osmo pocket use in aircraft
7213 18 2019-1-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
slypikfox
lvl.3
Flight distance : 161322 ft
Australia

Is anyone else using their pocket in a aircraft ,I am using it in a glider (sailplane) and have some issues .I would like to compare notes with like users
2019-1-7
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Hi, thanks for reaching out DJI Forum. Can you please tell us more about the issue you encountered while using your Osmo Pocket on Glider? Unfortunately, It is not recommended to use the Osmo Pocket while flying in Glider. Please handle it with care to avoid any possible issue. Thanks for your understanding.
2019-1-7
Use props
slypikfox
lvl.3
Australia

Hi The pocket is mounted inside the cockpit by a gopro mount to the canopy ,I had been using it mounted vertically but have found that the gimbal reaches its roll limits very quickly
If mounted horizontal on its left side the roll gimbal is greater so this may fix that issue
The two other issues are drift when circling , in a glider we turn at about 45 degree bank circles of around 150 meters at around 22 seconds per circle , in fast follow mode the gimbal drifts out of the turn and does not catch up with repetitive circling . can the pan be locked?
The other issue is focus In afc it will vary between focus on the instrument panel or outside  . I can set to afs however to touch the screen in bumpy air can be challenging with the little screen  . Is there any chance that a infinity focus setting could be introduced one day , like the gopro have ?
2019-1-7
Use props
NorthTexasAerials
lvl.2
United States

Yeah, I've been using it a bit. I've posted some of it here. It has issues with acceleration and deceleration for sure.
2019-1-7
Use props
carlr
New
Estonia

Same thing happened to me couple days ago.
2019-2-7
Use props
Wiz33
Second Officer
Flight distance : 35994 ft
  • >>>
United States

The OP does not handle lateral g-force well  and any acceleration will cause it to tilt as you can see beginning at the 2:50 mark in this video.

2019-2-7
Use props
carlr
New
Estonia

Similar issues happened to me couple days ago. I am Search and Rescue Helicopter pilot.  I tried my osmo pocket during a flight. Both  “Tilt locked” and “Follow” modes doesn’t work properly when doing roll turns (No steep turns. Less than 20º bank turns always). OP can’t keep horizon leveled. Big problem for me. Other mobile gimbals works perfectly onboard...even with bigger accelerations. For more info do not hesitate to contact me. A FIRMWARE UPDATE IS A MUST.
2019-2-7
Use props
Wiz33
Second Officer
Flight distance : 35994 ft
  • >>>
United States

carlr Posted at 2-7 09:59
Similar issues happened to me couple days ago. I am Search and Rescue Helicopter pilot.  I tried my osmo pocket during a flight. Both  “Tilt locked” and “Follow” modes doesn’t work properly when doing roll turns (No steep turns. Less than 20º bank turns always). OP can’t keep horizon leveled. Big problem for me. Other mobile gimbals works perfectly onboard...even with bigger accelerations. For more info do not hesitate to contact me. A FIRMWARE UPDATE IS A MUST.

Being such a compact unit. The gimbal motor is not very strong. I tired stacking 2 ND filter and that was enough to strain the motors. So even small amount of g-force will be enough to overwhelm the gimbal motor.
2019-2-7
Use props
carlr
New
Estonia

Wiz33 Posted at 2-7 10:14
Being such a compact unit. The gimbal motor is not very strong. I tired stacking 2 ND filter and that was enough to strain the motors. So even small amount of g-force will be enough to overwhelm the gimbal motor.

IMO, it is not a motor size problem.  Doing a coordinate turn (where the acceleration is downward) at low speed (60 knots) the problem is there. No horizon stabilization, especially when leveling the aircraft again.
In fact, when approaching to the heliport, at very low speed (30Knots or less), the problem is still there.
I think it is a firmware problem.
I got a Zhiyun Smooth 3 for my mobile and it works perfectly in any kind of non acrobatic (of course...) turn.
2019-2-7
Use props
slypikfox
lvl.3
Australia

carlr Posted at 2-7 10:41
IMO, it is not a motor size problem.  Doing a coordinate turn (where the acceleration is downward) at low speed (60 knots) the problem is there. No horizon stabilization, especially when leveling the aircraft again.
In fact, when approaching to the heliport, at very low speed (30Knots or less), the problem is still there.
I think it is a firmware problem.

So since the update things are better. Using AFS works well , I'm now using the camera hand held 4k at 60 slow follow and follow mode  which makes the panning shots watchable rather than a blur
I can only use the camera in FPV mode when circling other wise the gimbal loses it and starts looking up at the sky
The quality or the image is great compared to the Gopro  so I will just keep persevering and bettering my technique
I will put a link to my latest flight once I have up loaded it  https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCj6MXSQxcCMBGcvVlQvpoMQ follow this to see some the other gopro and osmo clips
2019-2-9
Use props
OliverR
New
United States

slypikfox Posted at 2-9 15:31
So since the update things are better. Using AFS works well , I'm now using the camera hand held 4k at 60 slow follow and follow mode  which makes the panning shots watchable rather than a blur
I can only use the camera in FPV mode when circling other wise the gimbal loses it and starts looking up at the sky
The quality or the image is great compared to the Gopro  so I will just keep persevering and bettering my technique

I just watched your video and thought that it looks good. Frankly, though, I would rather want to keep the horizon more level. Is there a way to achieve this?

Does somebody else have more recent experience with using the Osmo Pocket in flight?
2019-3-6
Use props
carlr
New
Spain

OliverR Posted at 3-6 07:15
I just watched your video and thought that it looks good. Frankly, though, I would rather want to keep the horizon more level. Is there a way to achieve this?

Does somebody else have more recent experience with using the Osmo Pocket in flight?

Here is an in-flight vídeo recorded today.
Both “Tilt locked” and “Follow” modes does NOT work at all.
This video shows the problem in Follow mode.
Tilt Locked mode is even worse.
It is not a big inertial forces problem. Low speed and low bank angles.
It is not a setup problem.
It is not a calibration problem.
I test the gimbal Both in my hands and attached to the aircraft with gopro accessories. Same result.

I NEED A SOLUTION.

Watch the video here
https://youtu.be/byPSn0NrDoo
2019-4-26
Use props
Dmaff06
lvl.1
United States

i have similar issues when in a hot rod doing the autocross, The G force and hard turns make the same issues occur, Or when we are out on the boat also.
2019-4-26
Use props
DJDream
lvl.3
Israel

What about using FPV? It should be fine with it, isn't it?
2019-4-26
Use props
Ern
lvl.3

United Kingdom

I do not think this will change to any great degree and you will be stuck with these "issues"
This is a gimbal video camera and not an action camera - therefore in my opinion any such issues as seen here are to be expected and DJI are unlikely to be able to "fix" it
I feel sure in DJI eyes there is nothing wrong considering the cameras intended use
The best that can be done is to work out what settings can be fine tuned to give an acceptable result - Or use a go pro !
2019-4-26
Use props
wisniak
lvl.4
Flight distance : 270528 ft
Israel

Hi,

I've read though this interesting post.

I'm considering purchasing the Osmo for use with my LSA plane, to be mounted below the wing.

At the moment I use a TomTom Bandit, which is much heavier and the video quality is reasonable. The Bandit is attached to the bottom of the wing using a standard Gopro holder. The Bandit has a standard adapter to the Gopro holder.
I'm looking for a replacement, was considering the Gopro Hero 7 Black - and then found the Osmo.

When I connect my Bandit to the airplane, I set it a a fixed angle relative ot the ground (I film the scenery, not the cockpit).
I know that it's possible to lock a tilt angle. But I'm not clear on what is the relative horizon that the gimbal will align itself with? Will it keep looking at the specified tilt angle, or will it align itself with with the horizon?

Second question is about the durability of the gimbal mechanism. Our max flight speed is about 120mph. How will it hold up against the relatively strong winds? It was designed for walking/running speeds.
I've looked for some sort of protective cover to be used while the camera is in operation, haven't found one yet.

BTW, even though the Bandit is massive compared ot the Osmo, I barely have vibrations using this setup.

What do you guys think?

Thanks.
2019-5-9
Use props
slypikfox
lvl.3
Australia

Hi Wisniak I don't think the gimbal will handle that air speed , also I still have the gimbal drift when turning ,even in gentle turns it will just drift all over the place .
I use mine in the cockpit hand held while flying straight for forward shots or panning round from wing to wing etc
For this use the gimbal removes the bumps well ,every thing else while flying is a bit crap ,the gopro does much better

I like the osmo on the ground but for air shots its a bit disappointing   
2019-5-9
Use props
wisniak
lvl.4
Flight distance : 270528 ft
Israel

slypikfox Posted at 5-9 14:07
Hi Wisniak I don't think the gimbal will handle that air speed , also I still have the gimbal drift when turning ,even in gentle turns it will just drift all over the place .
I use mine in the cockpit hand held while flying straight for forward shots or panning round from wing to wing etc
For this use the gimbal removes the bumps well ,every thing else while flying is a bit crap ,the gopro does much better

Thank you,
I was about to purchase the GOPRO 7 BLACK when I saw this product.
I watched comparative videos, it seems much better in many aspects.
But the gimbal is the main problem.
2019-5-10
Use props
j.dewey
lvl.1
Flight distance : 120499 ft
United States

DJI could implement a roll-lock in future firmware which would help with lateral force acceleration/deceleration causing the gimbal roll to go completely out of whack.  I'm experiencing same issues trying to shoot timelapse out of airplane windows - see my post about it here roll lock feature request

Obviously if you can toggle tilt lock, DJI can implement locking either of the other two axes as well - just like on a Ronin
2019-5-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules