OSMO Pocket Focus pumping issue
6089 39 2019-1-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
2yProducer
lvl.2
South Korea

Most videos have a pumping issue. It is a very critical issue. Have a plan to fix this?

2019-1-12
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day 2yProducer. Thank you for raising this concern today regarding the DJI Osmo Pocket. The best thing I can do to help is to forward this thread to our DJI R&D team for further development of the product. If you have any other concerns of suggestions. Please feel free to post it here at DJI Forum. We are here to help you. Thank you for your support.
2019-1-12
Use props
2yProducer
lvl.2
South Korea

DJI Stephen Posted at 1-12 11:27
Hello and good day 2yProducer. Thank you for raising this concern today regarding the DJI Osmo Pocket. The best thing I can do to help is to forward this thread to our DJI R&D team for further development of the product. If you have any other concerns of suggestions. Please feel free to post it here at DJI Forum. We are here to help you. Thank you for your support.

thank you for your response. have a nice day!
2019-1-18
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

2yProducer Posted at 1-18 03:56
thank you for your response. have a nice day!

You are very much welcome 2yProducer. Have a safe and happy filming always.
2019-1-18
Use props
TLC
lvl.1
Flight distance : 2224 ft
Germany

DJI Stephen Posted at 1-18 08:07
You are very much welcome 2yProducer. Have a safe and happy filming always.

Same problem here ! Severe focus pumping during every shot...
2019-1-19
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

TLC Posted at 1-19 02:19
Same problem here ! Severe focus pumping during every shot...

Hello and good day TLC. I am sorry to know that you are experiencing the same issue. I have already forwarded this thread to our DJI R&D Team. For the latest updates on the DJI Osmo Pocket. Kindly visit our official website at www.dji.com for more details. Thank you.
2019-1-19
Use props
Luke1081
lvl.1
United Kingdom

DJI Stephen Posted at 1-19 10:15
Hello and good day TLC. I am sorry to know that you are experiencing the same issue. I have already forwarded this thread to our DJI R&D Team. For the latest updates on the DJI Osmo Pocket. Kindly visit our official website at www.dji.com for more details. Thank you.

I guess my question is, Stephen - will and can the issue be fixed? Is it possible? If not, I'll have to send mine back as it's unusable with the pumping/focus issues. Thanks
2019-1-19
Use props
UweE
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1016775 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Guys! Why are you not reading the previous postings?
Every day the same questions:
focus pumping - no download of 4K vids to Iphone - bla bla bla

P.S.
as the DJI-staff members are always replying to this repeating posts with the same answers.
you might get the impressions, that there are robots working...
2019-1-19
Use props
Luke1081
lvl.1
United Kingdom

UweE Posted at 1-19 10:25
Guys! Why are you not reading the previous postings?
Every day the same questions:
focus pumping - no download of 4K vids to Iphone - bla bla bla

I've read previous postings, but it simply says that the issue will be forwaded to engineers. I would like to know if the issue CAN be fixed through firmware. I'll hang onto my DJI if so.
2019-1-19
Use props
Upscaleman
lvl.3
United States

Seriously, do we need 13,000 posts on focus pumping?
2019-1-19
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Luke1081 Posted at 1-19 10:24
I guess my question is, Stephen - will and can the issue be fixed? Is it possible? If not, I'll have to send mine back as it's unusable with the pumping/focus issues. Thanks

Hello and good day Luke1081. Thank you for the inquiry. As of the moment I do not have the information regarding this inquiry. Rest assured that our DJI R&D Team is already  checking this issue as of the moment to improve the said device.
2019-1-19
Use props
fans1f4a3127
Second Officer
Germany

Yes the cam has the Problem in AFC with Focusbumping i have made a lot of Video on a river and in the final on PC you are see a lot off bumping.

Sry for my english i am German
2019-1-19
Use props
hariedo
lvl.2
Flight distance : 10650 ft
Japan

I was thinking of getting the wireless module, but until the focus pumping problem is fixed, I am not spending more money down the Osmo Pocket channel. I am this || close to selling off the Pocket but wouldn't want to saddle somebody else with DJI's focus problem.

This video is using AFS, not AFC mode, but it doesn't really seem to matter. It just pumps regardless in either mode.
2019-1-19
Use props
Upscaleman
lvl.3
United States

Since I got my Osmo I've been paying a lot more attention to focus on YouTube, live news, etc......I haven't found ONE camera that didn't have a focus crapout.  Maybe wait until God himself issues a camera that makes you happy.
2019-1-19
Use props
wildlifr
lvl.4
Flight distance : 637815 ft
United States

Upscaleman Posted at 1-19 17:31
Since I got my Osmo I've been paying a lot more attention to focus on YouTube, live news, etc......I haven't found ONE camera that didn't have a focus crapout.  Maybe wait until God himself issues a camera that makes you happy.

So you've never watched a gopro video?
2019-1-19
Use props
Wiz33
Second Officer
Flight distance : 35994 ft
  • >>>
United States

wildlifr Posted at 1-19 17:41
So you've never watched a gopro video?

GoPro is fixed focus,There is no perfect auto focus system, every current auto focus method have it's own flaw. This include those found in top of the line DSLR.
2019-1-19
Use props
djiuser_Qy5rfICxTbf3
lvl.2
United States

DJI, please turn off AF when the mode is AFS and it's focused once to the area user selected. Don't need to keep trying to AF on the square. When user selects another area, focus once, and turn off AF.
2019-1-20
Use props
wildlifr
lvl.4
Flight distance : 637815 ft
United States

Wiz33 Posted at 1-19 23:24
GoPro is fixed focus,There is no perfect auto focus system, every current auto focus method have it's own flaw. This include those found in top of the line DSLR.

I'm aware that gopro has fixed focus, thus the reason it never has "focus crapout." I'm also aware of the focusing of high end DSLRs as I've been shooting with them for years.
2019-1-20
Use props
zu1
lvl.3

Japan

hariedo Posted at 1-19 15:58
I was thinking of getting the wireless module, but until the focus pumping problem is fixed, I am not spending more money down the Osmo Pocket channel. I am this || close to selling off the Pocket but wouldn't want to saddle somebody else with DJI's focus problem.

https://youtu.be/WtjVKzr9Dpo

This issues will be fixed by the next FW update. AF-s mode will open for the users care about the af-c pump issues.
Also AF-c will be tuning continually.  Thank for your feedback.
2019-1-21
Use props
WestWest
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2190187 ft
Hong Kong

Having the same focus pumping issue. Hope DJI fix it asap.
2019-1-22
Use props
djiuser_VKHqCtCMZpig
New
Malaysia

Just bought this device and am having the same issue, really annoying. Looking forward for the next FW update, hopefully solving the pumping issue and adding infinity focus.
2019-1-27
Use props
Paul_James
lvl.1
Flight distance : 113366 ft
Australia

Same issues with focus pumping!! It needs to get fixed asap by a FW update.
2019-1-27
Use props
JVJ
New
Malaysia

Hi, There was a firmware update! Saying it was reduced, 1.04.00.20. Ill try an see.
2019-1-31
Use props
fans687a79c2
lvl.4
Hong Kong

With the new update, pumping focus still can be observed at AFC. However, the AFS mode now can be used on a stand alone OP, just click on the small screen at where you want the focus be. Really a focus improvement via the new update.
2019-1-31
Use props
Vidfact
lvl.2
Flight distance : 56722 ft
United States

I have that problem from day 1 and finaly send the unit for evaluation....but Im afried that is how it is and will not be fix in this version of Osmo Pocket
And when I was searching for help on Osmo Pocket facebook page I was attack and block by DJI trolls..so it is big problem and being sucesfully avoid by DJI
For me the pumping focus make it totaly unusable videos...so try to fix it but so farr no lack.

2019-1-31
Use props
Wiz33
Second Officer
Flight distance : 35994 ft
  • >>>
United States

I think they reduce the increment of the focus hunt so the bump is not as noticeable, they may have also increase the frequency so more but smaller changes. Someone already posted a video on the new firmware at low light situation and it does look better, The bump still happens but in smaller increments, it's much smoother.

https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... D549%26typeid%3D549
2019-1-31
Use props
MagicRide
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6766027 ft
United States

I may have a defective unit or something but I still have noticeable pumping and the focus is slow. When I move the osmo from one scene to another (slowly)  there is a lot blurr and the image is out of focus when it stops. This makes my footage trash. I don't know if this is just my unit because on youtube I see beautifully filmed focused material from many owners.
2019-1-31
Use props
Dabow
lvl.2
Flight distance : 161240 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Well I’ve just had all of the footage I shot today ruined by this focus pumping mess and that was in AFS running the latest firmware.  Why the hell would you have the focus hunting in AFS mode??! How this ever got past initial QC with this problem is baffling, but as long as they sell DJI probably don’t care. Meanwhile those of us that bought the Pocket have to suffer with what is a pretty serious issue unless you’re only filming the wife and kids or the family pet. Sort it out DJI please, and soon, because the Pocket is only useful as an expensive paperweight right now.
2019-2-1
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Dabow Posted at 2-1 11:35
Well I’ve just had all of the footage I shot today ruined by this focus pumping mess and that was in AFS running the latest firmware.  Why the hell would you have the focus hunting in AFS mode??! How this ever got past initial QC with this problem is baffling, but as long as they sell DJI probably don’t care. Meanwhile those of us that bought the Pocket have to suffer with what is a pretty serious issue unless you’re only filming the wife and kids or the family pet. Sort it out DJI please, and soon, because the Pocket is only useful as an expensive paperweight right now.

Maybe you will put up some of your footage from today.
2019-2-1
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

fans687a79c2 Posted at 1-31 06:18
With the new update, pumping focus still can be observed at AFC. However, the AFS mode now can be used on a stand alone OP, just click on the small screen at where you want the focus be. Really a focus improvement via the new update.

Maybe put up some footage so we can see how bad it is, only footage I’m seeing is footage before updates.
2019-2-1
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

fans687a79c2 Posted at 1-31 06:18
With the new update, pumping focus still can be observed at AFC. However, the AFS mode now can be used on a stand alone OP, just click on the small screen at where you want the focus be. Really a focus improvement via the new update.

Maybe put up some footage so we can see how bad it is, only footage I’m seeing is footage before updates.
2019-2-1
Use props
fans33fb6b33
lvl.3
Flight distance : 81834 ft
  • >>>
Germany

New firmware isn't fixing the pumping . Why not a single focus event, until I start pressing the screen again, DJI??
2019-2-3
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
Second Officer

United Kingdom

I have found that the main cause of focus pumping on the Osmo Pocket is the face detection system.
When filming scenes with more than one person in the frame it is better to have the Osomo Pocket linked to the phone and draw a box around the area or subject you want to be in focus.
You will notice the box expands and contracts a lot while in use but that the focus does not pump anywhere near as much as when using face detect. On average, when filming a wide area where there are people in the shot, the larger the box you draw, the more stable the image becomes.
Where there are no people or just one person within a scene face detection produce less to no pumping.

Despite the narrow focus caused by using such a large aperture, the face detection system when used in the right circumstances is amazingly accurate even in extremely low light.  

2019-2-4
Use props
suhaid
lvl.1

Hungary

Ray-CubeAce Posted at 2-4 00:00
I have found that the main cause of focus pumping on the Osmo Pocket is the face detection system.
When filming scenes with more than one person in the frame it is better to have the Osomo Pocket linked to the phone and draw a box around the area or subject you want to be in focus.
You will notice the box expands and contracts a lot while in use but that the focus does not pump anywhere near as much as when using face detect. On average, when filming a wide area where there are people in the shot, the larger the box you draw, the more stable the image becomes.

Thanks for this, very helpful. I guess there is no way to disable FaceTrack when the camera is forward facing. I do not have the OP and tried to figure out from the online manual - which says FaceTrack is enabled is a face is detected, and when used selfie direction FaceTrack is automatically enabled.
2019-2-18
Use props
AndyUS19
lvl.2

United States

I have latest firmware update on OP. AFS has no pumping issue, at least to my case, But I have to keep tapping square focus point when i want to focus. AFC still have problem with pumping focus.  I'm going to return OP and wait for the next generation of OP (hopefully).
2019-2-18
Use props
AndyUS19
lvl.2

United States

MagicRide Posted at 1-31 17:59
I may have a defective unit or something but I still have noticeable pumping and the focus is slow. When I move the osmo from one scene to another (slowly)  there is a lot blurr and the image is out of focus when it stops. This makes my footage trash. I don't know if this is just my unit because on youtube I see beautifully filmed focused material from many owners.

I experience the same thing , but no often.  Maybe I test it in a good light condition (daylight near window) . Also I have latest firmware updated.
2019-2-18
Use props
Punchbuggy
First Officer
Flight distance : 483166 ft
  • >>>
Australia

I'm on latest firmware also, and have focus issues occasionally but enough to have to discard key segments. Sigh. Just to keep threads together, I'm posting the one I started here:
https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... D549%26typeid%3D549

Hallmark made an interesting point in that thread about the focussing logic. If it's true, that DJI have dealt with it differently in the Mavic firmware, it'd make sense for them to take a similar approach with the Pocket.
2019-2-18
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
Second Officer

United Kingdom

suhaid Posted at 2-18 08:41
Thanks for this, very helpful. I guess there is no way to disable FaceTrack when the camera is forward facing. I do not have the OP and tried to figure out from the online manual - which says FaceTrack is enabled is a face is detected, and when used selfie direction FaceTrack is automatically enabled.

The pocket is better used with a phone, but even without one when forward facing it doesn't switch focus just because it detects a face unless it was tracking a face from the start. Using AFS rather than AFC helps keep the focus at a pre-arranged distance but can be changed at any time by double tapping the screen to fix to a different distance. AFC always seems to eventually settle to whatever is in the center of the screen.
When panning, the focus can get slightly lost producing a slight out of focus soft look for a short period and then settles as the pan slows or halts. Most of the time I use AFS and focus about a third of the way into the scene so a sort of a false hyperfocal length. Then when needed I will double tap the screen if needed. AFC does a reasonable job in good light where strong contrast is present but again tends to focus on whatever is in the center of the screen. This is where using a phone becomes handy if you need to focus elsewhere in the frame. I personally am finding the footage most usable. My son has ditched his Go-Pro Hero Black for an Osmo Pocket and today texted me saying he had produced his most stable images yet and loves its better low light focusing capabilities as most of his footage is taken underground. Both of us also use DSLRs for video and the Osmo Pocket, by comparison, is much easier to use in more situations than our DSLRs. It may not be a DH5 but it does a reasonable job for the money and is much better than some cameras costing a great deal more. This, of course, is just my opinion, but I'm pleased with my purchase and it is my first DJI product. Normally I wouldn't have considered anything this cheap as being viable. It does have drawbacks. Fixed focal length and fixed aperture being two, but what it does it does well enough if you understand it's shortcomings and does more than I would have expected at this price point. I think most of those disappointed with the Osmo Pocket expected a smartphone experience which the Osmo Pocket is not. It needs work and a bit of understanding to get the best out of it even though the auto modes work well enough.
2019-2-18
Use props
djiuser_Qy5rfICxTbf3
lvl.2
United States

Why not use focus lock by holding the focus area for a second? Although I can only seem to do it when my phone is connected, focus lock works great for me.
2019-2-18
Use props
Rocp
lvl.2
Flight distance : 578799 ft
Australia

This is the only reason I haven't purchased an OP yet. I can deal with bad audio, but focus hunting is sinful in any video. This is not acceptable for the price point of $599 Australian.
2019-2-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules