Spark vs tello
2639 13 2019-1-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans16501391
lvl.2
Australia

Hey evertone,

I have a Mavic Pro but was looking at getting either a spark or a Tello to fly around the house and backyard or when I want to quickly grab a drone and take it out flying.
I can get a Tello by itself for $90 or in the combo with the controller and extra batteries etc for $175!
The spark I can get with a controller for $345!

What’s everyone’s thoughts and opinions between the 2 of them?!

Thanks,
Ben
2019-1-9
Use props
Gunship9
lvl.4
United States

I think the Tello is an indoor drone.  Pushed around by the winds outside.  I wouldn't want to fly a Spark indoors because of its actions when losing GPS lock and then regaining it (into and out of ATTI mode).  I would get an Blade Inductrix RTF micro drone if you just want to have fun flying.  It is only for indoors but is pretty stable.  A Pulse XT .40 is even more fun when you just want to fly.
Pulse easement 3.jpg
2019-1-9
Use props
Nidge
lvl.4

United Kingdom

Somethings to consider.

The Spark can be flown indoors but is loud and needs a relatively bright environment for the underbelly positioning sensors to work effectively. The forward facing obstacle avoidance will be continually trying to restrict its movement unless you have a palacios abode. You can turn off the OA but when you collide with something bad things will happen and could prove to be expensive.

The Tello has similar issues with regard to the positioning system and doesn’t have obstacle avoidance. However when you do crash into something it just bounces off. I’ve pounded my Tello into all manor of things, not a scratch and still using the original props for the last year. Outside it is surprisingly stable, even in a moderate breeze, but this is when it’s flown at a max height of around 15ft, above this and the positioning system starts to struggle.

My primary reason for getting a Tello was for the programming options using such tools as Dronblocks and Scratch. The Spark will work with DroneBlocks but I would not recommend doing this indoors unless you have a fair amount of space.

I do have the GameSir T1D BT controller for the Tello but I have found there is a discernible degree of latency between the controller and the Tello and in many instances using the mobile device alone has resulted in more precise control. I’m sure this could be mitigated if support for OTG was implemented.

If you’re just after some indoor FPV fun I’d recommend looking at one of the many brushed Tiny Whoops. I have the EACHINE QX65 and with its small size and durability it turns any indoor area into a race track. My favourite flying is to open all the windows in the house and then use both the front and back yards and all the rooms in the house as a racetrack. You could even have FPV fun while on the Can, and no I’ve not done this.... Yet ;-)

Regards

Nidge.
2019-1-10
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, thanks for the inquiry. Hope you'll get the best recommendation from our valued customers. You may refer to the links for specs of Tello and DJI Spark for a comparison. Thank you for the support.

https://www.dji.com/spark/specs

https://www.ryzerobotics.com/tello/specs
2019-1-10
Use props
fans16501391
lvl.2
Australia

Thanks everyone so far from your input!
2019-1-10
Use props
jacksonnai
Captain
Malaysia

Spark for sure!
2019-1-11
Use props
Lysak2003
Second Officer
Flight distance : 500052 ft
Ukraine

Nidge Posted at 1-10 02:15
Somethings to consider.

The Spark can be flown indoors but is loud and needs a relatively bright environment for the underbelly positioning sensors to work effectively. The forward facing obstacle avoidance will be continually trying to restrict its movement unless you have a palacios abode. You can turn off the OA but when you collide with something bad things will happen and could prove to be expensive.

Hello! Does the Spark communicate with Scrstch?
2019-1-11
Use props
Master.
lvl.4
Flight distance : 623432 ft
United States

Get both. LOL I mean, you don't have to register tello, that is great.
2019-1-13
Use props
Daniella3d
lvl.4
Canada

If you want to just fly around, you can get a Tello, but if you want to take any decent video, than the spar is the way to go. Tello footage is shaky and unusable. So if you don't care about taking video and simply want a drone to fly inside, then maybe get a Hubsan X4? it's fun to fly. The Tello is not very stable in high winds so it should be used with low wind only I would think. The nice thing about any drone under 250 g is that they can be use pretty much anywhere, even near an airport. They are not regulated.
2019-1-13
Use props
S-e-ven
First Officer
Flight distance : 5922034 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

Spark! ;-)
2019-1-13
Use props
Bing Err
Captain
Flight distance : 9249964 ft
  • >>>
United States

If you want better pic and video then get the Spark. Tello is fun but not great for it's image quality. And with no physical gimbal the video is shaky and you can't look down.
2019-1-13
Use props
Anthony8858
lvl.4
Flight distance : 9711 ft
United States

This guy is a little annoying, but this video made me buy the Tello to add to the Mavic Air.

I flew it yesterday in the park, slight breeze in sport mode and had a blast.
Respect its limitations, get extra batteries for 19 usd each and have fun.
2019-1-14
Use props
DJI Benji
lvl.2
Australia

Anthony8858 Posted at 1-14 06:19
This guy is a little annoying, but this video made me buy the Tello to add to the Mavic Air.

I flew it yesterday in the park, slight breeze in sport mode and had a blast.

Damn looks like a ton of fun!
2019-1-15
Use props
Anthony8858
lvl.4
Flight distance : 9711 ft
United States

DJI Benji Posted at 1-15 01:32
Damn looks like a ton of fun!

It is a ton of fun.

Little thing goes 18mph in sport mode.
Add a tail wind and it flies!