Osmo Pocket Lens Scratch
12Next >
14765 46 2019-1-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
AmaDee
lvl.3
United States

Hey guys, this is my first DJI product and really enjoying it so far. Took it hiking with me this morning and wanted to try our the motion timlapse when I reached the top of the trail. Work fine but since accessories are not out yet, I relied on letting the Pocket stand on its own on a flat surface/concrete bench. The Pocket tipped over, gimbal works fine still but I did notice some scratches on the lens.

Are the lenses easily can be damaged like that? Even on drones?

Im just now ordering some lens protector to hopefully avoid any more scratches.
2019-1-6
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day AmaDee. I am sorry to know that the lens of your DJI Osmo Pocket got scratched. If the scratch on the lens affect the images taken by the DJI Osmo Pocket. The best thing you need to do is to contact DJI Support at https://www.dji.com/support for additional help. If you have any other concerns or inquiries. Please feel free to post it at DJI Forum. We are here to help you.
2019-1-6
Use props
WebParrot
First Officer
Flight distance : 23625 ft
  • >>>
United States

Sorry to hear ... :-(  Thanks for sharing your misfortune, and yes, it's pretty easy to scratch even a coated lens.  Actually the lens is unlikely undamaged, more likely the outer glass which can be replaced.  FWIW, this is one of the reasons I would recommend purchasing the "Shield" product.  As DJI Stephen suggests, contact Support (link at the bottom of this page).  I would start a Chat session and, if possible, share a photo with them.  Maybe there's an easy repair/replacement that can occur.  Keep us posted in case someone else has the same misfortune.
2019-1-6
Use props
JetBeh
lvl.4

China

i think the glass of the lens could be damdaged easily. cuz i used to clean it with lens cloth,then I found some scratches one the lens. I tried
2019-1-7
Use props
JetBeh
lvl.4

China

JetBeh Posted at 1-7 00:56
i think the glass of the lens could be damdaged easily. cuz i used to clean it with lens cloth,then I found some scratches one the lens. I tried

I tried to use lens protector. But the light in the pictures looks weird sometimes.
2019-1-7
Use props
AmaDee
lvl.3
United States

JetBeh Posted at 1-7 01:12
I tried to use lens protector. But the light in the pictures looks weird sometimes.

Removed mine as well. The ND filters felt too loose with when attached with the lens protector on.  
2019-1-16
Use props
UweE
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1016775 ft
  • >>>
Germany

AmaDee Posted at 1-16 21:22
Removed mine as well. The ND filters felt too loose with when attached with the lens protector on.

maybe there will be a protection filter available in future
2019-1-17
Use props
A.L./Nederland
lvl.1
Netherlands

Hello, i am André and i put a photo from my Osmo Pocket lens in this massage. I use the O. Pocket now for a month and there are many damages on the glas. And i think it are no scratchen because i don’t feel scratchen.  
I hope the photo will be a picture because i see a link. I wait and see.

André
2019-4-8
Use props
Oh-no
lvl.4
Hong Kong

From time to time, blow clean the hard case interior where the lens rest on the cloth like lining, dust, debris caught at there might scratch the lens as it rest firmly on it, magnetic filter(s) might cause additional damage if the magnet caught some metal dust on it ..... handle with care.
2019-4-8
Use props
Stuge234
lvl.3
India

A.L./Nederland Posted at 4-8 00:38
[view_image]

Hello, i am André and i put a photo from my Osmo Pocket lens in this massage. I use the O. Pocket now for a month and there are many damages on the glas. And i think it are no scratchen because i don’t feel scratchen.  

opps !

Do you notice any flaring issue while shooting bright light i.e sun or moon ?
2019-4-8
Use props
Stuge234
lvl.3
India

Oh-no Posted at 4-8 01:16
From time to time, blow clean the hard case interior where the lens rest on the cloth like lining, dust, debris caught at there might scratch the lens as it rest firmly on it, magnetic filter(s) might cause additional damage if the magnet caught some metal dust on it ..... handle with care.

I use Rocket blower everyday to blow off debris that might have stuck to gimbal or inside the velvet material of the case
2019-4-8
Use props
Sircoynie
lvl.2
Flight distance : 170676 ft
United Kingdom

DJI Stephen Posted at 1-6 14:54
Hello and good day AmaDee. I am sorry to know that the lens of your DJI Osmo Pocket got scratched. If the scratch on the lens affect the images taken by the DJI Osmo Pocket. The best thing you need to do is to contact DJI Support at https://www.dji.com/support for additional help. If you have any other concerns or inquiries. Please feel free to post it at DJI Forum. We are here to help you.

Can you confirm what material the lens glass actually is? Seems a lot of people are now having issues with scratching?
2019-4-8
Use props
Joemar7
lvl.4
  • >>>
American Samoa

On an older thread, a user shared that DJI was charging him an arm and a leg to replace the lens protector.  Why can't DJI design a removable lens cover like the newer GoPros have.  Those GoPro lens covers cost less than $20 bucks and are easy to replace.  I know I know, this isn't a GoPro forum... just saying so we take good care of our beloved OP.  
2019-4-8
Use props
Jakab Gipsz
Second Officer

Hungary

A.L./Nederland Posted at 4-8 00:38
[view_image]

Hello, i am André and i put a photo from my Osmo Pocket lens in this massage. I use the O. Pocket now for a month and there are many damages on the glas. And i think it are no scratchen because i don’t feel scratchen.  

These are not scratches on the glass material, but scratches on the metal vapor coating on it.
2019-4-8
Use props
Jakab Gipsz
Second Officer

Hungary

Sircoynie Posted at 4-8 12:52
Can you confirm what material the lens glass actually is? Seems a lot of people are now having issues with scratching?

These are not scratches on the glass material, but scratches on the metal vapor coating on it.
2019-4-8
Use props
A.L./Nederland
lvl.1
Netherlands

I just made this picture. I think it looks OK.

André
2019-4-9
Use props
El Diabolico
Second Officer

Germany

Jakab Gipsz Posted at 4-8 14:11

The lens coating on the OP scratches in an unacceptable way. I have 30 year old lenses that look better than the pocket... just by putting filters on it you get scratches. Some folks got scratches from dust in the cloth alone. I've been a DJI fan for many years and this is the 1st time something with this low quality control hits the market. In another thread, a user paid 170$ to replace the lens if I remember correctly.

Closing, coating damage can introduce unwanted ghost and flares in certain circumstances. DJI should issue a free replacement immediately and obviously use some better hardening process or a different glass. As a general rule, coatings are only as durable as the material underneath them.
2019-4-10
Use props
Stuge234
lvl.3
India

A.L./Nederland Posted at 4-9 03:07
[view_image]

I just made this picture. I think it looks OK.

Seems ok without any introduction of some bright source of light .You might end up with lens flaring if you point it towards moon or sun or some street lights due to scratched coating .
2019-4-10
Use props
Stuge234
lvl.3
India

El Diabolico Posted at 4-10 01:05
The lens coating on the OP scratches in an unacceptable way. I have 30 year old lenses that look better than the pocket... just by putting filters on it you get scratches. Some folks got scratches from dust in the cloth alone. I've been a DJI fan for many years and this is the 1st time something with this low quality control hits the market. In another thread, a user paid 170$ to replace the lens if I remember correctly.

Closing, coating damage can introduce unwanted ghost and flares in certain circumstances. DJI should issue a free replacement immediately and obviously use some better hardening process or a different glass. As a general rule, coatings are only as durable as the material underneath them.

" just by putting filters on it you get scratches."

Where ? any link to this issue ?

2019-4-10
Use props
El Diabolico
Second Officer

Germany

Stuge234 Posted at 4-10 22:32
" just by putting filters on it you get scratches."

There are many threads with this issue, you are actually reading one so I don't understand your question... in any case:
https://forum.dji.com/thread-181799-1-1.html
https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=183871
https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=183166&extra=page%3D6%26filter%3Dtypeid%26typeid%3D549%26typeid%3D549

It seems that the lens cover coating is very soft and gets scratched extremely easily. I scratched mine with my Skyreat filters, 1st time I used them! PolarPro have a rubber protection around the frame but there have been cases that debris watch cached in the magnets and also scratched the lens. I bought them and haven't noticed any new scratches since BUT  I take extreme care of my equipment.

IMO, they are using some kind of coated Plexiglas, I've never seen anything scratching so easily in my 20+ years as a photographer... unacceptable IMO. as the price for repairing it (I believe someone paid 170€ for a new lens).
2019-4-10
Use props
Stuge234
lvl.3
India

El Diabolico Posted at 4-10 23:08
There are many threads with this issue, you are actually reading one so I don't understand your question... in any case:
https://forum.dji.com/thread-181799-1-1.html
https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=183871
that's what I was looking for related to filter scratching the front lens or removing the coat.

Thanks for sharing.
2019-4-11
Use props
cEQtBhqjyKJB
lvl.3
Canada

Stuge234 Posted at 4-11 02:59
that's what I was looking for related to filter scratching the front lens or removing the coat.

I wonder if the Osmo shield would replace the OP for this reason alone?
2019-4-11
Use props
Stuge234
lvl.3
India

cEQtBhqjyKJB Posted at 4-11 17:22
I wonder if the Osmo shield would replace the OP for this reason alone?
No idea ,I don't have Sheild as it's only valid for US .

Btw ,I can see the reason ,why those filters might scratch the surface of the glass .As these filters uses magnetic mechanism to stick to the glass or lens of osmo pocket .Over the course of time or even after few uses magnet will definitely scratch the surface or damage coating on the glass.I feel its a poor thought out design just like connection between osmo and cellphone using the supplied dongle .Such mechanism can work well with drones ,since people won't be removing and putting filter back again and again .
2019-4-11
Use props
El Diabolico
Second Officer

Germany

Stuge234 Posted at 4-11 02:59

You are welcome ;)
2019-4-15
Use props
FFS
lvl.3
Flight distance : 50003 ft
  • >>>
Japan

Glad to see this is not just my experience. My Pocket keeps getting scratches on the glass and I keep thinking “Dang I need to be more careful.” followed by “Wait a minute, I AM careful with all my cameras, and they don’t get these kind of scratches!”
Heck, I am a long time user of various 360 cameras like the Insta 360, Ricoh Theta, and Rylo cameras and they never recieved this kind of scratching despite their bulbous protruding lenses.

Considering the device has the name “pocket” in it’s name which will no doubt recieve the kind of casual use that may recieve some slightly rough treatment I have a feeling DJI will be getting a LOT of complaints of this kind as the Pocket’s life goes on.
2019-4-17
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

FFS Posted at 4-17 08:32
Glad to see this is not just my experience. My Pocket keeps getting scratches on the glass and I keep thinking “Dang I need to be more careful.” followed by “Wait a minute, I AM careful with all my cameras, and they don’t get these kind of scratches!”
Heck, I am a long time user of various 360 cameras like the Insta 360, Ricoh Theta, and Rylo cameras and they never recieved this kind of scratching despite their bulbous protruding lenses.

Thanks but I wouldn’t wish it on my worst enemy ;+). Seriously I have same problems lens cover coating is a disaster, I haven’t noticed any problems with photo or video so far.
I read somewhere dji will change the lens glass cover for €70 which is an absolute disgrace .
2019-4-17
Use props
berlinwall
lvl.1
Germany

This is the reason why I don't use my OP anymore. All filters I tried added new scratches, even the Polar Pro filters. I am so sick of this camera. And they want about 170 dollars for replacement which will not help at all if you get the same cheap lens cover. I certainly will not buy any products by DJI anymore.
2019-4-17
Use props
berlinwall
lvl.1
Germany

And I have to add that I am very careful with my gear and never had scratches in 20 years. With the OP I was not thinking about composition or anything creative anymore. I was only thinking about how to avoid scratches and cleaning the filters. Such a shame because with a better lens protection glass the OP would have been such a nice camera. Rather ridiculous how DJI made this product useless. At least for me - I really hope the rest of you have more fun than I had.
2019-4-17
Use props
andrei193
Second Officer
Flight distance : 240856 ft
Romania

I have no problem with the lens scratching (even when using filters - I use the PolarPro ones) altough I adopt these general rules regarding maintanance:
- I perform a general OP and lens clean once a week (depending on usage it can be longer than a week or sooner if I accidentally put a fingerprint on it);
- for cleaning I use the following materials: 1 cotton swab, a non-alcoholic camera lens cleaning solution, a good lens cleaning cloth and a lenspen (I have one with two heads and a soft brush - one for camera lens and one for the phone lens), air blower pump (not the spray one);
- first, I air blow the lens using the pump -> then I gently apply the soft brush -> after this, I air blow it once again -> after this, I spray the cleaning solution on the cotton swab and gently clean the surface lens area -> after this I take a little corner (folded 2 or 3 times) from the cleaning cloth and gently wipe it, applying maybe a little bit more pressure on the dark edge, after this I air blow the lens surface once again and use the lens pen with the phone cleaning head (Pro Tip - from time to time air blow the lens pen's head as well to make sure no hard small debris is on the surface as it can ruin your lens, and after this don't forget to reload it with the carbon dust provided by the lens pen) -> after this you can air blow it once again as a final step;
- when applying the filters and especially when removing them, be careful and try to not drag it over the lens (try putting it on and removing it like a ketch-up lid).
- one more important step that surely prevents the lens from scratching the lens is regularly checking the case interior to see if any debris got in there -> also air blow the interior (facing down) from time to time.
2019-4-18
Use props
FFS
lvl.3
Flight distance : 50003 ft
  • >>>
Japan

andrei193 Posted at 4-18 00:13
I have no problem with the lens scratching (even when using filters - I use the PolarPro ones) altough I adopt these general rules regarding maintanance:
- I perform a general OP and lens clean once a week (depending on usage it can be longer than a week or sooner if I accidentally put a fingerprint on it);
- for cleaning I use the following materials: 1 cotton swab, a non-alcoholic camera lens cleaning solution, a good lens cleaning cloth and a lenspen (I have one with two heads and a soft brush - one for camera lens and one for the phone lens), air blower pump (not the spray one);

These are helpful tips. I thought I would add a few more that I have found prevent scratches:

-Try to wear gloves while operating the pocket whenever possible. Regular gloves have lots of lint so it is better to use surgical gloves, or the types that apraisers use to handle delicate items on antiques road show.
- If possible, try not to use the pocket in any situations that might introduce dust or debris. Natural and urban scenes have tons of this stuff, so I prefer to shoot indoors within an computer chip manufacturer’s clean room, but I know this might not be accessible to everyone.
- Lastly, try your best to shoot video without picking up the Pocket or handling it in any way. In fact I have heard that one of the best methods to prevent scratches is to leave the Pocket in it’s original packaging, shrink-wrapped.
2019-4-22
Use props
DJI-Osmo-User-1
Second Officer
United Kingdom

It may or may not be any helpful information BUT in the past with Sony cameras using ZEISS wet lens wipes completely destroyed the rear LCD coating which looked exactly the same as some of the examples in this thread. I now no longer use ZEISS wet wipes on items with coatings, the problem also exists which aftershave, perfume or makeup, it will destroy your coatings.

Obviously your unlikely to have your face on the osmo lens like you would with an LCD of a camera but a rocket blower and proper cloth and breath are all I now use.
2019-4-22
Use props
BeterBan
lvl.4
Austria

For some cameras SONY used a terrible coating for touch screens. But you could buy
new screen cover for few $s. I never used ZEISS wet lens wipes. Coating was trash!

2019-4-22
Use props
robomaniac
lvl.2
Canada

BeterBan Posted at 4-22 12:01
For some cameras SONY used a terrible coating for touch screens. But you could buy
new screen cover for few $s. I never used ZEISS wet lens wipes. Coating was trash!

omg! Sony TX9, that brings good memories! haha

I also have scratch on the coating of my osmo pocket. I don't care. I will care the moment it affect my videos.
2019-4-22
Use props
andrei193
Second Officer
Flight distance : 240856 ft
Romania

FFS Posted at 4-22 09:49
These are helpful tips. I thought I would add a few more that I have found prevent scratches:

-Try to wear gloves while operating the pocket whenever possible. Regular gloves have lots of lint so it is better to use surgical gloves, or the types that apraisers use to handle delicate items on antiques road show.

I see you are trying to be funny ...Try harder. Sarcasm is very tough to pull off without making yourself sound like a jerk.
2019-4-22
Use props
El Diabolico
Second Officer

Germany

hallmark007 Posted at 4-17 11:13
Thanks but I wouldn’t wish it on my worst enemy ;+). Seriously I have same problems lens cover coating is a disaster, I haven’t noticed any problems with photo or video so far.
I read somewhere dji will change the lens glass cover for €70 which is an absolute disgrace .

Plus labor, + ... One user paid 170€ for the replacement!
2019-4-23
Use props
El Diabolico
Second Officer

Germany

andrei193 Posted at 4-18 00:13
I have no problem with the lens scratching (even when using filters - I use the PolarPro ones) altough I adopt these general rules regarding maintanance:
- I perform a general OP and lens clean once a week (depending on usage it can be longer than a week or sooner if I accidentally put a fingerprint on it);
- for cleaning I use the following materials: 1 cotton swab, a non-alcoholic camera lens cleaning solution, a good lens cleaning cloth and a lenspen (I have one with two heads and a soft brush - one for camera lens and one for the phone lens), air blower pump (not the spray one);

You WILL scratch the lens coatings eventually., it is so soft that it scratches by looking at it for more than 3mn... I am obsessed with my photo / video equipment and I follow the same routine as you (except I don't use the lens pen, it drags all dust in the surface).

I  initially noticed a couple of tiny scratches (actually they were so tiny I thought it was dust underneath the glass) before even purchasing any filters. Skyreat finished scratching my OP just from the magnet strip making contact with the lens, no drag, no readjusting upon installation or removal.

My personal opinion is that it is made from some kind of Plexiglas or soft mineral glass. Definitely not high grade photographic glass. Vapor coatings as only as strong as their base.
2019-4-23
Use props
El Diabolico
Second Officer

Germany

FFS Posted at 4-22 09:49

-Try to wear gloves while operating the pocket whenever possible. Regular gloves have lots of lint so it is better to use surgical gloves, or the types that apraisers use to handle delicate items on antiques road show.

Hilarious... lol
2019-4-23
Use props
El Diabolico
Second Officer

Germany

DJI-Osmo-User-1 Posted at 4-22 10:21
It may or may not be any helpful information BUT in the past with Sony cameras using ZEISS wet lens wipes completely destroyed the rear LCD coating which looked exactly the same as some of the examples in this thread. I now no longer use ZEISS wet wipes on items with coatings, the problem also exists which aftershave, perfume or makeup, it will destroy your coatings.

Obviously your unlikely to have your face on the osmo lens like you would with an LCD of a camera but a rocket blower and proper cloth and breath are all I now use.

Zeiss wipes are perfectly fine for all photographic equipment!

The lens solution they use is extremely mild. I use their cleaning kits for more than 10 years without any problems at all. Now, there are Zeiss wipes for cleaning computers and normal glasses that do contain some kind of alcohol / solvents. Those are extremely cheap and can be bought in the V-Markt here in Germany (Supermarket). if someone decides to clean their OP with those well... good luck.
2019-4-23
Use props
El Diabolico
Second Officer

Germany

robomaniac Posted at 4-22 16:44
omg! Sony TX9, that brings good memories! haha

I also have scratch on the coating of my osmo pocket. I don't care. I will care the moment it affect my videos.

For now it is ONLY affecting your resale value...
2019-4-23
Use props
Peter Drone
lvl.1

United States

Hi anybody know quote costs to fix a shattered lens on Osmo pocket please let me know thank you !!!!!
2019-5-28
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules