Osmo Pocket - external mic
23470 26 2019-1-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Bittabola
lvl.1
Canada

Hi all,
I really love the Pocket but need to connect a mic for a clearer sound. Recording sound separately is not a solution for me because I am not looking for a professional solution nor have time or skills to sync them in Premiere. I just use a mobile app to trim and edit my videos.
I quickly browsed the DJI site and couldn't even find the Pocket-to-3.5mm adapter. Are there any adapters in the market that I can use to connect a microphone?
Thanks!

2019-1-7
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day Bittabola. Thank you for bringing this query to us. The 3.5 mm adapter is a USB-type C. As of the time being, the 3.5mm adapter is currently not available. Kindly visit the website for future updates. Thank you for your support.

2019-1-7
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

There is a huge amount of accessories appearing on Amazon at very reasonable prices.
2019-1-7
Use props
Bittabola
lvl.1
Canada

hallmark007 Posted at 1-7 13:07
There is a huge amount of accessories appearing on Amazon at very reasonable prices.

A mic adapter too? Can you please share a link to one?
2019-1-7
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Bittabola Posted at 1-7 14:30
A mic adapter too? Can you please share a link to one?

YUYOUG Type C to 3.5mm Audio Adapter External Wireless Microphone For DJI Osmo Pocket (black) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07M ... p_tai_vx9mCbY5K0V19

Here’s one includes a mic not sure how good it but it might help or at least adapter may help.
2019-1-7
Use props
Holga
lvl.2

United States

hallmark007 Posted at 1-7 14:45
YUYOUG Type C to 3.5mm Audio Adapter External Wireless Microphone For DJI Osmo Pocket (black) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07MDRK3ZB/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_vx9mCbY5K0V19

Here’s one includes a mic not sure how good it but it might help or at least adapter may help.

Will this work? I see these on Ebay as well but I think DJI needs to unlock the mic port or something like that to get it to work.
2019-1-7
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Holga Posted at 1-7 16:19
Will this work? I see these on Ebay as well but I think DJI needs to unlock the mic port or something like that to get it to work.

I can’t say for sure as I don’t have one, but at such a low cost maybe the risk isn’t so great.
2019-1-7
Use props
Holga
lvl.2

United States

I've not seen one working external mic on youtube. I've only seen failures. Chances are you are throwing your money away.
2019-1-7
Use props
Bittabola
lvl.1
Canada

Holga Posted at 1-7 16:32
I've not seen one working external mic on youtube. I've only seen failures. Chances are you are throwing your money away.

Agree, those mic adapters popping up in Amazon have zero feedback from users.
2019-1-8
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Holga Posted at 1-7 16:32
I've not seen one working external mic on youtube. I've only seen failures. Chances are you are throwing your money away.

I won’t be buying it, I found editing in FCPX has made a really good job out of the Audio, I also think much has been made of the sound straight out of Camera and I find most of what I hear to be rubbish, direct sound is pretty good not pro but unless your doing pro work leave as is or just enhance in post.
2019-1-8
Use props
Wizzard005
lvl.1
Flight distance : 13 ft
United States

we just ordered USB-C to 3.5mm adaptor from amazon for a few bucks... I wish DJI even said on their website that it would work, but no info on the site, unless i missed it
2019-1-8
Use props
NoëI
lvl.4

Netherlands

I've tested several USB-C connectors and none worked (see: https://forum.dji.com/thread-174896-1-1.html )
I think that the external mic options has not been enabled till now in the firmware.
2019-1-8
Use props
fansf48d1cdf
lvl.2
Flight distance : 208589 ft
United States

Bittabola Posted at 1-7 14:30
A mic adapter too? Can you please share a link to one?

Ignore the person talking Amazon accessories. As far as I heard, the normal USB-C to 3.5 adaptors DO NOT work with the Osmo... many have tried and failed. You would be wasting money. Don't get me wrong, I wish they did since DJI's long missing official external mic adapter will surely be totally overpriced.
2019-2-7
Use props
kazcow
lvl.4
Flight distance : 454101 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Each 3.5mm - USB-C device is different  - as each of them have its own "sound card" built in. It therefore require the device (Like Osmo Pocket) to be compiled / built with software support (aka driver) for that specific type / range of sound card chips.

The reason they might work on Mac & PC's is they have a big operating system with a LOT of sound card drivers built in. But small devices like Osmo Pocket do not have that ability - there is simply not enough storage on the device to have drivers for all sound chips.

So Osmo Pocket will ONLY support devices that has the SAME chip (or maybe range of) chips that DJI put into their Mic Adapter. DJI might even limit it more by producing private vendor id's for a range of chips - so copying the 3.5mm -> USB C adapter can be "annoying" (but not impossible)  to do for clone producers.

[edit]

sorry I'm slightly wrong. There are provisions for analogue audio but it is a bit of a minefield.

Source : Wiki (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB-C)
Audio Adapter Accessory Mode
A device with a USB-C port may support analog headsets through an audio adapter with a 3.5 mm jack, providing four standard analog audio connections (Left, Right, Microphone, and Ground). The audio adapter may optionally include a USB-C charge-through port to allow 500 mA device charging. The engineering specification states that an analog headset shall not use a USB-C plug instead of a 3.5 mm plug. In other words, headsets with a USB-C plug should always support digital audio (and optionally the accessory mode).[16]
Analog signals use the USB 2.0 differential pairs (Dp and Dn for Right and Left) and the two side-band use pairs for Mic and GND. The presence of the audio accessory is signalled through the configuration channel and VCONN.

Audio Adapter Accessory Mode[edit]
In this mode, all digital circuits are disconnected from the connector, and certain pins become reassigned for analog outputs or inputs. The mode, if supported, is entered when both CC pins are shorted to GND. D- and D+ become audio output left L and right R, respectively. The SBU pins become a microphone pin MIC, and the analog ground AGND, the latter being a return path for both outputs and the microphone. Nevertheless, the MIC and AGND pins must have automatic swap capability, for two reasons: firstly, the USB-C plug may be inserted either side; secondly, there is no agreement, which TRRS rings shall be GND and MIC, so devices equipped with a headphone jack with microphone input must be able to perform this swap anyway.[53]
This mode also allows concurrent charging of a device exposing the analog audio interface (through VBUS and GND), however only at 5 V and 500 mA, as CC pins are unavailable for any negotiation.
GNDTX1+TX1−VBUSCC1RLMICVBUSRX2−RX2+GND
GNDRX1+RX1−VBUSAGNDLRCC2VBUSTX2−TX2+GND
Plug insertions detection is performed by the TRRS plug's physical plug detection switch. On plug insertions, this will pull down both CC and VCONN in the plug (CC1 and CC2 in the receptacle). This resistance must be less than 800ohms which is the minimum "Ra" resistance specified in the USB Type-C specification). This is essentially a direct connection to usb digital ground.

2019-2-7
Use props
hedac
lvl.4
Spain

Why can't we just connect a USB-C mic... the need to adapt to 3.5mm makes it big and not pocket sized.. with the cables and all... I hope there is also a bluetooth mic or something.
2019-2-7
Use props
CruiseHabit
lvl.3
Flight distance : 93225 ft
  • >>>
United States

hedac Posted at 2-7 15:13
Why can't we just connect a USB-C mic... the need to adapt to 3.5mm makes it big and not pocket sized.. with the cables and all... I hope there is also a bluetooth mic or something.

I've been wanting a good TRS or TRSS to BT audio adapter for a long time but no dice so far.  I actually bought a BT board and was going to try and build one, and I still may, but anything I build will be far less compact than something I know there must be some market demand for.  Granted that doesn't mean there'd be OP support for it - that solution was largely for using my phone with a gimbal and not worrying about the cable.
2019-2-7
Use props
Upscaleman
lvl.3
United States

or maybe it's just not active yet and won't be until it receives a FIRMWARE update.
2019-2-7
Use props
RHunt
lvl.2
Flight distance : 486201 ft
United States

DJI Stephen Posted at 1-7 13:02
Hello and good day Bittabola. Thank you for bringing this query to us. The 3.5 mm adapter is a USB-type C. As of the time being, the 3.5mm adapter is currently not available. Kindly visit the website for future updates. Thank you for your support.

[view_image]

Will the 3.5 mm adapter work when plugged into the WiFi base if the Osmo Pocket is placed in the base?
2019-2-22
Use props
pershinK
New

Belarus

Hello, there
need a good sound. But also a big screen is needed.
1) Osmo is connected to the phone via a wireless adapter.
2) an external microphone directly connected to the phone through 3.5 mm (sound is recorded through a separate application)
What do you think?
2019-2-26
Use props
pershinK
New

Belarus

bad idea...
2019-2-26
Use props
BeterBan
lvl.4
Austria

1000's whining cries ... if you REALLY need good sound use a VoiceRecorder for € 10 - € 20 ... with up to 1536 kbps.
It's easy to exchange OP sound track with recorder sound track - recorders have built in 8/16/32 GB, even additional
microSD cards ... more than 500 hours stereo sound in best quality. Power doesn't depend from OP, one battery load
lasts for 100s of hours. USB C connector of OP is free for OP powerbank etc.

2019-2-26
Use props
fansb1a55035
lvl.2

United Kingdom

fansf48d1cdf Posted at 2-7 12:28
Ignore the person talking Amazon accessories. As far as I heard, the normal USB-C to 3.5 adaptors DO NOT work with the Osmo... many have tried and failed. You would be wasting money. Don't get me wrong, I wish they did since DJI's long missing official external mic adapter will surely be totally overpriced.

Got the DJI adapter now, £35 bought a cheap one before which didn't work. 3 different mic's working ok. So far I can't get a microphone working through the bluetooth adapter though which is a shame
2019-4-2
Use props
fansb1a55035
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Got the DJI adapter now, £35 bought a cheap one before which didn't work. 3 different mic's working ok. So far I can't get a microphone working through the bluetooth adapter though which is a shame
2019-4-2
Use props
CruiseHabit
lvl.3
Flight distance : 93225 ft
  • >>>
United States

BeterBan Posted at 2-26 14:32
1000's whining cries ... if you REALLY need good sound use a VoiceRecorder for € 10 - € 20 ... with up to 1536 kbps.
It's easy to exchange OP sound track with recorder sound track - recorders have built in 8/16/32 GB, even additional
microSD cards ... more than 500 hours stereo sound in best quality. Power doesn't depend from OP, one battery load

Keep in mind, many (myself included) use the OP when a highly portable and "quick to production" solution is needed.  If I wanted to carry multiple devices around and sync audio later, I might also be inclined to carry a VIXIA HF G60 or any number of things that would provide superior video and audio.  That isn't helpful if I am at an event where I need to go from shoot to social in 10 minutes.
2019-4-2
Use props
Kim_Igel
lvl.2
Flight distance : 404 ft
Denmark

RHunt Posted at 2-22 19:01
Will the 3.5 mm adapter work when plugged into the WiFi base if the Osmo Pocket is placed in the base?

Nope. I just tried - had the same question. Does not work.
2019-4-11
Use props
BeterBan
lvl.4
Austria

... listen ...

179. wifi module has a CHARGE input
788. wifi module has a CHARGE input
939. wifi module has a CHARGE input

1.001. ----> wifi module has a CHARGE input

there goes no audio out, no audio in!
2019-4-11
Use props
TheBigEddy
lvl.2

Netherlands

Have you guys ever thought about the cable? Use a 3.5mm jack with 2 connection stripes instead of 3. Check: https://youtu.be/_TCguuqxbPQ
2019-6-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules