Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Dji repair help
2860 30 2015-6-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
gixxertaylor
lvl.1

United States

The Dji repair center in LA has had my inspire 1 since May 18th.. No word from Dji and zen desk says solved. Rma number 137850. I was told to contact Tahoe Ed if I had any issues. I have been trying to be positive about this. Any ideas or prior experiences?
2015-6-4
Use props
chrisfromalbany
lvl.2

United States

generally 6 week tour.. I just getting my back from 27 April send in date.
2015-6-4
Use props
gixxertaylor
lvl.1

United States

chrisfromalbany Posted at 2015-6-5 11:21
generally 6 week tour.. I just getting my back from 27 April send in date.

is that the day they recieved it or the day you sent it off?
2015-6-5
Use props
M3SpeedRacer
lvl.2

United States

They don't include Testing as part of Repairing. After its Repaired, they take another week+ to Test it, then ship it out. Mine was at DJI for 6 weeks and 2 days, counting from date of delivery to DJI to date they shipped it out. Unfortunately I had to send it back couple days later because same issue returned but this time they offered Expedited RMA for faster processing, a sign their customer service is improving. Good luck.
2015-6-5
Use props
gixxertaylor
lvl.1

United States

May 18th Dji repair received my inspire.
June 8th unit checked in, email recieved.
and nothing since. With the amount of money I have lost I could have bought a new one and broke even by the end of this.
2015-6-16
Use props
InspirelessAggi
lvl.4

United States

Seriously?   How many of you guys will invest in another DJI product?  Really?
This certainly hits your bottom line when you use one for a business

This expedited RMA deal pisses me off.  If they have that capacity...then they can do it for every customer.  Not one word was mentioned to me about this.   Just a hard time over a 10% discount coupon that they wouldn't honor on a replacement.  Sheesh
2015-6-16
Use props
drewvallejo
lvl.3
United States

I can say that the repair process is long but in my case, it was well worth the wait. When it came back, it flew like nothing happened. If it is your primary piece of equipment for business, you might want to invest in more than one( can't blame DJI for that business choice).  
2015-6-17
Use props
PeteGould
lvl.4

United States

InspirelessAggi Posted at 2015-6-17 05:04
This expedited RMA deal pisses me off.  If they have that capacity...then they can do it for every customer.

How does that make sense?  Clearly the expedited RMA is done by bypassing others in the queue.
2015-6-17
Use props
InspirelessAggi
lvl.4

United States

PeteGould Posted at 2015-6-18 09:40
How does that make sense?  Clearly the expedited RMA is done by bypassing others in the queue.

What I meant was that if they can do it under this circumstance, they could of done it for me as my product was only 3 days old.  I understand some things need time to be evaluated and repaired, but there are circumstances where they just need to send a replacement right away.    Electrical failure would be one of these reasons.     
2015-6-17
Use props
PeteGould
lvl.4

United States

InspirelessAggi Posted at 2015-6-18 09:57
What I meant was that if they can do it under this circumstance, they could of done it for me as m ...

I'm not justifying the behavior or the delays, but given the system they have at the moment: determining that it is an electrical failure rather than user failure would require evaluation.  After all, people lie all the time, trying to get at-fault damage covered under warranty.  They HAVE to evaluate it.  Evaluation takes time.  Determining that this is a repair they just sent out and that it is coming back as improperly repaired takes NO evaluation; it's known before they receive it because they're the ones who sent it out.  Therefore bypassing the queue for that specific circumstance can be done without incurring any other delays.  I don't like it, but I can see it.
2015-6-17
Use props
InspirelessAggi
lvl.4

United States

In my case.   Their pilot app said battery connection to main board failure. The evaluation had been done by their own app.  It said to send off for repair.  I can't conceive a user error... But they know that.  But I did tell them it's what their app said.   Look the issue is more than this or that.  The issue is that they want complete control for profit and localize to one location and are clearly over their heads.  They can't even check in their submissions for weeks.  It's their design and their failure.  Why is it I can call tech support at Apple and tell them my problem and they send a replacement at my cost that day or next day?   Then credit me back when they receive my return?   It's because they care about the customer and have many places to take your device to.  DJI is a child company.  Not ready to provide the kind of service needed to take care of the needs of their customers in a timely fashion.   It's why I don't want their products right now.  Maybe again in 6 months to a year.

If you have billions in profit, put it back into the system and get it done.   If that means subcontracting trained facilities for now, so be it. They evidently have cornered the market.  They have a product people want.  They have some leeway to keep the customer waiting for 6-8 weeks.  They choose not to extend further than one facility nor make parts available.   It's a bad deal.   Yes, I've heard they bought a bigger place.   That doesn't help anybody right now.  

People thinking about making this purchase should keep that in mind.   I'll admit, I should of done my homework better but I am an experienced pilot and not the type to risk flying it around obstacles.   I figured I could keep it in one piece.   I didn't figure internal failure at day 3.   I should of just waited and that's what I advise anyone thinking they need an inspire.   Don't do it unless you don't care about a 6-8 week turn around time.  All this may be happening very fast for them right now, but it's very frustrating for those whom own their products now.  Time will tell and I as well as others thinking about a purchase will be watching

2015-6-17
Use props
Abe
lvl.4
Flight distance : 524032 ft
  • >>>
United States

Welcome to the club, gixxertaylor. Expect it to take 7-8 weeks. Here's my story: http://forum.dji.com/thread-21916-1-1.html
2015-6-17
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2605 ft
  • >>>
United States

I just checked your ticket.  It does not indicate that your unit has been received.  When did you send it?
2015-6-17
Use props
FictitiousPerso
lvl.4
Flight distance : 303356 ft
Austria

Tahoe_Ed Posted at 2015-6-18 15:24
I just checked your ticket.  It does not indicate that your unit has been received.  When did you se ...

It's a flyaway

Sorry couldn't resist it
2015-6-18
Use props
PeteGould
lvl.4

United States

InspirelessAggi Posted at 2015-6-18 10:42
Why is it I can call tech support at Apple and tell them my problem and they send a replacement at my cost that day or next day?

I'm certainly not trying to defend DJI's decision process.  I disagree with a central repair facility as much as you do.  However I AM trying to provide a slightly different perspective.  Apple in its early days had more than its share of warts, because while Steve Jobs had some great ideas and a lot of moxy he was just as controlling as anybody at DJI.  And he was not hit by the kind of initial demand the Inspire apparently generated, so Apple had a chance to scale up just a bit less chaotically.  It's hard to compare Apple, which has been around since the 1980s when relatively few people knew they would ever WANT a personal computer, with a company like DJI that struck a nerve in a much more tech-aware era, even leaving the cultural issues out of it.

Tahoe says DJI had a bad quality control experience with dealer repairs of the Phantom and centralized them because they were being beaten up by angry customers and supplying parts for repeated failed repairs of the same aircraft.  While I would have responded by requiring repairer certification with required classroom training at DJI facilities (and making the process as strict as necessary), they decided to bring repairs in house.  They further made the decision to make the Inspire cheaper/easier/quicker to assemble at the expense of making it less friendly to repair than the kit-based products (fewer screws / more glue / need for special alignment jigs).  With an airborne device that can crash I think this was a mistake as well because the way not to be overrun in the repair department is to facilitate user repairs as well as local repairs, and just send out parts.

With that said, what I think happened was that Inspire sales far exceeded anything DJI ever imagined.  They got so many orders that they couldn't make parts fast enough just to keep up with demand, never mind stock up on repair inventory.  And they made the platform appear so easy to operate that people with zero experience snapped them up and then crashed them, overwhelming repairs while they were still struggling to make enough parts for manufacturing, and then overwhelming the repair facility with more incoming repairs (by orders of magnitude) than they had ever conceived of.  And that's BEFORE you add in the actual product defects.

At that point it would have been too late even to rethink the regionalized repair idea if they wanted to, since the only people who could train those regional repairers were up to their eyeballs fixing broken Inspires.

So I don't quite agree that at this juncture we can say that DJI doesn't care about their customer base.  They may or may not.  We will be able to tell as they dig out of the current mess and make decisions moving forward.  And it will not be instant because they've gotten themselves so overwhelmed.

I certainly don't disagree with your ultimate conclusion not to buy an Inspire unless you're comfortable with a six week repair turnaround.  I likely would have gone a different way myself if I could have forecast all this when I preordered in November - heck, I even selected a retailer on the basis that they had a robust in-house repair facility.  I also would have gone a different way had I realized the video encoding would be so overcompressed and that it would not be something they would quickly revisit and tweak. Such is the risk of preordering based on manufacturers' claims.

So ultimately we get to the same practical conclusion, just for slightly different reasons.

I do hope they ultimately redeem themselves, though, because there is enormous potential in that company to innovate, and the Inspire is ALMOST wonderful.  I would hate to see them squander their potential due to some poor logistical decisions.
2015-6-18
Use props
InspirelessAggi
lvl.4

United States

Thanks Pete.   I value your perspective.
2015-6-18
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Pete nice perspective that is close to what has actually happened.  Now when we get the new facility open we can address most of these issues.
2015-6-18
Use props
InspirelessAggi
lvl.4

United States

Tahoe_Ed Posted at 2015-6-19 04:07
Pete nice perspective that is close to what has actually happened.  Now when we get the new facility ...

let us know when the new facility is up and running.  I'm not spending any more coin on DJI until it is and things are fixed.
2015-6-18
Use props
gixxertaylor
lvl.1

United States

Tahoe_Ed Posted at 2015-6-18 15:24
I just checked your ticket.  It does not indicate that your unit has been received.  When did you se ...

I need to correct my dates. My inspire one was at your repair facility in LA on may 21st not the 18th. On June 8 it was checked into que. No word since. Thanks
2015-6-27
Use props
gixxertaylor
lvl.1

United States

Try 147895
2015-6-27
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Logged into ZenDesk on 6/8.  No additional comments since then.
2015-6-27
Use props
gixxertaylor
lvl.1

United States

Tahoe_Ed Posted at 2015-6-28 04:25

So is the new turn around time 8 to 10 weeks?
2015-6-28
Use props
kennykustom
lvl.1

Canada

I just picked mine up today from fedex. Total time was 4 weeks from the day they got it, till the day it left.
They told me they test fly everything. Not sure if thats true. Highly doubt it. For instance. Mine crashed due to a faulty FC. In the crash, the gimble cables and props were broken.
I was asked to send back the bird, remote and broken props. Done. To my utter shock and amazement.... They were nice enough to send me BACK my broken props, rather than replace them. I mean, cmon... Whats a set of props worth. To them, nothing... To me.... ALOT. There is no dealer within 800km of me... So. Now i must go online and purchase another spare set. Thats quality..
2015-6-30
Use props
CrabHawk
lvl.4
Flight distance : 7782 ft
  • >>>
United States

I sent mine in (Inspire1 sent via USPS to Torrance, Ca. June 1st 2015 4:30pm
Arrived at DJI in Torrance on June 3rd at 11:35am

Automated "Official" received unit 6-15-15 11:00am)
exactly 12 days to log it in. I expect it to be back in my hands sometime in August
2015-6-30
Use props
CrabHawk
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

gixxertaylor Posted at 2015-6-27 20:58
I need to correct my dates. My inspire one was at your repair facility in LA on may 21st not the 1 ...

Need to take into consideration a 3 day lag due to memorial day.
2015-6-30
Use props
CrabHawk
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

I wonder if 3d robotics will change the game and grab more market share as time goes on.
2015-6-30
Use props
gixxertaylor
lvl.1

United States

Tahoe_Ed Posted at 2015-6-28 04:25

My baby is on the way back. So relieved. I do have to admit the customer service, the people I talked to at the la repair facility, was great.  They seemed genuinely concerned but helpless in regards to my issues.
I went from unit checked in to your bird is being sent back tomorrow. Is this normal? If so, we need to and another stop or two to let the customer know what is going on. An estimated return date, x is what we found wrong, so forth.  I understand what the Dji repair facility is going through and peter's explanation above. Little things could calm the earlier complaints.  Thank you everyone.
2015-7-7
Use props
Outlander0088
lvl.3

United States

gixxertaylor Posted at 2015-7-8 06:04
My baby is on the way back. So relieved. I do have to admit the customer service, the people I tal ...

How about something as simple as...."You are 1,728 in the support queue."  At least you would have a countdown and could estimate the length of time to repair. I wouldn't think that would be too difficult to add to the ticket and update nightly.
2015-7-7
Use props
DJI-Dave
lvl.4

United States

CrabHawk Posted at 2015-7-1 09:32
I wonder if 3d robotics will change the game and grab more market share as time goes on.

So far it does not look like it. They are having all kinds of trouble.
2015-7-7
Use props
tobyrbrusseau
lvl.1

United States

CrabHawk Posted at 2015-7-1 09:29
Need to take into consideration a 3 day lag due to memorial day.

Hi There,

Do you happen to have the address of WHERE to send the Inspire 1 for repair in Torrance? No One is answering the phones in LA and haven't for days. Thank you!

Toby
2015-7-14
Use props
Perry
New

Brazil

tobyrbrusseau Posted at 2015-7-15 01:23
Hi There,

Do you happen to have the address of WHERE to send the Inspire 1 for repair in Torrance ...

Here is their old address:
DJI Technology, LLC
960 Knox St. Unit A
Torrance, CA 90502

As of July 13 they are moving and I haven't seen the new address posted anywhere.
2015-7-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules