Sunset over Platte River
646 12 2019-1-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
QUBO1234
lvl.2
United States

Sunset over Platte River at about 300', shot 3 pictures in RAW using gimbal adjustments, manually stitched.  Adjusted in RAW using Photoshop Elements to increase shadows.

FB sunset.jpg
2019-1-8
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi there, thank you for sharing your engaging shot, well done. Fly safely. Cheers!
2019-1-8
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

Great shot. Well done
2019-1-8
Use props
ff22
Second Officer
United States

I guess there is beauty in a land with no mountains or ocean! (g)  Very nice.  Any reason you did not use the Vertical Pan mode?
2019-1-8
Use props
fans41f3800c
Second Officer
Flight distance : 529836 ft
  • >>>
United States

Platte river in Michigan?
2019-1-8
Use props
QUBO1234
lvl.2
United States

When you live in a fly-over state, you have to look for the beauty and usually have to time it as well.      Why vertical?   My sister says it gives it that "high up" impression, plus the areas off to the left and right are not that scenic, so I framed them out of the picture.  That picture is actually one of the many, many tributaries of the Platte, below is looking the other direction.  Horizontally  ;  )

This is northwest Missouri -- corn and soybean country and the best views are from about 300'.   At ground level the sky is the most interesting thing to take pictures of, especially when storms come in.  The Platte River ends in Kansas City where it joins the Missouri River.

2019-1-8
Use props
Charissa
First Officer
Flight distance : 689334 ft
South Africa

Awesome skies. Personally, the bottom is a bit too dark for me. I was wondering where the river were, as all the trees and that area is without detail.
Horizon also slanting to the right.  I would fix the horizon, and lift the shadows in the foreground a tad, if it were mine.
Nice shot.
2019-1-9
Use props
bikoo
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1534987 ft
  • >>>
United Arab Emirates

great shot. thank you
2019-1-9
Use props
QUBO1234
lvl.2
United States

Charissa Posted at 1-9 01:21
Awesome skies. Personally, the bottom is a bit too dark for me. I was wondering where the river were, as all the trees and that area is without detail.
Horizon also slanting to the right.  I would fix the horizon, and lift the shadows in the foreground a tad, if it were mine.
Nice shot.

Thanks for the feedback!   I shoot mostly with 3 AEB so could also use HDR + RAW to adjust for shadow detail.   Sunsets are difficult with such a huge dynamic range and timing does not always allow getting everything just right, e.g. correct height to see the water.    I try to create realistic images, the way it looked at the time of the image capture, which is not always perfect.

I've also found that images that look good on my monitor can look quite different on another since images differ from monitor to monitor as people have their monitors adjusted to whatever they feel comfortable with.   A friend of mine has an Apple monitor with much more resolution and color depth and my 8-bit images sometimes just don't look right on his display.

Again, thanks for the feedback, I agree!  
2019-1-9
Use props
ff22
Second Officer
United States

QUBO1234 Posted at 1-8 13:21
When you live in a fly-over state, you have to look for the beauty and usually have to time it as well.      Why vertical?   My sister says it gives it that "high up" impression, plus the areas off to the left and right are not that scenic, so I framed them out of the picture.  That picture is actually one of the many, many tributaries of the Platte, below is looking the other direction.  Horizontally  ;  )

This is northwest Missouri -- corn and soybean country and the best views are from about 300'.   At ground level the sky is the most interesting thing to take pictures of, especially when storms come in.  The Platte River ends in Kansas City where it joins the Missouri River.

I like the second image of "fly over country" too!!!  You do have classic thunder storms.  I was in a tent in Iowa one night and could have read my book by the continuous lightning flashes.

Actually, I wondered why you used a MANUAL vertical pan as opposed to using the built-in function.  Although, exposure might have suffered in auto.
2019-1-10
Use props
QUBO1234
lvl.2
United States

ff22 Posted at 1-10 07:13
I like the second image of "fly over country" too!!!  You do have classic thunder storms.  I was in a tent in Iowa one night and could have read my book by the continuous lightning flashes.

Actually, I wondered why you used a MANUAL vertical pan as opposed to using the built-in function.  Although, exposure might have suffered in auto.

Why MANUAL pan?   I tried the horizontal pan and didn't like the results as well as doing it manually and then using Microsoft's free ICE software to do the stitching.   Using AEB I can then select the set of shots that look the best together, e.g. select a darker sky but a lighter foreground and automatically have them stitched.   If you haven't used it ICE, it is nice.   

In addition, using a manual pan gives you control to let you overlap the images much more so that the "sweet spot" of the lens is overlapping in the images to be combined, i.e. a possibly soft edge is not in the middle of the panorama.
2019-1-10
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Very nice shot!
2019-1-11
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

QUBO1234 Posted at 1-8 13:21
When you live in a fly-over state, you have to look for the beauty and usually have to time it as well.      Why vertical?   My sister says it gives it that "high up" impression, plus the areas off to the left and right are not that scenic, so I framed them out of the picture.  That picture is actually one of the many, many tributaries of the Platte, below is looking the other direction.  Horizontally  ;  )

Wow!
Very nice
2019-1-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules