Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Osmo Pocket for Basketball games ?
11482 14 2019-1-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Haz (albuquerque NM)
lvl.4
Flight distance : 497421 ft
  • >>>
United States

We record my sons basketball games with my wifes cellphone I was thinking about getting a osmo pocket to take the place of the cellphone for better video. I wanted to know is the view angle wide enough to pickup most of the court ? Is anyone else using the osmo pocket to film sporting events ?

2019-1-6
Use props
WebParrot
Second Officer
Flight distance : 23625 ft
  • >>>
United States

Kind of depends on where you sitting, courtside versus nose-bleed section.  I don't see why you couldn't choose seats higher up and simply pan the area of active play.  Hope that makes sense.
2019-1-6
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
lvl.4

United Kingdom

I haven't tried basketball but have tried people running around randomly. The tracking works well but be prepared to have to switch the tracking from one person to another quickly or the camera may end up following people not in play. As WebParrot say's, being further away may be an advantage. I think the footage will be more stable than from a phone but more troublesome to track. You may also end up having to connect it to a phone to get a better view of what you are capturing and that will drain the Osmos battery considerably and shortening its record time. Possibly to less than 40 minutes. That means connecting to the phone via one USB port and connecting an external portable power supply to the other Osmo USB port to have enough power to last a complete game. I have similar problems power problems covering local events. Last but not least and I haven't tried this yet, but expect the Osmo Pocket to heat up if running continuously for any length of time. My clips normally last less than a few minutes at a time, even if I then record another sequence a few seconds later.
2019-1-7
Use props
Haz (albuquerque NM)
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Thanks all camera works great for filming my sons games . I still use the phone as a screen though as the pockets screen is a little to small.
2019-1-12
Use props
txtechnonerd
lvl.4
Flight distance : 175075 ft
  • >>>
United States

I'd be very concerned with lighting. Most gyms I've been to are like camera cancer in terms of consistent lighting from the stands.
2019-1-13
Use props
theprisoner6666
lvl.3
Hong Kong

The OP has a focal length equivalent of around 23mm on an APS-C camera (the most common type of budget DSLR), so if you have taken any pictures with this focal length, or know a friend with a DSLR/Mirrorless camera and a lens that can achieve this focal length, then try it out.

Good luck.
2019-1-13
Use props
darrins
lvl.4
United States

All I can say is I have shot videos of my son playing basketball now for a couple of years. I have used a Zhiyun Crane and a Sony a9, a Sony RX100 VI with a Zhiyun Crane Plus and a Feiyu Tech G6+, an iPhone X and XS Max with an Osmo Mobile 1 and 2 and a Freefly Movi Cinema Robot, have also used a GoPro Hero 7 Black with a Karma Grip and now the Osmo Pocket. Starting with the weight and simplicity, my favorite device for this is the OP. The gyms my son has played in have terrible lighting. If I was to shoot stills, I would have to use my a9 with a super fast prime lens, like the 85 1.4. Any f stop above 2.0 will have too much noise and the result is lousy. The a9 and RX100 have the advantage that they dont have a fixed lens, but they weigh more and take longer to setup and breakdown. Also, they are way more distracting and attention grabbing. In my opinion, the results from the OP are stunning, given the poor lighting and the mere size of the unit. I’m going to link a quick video from yesterday’s practice. I shot this in 4k60 on the pro setting with auto focus single because of the focus pumping issue with AFC. I had my iPhone attached to the OP and at the beginning of the practice game when they did the jump ball, I tapped in the center of the screen. This isn’t the best sample because my son (no. 7) was on the far side of the court the whole time, but it’s good enough. Also, when I uploaded this clip to Vimeo they obviously compress the video because at the beginning there are a lot of artifacts that aren’t in the original that is on my Mac and iPad. I did nothing to the video in post except trim the length and add a fade to the end. All I can say is I love the OP, don’t care if I am a beta tester, and am confident DJI will iron out the kinks. I would prefer to have it now and play with it during development than wait for so called perfection.
2019-1-21
Use props
edwardyyy
lvl.4
Hong Kong

For Fun:  dji Osmo Pocket was hit by a tennis ball 4K

2019-1-21
Use props
Haz (albuquerque NM)
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

darrins Posted at 1-21 20:54
All I can say is I have shot videos of my son playing basketball now for a couple of years. I have used a Zhiyun Crane and a Sony a9, a Sony RX100 VI with a Zhiyun Crane Plus and a Feiyu Tech G6+, an iPhone X and XS Max with an Osmo Mobile 1 and 2 and a Freefly Movi Cinema Robot, have also used a GoPro Hero 7 Black with a Karma Grip and now the Osmo Pocket. Starting with the weight and simplicity, my favorite device for this is the OP. The gyms my son has played in have terrible lighting. If I was to shoot stills, I would have to use my a9 with a super fast prime lens, like the 85 1.4. Any f stop above 2.0 will have too much noise and the result is lousy. The a9 and RX100 have the advantage that they dont have a fixed lens, but they weigh more and take longer to setup and breakdown. Also, they are way more distracting and attention grabbing. In my opinion, the results from the OP are stunning, given the poor lighting and the mere size of the unit. I’m going to link a quick video from yesterday’s practice. I shot this in 4k60 on the pro setting with auto focus single because of the focus pumping issue with AFC. I had my iPhone attached to the OP and at the beginning of the practice game when they did the jump ball, I tapped in the center of the screen. This isn’t the best sample because my son (no. 7) was on the far side of the court the whole time, but it’s good enough. Also, when I uploaded this clip to Vimeo they obviously compress the video because at the beginning there are a lot of artifacts that aren’t in the original that is on my Mac and iPad. I did nothing to the video in post except trim the length and add a fade to the end. All I can say is I love the OP, don’t care if I am a beta tester, and am confident DJI will iron out the kinks. I would prefer to have it now and play with it during development than wait for so called perfection.
https://vimeo.com/312656933

Thanks for your input. Are you using the Dji software to edit your videos?
2019-1-22
Use props
darrins
lvl.4
United States

Haz (albuquerque NM) Posted at 1-22 05:43
Thanks for your input. Are you using the Dji software to edit your videos?

No. I connect the OP to my Mac and pull the files off the card and then use Final Cut Pro to edit. But I don’t edit the video or colors in any way, just use FCP to trim and piece together footage. For some videos I do add graphics or text and maybe some music or sound effects, but I find the video from the OP is perfect. So, I think however you cut or edit the video, you’ll be happy. I tend to cut into very short clips.
2019-1-22
Use props
Papachylo
lvl.2

United Kingdom

The rating on steam depends on how often you are given respect in games. When my account was stolen, I was not upset and Buy Steam Accounts again. By the way, what games do you play most often? I like to play CSGO with my friends.
2021-7-25
Use props
besthyiptemplate
New

Bangladesh

Such a place on the Web was very necessary and I am glad that I discovered it. Now I will be checking back often, because I think the next articles will be just as interesting!  buy hyip
2022-6-19
Use props
AmmyRoy
lvl.1

Pakistan

I hope you love all types of games then you must play an action play Stumble Guys MOD APK game
2022-8-1
Use props
AmmyRoy
lvl.1

Pakistan

CarX Street is a thrilling and adrenaline-pumping racing game that takes street racing to a whole new level. With the CarX Street Mod Apk (https://guysapk.com/carx-street-apk/), players can experience the excitement of high-speed races, customizing their dream cars, and dominating the urban streets. Unlock an impressive collection of powerful vehicles, upgrade their performance, and show off your driving skills in intense races. The modded version offers additional features, such as unlimited money and resources, allowing players to fully immerse themselves in the world of fast cars and fierce competitions. So, gear up, hit the gas, and leave your rivals in the dust as you become the ultimate street racing champion in CarX Street!

2023-8-2
Use props
AmmyRoy
lvl.1

Pakistan

Download more Android games from here https://guysapk.com/
2023-10-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules