A perfect idea, but not this time
953 21 2019-1-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Alex Uzan
lvl.1

France

The day I saw the Osmo Pocket on youtube, I preordered it right away.
This cam was all I was waiting for my travel, and the everyday life.

Unfortunately after three weeks of using the Osmo Pocket, I don’t think I’m keeping it.

Here’s why :
1) AF is not reliable at all. Which is difficult to accept with a that small sensor.
I thougt I was the only one, but the everydad video confirmed the issue.
3) Tracking doens’t work in 4k (no youtube reviewers mentioned it)
4) The osmo pocket is getting too hot, and with no amovible battery, that scares me about the device life.
5) There are too many settings that can be changed only with your smartphone.
6) Audio is terrible, and the jack adapter, is expensive, and not useable if you already use another usb accessory
7) Accessories are expensive, and not compatible between them, since they use the only usb or pin ports
8) I think the device is too light to offer a proper stabilization. Especially when you walk.
9) The quality indoor is what you can expect from a small sensor, not better.

If I have to be honest, my mainly concern is about the battery which only has a 400 cycle life.
To not be able to replace it is simply unaceptable on a 350€ product.

What about in 14 monthes if the battery dies when the warranty is over ?

I really like the idea about this camera, and will probably chek out if Dji release a V2, but so far, this V1 is not a keeper for me.

2019-1-12
Use props
Upscaleman
lvl.3
United States

That's great!  Return it!  99% of us are happy with our Osmo's and this isn't the place to tell us why it doesn't work for you.
2019-1-12
Use props
Alex Uzan
lvl.1

France

And who decide that it’s not the place ?
You’re happy with it, good for you.
So why lost your precious time to post in a thread that doesn’t mean anything to you ?

Descriptive complaint should be seen as customers feedback.
2019-1-12
Use props
Tide
First Officer
South Korea

I generally agree with your negative points except the heating issue.
My OP remain mostly at body temperature during the 2hr per day session for the last month. I do see people reporting high temperature issue so wondering what is the difference with my device.

I generally use both resolution at 24, 30, 60 at high quality mode if possible.
2019-1-12
Use props
Noel leoN
lvl.1

Netherlands

What happened to  reason 2, and in reason 6 you mention expensive. What is the price of the adaptor?
2019-1-13
Use props
M2Wair
First Officer
Flight distance : 1192231 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Buy go pro and see if it's better........it's not. The osmo outpunches its weight.
2019-1-13
Use props
theprisoner6666
lvl.3
Hong Kong

With regards to point 3, tracking works for all 4K frame rates apart from 60p. It even works in 50p.
2019-1-13
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

It sounds like buyers remorse to me, you bought something you can’t use so look for every excuse you can find on YT.
I mean Everyday Dad, a You Tuber who self confesses he’s not a photographer/videographer, and belongs to a host of other You Tubers who are also not photographers/videographers , Orignal Do Do, BK, truth is they all work of the same hymn sheet continuously copying and pasting from each other, you get much more clicks when you knock something than when you give an honest opinion.

Influencers yes, but incredibly bad ones and ones who always seem to make it up as they go, but a serious lack of savvy and knowledge about cameras and how they work and how photographers work them.

If any of these managed to influence you then you are extremely gullible.

1/the Auto focus works as well as a GH5 10 times the price, and a much lauded DSLR.
2/what expertise has everyday dad got, he self confesses to know little about photography or cameras, maybe you hope to be like him someday.
3/ Every electronic product gets hot or warm depending on use, but not a single failure from heat in the OP.
4/Audio is pretty acceptable for a unit this size and cost, do you think it’s any better or worse than any DSLR in its price bracket, or much more expensive cameras, which you also have to shed out a load of money to get good audio.
5/settings for OP without Phone, we will have almost all settings available with release of new FW in early February, as confirmed on this forum by dji moderator.
6/Device is to light, for you maybe but for it’s size it’s pretty strong and solid, all gimbals have problems when walking in a straight line, you need to learn technique for this, it requires a bit of work can’t be learned from your armchair.
7/ accessories are expensive and not compatible, ridiculous did you do any research on this product, most people buying cameras will at the very least check ports in and out. Also many accessories are pretty cheap on Amazon and compare to go pro accessories.
8/ the quality indoors, for a camera this small in low light performs well above its weight and comparison to other similar cameras will come out pretty well.

Regarding the battery, you say 400 charges how do you know this ? Enlighten me or is it a guess, yes using it constantly over a period of time will shorten the life of the battery .

But let’s take go pro, you need to use 2.5 batteries to get as much shooting time, if you shoot constantly over a period of two years you will go through a lot of batteries, enough that would give you a good saving to replace your old Osmo Pocket for a new one. For €29 you can get care refresh for your Osmo which lasts for two years , so if battery fails you would be well covered.

So yes for me it sounds like buyers remorse.
2019-1-13
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
Second Officer

United Kingdom

hallmark007 Posted at 1-13 04:38
It sounds like buyers remorse to me, you bought something you can’t use so look for every excuse you can find on YT.
I mean Everyday Dad, a You Tuber who self confesses he’s not a photographer/videographer, and belongs to a host of other You Tubers who are also not photographers/videographers , Orignal Do Do, BK, truth is they all work of the same hymn sheet continuously copying and pasting from each other, you get much more clicks when you knock something than when you give an honest opinion.

Can I say I generally agree with your main points but some countries can't get the additional cover from DJI and while I'd love to have it, I can't get it in the UK.
2019-1-13
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Ray-CubeAce Posted at 1-13 09:52
Can I say I generally agree with your main points but some countries can't get the additional cover from DJI and while I'd love to have it, I can't get it in the UK.

Having contacted dji support they say they will roll out care for UK and Ireland notsure when but from what I’ve been told it will come.
2019-1-13
Use props
The Rev
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1256837 ft
Germany

Ray-CubeAce Posted at 1-13 09:52

I don’t know why they don’t do it in the UK as I would use it also .
They offer this for Drones in the  UK as I have used it .
2019-1-13
Use props
Ken77
lvl.2
United States

It sounds like buyers remorse to me, you bought something you can’t use so look for every excuse you can find on YT.

Couldn’t agree more. When reading the OP’s post, I too wondered where he came up with 400 battery cycles and you’re done. I think these guys make it up as they go along.
2019-1-13
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
Second Officer

United Kingdom

hallmark007 Posted at 1-13 10:48
Having contacted dji support they say they will roll out care for UK and Ireland notsure when but from what I’ve been told it will come.

Maybe, but will they make it retrospective?
2019-1-13
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Ray-CubeAce Posted at 1-13 11:09

Well they did with spark when that was released so hopefully for those who would like it .
2019-1-13
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
Second Officer

United Kingdom

hallmark007 Posted at 1-13 11:13
Well they did with spark when that was released so hopefully for those who would like it .

That would be nice if they did. Most that offer these services do up until your normal warranty period runs out which would vary from country to country.  The odd few of those I have taken up have had me not needing them but you never know.
2019-1-13
Use props
KEN5423
lvl.3
United States

There is zero proof the OP only get's 400 charge's per battery so I wish people would just stfu about it.
2019-1-13
Use props
M2Wair
First Officer
Flight distance : 1192231 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

cgbrian.com Posted at 1-13 14:56
They are two totally different products.. and actually if you want to get technical.. the OP does "gimbal" which the GP doesnt.. the GP does a slew of other things the OP doesnt.. I have both.. not even a moderately good thing to compare these two

I also have both and I based my opinion on what I have experienced, the Osmo out performs the Gopro 7, so there you have it, I prefer the Osmo Pocket.  
2019-1-13
Use props
Curt1591
First Officer
Thailand

OMG! Someone who read the specs and made the decision before buying!
2019-1-13
Use props
theprisoner6666
lvl.3
Hong Kong

Ray-CubeAce Posted at 1-13 11:09

I guess they'll want a video to prove it still functions 100% correctly, just like with the Mavic.
2019-1-13
Use props
Alex Uzan
lvl.1

France

It sounds like buyers remorse to me, you bought something you can’t use so look for every excuse you can find on YT.

Hello Halmark007

Thanks to have taken time to answer.

There is no really buyer’s remorse, since I can send it back to the store with no cost. I was just sharing my thoughts/feedback here.

1. yeah, so no one on this forum has AF issue ?
Also, GH5 AF is garbage (I use it every day), but it’s not an excuse for the Osmo Pocket AF pumping issue, since its sensor is much smaller.

2. I just quoted Evrydad video, since it’s the only one to honestly mentionned it.
And by the way, I’m a filmaker and photographer, so no, you’re wrong.

3. Again, did You read the forum ? There are some overheating issues.
But I must admit, I had none (but it’s a really cold winter)

4. Acceptable ok. But not really when you’re not filming yourself, since the mics are behind and at the bottom
5. That’s good news

6. I use a Zhiyun Crane a lot, so I know Ninja walk.
But it doesn’t work with the Osmo Pocket. And to be sure it’s not me, I checked every youtube video on the pocket, and I haven’t seen any video yet where there is no up&down effect when you walk with it.

7. Ok, I disagree with it. It doesn’t bother me to pay for accessories that improve my gear.  But it does when I have to pay to make it useable.

8. it works. I was expecting more. My mistake.

About the battery with 400 battery cycles, I’ve read this here, on the dji forum.
But the issue is not  the 400 cycles (it’s quite normal for Lithium-Ion battery), but what to do when it’s done since you can not replace it ?
Is Dji will change it after the waranty with a cost ?

Despite that, I really like the Osmo Pocket concept.
Bit it’s so obvious that the missed some points, which will be fixed in a Next V2.
2019-1-14
Use props
Alex Uzan
lvl.1

France

theprisoner6666 Posted at 1-13 04:18
With regards to point 3, tracking works for all 4K frame rates apart from 60p. It even works in 50p.

You’re right. My mistake
2019-1-14
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Alex Uzan Posted at 1-14 14:06
Hello Halmark007

Thanks to have taken time to answer.

Well I suppose we might have to agree to disagree, I wish you well and hope you get what your looking, I admire people who have the strength of their convictions.
2019-1-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules