Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Possible Windscreen option
2330 4 2019-1-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
RobCass
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

I have have run into a few time where the wind noise has impacted the sound just like any other video camera.
So in search of a solution, I have at least found one option that reduced wind noise and only $10. I measured my OP and found that the Zoom Z1 mic third party  indscreen was about the right size, so I purchase one. I did test it and it did negate 99% of the wind noise onto the OSMO Pocket when playback (headphones), so I thought I would share.
It is not a perfect solution (a little big), but to keep the device light and small, blocks both mics from wind, it works in a bind for $10 US.

NOTE:
  • This is not a huge windscreen (fur), but when mounted on the OSMO Pocket does look a little large (see photos below).
  • It does not fit super tight, so i sewed the elastic band a bit smaller to make it tighter (wish this windscreen had the draw strings).
  • This does NOT work with the smartphone attached since the phone pushes the OSMP Pocket too far apart to hold the connection (Solo OSMO Pocket solution only).
  • It does cover the buttons (so that it will cover the top mic), but I can still feel them to stop recording or I can pull the windscreen down after I am done shooting to stop recording.

Once I get another windy day (possibly tomorrow?), I will update with before and after video footage showing this solution with my OP.

Photo shown so you can gauge the size (laugh):
IMG_0374 (1).jpg

Holding

Holding

2019-1-8
Use props
CasualDronePilot
lvl.4
Flight distance : 146135 ft
Sweden

Hmm, nice tip! I wonder if the windscreen from my Zoom H4n Pro will fit the OP? Got to go and find out!
2019-1-21
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
lvl.4

United Kingdom

Has nobody seen these?
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B005 ... ef_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it
2019-1-21
Use props
CasualDronePilot
lvl.4
Flight distance : 146135 ft
Sweden

I've tried those windscreens, both on a smartphone and on a Sony NEX F3. Unfortunately they didn't work that well for me. I ended up getting a Zoom H4n Pro with a furry windscreen instead, for when I want to capture better audio. But who knows, the Rycote windjammers might work ok on the OP?
2019-1-21
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
lvl.4

United Kingdom

CasualDronePilot Posted at 1-21 14:11
I've tried those windscreens, both on a smartphone and on a Sony NEX F3. Unfortunately they didn't work that well for me. I ended up getting a Zoom H4n Pro with a furry windscreen instead, for when I want to capture better audio. But who knows, the Rycote windjammers might work ok on the OP?

I agree an external mic is the best way to go with possibly an external recorder to go with it. I still have a Panasonic minidisc recorder not much bigger than a mini-disc itself with a lot of unused minidiscs to go with it as a last resort. Very clean audio on that but I often use a DSLR with an external mic to get my main soundtrack. The quality of the audio on the Osmo Pocket isn't that bad. The automatic volume control seems very good, it just needs an external mic to make good use of it.
2019-1-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules