Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
New Drone Regulations In Canada for 2019
12Next >
8940 47 2019-1-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
tlepp
lvl.1
United States

So Transport Canada finally unveiled their new drone regulations that go into effect June 1st, 2019. I'm reading through the Advanced Operations section and I notice that in order to fly as an advanced operator you need to use an approved airframe. No DJI drones qualify. So does this mean that as of June 1st I can't use my Inspire 2 for Advanced operations, which all commercial operations fall under? For anyone interested in this topic here is the linked Transport Canada page which details the new regulations.
https://www.tc.gc.ca/en/services/aviation/drone-safety/find-category-drone-operation.html

2019-1-9
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1831050 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Funny, but you're right!
2019-1-9
Use props
fans41f3800c
lvl.4
Flight distance : 529836 ft
  • >>>
United States

Maybe they got wind of the infamous inspire 2  firmware Problems and decided that maybe they should only have safe drones flying in their airspace. Lmao. I knew this would catch up with them sooner or later maybe now they will take it seriously and fix it!!!!!
2019-1-10
Use props
JBSonic
lvl.4
Flight distance : 779019 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The Inspire 2 was banned from flying in the UK a little while ago for a few months by the CAA due to the Battery issues which are STILL not resolved.
Maybe it is time to ditch the Inspire 2 in favour of more reliable alternatives, a permanent ban is possible since DJI is unable to fix this machine.
2019-1-10
Use props
fans41f3800c
lvl.4
Flight distance : 529836 ft
  • >>>
United States

Yep they should stick to consumer drones. They’ve bitten off more than they can chew.  They refuse to listen to their customers complaints about the firmware  and ignore us over and over they only patch things up and never fix them permanently.
2019-1-10
Use props
RichJ53
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

Yikes..... this is really going to impact many of my friends in Canada. I sure hope they figure this out before June 1 2019!

Funny how some are quick to judge DJI's Inspire 2 as a bad drone. DJI has been working hard to take care of the battery issues in the last FW.  Nothing is perfect

Rich
2019-1-10
Use props
HyperSpectral
lvl.4
Flight distance : 839160 ft
United States

RichJ53 Posted at 1-10 10:53
Yikes..... this is really going to impact many of my friends in Canada. I sure hope they figure this out before June 1 2019!

Funny how some are quick to judge DJI's Inspire 2 as a bad drone. DJI has been working hard to take care of the battery issues in the last FW.  Nothing is perfect

You're defending DJI much like people who blindly defend Apple and Tesla. It should have NEVER broken to begin with, it's simply unacceptable. We're not talking about a smart phone or TV, we're talking about a safety critical system that is hundreds of feet in the air flying at significant speeds with significant kinetic energy.

2019-1-10
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
Second Officer
  • >>>
Canada

RichJ53 Posted at 1-10 10:53

Oh, I was expecting that and I'm prepared. It's inevitable, sooner or later will happen everywhere in similar form, at least in developed parts of the world.

Basically all pilots of drones that weigh between 250g and 25kg (DJI Spark including) must get a pilot certificate. Pilots are divided into 2 groups with different certificates (basic and advanced), where advanced certificate will require ground school training, exam and in-person flight review. All drones that weigh between 250g and 25kg must be registered and clearly marked ...

I just took the ground school training, got my certificate
as a drone pilot, waiting for radio operator licence, going to register my birds, etc. On funny side, just ordered a vest with huge Certified Drone Operator sign embroiled on back, purchased a hard hat and a walkie-talkie with huge antenna ... Nobody will dare to question my authority, I guarantee !
2019-1-10
Use props
Cougar1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 924393 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Matthew Dobrski Posted at 1-10 13:30
Oh, I was expecting that and I'm prepared. It's inevitable, sooner or later will happen everywhere in similar form, at least in developed parts of the world.

Basically all pilots of drones that weigh between 250g and 25kg (DJI Spark including) must get a pilot certificate. Pilots are divided into 2 groups with different certificates (basic and advanced), where advanced certificate will require ground school training, exam and in-person flight review. All drones that weigh between 250g and 25kg must be registered and clearly marked ...

Also have groundschool with cert as well as radio certificates but it seems like we first have to take the basic online test before we can register and apply for the “advanced” certificate, a second course on line. Many steps,, Transport Canada recommends that we take “groundschool” prior to taking the online test for advanced certification so even if we have groundschool we still need 2 courses (and passed booth) before we can request the. Flight-test.
BTW. Ground school cert is not valid for any certificate, it only helps for knowledge test, you still have to take the course.
2019-1-10
Use props
epicjib
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3016060 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Cougar1 Posted at 1-10 14:40
Also have groundschool with cert as well as radio certificates but it seems like we first have to take the basic online test before we can register and apply for the “advanced” certificate, a second course on line. Many steps,, Transport Canada recommends that we take “groundschool” prior to taking the online test for advanced certification so even if we have groundschool we still need 2 courses (and passed booth) before we can request the. Flight-test.

Don't forget about the "SAFE drone. Do you need a SAFE drone to take the flight test?
2019-1-10
Use props
Cougar1
lvl.4
  • >>>
Canada

epicjib Posted at 1-10 14:47
Don't forget about the "SAFE drone. Do you need a SAFE drone to take the flight test?

Double post.
2019-1-10
Use props
Cougar1
lvl.4
  • >>>
Canada

epicjib Posted at 1-10 14:47

Think you need a drone that fit the “Safe” category before you can fly test but not sure, maybe you can, and you just don't get the rating for “advanced” flying on the drone until it has passed TC.
2019-1-10
Use props
RichJ53
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Matthew Dobrski Posted at 1-10 13:30

I love it.....  Thanks for the update.

How are you doing with your I2 and Matrice 200? all the batteries working correctly now?  This is coming from a blind man apparently

Rich
2019-1-10
Use props
RichJ53
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Also have groundschool with cert as well as radio certificates but it seems like we first have to take the basic online test before we can register and apply for the “advanced” certificate, a second course on line. Many steps,, Transport Canada recommends that we take “groundschool” prior to taking the online test for advanced certification so even if we have groundschool we still need 2 courses (and passed booth) before we can request the. Flight-test.
BTW. Ground school cert is not valid for any certificate, it only helps for knowledge test, you still have to take the course.

Nice to see your post and information. Looks like you are ahead of the curve.

Hope your I2 is working great since your mishap … Sorry that I have been away for awhile. family health issues...
Rich
2019-1-10
Use props
Cougar1
lvl.4
  • >>>
Canada

RichJ53 Posted at 1-10 15:19

Hope your I2 is working great since your mishap … Sorry that I have been away for awhile. family health issues...

Hi Rich, yes all good with my I2, trying to stay ahead. Just took the online course for the “Basic” pilot, no problem, just 35 questions. On to the next step after we get the “Safe” certifications for our drones (need for all my drones). Best, Cougar.
2019-1-10
Use props
Cougar1
lvl.4
  • >>>
Canada

RichJ53 Posted at 1-10 15:19

Hi Rich, yes all good with my I2, trying to stay ahead. Just took the online course for the “Basic” pilot, no problem, just 35 questions. On to the next step after we get the “Safe” certifications for our drones (need for all my drones). Best, Cougar.
2019-1-10
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
Second Officer
  • >>>
Canada

RichJ53 Posted at 1-10 15:17
I love it.....  Thanks for the update.

How are you doing with your I2 and Matrice 200? all the batteries working correctly now?  This is coming from a blind man apparently

Rich, we're just digesting this new info from Transportation Canada for now, many questions must be answered ... I've spent almost $750 USD on requested ground school training and exam provided by one of officially recommended companies here in Western Canada (Aerobotica). It must render some sort of advance ... Better ... We'll see ...

All my birds are hibernating now with most recent FW's, which are temporarily patched. Last time I was flying Inspire she was behaving fine, but Matrice was RTH-ing unexpectedly at 40-45% battery. As far as I know they're still trying to solve the power management issues and come up with final FW version for both birds (I2 and M200) using TB50/55 batteries ...

Cheers,
Matthew.
2019-1-10
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
Second Officer
  • >>>
Canada

Also have groundschool with cert as well as radio certificates but it seems like we first have to take the basic online test before we can register and apply for the “advanced” certificate, a second course on line. Many steps,, Transport Canada recommends that we take “groundschool” prior to taking the online test for advanced certification so even if we have groundschool we still need 2 courses (and passed booth) before we can request the. Flight-test.
BTW. Ground school cert is not valid for any certificate, it only helps for knowledge test, you still have to take the course.

Cougar, there must be some advantage of having Ground School cert. In my case Aerobotika is one of local course providers listed by Transport Canada. I can't see this certificate as being ignored in the process of fulfilling all new requirements and obtaining all necessary permits, basic or advanced.
2019-1-10
Use props
Cougar1
lvl.4
  • >>>
Canada

Matthew Dobrski Posted at 1-10 16:47
Cougar, there must be some advantage of having Ground School cert. In my case Aerobotica is one of local course providers listed by Transport Canada. I can't see this certificate as being ignored in the process of fulfilling all new requirements and obtaining all necessary permits, basic or advanced.

If you look at the requirements for the “Advanced License” it states that they recommend, “Groundschool” prior to taking the Advanced test. No credit for the Groundschool just recommend that you have it. Also note that there is quite a few changes to the regs that where just posted. If you read it all there is quite a lot to consider.

Also the registration of the drone itself and all the documentation you need to keep and should you ever sell a drone that you registered you need to de-register your drone and also give all these documents to the new owner. More importantly we need. DJI to declare our drones “safe” and certify them.
BTW, did see your post to Rich, re the batts, the I2 is not affected, only the 200.
2019-1-10
Use props
Cougar1
lvl.4
  • >>>
Canada

Here is a list of approved drones for Advanced operations, not one DJI drone but very expensive units.

https://www.tc.gc.ca/en/services ... ng-right-drone.html
2019-1-11
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day. Thank you for sharing this very informative information regarding the new law that will take in effect on June 01, 2019. This information will be very useful to all our drone pilots in Canada and thank you for your support.
2019-1-11
Use props
tlepp
lvl.1
Canada

The real question I'm trying to answer is are you able to use an Inspire 2 for commercial work in Canada? It seems from the new regs that you won't be able to use an Inspire 2 for commercial work in Canada because it's not listed as one of the drones approved by Transport Canada. I primarily fly on Film and commercial shoots with an Inspire 2. This might mean that I would need to switch to a more expensive platform judging from the approved list of drones. While the Inspire 2 was definitely not a perfect drone platform, it is very competitively priced and the camera systems that we have used worked well for our needs. Not every client needs or can afford a drone system that flies with a Red Weapon attached.
2019-1-11
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
Second Officer
  • >>>
Canada

tlepp Posted at 1-11 15:16
The real question I'm trying to answer is are you able to use an Inspire 2 for commercial work in Canada? It seems from the new regs that you won't be able to use an Inspire 2 for commercial work in Canada because it's not listed as one of the drones approved by Transport Canada. I primarily fly on Film and commercial shoots with an Inspire 2. This might mean that I would need to switch to a more expensive platform judging from the approved list of drones. While the Inspire 2 was definitely not a perfect drone platform, it is very competitively priced and the camera systems that we have used worked well for our needs. Not every client needs or can afford a drone system that flies with a Red Weapon attached.

It's a classic case of bureaucrats overlooking an important brand and I'm sure it will be fixed before Summer. Please note that Alta brand - certainly significant in this category - is not listed as well. It's hard to ignore DJI products sharing 75% of drones sold globally, if not more. The dust will settle down eventually ...

On the other hand, such "provocative" overlooking may force DJI to pay more attention to fly-worthiness issues of their enterprise class drones, plaguing them recently.
2019-1-11
Use props
tlepp
lvl.1
Canada

This change in the regulations is making it impossible to plan for commercial drone jobs using DJI equipment. After doing more research it seems that DJI is not an option for commercial operators in Class C, D, E or F airspace after June 1, 2019. What still isn't clear to me is can you get an advanced standing certificate and use a DJI drone for commercial operations in class G airspace? It looks like my company is going to have to invest some money in Transport Canada approved drones if we want able to operate this summer under the new Transport Canada guidelines. Anyway, if anyone else comes across some relevant information it would be helpful to have it shared. I'm sure we're all just trying to figure out how these new regulations impact the drone industry in Canada going forward.
2019-1-13
Use props
MikeyLav
New
Flight distance : 231168 ft
Canada

Speaking to a Transport Canada rep in November, he told me that TC was going to focus on licensing pilots over certifying aircraft because the technology moves too fast.   After these new regulations were revealed in January, it seems (and hopefully I've interpreted all this correctly) that they're leaving it up to the manufacturers to submit a certificate of assurance to allow their UAVs in controlled airspace.  

Playing the optimist:  Just because you don't see DJI drones in the approved list yet doesn't mean you won't ever.  DJI has a lot to lose if their drones aren't approved for commercial/advanced use.  Many film makers, real estate photographers, surveyors... use DJI drones and they're one of the world's largest manufacturers of UAVs.  I think it's just a matter of time.  It may not happen right at June 1st.  But I'm pretty sure it's in DJI's best interest to have their drones certified.
2019-3-9
Use props
Cougar1
lvl.4
  • >>>
Canada

MikeyLav Posted at 3-9 00:11
Speaking to a Transport Canada rep in November, he told me that TC was going to focus on licensing pilots over certifying aircraft because the technology moves too fast.   After these new regulations were revealed in January, it seems (and hopefully I've interpreted all this correctly) that they're leaving it up to the manufacturers to submit a certificate of assurance to allow their UAVs in controlled airspace.  

Playing the optimist:  Just because you don't see DJI drones in the approved list yet doesn't mean you won't ever.  DJI has a lot to lose if their drones aren't approved for commercial/advanced use.  Many film makers, real estate photographers, surveyors... use DJI drones and they're one of the world's largest manufacturers of UAVs.  I think it's just a matter of time.  It may not happen right at June 1st.  But I'm pretty sure it's in DJI's best interest to have their drones certified.

Transport Canada are allowing Inspire 2 and other DJI drones for Advanced operations in Canada.
Inspire 1 is not on the list.

https://www.dji.com/ca/newsroom/ ... advanced-operations
2019-3-13
Use props
Cougar1
lvl.4
  • >>>
Canada

MikeyLav Posted at 3-9 00:11
Speaking to a Transport Canada rep in November, he told me that TC was going to focus on licensing pilots over certifying aircraft because the technology moves too fast.   After these new regulations were revealed in January, it seems (and hopefully I've interpreted all this correctly) that they're leaving it up to the manufacturers to submit a certificate of assurance to allow their UAVs in controlled airspace.  

Playing the optimist:  Just because you don't see DJI drones in the approved list yet doesn't mean you won't ever.  DJI has a lot to lose if their drones aren't approved for commercial/advanced use.  Many film makers, real estate photographers, surveyors... use DJI drones and they're one of the world's largest manufacturers of UAVs.  I think it's just a matter of time.  It may not happen right at June 1st.  But I'm pretty sure it's in DJI's best interest to have their drones certified.

Transport Canada are allowing Inspire 2 and other DJI drones for Advanced operations in Canada.

https://www.dji.com/ca/newsroom/ ... advanced-operations
2019-3-13
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
Second Officer
  • >>>
Canada

Cougar1 Posted at 3-13 09:47

Well. at least one good news. I assume that all DJI's advanced safety features (RTH, OAS, geofencing etc.) were playing a major role in negotiations with Transport Canada authorities. Ironically most of already approved aircraft brands doesn't come even close to these features. Too bad that Inspire 1 didn't pass, but ... oh,well.

Next step is to modify the pool of exam questions for either basic or advanced certificate. At this moment the topic of these questions is often very remotely related to the scope of our operations, making these exams difficult to pass without extensive studying even for matured warriors.
2019-3-13
Use props
Cougar1
lvl.4
  • >>>
Canada

Matthew Dobrski Posted at 3-13 15:25
Well. at least one good news. I assume that all DJI's advanced safety features (RTH, OAS, geofencing etc.) were playing a major role in negotiations with Transport Canada authorities. Ironically most of already approved aircraft brands doesn't come even close to these features. Too bad that Inspire 1 didn't pass, but ... oh,well.

Next step is to modify the pool of exam questions for either basic or advanced certificate. At this moment the topic of these questions is often very remotely related to the scope of our operations, making these exams difficult to pass without extensive studying even for matured warriors.

Yes agree there seems to be some good news. However this info is coming from DJI, not Transport Canada . We have to see once it comes from official TC website, drones might be allowed to fly in controlled airspace, but will they be allowed to fly near or over people?

As for the exams, think they relies heavily on the "Ground school" that has been offered previously to anyone that would apply for a commercial permit. I took the course and had no issue passing, what seems strange is the requirement seems to be based on this course, for booth basic and advanced.
If you are going for the advanced, you also need a radio course/ lisence.
2019-3-13
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
Second Officer
  • >>>
Canada

Cougar1 Posted at 3-13 18:01
Yes agree there seems to be some good news. However this info is coming from DJI, not Transport Canada . We have to see once it comes from official TC website, drones might be allowed to fly in controlled airspace, but will they be allowed to fly near or over people?

As for the exams, think they relies heavily on the "Ground school" that has been offered previously to anyone that would apply for a commercial permit. I took the course and had no issue passing, what seems strange is the requirement seems to be based on this course, for booth basic and advanced.

Cougar, accordingly to Aerobotika webinar I've recently participated in, to fly near and over people you'll need advanced pilot licence and SFOC.

As for the exams ... I took the Ground School course as well, but it didn't prepared me good enough. I've failed to pass even basic exam, perhaps because English is my second tongue, or perhaps because I'm not smart enough to be a drone pilot LOL. Naturally I'll try again, this time after more elaborate preparation. Luckily as a Ground School alumni I have access to related textbooks and information.
2019-3-13
Use props
Cougar1
lvl.4
  • >>>
Canada

Matthew Dobrski Posted at 3-13 20:41
Cougar, accordingly to Aerobotika webinar I've recently participated in, to fly near and over people you'll need advanced pilot licence and SFOC.

As for the exams ... I took the Ground School course as well, but it didn't prepared me good enough. I've failed to pass even basic exam, perhaps because English is my second tongue, or perhaps because I'm not smart enough to be a drone pilot LOL. Naturally I'll try again, this time after more elaborate preparation. Luckily as a Ground School alumni I have access to related textbooks and information.

Matthew,  to fly near or over LARGE crowds requires SFOC as well as advanced pilot certificate, but there is also requirements on the drone itself in order to be able to do that, if and when the Inspire will be certified to do that will be determined by Transport Canada, and posted on the official webpage.

Some of the questions are deliberately  written, so that if you are not 100% sure what the correct answer are, or miss interpret the question, it can easily trip you up. Am sure you will be able to succeed and get your certificate.

As far as the seemingly heavy requirements even to pass the basic exam, think of it as getting a drivers license. Even if you live nowhere near a city and only intend to drive on a farm road, you still need to know all the requirements to drive everywhere, before getting the driver license.   
BTW: the exsam for advanced certificate is much more involved.
2019-3-14
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
Second Officer
  • >>>
Canada

Cougar1 Posted at 3-14 02:59
Matthew,  to fly near or over LARGE crowds requires SFOC as well as advanced pilot certificate, but there is also requirements on the drone itself in order to be able to do that, if and when the Inspire will be certified to do that will be determined by Transport Canada, and posted on the official webpage.

Some of the questions are deliberately  written, so that if you are not 100% sure what the correct answer are, or miss interpret the question, it can easily trip you up. Am sure you will be able to succeed and get your certificate.

Cougar, not that I want to start senseless arguing ...

"Even if you live nowhere near a city and only intend to drive on a farm road, you still need to know all the requirements to drive everywhere, before getting the driver license."

That's correct, but I don't need to know what is the ignition advance in car engine to get my drivers licence. For the same reason I don't need to know what is the purpose of winglets at the tip of wings or names of particular clouds. The scope of questions should focus more on manual content, UAV's operation principles and safety measures involved, different for basic recreational flying and much more complex for commercial activity. I can't see how radio communication rules and conventions may apply to my everyday Mavic usage ...  
2019-3-14
Use props
Cougar1
lvl.4
  • >>>
Canada

Matthew Dobrski Posted at 3-14 12:02
Cougar, not that I want to start senseless arguing ...

"Even if you live nowhere near a city and only intend to drive on a farm road, you still need to know all the requirements to drive everywhere, before getting the driver license."

That would be for the advance questions, or as it relates to my "driver license" it would be for drivers that need semi truck license.

Really get what you are saying and agree to some degree, but you have to admit there is some logic in my reasoning. Anyway it is what it is, TC has the ball.
2019-3-14
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
Second Officer
  • >>>
Canada

Cougar1 Posted at 3-14 12:08
That would be for the advance questions, or as it relates to my "driver license" it would be for drivers that need semi truck license.

Really get what you are saying and agree to some degree, but you have to admit there is some logic in my reasoning. Anyway it is what it is, TC has the ball.

And that'll conclude our conversation, refreshing as usual. I've been informed that TC is modifying the content of exam questions pool, partly to address concerns of early participants. After all, this is still the issue in embryo state.
2019-3-14
Use props
RichJ53
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Cougar1 Posted at 3-13 09:48
Inspire 1 is not on the list.

Hi Cougar

Good to see some positive news coming from your new drone rules.

Hope all is well, I have not been on the forum much this year. Lots going on in our life right now

Rich  
2019-3-18
Use props
Cougar1
lvl.4
  • >>>
Canada

RichJ53 Posted at 3-18 20:30
Hi Cougar

Good to see some positive news coming from your new drone rules.

Hi Rich, hope all is good with you. Same with me, have not been on the forum for a bit, it is quite slow at the moment around the I2. Have been hibernating, but spring will be here in a bit so hopefully getting out soon.
2019-3-28
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
Second Officer
  • >>>
Canada

Cougar1 Posted at 3-28 16:24
Hi Rich, hope all is good with you. Same with me, have not been on the forum for a bit, it is quite slow at the moment around the I2. Have been hibernating, but spring will be here in a bit so hopefully getting out soon.

It is slow here indeed, I wonder why ...
2019-3-28
Use props
RichJ53
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Cougar1 Posted at 3-28 16:24
Hi Rich, hope all is good with you. Same with me, have not been on the forum for a bit, it is quite slow at the moment around the I2. Have been hibernating, but spring will be here in a bit so hopefully getting out soon.

Sorry, I have not been keeping up!  We are seeing the spring changes and the sun will lift our spirits for sure!

Rich
2019-3-29
Use props
RichJ53
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Matthew Dobrski Posted at 3-28 20:14
It is slow here indeed, I wonder why ...

You have your boat ready?  time is running out before you set sail again

Rich
2019-3-29
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
Second Officer
  • >>>
Canada

RichJ53 Posted at 3-29 20:08
You have your boat ready?  time is running out before you set sail again

Rich

Ha ha, yes, my boat is sitting quietly under shed, waiting for summer to arrive! I must fix part of my solar roof damaged while making tight turn around McDonald restaurant drive-thru in Ferndale WA (stupid me) ... Other than that I'm ready.

Good to hear from you, Rich.
2019-3-30
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules