New rules in Canada (January 09/2019)
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Matthew Dobrski
First Officer
Flight distance : 1831050 ft
  • >>>
Canada

As expected, governments are continuously refining the rules of piloting the drones. Today Transport Canada announced new set of regulations, which will come into effect by June 1, 2019.

https://www.canada.ca/en/transport-canada/news/2019/01/minister-garneau-unveils-canadas-new-drone-safety-regulations.html

Basically all pilots of drones that weigh between 250g and 25kg (DJI Spark including) must get a pilot certificate. Pilots are divided into 2 groups with different certificates (basic and advanced), where advanced certificate will require ground school training, exam and in-person flight review. All drones that weigh between 250g and 25kg bust be registered and clearly marked.
2019-1-9
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi there, thank you for sharing this informative Information, Cheers!
2019-1-10
Use props
Gifro
lvl.3
Flight distance : 3585072 ft
Canada

Question for the DJI admins:  Is DJI expecting to gain approval with Transport Canada to have their Matrice 200 series and/or others drones listed as approved systems for Advanced Operations in Canada?  You can see right now that no DJI units are listed on the official Transport Canada site: http://www.tc.gc.ca/en/services/ ... ng-right-drone.html

It would be great to hear from the source on this one, as there are plenty of rumors floating around.  

EDIT: I noticed a similar thread here: https://forum.dji.com/thread-177422-1-1.html  In this thread there is discussion of DJI aiming to participate in the SAFE program in Canada, so it sounds like at least some of the DJI enterprise drones will make the list over the next several months (no timeline given).

2019-1-10
Use props
kozlio#
lvl.4
Canada

i have my 2019 Transport Canada SFOC for Ontario and so far have not been contacted to make any uav licence revisions. should be all good.
these new law amendment will weed out "cousin tommy" type contractors stealing quick and easy uav pic gigs using their best buy phantom, undercut the rates and charge cash (illegal commercial uav operation) while the rest of us are legal and law-abiding with our pro gear.
...among other benefits re: aviation safety
2019-1-12
Use props
Gifro
lvl.3
Flight distance : 3585072 ft
Canada

kozlio# Posted at 1-12 12:41
i have my 2019 Transport Canada SFOC for Ontario and so far have not been contacted to make any uav licence revisions. should be all good.
these new law amendment will weed out "cousin tommy" type contractors stealing quick and easy uav pic gigs using their best buy phantom, undercut the rates and charge cash (illegal commercial uav operation) while the rest of us are legal and law-abiding with our pro gear.
...among other benefits re: aviation safety

kozlio# - my understanding is that our SFOCs are good until June 1st.  After that, you will need a pilot certificate for Advanced Operations to continue. You will also need to have a drone that is on the approved list for Advanced Operations.  I've confirmed with our Transport Canada rep that there is no easy workaround for drones that aren't on the list.

I would hope that some of DJI's commercial drones make the list eventually but none are currently listed.

2019-1-13
Use props
Jim Mc Arthur
lvl.3
Flight distance : 41893 ft
Canada

Have been checking this new stuff out.  The site is not very stable as yet some things work some don't seem to.  Its kind of a kick in the pants, we have been flying our drones with trained operators SFOC's and insurance for 4 years.  No9w we have to write their tests  travel for 4hours to have a  flight review ( probably by some one with less time and too top it all off none of our uav's are in their list when we have already been flying them in the situations they say we cannot use them  about $50,000.00 down the drain.
2019-1-14
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
First Officer
Flight distance : 1831050 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Jim Mc Arthur Posted at 1-14 10:46
Have been checking this new stuff out.  The site is not very stable as yet some things work some don't seem to.  Its kind of a kick in the pants, we have been flying our drones with trained operators SFOC's and insurance for 4 years.  No9w we have to write their tests  travel for 4hours to have a  flight review ( probably by some one with less time and too top it all off none of our uav's are in their list when we have already been flying them in the situations they say we cannot use them  about $50,000.00 down the drain.

These new rules are in embryo state and will evolve like anything else of this nature, including updated list of approved aircrafts. Note that even renowned Alta brand isn't listed there fo some reason. Although DJI is fast to declare 75% of market share globally, their drones are far from being professional, even in Enterprise class. After all it's an exotic brand which took the market by affordability and mass production. Apparently recent hardware/firmware failures doesn't help much to establish solid reputation among bureaucrats at Transport Canada ...
2019-1-14
Use props
Cori
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2519977 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Gifro Posted at 1-10 22:07
Question for the DJI admins:  Is DJI expecting to gain approval with Transport Canada to have their Matrice 200 series and/or others drones listed as approved systems for Advanced Operations in Canada?  You can see right now that no DJI units are listed on the official Transport Canada site: http://www.tc.gc.ca/en/services/ ... ng-right-drone.html

It would be great to hear from the source on this one, as there are plenty of rumors floating around.

I have the same question.  My marine research group has two Phantom 4 Pros, and a Matrice 200 and was planning to add an Inspire 2 and another M200 to the fleet this year.  Because we operate in controlled airspace some of the time, we have to comply with Transport Canada's rules for Advanced Operations and use approved UAV's.  No DJI products are on the approved list, so like some other posters on this thread we will have to move to another manufacturer if DJI doesn't get their drones approved.  

The good news is that anufacturers can self-declare to Transport Canada that specific models of drones meet the requirements for advanced operations.  It really hope that DJI does this very soon...we have to make decisions about our equipment in the next couple of months.
2019-1-17
Use props
Cori
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2519977 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Cori Posted at 1-17 22:22
I have the same question.  My marine research group has two Phantom 4 Pros, and a Matrice 200 and was planning to add an Inspire 2 and another M200 to the fleet this year.  Because we operate in controlled airspace some of the time, we have to comply with Transport Canada's rules for Advanced Operations and use approved UAV's.  No DJI products are on the approved list, so like some other posters on this thread we will have to move to another manufacturer if DJI doesn't get their drones approved.  

The good news is that anufacturers can self-declare to Transport Canada that specific models of drones meet the requirements for advanced operations.  It really hope that DJI does this very soon...we have to make decisions about our equipment in the next couple of months.

Happy to say that DJI has now gone through the Transport Canada Approval process for most of it's drones.  Thanks DJI!
2019-6-9
Use props
Howard Strunk
lvl.1

United States

And what are the cases in this matter now? Because I haven't been interested for a long time
2020-6-11
Use props
Gavithis
lvl.1

Germany

Interesting
2021-1-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules