3139 9 2019-1-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Giammi
Second Officer
Flight distance : 847795 ft
Italy

Hi,

on the official website it is claimed that the osmo pocket is able to shoot up to 2~3 seconds long exposures without using the tripod.
To be very honest I was only able to reach up to 1 second, and not even with every shot. No way I could get a sharp picture from a 2~3 seconds exposure.
So I guess I am doing something wrong such as set some bad parameters in the DJI MIMO app or so.
Any experience from the other users?

Thank you!
2019-1-8
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
Second Officer

United Kingdom

Are you talking about camera blur from movement from the camera or motion blur from subject motion within the frame? Have you tried using the timer before taking an image?
2019-1-8
Use props
Giammi
Second Officer
Italy

Ray-CubeAce Posted at 1-8 02:09
Are you talking about camera blur from movement from the camera or motion blur from subject motion within the frame? Have you tried using the timer before taking an image?

I'm talking about the blur coming from the camera movement, of course if the subject is moving it'll blur.
Yes, I also tried to set a 3 seconds delay, but with no success.
2019-1-8
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
Second Officer

United Kingdom

Giammi Posted at 1-8 02:25
I'm talking about the blur coming from the camera movement, of course if the subject is moving it'll blur.
Yes, I also tried to set a 3 seconds delay, but with no success.

Thank you for the additional information which will help in anyone giving you a useful reply. I will try later and see if I get similar results to verify if I'm suffering the same problems. Any additional information you can think to give which may help to recreate the conditions of your shots may also help others to help you.
2019-1-8
Use props
Giammi
Second Officer
Italy

Ray-CubeAce Posted at 1-8 03:03
Thank you for the additional information which will help in anyone giving you a useful reply. I will try later and see if I get similar results to verify if I'm suffering the same problems. Any additional information you can think to give which may help to recreate the conditions of your shots may also help others to help you.

Well, I was pretty consistent with the results no matter the settings, so you should be able to replicate them quite easily on your side. I also tried with all the gimbal settings such as "Follow", "Tilt locked" and "FPV".

Thank you for your time!
2019-1-8
Use props
WebParrot
First Officer
Flight distance : 23625 ft
  • >>>
United States

[EDIT]  Apologies.... see below.....That's quite a claim.... 2-3 second exposure "without using a tripod"  .... as a life long photographer I find that simply absurd!!  I know it's not YOUR claim, but perhaps you misread something.  Could you reference where you saw that?  Perhaps something got lost in translation.
EDIT... I found it now on the promo page for the pocket.  (had to scroll over to see the marketing description).  While their claim is just as you say (screen shot below) I doubt that you'll have success in expecting no motion blur.  FWIW, they don't say 'handheld without blur' I can see where you might expect something unique.  I can use a standard mirrorless camera and take night shots EXPECTING blur from moving lights, etc., but to expect a still object to remain in focus is nonsense with handheld!

2-3s handleld.png
2019-1-8
Use props
Giammi
Second Officer
Italy

WebParrot Posted at 1-8 06:38
[EDIT]  Apologies.... see below.....That's quite a claim.... 2-3 second exposure "without using a tripod"  .... as a life long photographer I find that simply absurd!!  I know it's not YOUR claim, but perhaps you misread something.  Could you reference where you saw that?  Perhaps something got lost in translation.
EDIT... I found it now on the promo page for the pocket.  (had to scroll over to see the marketing description).  While their claim is just as you say (screen shot below) I doubt that you'll have success in expecting no motion blur.  FWIW, they don't say 'handheld without blur' I can see where you might expect something unique.  I can use a standard mirrorless camera and take night shots EXPECTING blur from moving lights, etc., but to expect a still object to remain in focus is nonsense with handheld!

You can find the claim directly on the DJI official page of the product. It is so clear that I think there's no translation issue at all.

BTW, I was able to get SHARP pictures from 3 seconds exposure with my Mavic 2 Pro with no issues, and it is a flying thing, so I was not too much surprised about reading this. Maybe they adopted the same recipe for the OP gimbal, I don't know. Even in my Sony camera with 5 axis stabilization on the sensor (so with very limited intervention capability) I was able to get sharp images from up to 1 second exposure hand held. In the end, on the OP, we're talking about a relatively small resolution with a wide angle. 3" exposure should not be rocket science.
2019-1-8
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
Second Officer

United Kingdom

Giammi Posted at 1-8 07:08
You can find the claim directly on the DJI official page of the product. It is so clear that I think there's no translation issue at all.

BTW, I was able to get SHARP pictures from 3 seconds exposure with my Mavic 2 Pro with no issues, and it is a flying thing, so I was not too much surprised about reading this. Maybe they adopted the same recipe for the OP gimbal, I don't know. Even in my Sony camera with 5 axis stabilization on the sensor (so with very limited intervention capability) I was able to get sharp images from up to 1 second exposure hand held. In the end, on the OP, we're talking about a relatively small resolution with a wide angle. 3" exposure should not be rocket science.

H.mm. My results were far from brilliant even when placing the Pocket down.
2019-1-8
Use props
Giammi
Second Officer
Italy

Ray-CubeAce Posted at 1-8 13:26
H.mm. My results were far from brilliant even when placing the Pocket down.

I told you.. there's something that must be fixed in the gimbal I guess.. Looks like the gimbal is moving even when it should not..

I'm concerned that even on a tripod it will be impossible to take a sharp  picture due to the unnecessary movements of the gimbal.. I wonder if DJI will ever add a tripod mode in order to block the gimbal when not needed..
2019-1-8
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
Second Officer

United Kingdom

Giammi Posted at 1-8 13:33
I told you.. there's something that must be fixed in the gimbal I guess.. Looks like the gimbal is moving even when it should not..

I'm concerned that even on a tripod it will be impossible to take a sharp  picture due to the unnecessary movements of the gimbal.. I wonder if DJI will ever add a tripod mode in order to block the gimbal when not needed..

I'm not 100% sure but I thought I detected slight gimbal movement to the right just before it stopped exposing. I will be trying a night shoot (with DSLRs) in about two weeks in quite a mixture of dim areas with some floodlighting nearby.
I'll take the Pocket out with me and try larger areas of coverage. Maybe proximity (I was shooting quite close to subjects tonight) could be a factor. I'm also wondering if there is some focus breathing going on during the exposure. I will try AFC and AFS out then.
2019-1-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules