New Canadian regulations
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Johnnyv
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2798707 ft
Canada

In Canada as of June 1 2019, we will be required to have a special pilot certificate to fly any drone  weighing over 250g up to 25 kilograms. Over 25Kg, there are other special requirements. The 250 gram to 25Kg is divided into 2 categories. Basic and advanced.

The new rules also increase the maximum altitude you can fly from 300ft to 400ft and allow for night flight as long as the drone has proper lighting..

Currently the DJI drones will not fly above 300 feet here. Will DJI be sending an update to increase the altitude to 400 feet for June 1?

FYI I have already obtained my Pilot certificate and Drone registration. Total cost $15.00

https://www.tc.gc.ca/en/services ... tp-15263.html#toc-1

2019-1-12
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day Johnnyv. Thank you for sharing this very informative information regarding the new law that will take in effect on June 01, 2019. This information will be very useful to all our drone pilots in Canada and thank you for your support. As of the moment I do not yet have the list of drone that will be included that are intended to be declared. Rest assured once the list is finalized it will be posted on our official website at www.dji.com. Thank you for your patience and support with this matter. Thank you.
2019-1-12
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Got ya covered...

https://forum.dji.com/thread-177261-1-2.html

Fly responsibly...

RedHotPoker
2019-1-12
Use props
greybeard
lvl.1
Flight distance : 416004 ft
Canada

Never had a problem going above 90 m or 300 before.  Just set it in the app and off we went.
2019-1-12
Use props
Johnnyv
lvl.3
Canada

greybeard Posted at 1-12 13:51
Never had a problem going above 90 m or 300 before.  Just set it in the app and off we went.

Are you in Canada? The current rules limit you to 300. I assumed DJI programmed that in. My drone brakes at 300 even though I haven't limited it myself.
2019-1-12
Use props
Cetacean
First Officer
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

Johnnyv Posted at 1-12 14:03
Are you in Canada? The current rules limit you to 300. I assumed DJI programmed that in. My drone brakes at 300 even though I haven't limited it myself.

Aloha Johnny,

Down below in the lower 48 and outliers, we can set our max altitude to 500 meters which is 1640 feet and fly accordingly.  Does Canada recognize that the altitude limitation is based on altitude above a structure?  A structure has been defined as a tall tree, mountain, building, bridge, etc.

Aloha and Drone On!
2019-1-12
Use props
greybeard
lvl.1
Flight distance : 416004 ft
Canada

Yes, I'm in Canada, and the DJI app has not forced a height limit on the drone. In fact - full disclosure - to see if the Phantom 3 would do as the manual said, I set it to unlimited and went 1400 feet straight up before it lost contact with the controller (thank goodness for RTH).  I'll never do that again.    Now I've set it to 122 metres or 400 feet and no issues.  HOpefully DJI won't get proactive about hardwiring the app and the Federal government will just let it all go.
2019-1-12
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Yes, No, we in Canada , have not been restricted with that height limitation, built in.

I’ve went up to 1000ft,  & even though it’s a pretty cool long view of the big sky, there isn’t that much more good about it.

RedHotPoker

2019-1-12
Use props
Johnnyv
lvl.3
Canada

Cetacean Posted at 1-12 17:09
Aloha Johnny,

Down below in the lower 48 and outliers, we can set our max altitude to 500 meters which is 1640 feet and fly accordingly.  Does Canada recognize that the altitude limitation is based on altitude above a structure?  A structure has been defined as a tall tree, mountain, building, bridge, etc.

I think you are referring to Flight rule for licensed VFR and IFR pilots. They have a minimum altitude they must maintain above the ground , structures etc. I haven't flown a plane for many years so don't quote me, but I think the distance is 500 feet. The new drone regulations state a maximum altitude of 400 feet AGL. The idea is to keep separation between small aircraft and drones I would presume.
2019-1-13
Use props
Johnnyv
lvl.3
Canada

greybeard Posted at 1-12 19:36
Yes, I'm in Canada, and the DJI app has not forced a height limit on the drone. In fact - full disclosure - to see if the Phantom 3 would do as the manual said, I set it to unlimited and went 1400 feet straight up before it lost contact with the controller (thank goodness for RTH).  I'll never do that again.    Now I've set it to 122 metres or 400 feet and no issues.  HOpefully DJI won't get proactive about hardwiring the app and the Federal government will just let it all go.

Turns out I set the max limit to 100 meters. I will leave it at that until June. I live on the shores of Lake Erie in unrestricted airspace and we regularly get yahoo pilots well under 500 feet flying along the coastline. I'm surprised that you went to a height of 1500 feet and lost control. I've flown out over he lake just under 3 miles before I started losing signal.
2019-1-13
Use props
Cetacean
First Officer
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

Johnnyv Posted at 1-13 04:56
I think you are referring to Flight rule for licensed VFR and IFR pilots. They have a minimum altitude they must maintain above the ground , structures etc. I haven't flown a plane for many years so don't quote me, but I think the distance is 500 feet. The new drone regulations state a maximum altitude of 400 feet AGL. The idea is to keep separation between small aircraft and drones I would presume.

Aloha Johnny,

Actually, I am referring to the US Latitudinally below Canada and Outlier States like Hawai'i and Alaska.  Of course we have different regulations but our regulations often have a shared resource, but not always.

In the US, under the FAA regulations, drone pilots (hobbyist and Pt. 107) have an altitude limit of 400 feet above a structure.  Most often that structure is ground level.  Manned aircraft have an altitude limit of 500 feet above a structure.  This provides 100 feet of separation between manned and unmanned aircraft in the US.  You noted a similar principle in Canada.

But, the key down here is altitude above a structure.  I live in a jungle next to and below cliffs that max out at 2000 or so feet.  I like to fly up to 1640 feet on the cliff and ridge faces - well within the 400 foot limitation.  This 1640 feet is 500 meters and is the max altitude provided by the DJI computer limitation in DJI GO 4 and DJI GO.

It all works out well here for me.  I hope the new Canadian regulations do as well as for you.  Is there a structural equivalent in Canada for altitude issues?

Aloha and Drone On!
2019-1-14
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Ken, you seriously need to consider visiting us, up here sometime and flying  our mountains. ;-)

RedHotPoker
2019-1-14
Use props
mattn85
lvl.1
Flight distance : 246056 ft
Canada

Good morning.
I currently hold an SFOC for my companies P4P and we use it to take pictures of construction sites. I like the look of the new regulations and how fast a basic user can get started, but currently some of our work in inside controlled air space. I see that there is a list for drones to be approved by TC on their website Approved Drone list but does anyone know if the DJI P4P will be able to qualify for flights in controlled air space even though it is not on the list?

Thanks
2019-1-15
Use props
Johnnyv
lvl.3
Canada

Cetacean Posted at 1-14 03:19
Aloha Johnny,

Actually, I am referring to the US Latitudinally below Canada and Outlier States like Hawai'i and Alaska.  Of course we have different regulations but our regulations often have a shared resource, but not always.

Thanks for the clarification. Our largest hill here is the local landfill. South west Ontario is a bit like the prairies. vary flat.

Cheers!
2019-1-15
Use props
Johnnyv
lvl.3
Canada

mattn85 Posted at 1-15 09:32
Good morning.
I currently hold an SFOC for my companies P4P and we use it to take pictures of construction sites. I like the look of the new regulations and how fast a basic user can get started, but currently some of our work in inside controlled air space. I see that there is a list for drones to be approved by TC on their website Approved Drone list but does anyone know if the DJI P4P will be able to qualify for flights in controlled air space even though it is not on the list?

DJI has not decided yet what drones will make the list. Apparently they are working on it now.
2019-1-15
Use props
Dirtyrobot
New
Canada

Johnnyv Posted at 1-15 11:07
DJI has not decided yet what drones will make the list. Apparently they are working on it now.

Hopefully it won't take too long.
2019-1-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules