Phatom 3 Pro Camera Not Sharp?
15328 29 2015-6-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
allengambrell
lvl.1

United States

I am a professional photographer and I just got a Phantom 3 Pro yesterday.
The camera does not seem sharp at all! It is like the lens is out of focus. I cannot find anything that is really sharp in the image
I have had a P2 with a GoPro3 and it was much sharper than this, but distorted.

Could someone else look at the images below and tell me it all Phantom 3's are like this? Or ist it just mine?

If it is just mine, what is the best thing to do to get a replacement?

Here is a full rez crop from the center of the image with links to a dng and jpg image straight off the card.

DNG Image: https://www.sugarsync.com/pf/D1639336_93239935_206508
Jpeg Image: https://www.sugarsync.com/pf/D1639336_93239935_206519

Thanks

P3 Sharpness

P3 Sharpness
2015-6-4
Use props
Mark97564
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2067749 ft
United States

Here is what a picture looks like taken from my P3P..   Hope it helps answering your question
Https://www.dropbox.com/s/l7ujfir02zn0xb2/dji_0143.jpg?dl=0
2015-6-4
Use props
Mark97564
lvl.4
United States

http://youtu.be/Xtq2L-Up_wI

Here is a video also.. I uploaded it in 4k so if you have a 4k monitor it should stream in 4k..  Watch the video in you tube because when you watch it thru this forum you only get 480P or less
2015-6-4
Use props
allengambrell
lvl.1

United States

The plastic over the lens was off and the foam thing from between the gimbal and body.

2015-6-4
Use props
Robharris07
lvl.2

United States

allengambrell@g Posted at 2015-6-5 10:04
The plastic over the lens was off and the foam thing from between the gimbal and body.

After reading a lot on the forum, most people are shooting in 4k, and download a view that will screen shot at 4k resolution. That's the best way to get a hi res photo. Good luck!
2015-6-4
Use props
BobbyB
lvl.1

United States

I'm viewing on a iMac 5K Retina and did a frame capture from my last video.  My frames look sharper than yours, and, I realized later I left the plastic cover on the lens.
I went back and looked at some still shots done with a 12mp Olympus E-PL1 to get a comparison and the old Olympus is sharper then the P3Pro.
2015-6-4
Use props
Spankybear
lvl.4
Flight distance : 685089 ft
United States

?? My advanced takes sharp pictures

2015-6-4
Use props
Mark97564
lvl.4
United States

I don't think you can really tell the quality of a pic uploading it to a thread with a 2mb limit..  Best way is to put the photo or video in Dropbox or something similar and leave a link to it
2015-6-4
Use props
allengambrell
lvl.1

United States

That image from Spankybear does look much sharper, but I would like to see the full rez file. Anyone else got one.

I provided have links to the images off the card in the first post.

DNG Image: https://www.sugarsync.com/pf/D1639336_93239935_206508
Jpeg Image: https://www.sugarsync.com/pf/D1639336_93239935_206519

If I take a screenshot of 4k video then that is lower resolution than the dng file and would show the problem less.

2015-6-5
Use props
Larry L
lvl.3

United States

allengrambrell, I too had a P3 that shot stills out of focus. I took some test shots with it & my Vision+. I was not happy at all with the P3. I purchased it to take stills inside. I can't use out of focus images. When showing the images to the dealer, they agreed that the images were indeed soft. They sent it back to DJI & have ordered me a replacement. As soon as it comes in, (they estimate next week) we are going to take it out at the shop & shoot some images. If it is also soft, they are going to refund my money.  I am hoping I am wrong but I am thinking the new one will be the same way, as it probably has something to do with the new lens in the camera.
2015-6-5
Use props
allengambrell
lvl.1

United States

I bought mine from Newegg.com and after I did I saw that they have it listed as manufactur return only.
I would have not bought it from newegg if I would have seen this.

So I guess I have to let DJI handle it. Sounds like fun!

I just mainly wanted to see if it was just mine or all of them.
2015-6-5
Use props
Larry L
lvl.3

United States

allengambrell@g Posted at 2015-6-6 01:16
I bought mine from Newegg.com and after I did I saw that they have it listed as manufactur return on ...

I do not know if it is all, most,  some or a few. A camera that is out of focus is just no good to me. I would like to see some stills from the Inspire1 to see if they arr better.  The video looked great on mine, just stills were soft.
2015-6-5
Use props
ditzlerphoto
lvl.2
Flight distance : 37470 ft
  • >>>
United States

I assume you know you can tap on the screen of the app to tell the camera where to focus. Did you try that?
2015-6-6
Use props
isaache
lvl.3
Spain

ditzlerphoto Posted at 2015-6-6 22:12
I assume you know you can tap on the screen of the app to tell the camera where to focus. Did you tr ...

Are you sure this is to focus the camera or it is just to select the exposure of the picture or both? (I don't own a P3 yet to test it myself)

Isaac
2015-6-6
Use props
Larry L
lvl.3

United States

ditzlerphoto Posted at 2015-6-6 22:12
I assume you know you can tap on the screen of the app to tell the camera where to focus. Did you tr ...

Yep, been there & done that. No help but I am thinking that is for exposure as Isaache said. It is a fixed focus lens/camera.  The lens is supposed to be set to focus on infinity.
2015-6-6
Use props
cary.lee
New

United States

Phantom 3 camera not sharp

My phantom 3 pro camera is even worse. Everything from 10 ft to infinite is out of focus, and there is nothing I can change or adjust.
Focus and aperture are both fixed. The lens looks okay on the outside.

Without a good camera, this drone is useless for me. Any suggestions?

Thanks!
2015-12-28
Use props
jack1144
lvl.3

Canada

cary.lee Posted at 2015-12-28 16:48
My phantom 3 pro camera is even worse. Everything from 10 ft to infinite is out of focus, and there  ...

Hi cary. This an old thread, so not sure if have tried some of the suggestions.Sorry if you have.
You removed the clean tape on the lens that is for shipping?
Shooting videos and photos requires different settings.Suggest no ND filters for photos and crank up shutter speed to get 0 EV ( reduce motion blur)
Try removing the UV filter on the ground JUST AS A TEST to see if thats the problem.
Try a large target at various distances ( 2ft, 10ft, 20ft,50ft)to see if factory focus is off
Good luck
2015-12-28
Use props
cary.lee
New

United States

jack1144 Posted at 2015-12-28 19:07
Hi cary. This an old thread, so not sure if have tried some of the suggestions.Sorry if you have.

Hello Jack,

Thank you very much for posting.
Yes, this is an old thread, but my drone is brand new (received 12/20/2015).
Yes, I removed the clear plastic protective sheet.
I did not use any filter.
I put the drone on a table, motor not running, and the photos include something from
10ft to infinity, nothing is in focus. shutter speed 1/2500s. Bright daylight.
Funny though, from photo to photo, the right hand side is always more in focus than the
left.
Video is better, but I don't have a TV to check 4K.

I've contacted DJI, they looked at my photos, and agreed that the camera may be broken.
They asked me to send it back for repair. The only problem is that they may not pay for shipping
and insurance, which is not fair to me because it is their defective product. I am still waiting for
their latest reply after the new year holiday.

Just want to share my bad experience with others. Will keep everyone posted of my adventure.
Good luck to everyone!

2016-1-1
Use props
jack1144
lvl.3

Canada

cary.lee Posted at 2016-1-2 01:35
Hello Jack,

Thank you very much for posting.

Dang, was hoping something simple for you.
When I say remove the UV filter, I was talking about the stock lense one that is on the camera. I just wondered if it may have a defect in the glass of the UV. Removing it would prove the camera fault or not.
Good luck cary
2016-1-2
Use props
ionut.macri.gma
New
Flight distance : 616663 ft
Romania

if you want to see something really horible take a look at my first picures with the P3P:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/iiwd5u6nvhegsk7/DJI_0075.DNG?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ng01rx08z40yl25/DJI_0075.JPG?dl=0

the focus is somewhere around 2-3 meters, I've checked it at home.
outside is just unusable and as you all now the aperture and focus are set from the factory.

tomorrow I will try to change the drone or get a refund.

2016-1-3
Use props
pyngu
lvl.1
Czechia

I have the same problem, but there are pretty blurry centers and sharper edges in my stills. So I think my P3A has no problem with focus, because the same distant objects are blurry in the center and sharp near the edges.  I have changed my first P3A with this issue, but my second one has it too.  I decided to ask the nearest service, but I´m curious for theirs answer.

2016-1-3
Use props
UAV 1
New

Australia

Hi everyone, new to the forums. I've bought a P3 Advanced few days ago and had my first flight yesterday. I noticed that the image quality I got in my direct feed wasn't that good. It's a bit out of focus and grainy. I recorded a quick video and this is exactly what my direct feed looked like. You can see it's coming a bit grainy and you can see pixels.

Here is my short video. Can anyone help?
2016-1-3
Use props
arives
lvl.4
Flight distance : 453684 ft
  • >>>
United States

I'd say that you were videoing in a high wind, and the bird was buffeting around to maintain a steady hover, and it did the best it could, which isn't always successful. Also if the ISO us high, there is a tendency to see a lot of graininess, and perhaps a jello effect. I'd guess the flight software is trying to steady everything because of the wind, and that alone may be causing most of the trouble. If this fuzziness is true on non-windy days, my thoughts are worthless.
2016-1-3
Use props
mjlstudios
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1540131 ft
  • >>>
United States

Hi Allen, I am a pro photographer also. That is as good as it gets with this camera. 12 megapixels isn't much now-a-daze and its not your DSLR  camera. It all comes down to the quality of the lens. Take a look at a high dollar stereo. You might have paid $5000.00 for the components, but if you are listening to your music using $20.00 speakers, then the quality of your music listening experience is  $20.00 and not the $5k you spent on the components. The same applies here! You have a $400 camera with a $5 dollar lens.
2016-1-3
Use props
UAV 1
New

Australia

Hi thanks for the feed back. Today I tried to see if there is any improvement with the P3 in one spot recording with the motors off.
As you can see there is a blur which can be seen in the trees at the end of my yard, on the grass and the shed in the corner which has lines running down it can't be seen in a certain area.

I've tried playing around with options but can't get a clear and sharp image as others who have a clear video.

2016-1-4
Use props
ionut.macri.gma
New
Flight distance : 616663 ft
Romania

pyngu@seznam.cz Posted at 2016-1-3 16:17
I have the same problem, but there are pretty blurry centers and sharper edges in my stills. So I th ...

they changed mine at the second one is ok. the first had blurry center and sharp edges, like yours.

2016-1-11
Use props
cary.lee
New

United States

jack1144 Posted at 2016-1-2 09:50
Dang, was hoping something simple for you.
When I say remove the UV filter, I was talking about th ...

I finally got my P3P back from repair. It is good now, as good as 12MP can do, cannot ask for too much.
It is because the image sensor was not positioned properly, so it was more out of focus on one side
than the other. The lens is perfectly fine.
May be in the future, we can open the back panel of the camera body and try to adjust the image sensor ourselves. However, mine was brand new, I don't want to mess with it myself; I would rather lose several weeks of flight time. No charge for the repair.
Perhaps I just have bad luck, I hope most of the P3P are sold in perfect condition.
Thanks everyone!
2016-1-23
Use props
hop_hopley
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2136716 ft
United Kingdom

Hi, would it be possible for you to upload a DNG file from you repaired camera. I think I'm having similar issues, comparing your new and old files might help?!
2016-3-31
Use props
knupla2
lvl.3
Flight distance : 922 ft
United States

How sharp do you think it needs to be?  This is NOT a DSLR.  This was shot with a P3P and fine tuned in Lightroom.

You photo does appear to have some issues.  I'd contact DJI about it.
2016-3-31
Use props
mattwaddy
New

United Kingdom

I've just inherited a P3 Pro, everything is fine other than the picture quality/sharpness coming from the camera. I'd been getting very blurry footage initially at 1/50th and 1/100th of a second for video. So did some tests with photographs yesterday in good sunlight, no wind, and at high shutter speeds. The image still looks soft/out of focus in spots, this is true of the JPG and of the RAW file. I know others have had similar issues addressed, but could someone take a quick look for me? I can obviously apply some sharpening in post to video and photos but the image coming out of the camera is lacking definition to start, so lower shutter speed work is going to be awful.

The following photo was at 1/450th lovely and sunny. Sharpness 0, contrast -1, saturation -1 In DLOG mode.

JPG
https://drive.google.com/file/d/ ... 3c/view?usp=sharing

DNG
https://drive.google.com/file/d/ ... 3M/view?usp=sharing

This is probably the sharpest picture I got out of 40 minutes, the rest are worse than this. My worry is that there is only 5 days left on the warranty, so I want to make sure this issue is sorted
2017-1-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules