Why I returned my DJI Pocket...
1392 28 2019-1-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
C.Films
lvl.2
Canada

I picked mine up a few weeks ago, and was very excited for it. But after using it for two weeks, I discovered a few issues that made me second guess owning it. But the main dealbreaker ended up being its dependents on a smartphone. I went to one of my local parks to film the Christmas Lights they setup, and had specific pro settings set. My phone was at 60% battery, but because it was so cold outside, the iPhone did a force shut off (came back on later after warming it up. Battery still at 60%). The Pocket however kept filming for the rest of the hour, which was great. But here’s the problem: I couldn’t change my settings. Because the phone couldn’t power back on, my options were to keep filming with the settings I had, and not be able to change anything, or switch everything to auto. And I was filming in 24 frames, so going auto would switch me to 30. And that’s why it was a dealbreaker. My frame rate and shutter settings shouldn’t suffer just to switch to a better ISO, and be forced to film with everything on auto, 30 frames a second. I also couldn’t really tell if the focus was focusing on whatever I was filming with that small screen. Other issues being no D-Cinelike mode at this time, and external auto still not an option yet. But the main issue was the dependence on the phone. And the Control Wheel accessory doesn’t seem to solve this either.

Now if they solve this problem in a firmware, or a new assesscory, I’ll consider rebuying it. Because I really wanted to love this camera. But that one situation alone scared me away from keeping it. Either let me custom pro settings without the phone, or allow me to switch to different profile settings, without being forced back to auto everything, 30 frames a second. Also maybe add some focus peaking.

2019-1-12
Use props
BrianKushner
Second Officer
Flight distance : 41420253 ft
  • >>>
United States

My window for return ends today. I haven't used it much and when I did I had issues...Guess I have to decide pretty fast.
2019-1-12
Use props
Holga
lvl.2

United States

BrianKushner Posted at 1-12 09:20
My window for return ends today. I haven't used it much and when I did I had issues...Guess I have to decide pretty fast.

Return it and get another when they fix the issues. Mine is going back today.
2019-1-12
Use props
Upscaleman
lvl.3
United States

So you're returning your Osmo Pocket because you can't manage to keep your phone charged?
2019-1-12
Use props
C.Films
lvl.2
Canada

Upscaleman Posted at 1-12 11:00
So you're returning your Osmo Pocket because you can't manage to keep your phone charged?

Did you not read the post? My iPhone shut off from the cold. It’s was still half charged even after getting it out the cold. I was able to keep using my phone when I got home without charging. Charge wasn’t the problem. Even if it was, say your phones battery died, and you need your phone to control a device, then this is a problem if that devices “depends” on the phone to change settings. If you don’t see the problem with this, then I guess you prefer filming in 30 frames, with everything on auto.
2019-1-12
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

C.Films Posted at 1-12 11:04
Did you not read the post? My iPhone shut off from the cold. It’s was still half charged even after getting it out the cold. I was able to keep using my phone when I got home without charging. Charge wasn’t the problem. Even if it was, say your phones battery died, and you need your phone to control a device, then this is a problem if that devices “depends” on the phone to change settings. If you don’t see the problem with this, then I guess you prefer filming in 30 frames, with everything on auto.

Cold was the problem for your phone not for your Osmo that’s a plus for Osmo, I imagine you probably spent 3 times the money on your phone that gives up when the weather turns, Im surprised you haven’t returned the phone or are your standards lower when it comes to a phone, I think your looking for a professional camera but as anyone who’s even an interest knows there are very few cameras that are perfect, but most enthusiasts learn how to get the best out of their cameras,  I have seen go pro7 in low light it’s appalling , so that’s not going to help you, maybe a GH5 it costs 10 times as much and has as many problems with contrast focusing .
Osmo Pocket is a great little camera not perfect by any means , but in this price bracket it has an awful lot going for it.
I think if you’ve already returned it, there’s nothing that FW can do to do to meet all your needs, maybe you can let us know what camera in this price bracket you would be happy with.
2019-1-12
Use props
Moni Johnson
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1375846 ft
  • >>>
United States

Upscaleman Posted at 1-12 11:00

He returned it because he does not have access to his desired shooting settings without a cell phone attached. It's a logical thing to have an issue with. I assume in a firmware update DJI can open up access to more controls with the OP standalone though. Hopefully.
2019-1-12
Use props
C.Films
lvl.2
Canada

hallmark007 Posted at 1-12 11:37
Cold was the problem for your phone not for your Osmo that’s a plus for Osmo, I imagine you probably spent 3 times the money on your phone that gives up when the weather turns, Im surprised you haven’t returned the phone or are your standards lower when it comes to a phone, I think your looking for a professional camera but as anyone who’s even an interest knows there are very few cameras that are perfect, but most enthusiasts learn how to get the best out of their cameras,  I have seen go pro7 in low light it’s appalling , so that’s not going to help you, maybe a GH5 it costs 10 times as much and has as many problems with contrast focusing .
Osmo Pocket is a great little camera not perfect by any means , but in this price bracket it has an awful lot going for it.
I think if you’ve already returned it, there’s nothing that FW can do to do to meet all your needs, maybe you can let us know what camera in this price bracket you would be happy with.

Again, my complaint is that it depends too much on the phone for settings. Are you for real saying you don’t want to have full control over the pocket without a phone? Are you for real saying this can’t be fixed with a future firmware? And if your phone gets lost, breaks, refuses to turn on for weather, or dies during an event, are you really saying this is not a problem that you’re forced to use your last settings, or have everything set to auto, 30 frames a second if you can’t make the changes with your phone? Because I’ve been in this situation, and I didn’t like it.

Because if I lose access for any reason to settings, and I can’t stop life events till I find a solution to access settings, then that’s a problem. That’s why it was a deal breaker for me.
2019-1-12
Use props
C.Films
lvl.2
Canada

Deleted post. It was a repeated posted. Bugged out for whatever the reason. Fixing.

2019-1-12
Use props
C.Films
lvl.2
Canada

Moni Johnson Posted at 1-12 11:39
He returned it because he does not have access to his desired shooting settings without a cell phone attached. It's a logical thing to have an issue with. I assume in a firmware update DJI can open up access to more controls with the OP standalone though. Hopefully.

That’s what I’m hoping for. Even giving me pre-made profile settings I can switch back and forth from without the phone would be a good enough work around for me.
2019-1-12
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

C.Films Posted at 1-12 11:46
Again, my complaint is that it depends too much on the phone for settings. Are you for real saying you don’t want to have full control over the pocket without a phone? Are you for real saying this can’t be fixed with a future firmware? And if your phone gets lost, breaks, or dies during an event, are you really saying this is not a problem that you’re forced to use your last settings, or have everything set to auto, 30 frames a second if you can’t make the changes with your phone?

Because if I lose access for any reason to settings, and I can’t stop life events till I find a solution to access settings, then that’s a problem. That’s why it was a deal breaker for me.

Even with latest FW you can change frame rate direct on OP, dji Mindy has already said that being able to change manual finctions  will be available in early February, OP has been released about a month and has improved with last FW will improve with FW early February .

I bought a Fiji XT2 a year ago some of the features of that camera were not available unless you purchased a battery grip, Camera cost €1600, grip €320, its part of life with tech, i have waited for FW on many things from phones to laptops, but I believe sometimes people buy stuff without properly researching and then suffer buyers remorse, I don’t know if this is the case with you, but you waited a very short time before making up your mind on this IMO.
2019-1-12
Use props
C.Films
lvl.2
Canada

hallmark007 Posted at 1-12 12:16
Even with latest FW you can change frame rate direct on OP, dji Mindy has already said that being able to change manual finctions  will be available in early February, OP has been released about a month and has improved with last FW will improve with FW early February .

I bought a Fiji XT2 a year ago some of the features of that camera were not available unless you purchased a battery grip, Camera cost €1600, grip €320, its part of life with tech, i have waited for FW on many things from phones to laptops, but I believe sometimes people buy stuff without properly researching and then suffer buyers remorse, I don’t know if this is the case with you, but you waited a very short time before making up your mind on this IMO.

At this point in time, you can only change the frame rate from 30 to 60 without the phone. 24frames and other frame rates are exclusive to the phone. Thus, if you set the Osmo Pocket with the phone to 24, and then tried changing anything without the phone, it takes you out of whatever manual settings you have, and forces you to only use Non-Pro mode settings. Thus, back to only 30 or 60, even if all you want changed is auto IOS. So you’re forced to choose between staying on whatever settings you last set the camera, or switching to auto, 30 or 60.

Now if they do fix this in a future firmware, then I’ll consider rebuying it. But I’ve been burned in the past from waiting on cameras to get firmware features later. Thus I returned it, and waiting to see what DJI does.
2019-1-12
Use props
steve1975i
lvl.4
Flight distance : 161847 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

What cameras will you be replacing it with? I say plural since you seem very concerned with redundancy yet only had one pocket?
2019-1-12
Use props
C.Films
lvl.2
Canada

steve1975i Posted at 1-12 12:48
What cameras will you be replacing it with? I say plural since you seem very concerned with redundancy yet only had one pocket?

Honestly, not sure yet. I did consider the GoPro 7 as a possible replacement. I owned the GoPro 5 Black in the past, and really liked it. My only complaint was low light with it, which sadly the 7 hasn’t resolved. But as a portable pocket camera, I really dug it as an alternate camera to use along side my DSLR. I owned the original Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera for this reason as well, because having such a small camera you can put anywhere is very handy. That’s why the DJI Pocket interested me, with its 2.0 Fstop, and being a pocket gimbel. But again, that one incident alone convince me enough I that didn’t wanna go through it twice. And without the Cinelike profile, it’s hard to match your footage up with another camera. Thus, I returned it till hopefully a future update comes out, or I get another camera instead.
2019-1-12
Use props
CubbyJonson
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Using a phone should be an option..not a necessity
2019-1-12
Use props
RobCass
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

C.Films Posted at 1-12 12:30
At this point in time, you can only change the frame rate from 30 to 60 without the phone. 24frames and other frame rates are exclusive to the phone. Thus, if you set the Osmo Pocket with the phone to 24, and then tried changing anything without the phone, it takes you out of whatever manual settings you have, and forces you to only use Non-Pro mode settings. Thus, back to only 30 or 60, even if all you want changed is auto IOS. So you’re forced to choose between staying on whatever settings you last set the camera, or switching to auto, 30 or 60.

Now if they do fix this in a future firmware, then I’ll consider rebuying it. But I’ve been burned in the past from waiting on cameras to get firmware features later. Thus I returned it, and waiting to see what DJI does.

The latest FW from last week allows you change the frame rate on the OSMO Pocket directly (Do not need to be connected to a smartphone).
It offers 25, 30, 50 and 60 fps directly from the device.
2019-1-12
Use props
C.Films
lvl.2
Canada

RobCass Posted at 1-12 17:18
The latest FW from last week allows you change the frame rate on the OSMO Pocket directly (Do not need to be connected to a smartphone).
It offers 25, 30, 50 and 60 fps directly from the device.

What about 24 frames?
2019-1-12
Use props
darkfull1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 13114 ft
Switzerland

Sound more like you should change phone.
2019-1-12
Use props
Alex Uzan
lvl.1

France

I get what you mean.
2019-1-12
Use props
C.Films
lvl.2
Canada

darkfull1 Posted at 1-12 17:49
Sound more like you should change phone.

Lol. Most phones don’t last long in the Canadian Winter cold. Even Androids. Probably because many phones are designed around preventing overheating, that the cold eventually starts effecting the lithium. Osmo on the other hand was creating its own heat from long use, thus it kept going.
2019-1-12
Use props
M2Wair
First Officer
Flight distance : 1192231 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

The issue was your phone and  nothing to do with the osmo, right. Your phone died and you can only see an issue with the fully working osmo pocket! Ahhh hello, the osmo didnt stop working right, despite the cold. Your phone died.

Sorry fella, you have unrealistic expectations for extensively a 350 dollar camera system that outpunches its weight.
2019-1-12
Use props
C.Films
lvl.2
Canada

M2Wair Posted at 1-12 18:17
The issue was your phone and  nothing to do with the osmo, right. Your phone died and you can only see an issue with the fully working osmo pocket! Ahhh hello, the osmo didnt stop working right, despite the cold. Your phone died.

Sorry fella, you have unrealistic expectations

Again my problem is that it depends on a phone for pro settings, with many settings not being able to be change without a phone. That is my problem. It’s not unrealistic to want the Osmos to allow full control without a phone. If you forgot your phone, or it broke, or it ran out of battery, can you tell real life to stop while you get a solution done for your phone being out of the picture? Not really. Thus, the Osmos should allow full control, and not limit controls and settings without the phone.
2019-1-12
Use props
Alex Uzan
lvl.1

France

No, the issue is that you need a phone to change settings that could (and should) be easily changed directly on the Osmo.
Like C.films, I bought a GimbalCam, not an Addon to my phone.
2019-1-12
Use props
BeterBan
lvl.4
Austria

C.Films Posted at 1-12 17:19
What about 24 frames?

Huhuhu, Peter Jackson an Steven Spielberg have 48 fps,
I think I must return my DJI Pocket because it doesn't offer 48 fps
... even not with iPhone for $ 1899!  

24 fps since 90 years ...  and has sooooo a loooong beard!
2019-1-12
Use props
C.Films
lvl.2
Canada

BeterBan Posted at 1-12 18:32
Huhuhu, Peter Jackson an Steven Spielberg have 48 fps,
I think I must return my DJI Pocket because it doesn't offer 48 fps
... even not with iPhone for $ 1899!  

Lol. What can I say, I’m old fashioned. One foot in Flintstomes, and the other in George Jetson.
2019-1-12
Use props
M2Wair
First Officer
Flight distance : 1192231 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

C.Films Posted at 1-12 18:23
Again my problem is that it depends on a phone for pro settings, with many settings not being able to be change without a phone. That is my problem. It’s not unrealistic to want the Osmos to allow full control without a phone. If you forgot your phone, or it broke, or it ran out of battery, can you tell real life to stop while you get a solution done for your phone being out of the picture? Not really. Thus, the Osmos should allow full control, and not limit controls and settings without the phone.

I get that, seriously I do, and i do hope DJI can do something in a future FW update, but first i hope they tackle the minor hit or miss focusing issues in low light.

Can it be achieved yes i think it can, will it, who knows, but maybe not on this version and price point. More likely A future Pro version at an additional cost.

2019-1-12
Use props
Moni Johnson
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1375846 ft
  • >>>
United States

M2Wair Posted at 1-12 18:17
The issue was your phone and  nothing to do with the osmo, right. Your phone died and you can only see an issue with the fully working osmo pocket! Ahhh hello, the osmo didnt stop working right, despite the cold. Your phone died.

Sorry fella, you have unrealistic expectations for extensively a 350 dollar camera system that outpunches its weight.

I feel some of those replying are completely missing the point of this post. The issue was not that his phone stopped working. The issue is that the OP is significantly limited by itself when compared to features you can access with a phone, and there is not much sense in why you cannot change certain settings with the OP alone. It's marketed as this great, portable, standalone product but it requires you to use it with another (larger?) device to access some of the most basic functions you would want from a camera.

I believe the OP's (original Poster's) expectations for the OP (Osmo Pocket) are fair. I also believe DJI will open up the other options in standalone mode.

Don't get me wrong. The OP is great IMO but I would also love to use it more thoroughly without connecting a mobile device to it. Keep in mind, the OP already has these additional features. We just want access to them in standalone.
2019-1-13
Use props
Cameleon
lvl.4
Flight distance : 60394 ft
United Kingdom

Think they sorely need a blitz on the on-device UI. Now they have double/triple click for some functions, they don't (IMO) need the dedicated UI options too. Free these up for Pro mode on device and it will be an amazing device. Also when in on-device pro mode, it would be great to see ISO/exposure time on the bottom, so when adding ND filters you can see straight away if you are hitting the 180 rule. I dont think the small screen precludes it having pro-mode accessible without the phone, I can see how many people want to be able to set this up partly/fully manual with just the device. I'm sure its coming, and I will love it when it does
2019-1-14
Use props
El Diablo
Second Officer

Germany

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2019-1-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules