set your ev compensation to -1.
That works best for me on Mavic Pro.

Only very rarely you will need ND filters for photography.
Make sure you try the -1 first before buying!
2019-1-6
Use props
jacksonnai
Captain
Malaysia

Try manual setting, and ND filter will help as well
2019-1-7
Use props
theothernt
Second Officer
Flight distance : 436171 ft
Ireland

Given all the replies so far, would you like advice on how to take better photos in full-auto mode or are you looking to learn more about the best settings in manual mode?
2019-1-7
Use props
Ridg
Second Officer
Flight distance : 232306 ft
United Kingdom

If you're on Auto mode please ignore all the comments regarding ND filters

In auto mode the drone looks at the scene and tried to expose for the average, using an ND filter will get you the same result but using a longer shutter speed (as the ND filter lets less light in).

In your photo, the sky is well over exposed but the rest of the scene the grass is slightly over exposed and the buildings look about right.  The reason for this is the dynamic range of the Mavic isn't great this means it can't capture a massive range of brightness's.

In this situation you could add about -1/3  exposure compensation this would dial the exposure back slightly.  

If you were shooting mainly sky then you'd find the image would be underexposed as the drone would see all the white sky and dial it back, here you would need to add exposure compensation.

Please see the following on exposure comp
https://digital-photography-scho ... l-of-your-exposure/

Regarding ND filters, these are essentially like sun glasses, you only really need them if you're shooting in very very very bright conditions or you want to slow the shutter down e.g. long exposure / drop the frame rate when recording video
2019-1-7
Use props
Brett Brandon
lvl.4
United States

The new CAPTCHA crap is the last straw.
Im tired of DJIs crap and am removing my posts and will be on my way.
2019-1-7
Use props
Brett Brandon
lvl.4
United States

The new CAPTCHA crap is the last straw.
Im tired of DJIs crap and am removing my posts and will be on my way.
2019-1-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules