123117 137 2019-1-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fansc9d6728d
lvl.1
Flight distance : 564596 ft
Canada

What a mixed bag of questions!
Most of the questions were covered in an online course I did, but there were still a few oddball questions that I had to guess at. Many were very easy and common sense though!

I passed with a 91% on my first attempt.
2019-5-9
Use props
djiuser_HXRDnujkbcpP
lvl.1

Canada

Good tips here. avoid a $3000 fine spend the $15 for canada's newest cash grab. passed first time.
thanks
2019-5-19
Use props
fansb113793c
lvl.2
Flight distance : 117116 ft
United States

The test is quite hard and very much unrelated to the topic.
"When you lose communication with Air Traffic Control in class C airspace....".... I am not permitted to fly in a controlled airspace.... I can't fly above 400ft how do I end up above 4,000ft in Class C airspace?
"Alcohol affect on 6,000ft altitude is ... times as at sea level". (I guessed two)... I am not supposed to fly 12 hours after any alcohol. What difference does it make if it is two times?
roughly 10% of question were related to the basic operations. Rest seems made to overwhelm and repress people.
I had Canadian Airspace Regulation opened, but did not find them helpful. Google, critical thinking, process of elimination of wrong answers seems to do the trick. Passed with 80%
2019-5-27
Use props
ririlan
Second Officer
Flight distance : 879154 ft
United States

fansb113793c Posted at 5-27 09:30
"When you lose communication with Air Traffic Control in class C airspace....".... I am not permitted to fly in a controlled airspace.... I can't fly above 400ft how do I end up above 4,000ft in Class C airspace?
"Alcohol affect on 6,000ft altitude is ... times as at sea level". (I guessed two)... I am not supposed to fly 12 hours after any alcohol. What difference does it make if it is two times?

"Alcohol affect on 6,000ft altitude is ... times as at sea level"... who cares! It's a drone, I'm on ground level...  Doesn't make sense and we look like fools (well Garneau, our great astronaut)!!!
2019-5-27
Use props
DroneNewsGuy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 253 ft
  • >>>
Canada

ff22 Posted at 1-14 07:58
I presume this would also apply to visitors from south of the border - US "guests"

https://dronereviewsandnews.com/ ... t-you-need-to-know/
2019-5-29
Use props
DickNinja420
New

Canada

I've been trying to pass the Advanced Exam. What a nightmare... I've failed twice so far, and I somehow did better on the test where I didn't study for 3 hours beforehand (70% at first; 66% second). What a load... I think I'm gonna try to just complete the basic test, then go from there.

Mind you, if I'm suffering from hypoxia, I'll know why I am thanks to this, Transport Canada
2019-5-30
Use props
djiuser_gvMMxUyqGNXm
New

Canada

awesome Nico. what about drone insurance. best deal in Canada?
2019-6-2
Use props
fans8b3c34ab
New

United Kingdom

Looks like DJI should begin development of ultra light drones..they’re out there already with a hefty price tag for a limited market but no reason why DJI couldn’t hit the mass market with one.
2019-6-6
Use props
USS Pretty-Bird (NCC-1702)
Second Officer
Flight distance : 872572 ft
United States

Gazoo Posted at 3-17 13:36
Illegal actions on the net.......nnnnnooooooo say it aint so!

LOL. Ya, give it a few months and every question will be posted by someone...or someone will setup a forum (or youtube livestream) where people can take the test in real-time with 50 other people chiming in on the answers...
2019-6-10
Use props
Second Officer
United States

fansb113793c Posted at 5-27 09:30
"Alcohol affect on 6,000ft altitude is ... times as at sea level". (I guessed two)... I am not supposed to fly 12 hours after any alcohol. What difference does it make if it is two times?

I agree that they need to fix many questions in the 'Basic' test.  However, I believe it is their intention to make 'Basic' operators AWARE of some 'Advanced' information which is reasonable.  For instance, a Basic Operator should know what Class C Airspace is and why ATC communication is required so that they understand the implications of flying in areas that they are not qualified to fly.  It is not reasonable to think that one does not need to know this information just because you are not permitted to fly in Class C.   Also so that they are aware of the risks they pose IF they fly NEAR such an airspace and potentially and inadvertently stray (or lose control) and enter such airspace.  FYI, Class C does not begin at 4000', it includes ground all the way up to 4000'.  Other questions are definately related to Airplane Pilot training and have no place in this drone test
2019-6-10
Use props
Second Officer
United States

marcovth Posted at 3-9 11:49
90% Of current drone users are doing this occasionally maybe 5 6 times a year on a day out, and they absolutely don't care about commercial operations.

I can tell you now that half of those will not fly anymore next year or fly illegally in remote enough areas.

"I am totally convinced that this was designed to get rid of as many hobbyist drone users as possible. "

There are lots of evidence to suggest this is totally true.  Many of the tough Canadian regs (interim) prior to June 1 were based on fear and false facts (and still are).  FYI, Transport Canada was focused on much reduced regulations on drones with mass less than 1kg.  They were planning a "Complex Urban Operations" category only for 1KG to 25kg.  That is, until they discovered that the Mavic Air and Mavic Pro class of drone was UNDER 1KG!.  This would have defeated the purpose of much of their rules since many operators use these drones, so they changed (conveniently) the mass classification to "250g upto 25 kg".  
2019-6-10
Use props
Gadget1973
lvl.2

Canada

i did well on the rules and common stuff but have some reviewing of topics i didnt exspect to see so i can fly my little drone..lol...thanks for the info
2019-6-16
Use props
starling
lvl.1

Canada

djiuser_HXRDnujkbcpP Posted at 5-19 04:31
Good tips here. avoid a $3000 fine spend the $15 for canada's newest cash grab. passed first time.
thanks

Do you keep the log of all your flights and modifications? How about written emergency procedures and pre-flight check list handy at all times? No? That would be the same fine as if you didn't bother with registering or passing the test at all ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
2019-6-16
Use props
Gadget1973
lvl.2

Canada

starling Posted at 6-16 09:13
Do you keep the log of all your flights and modifications? How about written emergency procedures and pre-flight check list handy at all times? No? That would be the same fine as if you didn't bother with registering or passing the test at all ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Myself ...all i was gonna do was put a copy of written procedures in drone case but the biggest pain i see is flight logs for other drones i have that dont record them.. i guess ill have to keep a drone journal in the car..lol...such a pain for being a hobbiest really
2019-6-16
Use props
Gadget1973
lvl.2

Canada

Kind of a bummer day...fathers day and kids and i wanted to go fly our drones in a park we fly at often but i didnt have a drone under 250g with decent vid quality so we didnt bother and just flew some micros in the back yard
2019-6-16
Use props
Capo
lvl.2
Flight distance : 178196 ft
United States

I just passed mine with about 80%. Took about 15 minutes to complete. I looked at the study guidelines, then read the 9xx regs, then took the test. I did google a couple of items, but most were fairly obvious. That being said, I was a commercial pilot over 30 years ago, and figured I forgot most of it, but several questions including fixed wing air frame and meteorology questions were ones I knew. The questions I missed were mainly about ham radio operation and call signs. Probably should have looked those up, but I had a pretty good idea I passed as 65 was a low bar so just got it done.

I do have to say though there was a lot of irrelevant questions unrelated to drone activity. My past life as an aircraft pilot certainly helped, even though it was long ago.
2019-6-18
Use props
Nicoricosancho
First Officer
Flight distance : 13196 ft
Canada

Gazoo Posted at 4-7 15:04
Wrote the  exam today and got a 74%.
Used the links provided above as well as google but mostly just  used my common sense.
A lot of really stupid questions that really are pointless to know as a drone pilot but hey what do you expect from the Government.

good stuff my friend ! glad to help !
2019-6-22
Use props
Nicoricosancho
First Officer
Canada

Tempus Posted at 4-28 11:37
Took the tips here, and I passed with a 74%.

Some really dumb questions on it, though.

yewww congrats!!
2019-6-22
Use props
Nicoricosancho
First Officer
Canada

djiuser_HXRDnujkbcpP Posted at 5-19 04:31
thanks

there you go !!
2019-6-22
Use props
Nicoricosancho
First Officer
Canada

DickNinja420 Posted at 5-30 10:07
I've been trying to pass the Advanced Exam. What a nightmare... I've failed twice so far, and I somehow did better on the test where I didn't study for 3 hours beforehand (70% at first; 66% second). What a load... I think I'm gonna try to just complete the basic test, then go from there.

Mind you, if I'm suffering from hypoxia, I'll know why I am thanks to this, Transport Canada

going for advanced operation test today ill share my tips n tricks when i suceed !
2019-6-22
Use props
Nicoricosancho
First Officer
Canada

Gadget1973 Posted at 6-16 11:38
Kind of a bummer day...fathers day and kids and i wanted to go fly our drones in a park we fly at often but i didnt have a drone under 250g with decent vid quality so we didnt bother and just flew some micros in the back yard

didn't you pass the basic test? or the park is within airport restriction..?
2019-6-22
Use props
Nicoricosancho
First Officer
Canada

yewww almost 15k views on this one !!
2019-6-22
Use props
Gadget1973
lvl.2

Canada

Thanks.studied info in links and just got an 82%
2019-6-23
Use props
Gadget1973
lvl.2

Canada

Nicoricosancho Posted at 6-22 05:24
didn't you pass the basic test? or the park is within airport restriction..?

Didnt pass first try...one question off but wrote today and passed with an 82...so if the wind drops off a bit later off to the park we go
2019-6-23
Use props
Nicoricosancho
First Officer
Canada

Gadget1973 Posted at 6-23 08:32
Didnt pass first try...one question off but wrote today and passed with an 82...so if the wind drops off a bit later off to the park we go

Congrats don't forget to register the drone as well for 5$
2019-6-24
Use props
Adelb
New
Italy

Hi I'm from Europe and this Sommer I had this bad idea to come for vacation to Canada thinking to make nice videos with my drone.
Happy to know about new rules.

So what a tourist has to do to flight his drone? somebody say nothing with a status of tourist ( not an operator), waiting for new special rules. somebody say the only way is make sfoc , but this doesn't  seem only complicate but pretty impossibile for a recreational user like me and Has no sense.

Any suggestions?
2019-6-27
Use props
Gadget1973
lvl.2

Canada

Nicoricosancho Posted at 6-24 17:38
Congrats  don't forget to register the drone as well for 5$

I registered 3 drones right after passing..lol
2019-6-30
Use props
Nicoricosancho
First Officer
Canada

Adelb Posted at 6-27 16:34
Hi I'm from Europe and this Sommer I had this bad idea to come for vacation to Canada thinking to make nice videos with my drone.
Happy to know about new rules.

I know this is one down side of the new regulation for foreigners, look onto transport Canada website to see if you can actually pass that test, it's quite easy if you follow the tricks I gave on thread 1. Let me know! sorry to hear!
2019-7-2
Use props
cloudmaster
New

Canada

Just did my exam in 28 minutes......read the "Part IX — Remotely Piloted Aircraft Systems" once which took about 30 minutes. I got 68%(pass). A lot of the questions are common sense. Pretty easy exam.
2019-7-13
Use props
Gadget1973
lvl.2

Canada

Nicoricosancho Posted at 6-22 05:21
going for advanced operation test today ill share my tips n tricks when i suceed !

How did advance exam go?...any tips?
2019-7-14
Use props
SkyySpyy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 338222 ft
Canada

Canadas liberal government is as stupid as the test. Complete crap for questions. They just want to kill the hobby. Got a 71% by fluke. Dont really care I just took it cause a friend was going to as well. STUPID scam for 10$  
2019-7-14
Use props
flyguyshamwow
New

Canada

Hi everyone....my first post.  Thanks for the amazing tips in here.  I studies for 20 minutes, used your tips, and passed with a score of 88%.  Found the exam to be pretty intuitive, leveraged the first link and Google a a lot, and used some common sense and process of elimination to get through the test.  
2019-7-14
Use props
Nicoricosancho
First Officer
Canada

flyguyshamwow Posted at 7-14 08:16
Hi everyone....my first post.  Thanks for the amazing tips in here.  I studies for 20 minutes, used your tips, and passed with a score of 88%.  Found the exam to be pretty intuitive, leveraged the first link and Google a a lot, and used some common sense and process of elimination to get through the test.

glad it helped you !! enjoy flying legally! register your drone and bring your papers with ya
2019-7-18
Use props
Nicoricosancho
First Officer
Canada

Gadget1973 Posted at 7-14 06:24
How did advance exam go?...any tips?

hey, no I did not pass yet, tried 3 times and failed (without any studying). it is harder, faster, and more questions. Ill let you know when I  have time to take it again. Getting slammed with video contracts these days
2019-7-18
Use props
David Martin Graff
First Officer
Flight distance : 106566408 ft
  • >>>
United States

Nicely done - thanks again for sharing!
2019-7-19
Use props
djiuser_BJsOtM3YBFEn
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1004 ft
Canada

I took the basic test and I failed I've got 63% I want to pass any way to help me to pass it's hard.
thanks
2019-8-15
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>

Its a real shame foreigners cant do the test too.  I beleive we have to prove we did the local country equivalent test, but at least for the UK that doesn't exist yet.  I did however do the French test and passed just for fun.
2019-8-15
Use props
Tollytastic
lvl.4
Flight distance : 30932 ft
France

DAFlys Posted at 8-15 23:16
Its a real shame foreigners cant do the test too.  I beleive we have to prove we did the local country equivalent test, but at least for the UK that doesn't exist yet.  I did however do the French test and passed just for fun.

Hi DAFlys, it's good that you used the term"fun" in relation to the French test

The French “Non Commercial“test is something that perhaps other Governments should follow if they want to introduce regulation as in comparison with the Canadian test (I always thought of Canada as such a progressive liberal country) is utterly sensible. I think it could be held up as an example of good practice for the following reasons.

1.        It covers subjects expressly concerned with drone and RC safety and includes a section on privacy issues while filming.
2.        It is supported by a full online training package in French and English
3.        It is free of Charge
4.        It requires you to attain 100% in a time limited period but you can take the test multiple times and as all questions are relatable it encourages you to learn and not have to reference the answers which would seem imperative in the Canadian test.
5.        Registration of the drone is required but also free.
6.        If you have difficulties (I had a technical issue) it is supported by a team which you can contact directly.
7.        All certificates can be downloaded and printed

As anyone who lives in France will tell you it is rare to praise the administration but in this case I feel that they have got the balance completely right. The test encourages learning but also encourages drone use as it is friendly, approachable and informs you of your rights as well as your responsibilities.

I feel very lucky to have a test system framed in this way because I now fly my Mavic 2 with confidence and being in France I know that the law will be enforced hopefully controlling those who would give the hobby a poor reputation

I must say however that I have family in BC and still think it is one of the best places on earth to film with a drone even if the test is perhaps not perfect.

Tolly
2019-8-16
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>

Tollytastic Posted at 8-16 01:36
Hi DAFlys, it's good that you used the term"fun" in relation to the French test

The French “Non Commercial“test is something that perhaps other Governments should follow if they want to introduce regulation as in comparison with the Canadian test (I always thought of Canada as such a progressive liberal country) is utterly sensible. I think it could be held up as an example of good practice for the following reasons.

I agree.  I meant fun because I don't have any plans to visit france in the near future.  But I'm ready if i do.
2019-8-16
Use props
Tollytastic
lvl.4
Flight distance : 30932 ft
France

DAFlys Posted at 8-16 02:07
I agree.  I meant fun because I don't have any plans to visit france in the near future.  But I'm ready if i do.

Hi DAFlys,

Yes, please do come to France, we have so much space it's just a joy with the drone and most of the public are very supportive.

I do go to the UK quite often so I hope that they follow the same principles in any test requirement  as it seems to work so well.
Cheers

Tolly
2019-8-16
Use props
1234Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules